Author Topic: Electronic books  (Read 4877 times)

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
Electronic books
« on: March 08, 2011, 12:25:51 AM »
Have always been a reader (it's an age thing!). But draw the line at carting the number of books I would need for a long trip. Getting vaguely interested in the new e-book readers, like the Kindle and others. The weight/space saving would be incalculable.
Any MySwaggers got one and would care to comment?
Cheers, Tony

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
Re: Electronic books
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 12:42:40 AM »
I think the Kindle is a great idea, my wife loves hers. There's a lot to be said about I-Pads etc but the small differences made it easy for us to decide. There are small things you need to look at and consider. E.G. there is no back light in the Kindle but that works in that there is no glare will reading in all other conditions. I know it sounds cool to have an all singing all dancing device but sometimes the best option is the one designed for that one job, ie, book reading..
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 09:17:39 AM »
I started by using a small netbook, then progressed to the iPhone as my e reader which is what I use now and I love.  It means I always have hundreds of books with me no matter where I am and  it is always pretty much fully charged.

I then download from about four major sites, they all have different readers Wattpad, Kindle, E Reader.

Reading at night in bed simply hit the night button and the word and background colours are reversed. 

The only issue is the size of the text may take some getting use too.  I would go a tablet / iPad over a Kindle.  For the extra couple of dollars why not have the ability to surf the Internet, send emails?  Otherwise it's an extra extra device you have to remember to charge

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 09:23:04 AM »
We are in the process of looking at these at the moment.  Like AKB my wife currently uses her Iphone as an ereader.  We have predominantly looked at three ereaders, Kindle, Kobo and Sony. 

One of the advantages of the ereaders is that they use relatively little power because they basically do nothing but allow you to read books and according to their stats and what we have read in reviews they will last over a week without needing to be charged.

We have been contemplating the Ipad idea however, they are more then just a few dollars more expensive probably close to double the price of an ereader and yes whilst you can do more with it that will also mean it would need to be charged more regularly.

So the jury is still out for us however, its likely to be either a Sony ereader or the Ipad.

Offline Doug.b

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dislike keyboard Heroes
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:34:49 AM »
I bought my son a kindle for christmas last year. I bought it from http://www.amazon.com/ because of the good exchange rate.

He uses it all the time and thinks it the bees knees, it stores 2500 books, change the font size for reading and can read in the direct sun light and has long battery life.

We only bought the wifi model, so you still can access the internet in wifi areas.
Also the books are dirt cheap from amazon

I think that the kindle is the best on the market

Doug
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 09:36:25 AM by Doug.b »
2012 PAJERO VRX  - Adventure offroad camper  - Cape York 
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=35363.0

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 09:47:50 AM »
Hi All,

This is really timely for us. I bought my 13yo a Kindle from amazon for christmas. She loves it.

We have had reason to return the device (unrelated to product problems) and have found the support second to none. Amazon sent us a replacement before we even returned the product, refunded the cost of returning the device and called us from the US at their cost on numerous occassions. I have never found such supportive customer service.

The money is clearly in the their book sales, they want you to be using their product, but it is absolutely worth it. For the record, the book prices are significantly lower than hard copy books also!

I can't reccomend them highly enough.

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 10:09:58 AM »
We have a Sony PRS-650.  Good unit. Takes heaps of books and the battery lasts forever on one charge. Highlight a word and a dictionary pops up with the words meanings etc.

Better than the iPad for reading due to its e-ink screen (as well as the iPad battery limitation of 10hrs). Text size can be changed and formats to fit the screen. 

Take a bit of getting used to, but vgood.
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 10:18:19 AM »
Kobo here.
I have had it for a year or so and no problems.
I like it because I' am not limited to where I can purchase my ebooks or what format my ebooks need to be purchased in.
Also get this program. http://calibre-ebook.com/download
Then you can purchase ebooks anywhere on the net in any format you want and this program will convert it to your e- reader format.
Good luck with your decision...
Bill and Morag
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 10:27:33 AM by Bill »
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Doug.b

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dislike keyboard Heroes
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 10:26:25 AM »
the other thing with the kindle wifi is when you are in a wifi area you can purchase books from the kindle store and 30 seconds later it is in your kindle ready to read, no need to connect with the computer.
You also can get a sample of a book for free, to see if you like it before you buy it.
2012 PAJERO VRX  - Adventure offroad camper  - Cape York 
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=35363.0

Offline Ben...

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Breath In - Breath Out.
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 10:29:52 AM »
i use my ipad. i have a free app called ibooks, and i have about 800 books and about 100 magazines on it. keeps me occupied.
Mazda BT50 GT
Lifestyle 360

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:48:55 AM »
I have a android based tablet on order (I think it is still somewhere in China) which I will use for books and magazines...when it finally arrives
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 10:05:19 PM »

I like actual books myself.  I have a few talking books (cassette's can you believe it?).

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 10:13:11 PM »
My father bought a Kindle for his wife for Christmas. With the joys of ageing she can barely read books, so the font size was changed and she can now read again. Late January she had a shoulder reconstruction and now cannot physically turn the pages in a book, So it has become even more worthwile.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

DavidB

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 06:56:30 AM »
My wife uses a kindle and thinks it is great. Your kindle can also read aloud your books (text to speech). The voices aren't great, but a good feature if needed.

Dave.

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2011, 08:28:37 AM »
Thanks to the free app, you can make your iPhone, iPad or computer think its a Kindle.
One advantage of the Kindle unit is that the e-ink uses no power except when you refresh the screen / turn the page.   They're meant to be a sharper font too.   
I dont have a Kindle but use my netbook to read Amazon books via the Kindle software.   If I don't have my netbook with me I can use my iPhone and it knows where I'm up to!
The best thing is the easy access to books.    I once finished reading a book at 11pm one night that was part of a trilogy.   The story was left hanging, to be continued in the next book in the series.   I couldn't wait, so got out of bed, logged on to Amazon, downloaded the next book and ten minutes later back to reading in bed.    And I only had to get out of bed cos the home WiFi doesn't reach the bedroom.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline robsjack

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 10:19:02 AM »
I bought my wife an iriver e-book last year which she really liked. The only think was that the screens are very fragile and after being knocked off a chair accidentally while we were camping the screen cracked and it was useless. Recently though my wife got a replacement e-book from kobo. She really likes it.

The technology for the e-books is different from the tablets. Where tablets have a standard screen which is back-lit and looks more like a computer. Because the screens are powered all the time while you use them they use alot more power and will need to be charged regularly. Some say they are harder on your eyes as well. The e-books like kobo use a different technology (electronic ink) so it looks more like a traditional book page. Easier in the eyes and it only uses power when you turn a page. My wife gets more than a week out of a single charge and shes an avid reader (particularly when we're away camping.

rob

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 11:03:21 AM »
Mrs T & I have an iPad each.  Fantastic bit of kit.  I travel for work and no longer carry a laptop.  My iPad allows me internet access, email contact, KINDLE e-book reader, and so much more.  Highly recommended.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 12:10:39 PM »
Love my 3G Kindle. Allows you to browse books and order wirelessly, and they'll download anytime you're in a 3G network area. 3G service is free.

Thought I was a book-lover 'til I got this. With the cover with inbuilt reading light it's the best gadget I've had in years. Most people who see it want one, and even my technophobic old mum has bought one!...

Only dislike is that not ALL books are available via Kindle, but it's a pretty good range and it saves me $$$ in book costs. Oh, battery lasts ages too, I've even used the light in bed for a couple of weeks without a recharge (runs off the Kindle's battery too). The Stephen Hawking-like text-to- voice function is a giggle but glad I'm not blind...

If you get a Kindle make sure you get a leather cover with light, and an Australian adapter for charging. For 189USD + p&p it was worth every cent.

Ipad's are nice, but alot more $$ for a decent one, and I'm not an Apple fan...

Cheers,

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline Sharky

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • AORC - Odyssey Export
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 05:28:39 PM »
Another vote for Kindle. Bought my wife one for Christmas and she loves it. Crisp font, easy to read with loads of books available. Didn't buy the 3G one as we will stock up on books before heading away usually (and it holds loads of books!). I also bought the leather cover with the LED light that pops out of the top right corner. Plenty of light to read at night.
Only trouble I have is trying to nick it off her so that I can use it!  ;D
Sharky
LC105 & AORC - Odyssey Export

Offline ldsparrow

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • www.1yearoff.com.au
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 06:24:05 PM »
I have the Sony and it is great for travelling as it has a long battery life, its light to hold when reading and carries more books than I can read. If I had my time again though I would probably go the Ipad, main reason for that though is that I read a lot of travel adventure stories and I would love to be able to jump onto a web browser and look up the areas I am reading about, assuming I am connected to wifi.
Blog: www.1yearoff.com.au

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 11:11:27 AM »
Interesting read guys, keep it coming.
By what I have read so far the opinions are spread. If you only want to read, get a e-reader.
Do you want to do more, get an Ipad
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »
Interesting read guys, keep it coming.
By what I have read so far the opinions are spread. If you only want to read, get a e-reader.
Do you want to do more, get an Ipad

I have an Ipad, next time I would get a tablet they are cheaper and do much the same thing.  (although I may be disbarred from the Cult of Apple for saying such a thing)

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 12:50:34 PM »
Yes, they are expensive.
We are normally getting those gadgets when they are old fashion.
We have an ipod since 1 year!!
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline coffs camping

• Tent User
  • We are three - Mum, Ms.15 and Mr.9
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 08:11:02 PM »
I bought my wife an iriver e-book last year which she really liked. The only think was that the screens are very fragile and after being knocked off a chair accidentally while we were camping the screen cracked and it was useless.

This is what happened to my daughters kindle - see my earlier posting. Amazon called me, via their contact us tab, I explained what happened, and because it was lower than shoulder height and should have survived the fall they exchanged it free. They dispatched the new one immediately and I have 30 days to retrun the broken one and they pay for postage. Fabulous service. Their money is in selling the books. Cant buy them if your reader is broken ...

Go Amazon!! Ms 13 says Kindle rock!!

J
Love weekend camping whenever we can in our 2002 Cub Spacematic (Transcontinental Pack) with the 80series LC. See you out there!! J