Author Topic: rooftop tent position fold out to the side or rear  (Read 7817 times)

Offline patrol2.8

• Learning the Ropes
rooftop tent position fold out to the side or rear
« on: March 13, 2011, 12:52:13 PM »
Just purchased one of these rooftop tents from flea bay and now wondering which is the best way to position it side or rear the truck is a patrol gu with a rear bar with a wheel carrier and a dual jerry holder spare wheel also has a hi lift attached to it i like the idea of folding off the rear as it comes with the annex underneath (but not sure how it will go with the rear bar) and it also came with a side awning what are your thoughts
THERES ONLY ONE THING TOUGHER THAN MY TRUCK (YES DEAR GOING  OUT TO CUT THE GRASS NOW)

Offline Moto Mech

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: rooftop tent position fold out to the side or rear
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 01:17:22 PM »
We had a ARB RTT and I mounted it so it opened over the rear of the vehicle as we also had the annex.I thought it would be good to have a room on the back of the vehicle.
To tell the truth, it wasnt big enough to turn around in, with the ladder, spare wheel and jerry can holder in there, plus the tail gate. But to solve the problem, we sold the RTT after one use and are going to purchase a OZ Tent for when the camper trailer stays at home.
ARB, the only gear for my Landcruiser 105
Red Earth Camper Trailer

Offline patrol2.8

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 01:59:38 PM »
Thanks moto tech  we purchased the rooftop tent for the same reason you are buying the oz tent  so hopefully we can live with the lack of room maybe off the side might be better and just make up an awning for the rear so can still get to the fridge and that when when it rains so next question then would be is the tent better folding off to the right or the left i have an awning to mount aswell and was going to put that on the left
THERES ONLY ONE THING TOUGHER THAN MY TRUCK (YES DEAR GOING  OUT TO CUT THE GRASS NOW)

Offline albyback1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Never too busy to go camping
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 03:45:22 PM »
Ive been using a rooftop tent for the last 6 years - a hannibal, made in South Africa. Brilliant and easy. I too have a room underneath and do not bother to set it up.
My tent is mounted on what I now drive - a GU series 4 wagon. Its been on my 79 ute on top of the canopy, my troopie, rear opening, my short wheel base BJ40, also rearward facing, my falcon ute rear facing on a canopy, my 95 series prado, also rear facing and now its on the patrol.

I own an awning from ARB which opens up to the side... mush more useful than having the rooftop tent open that way.

enjoy your tent. Ive spent more than 350 nights out in mine and I love it... the camper trailer is literally brand new this week so I will reserve comment on which is better

cheers

Alby
Every where I go I bring pleasure. Sometimes it's when I arrive... but usually its when I leave!

Offline patrol2.8

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 04:39:11 PM »
Alby thanks for the reply  our camper is great but as its an older style and for over night stops its pain (to my back)to put up and down so hopefully the rooftop tent will be easier as my back is going out more than me just lately one more  question though as my backs giving me trouble i don't plan on taking it off the rack for a while once its mounted how doess it affect your fuel economy my trucks a 2.8 turbo

Offline albyback1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 04:50:06 PM »
I am convince my rig is responsible for the wealth in the oil countries.

I am averaging 16 liters per 100 km... sux for a 3 liter diesel. i was expecting better

I find that its no so much the economy that bothers me as much as the loss of speed and power from the wind it catches.. but for the comfort its worth it. Its not as bad as towing a trailer but still not impressive.

I am trying to post some pictures but im figuring I am still not been a member long enuf yet to be trusted with a post.. so time will tell.

My hotmail address is alby.wagemaker@hotmail.com  I can send you pictures of my rig that way

cheers

Alby
Every where I go I bring pleasure. Sometimes it's when I arrive... but usually its when I leave!

Offline albyback1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 04:53:49 PM »
oh, danger will robinson... ive found how to post a picture lol

This is the rig with the tent packed up

Offline albyback1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 04:54:59 PM »
this is the tent set up in the bridebellas

Offline patrol2.8

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 05:05:38 PM »
Alby
Looks a nice set up thats hows i was thinking of going with this one and reckon i will as for the loss of speed from the wind they catch i maybe be in trouble with all the awsome power the mighty 2.8 pumps out hehehehehe