Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 687460 times)

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1900 on: May 26, 2015, 12:14:32 AM »
Have you all seen this ?

https://www.lily.camera/

Cheers, Scott

I'm gunna have to get one just to pee all the kids off I can take the ultimate selfie  :cup:

There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Spartan

• Tent User
« Reply #1901 on: May 26, 2015, 11:13:03 PM »
Pretty happy with myself after my last couple of flights this week.

I had found lately that I was hitting the limits of the tricopter pretty easily and getting pretty comfortable flying accro rather than self level. So I decided it was time to attempt some flips and rolls.

I cranked up my stick scaling on the KK board from 30 to 45 and found it was way more responsive but still not good/quick enough for flips so ended up at 55. I found it too twitchy in normal flight for me then, so I upped my expo from 30 to 40 which helped a lot with fine control but still allowed me to chuck it around when I want.

So today was flips, rolls and wing overs and only one crash! Flying almost totally on accro except for a couple of times when I needed a break in concentration and just as a safety thing to get my bearings again.

I can't believe how different the performance is with just a few setting changes! I was getting worried that I was expecting too much out of the tri but no, this thing will well and truly out fly me for a while yet! I think I'm finding it easier to fly aggressively in accro than just trying to potter around and ease into it. I seem to find a bit of a rhythm and fly a bit instinctively rather than over thinking things. Whatever - I am just loving chucking it around at the moment!!

On another note, the sunnysky motors that I got from Banggood are awesome. Not fake ones which I was really worried about and soooo much smoother than the old NTMs. The 9x5 carbon fibre props are way smoother than the old gemfans too but they have taken a bit of getting used to. Definitely not as much performance at lower rpms but so much more consistent. They hardly even break a sweat as do the ESCs so I'm glad I'm not pushing any of the components too hard.
2011 Jayco Hawk Outback
2009 Holden Colorado LTR dual cab

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1902 on: May 28, 2015, 09:28:48 AM »
Pretty happy with myself after my last couple of flights this week.

I had found lately that I was hitting the limits of the tricopter pretty easily and getting pretty comfortable flying accro rather than self level. So I decided it was time to attempt some flips and rolls.

I cranked up my stick scaling on the KK board from 30 to 45 and found it was way more responsive but still not good/quick enough for flips so ended up at 55. I found it too twitchy in normal flight for me then, so I upped my expo from 30 to 40 which helped a lot with fine control but still allowed me to chuck it around when I want.

So today was flips, rolls and wing overs and only one crash! Flying almost totally on accro except for a couple of times when I needed a break in concentration and just as a safety thing to get my bearings again.

I can't believe how different the performance is with just a few setting changes! I was getting worried that I was expecting too much out of the tri but no, this thing will well and truly out fly me for a while yet! I think I'm finding it easier to fly aggressively in accro than just trying to potter around and ease into it. I seem to find a bit of a rhythm and fly a bit instinctively rather than over thinking things. Whatever - I am just loving chucking it around at the moment!!

On another note, the sunnysky motors that I got from Banggood are awesome. Not fake ones which I was really worried about and soooo much smoother than the old NTMs. The 9x5 carbon fibre props are way smoother than the old gemfans too but they have taken a bit of getting used to. Definitely not as much performance at lower rpms but so much more consistent. They hardly even break a sweat as do the ESCs so I'm glad I'm not pushing any of the components too hard.
Sounds like your having lots of fun! I havent done a flip for a few months after i crashed the mini quad. Acro mode is how i learnt to fly. Steep but worth it.
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1903 on: May 28, 2015, 09:33:15 AM »
Well i think ive resolved the gittery esc issue. Had to flash simonk onto the blue series esc. Done one, still testing before i update the other three. Should know for sure tonight.  Then I can get back to having some flying fun.

Still to yet to successfully flash a silabs based esc but I'll get there. Both my new plush 30A and emax blheli 30A Opto esc's are silabs based. Has any one had any joy flashing either?  I've tried using various single connector usb adapters but done seem to actually communicate with the EMAX BLHELI ESC's.  They all timeout.

Chris
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:29:57 AM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1904 on: May 29, 2015, 11:42:11 AM »
Well i think ive resolved the gittery esc issue. Had to flash simonk onto the blue series esc. Done one, still testing before i update the other three. Should know for sure tonight.  Then I can get back to having some flying fun.

Still to yet to successfully flash a silabs based esc but I'll get there. Both my new plush 30A and emax blheli 30A Opto esc's are silabs based. Has any one had any joy flashing either?  I've tried using various single connector usb adapters but done seem to actually communicate with the EMAX BLHELI ESC's.  They all timeout.

Chris

It looks good, I tested one of the updated ESC's on the Tricopter and it looked smooth, no pulsing or jittery behavior at all.  Having said that I could only reproduce the jittery issue on the other two once despite trying lots.  I did have the props off so I'm wondering if the jittery issue was partly due to the props, will double check when I reattach them.  Only way to be sure is to now update the other 3 ESC's to the latest simonk and then go for a fly!  Weather looks good this weekend, fingers crossed a park will be free for a test fly.

Also ordered an optical flow unit for the my Pixhawk's. 

For those using APM 2.x's be aware that no new firmware versions (besides critical bug fixes) will be released for APM:Copter - plane, antenna trackers, rover is still good for a while.  Looks like Pixhawk or Linux is the future.....

They have added yaw auto tuning in the latest beta version and switched to EKF for validating the other sensors, so less of an issue when stuff gets a bad reading here or there - such as GPS's.  Should result in a much more stable machine (which was already pretty good to start with).

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #1905 on: June 02, 2015, 10:38:14 AM »
Well I've been quiet for a while - finally got the Alien together and waiting for a test flight ... Hex frame arrived and will be the next project...

Here's the Alien folded and waiting for good weather ... Hmmm when ???

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 10:39:51 AM by Mandrake »
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #1906 on: June 02, 2015, 12:09:59 PM »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1907 on: June 03, 2015, 12:15:35 PM »
Gotta question for you guys --- I recently bought an FPV video camera BUT its NTSC not PAL and can't be changed ... Too expensive to send it back so - o- o 

Is there a program that will convert NTSC files to PAL ???

Cheers

Mandrake

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #1908 on: June 03, 2015, 02:47:42 PM »
Google convert  NTSC to PAL shows up a lot ot of freeware [ have to be careful of virus / malware though so check it ].
Pretty sure from memory Nero media / burning programs had the capabillity also if you had that on your computer ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1909 on: June 03, 2015, 07:24:52 PM »
Gotta question for you guys --- I recently bought an FPV video camera BUT its NTSC not PAL and can't be changed ... Too expensive to send it back so - o- o 

Is there a program that will convert NTSC files to PAL ???

Cheers

Mandrake

Hi,

I'm confused what is the issue?  I have both PAL and NTSC cameras, I just switch my monitor between the two as needed.  Whats the need to convert the output?  Once you save it as a digital file (like you would do with a FPV receiver) then it is not longer a PAL vs NTSC issue. 

In terms of a program, they exist but most consumer devices can playback both formats these days.  There is not much point in converting it as it would result in a loss of quality (the NTSC when converted would be down scaled to 25fps and the view stretched), it's just a slightly different use of the bandwidth.  PAL is 576 lines at 25fps while NTSC is 480 lines at 30fps.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1910 on: June 03, 2015, 07:39:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys - I just had a play with the little camera and can't see any difference in colour so I'll stick with it -- Its the same size as a gopro and cost USD 70 so I'm happy with that - the video seems pretty good - I'll see what happens when it gets launched ...

The Alien is ars# heavy again - I don't seem to be able to get it to balance - Gotta undo it again and move the battery holder to a more central location --

Put the Hexframe together ( sortof ) yesterday and found out I don't have any M3 x 10mm bolts - So ordered some yesterday so I can fit the legs ... Found the bloody packet of bolts
today still in the bag the legs came in --- Dohhhh !!!

That's my day - how's yours ... LOL

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1911 on: June 03, 2015, 07:55:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys - I just had a play with the little camera and can't see any difference in colour so I'll stick with it -- Its the same size as a gopro and cost USD 70 so I'm happy with that - the video seems pretty good - I'll see what happens when it gets launched ...

The Alien is ars# heavy again - I don't seem to be able to get it to balance - Gotta undo it again and move the battery holder to a more central location --

Put the Hexframe together ( sortof ) yesterday and found out I don't have any M3 x 10mm bolts - So ordered some yesterday so I can fit the legs ... Found the bloody packet of bolts
today still in the bag the legs came in --- Dohhhh !!!

That's my day - how's yours ... LOL

Great news then, I switch between them, my mini quad has NTSC while all others I use are PAL.  I wish I could spend it on flying things, instead work, work and more work.

I have a nice little LIDAR package (accurate to alt to 40m AGL) that arrived yesterday as well as two pitot systems (to measure true airspeed).  More stuff to play with, have to get them fitted and used before my optical flow arrives :-)

I'm still to do a full flight test to see if my ESC's are working how I want.....  My tethered tests look good.  I'll have to get up early one day to get some flying time as my local oval seems to be in use every time I'm good to go for a fly......  Starting to think of flying around home a bit, hmmm I still need to do a roof inspection......
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 07:17:50 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1912 on: June 07, 2015, 12:37:12 AM »
Very happy with my SimonK flashed Blue series ESC's, no bouncy flight at all, very steady.  Not sure what settings were bad on my old firmware but wow they are perfect now.  I'm keen to get my EMAX BLHeli's flashed with a newer version to see if that gets around my issue with them working with the Pixhawk.....  I'll devote some time on Monday to researching it.

Too bad my gimbal wasn't well configured, lots of jumps from it - cant put my finger on what has changed but something has to have to caused it), I've done an auto tune again and it appears good.  Fingers crossed there are no games on at the local parks tomorrow and I can get another hour of flying in.  These rugby and soccer games have been finishing later and later (such that they only start packing up at 5pm and don't leave till after 5.30pm - which is when the light is gone, grrrr), today was an exception where they packed up by 2pm.  What is frustrating is that council doesn't have an online booking system so I cant even see if they have it booked for the time they are using it.  They used to finish at 4pm and gone by 4.30pm.  Allowing me to either let the dog have a good run around or for me to go for a fly.  Might have to call council to see what days and times they have it booked out.

Finally I can set it on a mapping task at a larger local playing field, since I've got the flight time to just on 20 mins (not quite the 25-30 mins I was hoping for), the mission will take around 16 mins to fly.  Just need to solder up one more bit to get the pixhawk to control the picture taking.

Tomorrows main task is to fit my new diesel heater to the camper, I suspect I'll be doing it over two days if I want to get some flying time too.....

If my gimbal is all good I'll start to post some footage again.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1913 on: June 07, 2015, 03:26:05 PM »
Got a good 40 mins of flying in today!!  I like long weekends, just on 1.5 hours so far, I should get another hour or so of flying tomorrow.  Got the mapping mission to run.  Bad news is my diesel heater project hasn't even started.  I might get to it tomorrow or maybe next weekend.

Tried some full throttle in Stabilise mode, got it to have a climb rate of 300m/m at 57amps (so lift of 5m/s), in a quick burst, will try a more sustained attempt tomorrow.

My gimbal is almost well tuned again, seems my roll I rate is too low as I have a visible roll in the footage.  The yaw and pitch seem to be good.  I'll update the roll rates tonight and I think I'll be pretty happy again.  I do need to work on yaw jumping as the cables stop it and it has a noticeable jump.  Those who have 3 axis gimbals, what have you done with your cables (MPU sensor, Motor cables, etc) to stop it from catching, I've tried cable tying them but I still get loops which get caught on stuff occasionally?  Curious to see what others do.

I ordered a bigger gimbal too (annoyed I didn't realise I ordered the 2 axis, so I'll have to convert it - the same 3 axis gimbal from another vendor was only $15 more, grrrr), its for when I get around to picking up a Sony A5100.  Since I dont' have any tail wag anymore I might just try the 2 axis to see how it goes.

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1914 on: June 08, 2015, 12:14:21 PM »
Those who have 3 axis gimbals, what have you done with your cables (MPU sensor, Motor cables, etc) to stop it from catching, I've tried cable tying them but I still get loops which get caught on stuff occasionally?  Curious to see what others do.

I think I've worked it out, either the gimbal control board goes on the gimbal itself (on a part that the yaw motor spins) or you use a hollow shaft gimbal motor.  Since my gimbal wont allow me to mount it on the lower part (my header pins are straight up, need 90 degree pins) I've put an order in for a hollow shaft gimbal motor so I can run the cables through it, should reduce the issue I get at present.

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1915 on: June 14, 2015, 12:12:23 AM »
Who needs you control freaks anyway-

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2015/06/11/national/science-health/drone-developed-fly-autonomously-inside-fukushima-reactor-buildings/#.VXw1JPmqpBf

Drone going where no man or GPS will go!  Just call it Freddy cos no-one wants it back   >:D
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1916 on: June 14, 2015, 12:56:22 PM »
Well based upon my ground testing I should now have accurate AGL readings up to 40m with my LIDAR module  ;D.  Now to fit to my tricopter for some flight testing!  Optical flow will arrive hopefully next week or two.

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1917 on: June 14, 2015, 03:01:13 PM »
G'day Chris,

Eyeing off those new mini pixhawk controllers. Like you said , the APM looks like it has died a sudden death.

How much of the hardware can you transfer from APM to pixhawk? Haven't played around with the quads for well over a month. Got to pull my finger out if I am ever going to be ready for the September trip.

Cheers, Mark

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1918 on: June 14, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »
G'day Chris,

Eyeing off those new mini pixhawk controllers. Like you said , the APM looks like it has died a sudden death.

How much of the hardware can you transfer from APM to pixhawk? Haven't played around with the quads for well over a month. Got to pull my finger out if I am ever going to be ready for the September trip.

Cheers, Mark

Hi Mark,

If you want any full sized pixhawk's just wait a little bit longer as most of the pixhawk's will drop in price as 3DR has a pixhawk 2 that they are using in the Solo but will release soon separately soon.  I'll most likely pick up one of the mini pixhawk's for my 250 sized quad but anything larger I like the pixhawk format/size.

Some of the stuff the Pixhawk can do is great, for example I use the EKF stuff and it has stopped the odd wander from happening (I find the wandering instances were happening less due to two GPS's but it still occurred once in a while).  I've not had one uncommanded move since I've turned it on for the tricopter.  Compared to my 250 quad, it sitting in loiter will often decided to wander upto 4m before returning to the right location (only takes the GPS getting a funny reading).

In terms of reusing stuff, to be honest only the airspeed sensor and optical flow are the only items that are impacted (from memory you don't have the airspeed and I think you might have bought a optical flow at some stage?).  They'll work but the pixhawk versions are better.  If you buy a cable pack (or two) or you have a bunch of DF13 6 position connectors spare then you can convert  the GPS and telemetry.  Most of the other items there are no changes, just plug them in.

In their defense they have said for the last 9 months that APM on copter wont be able to go much further.  Sadly that day is here, I could kind of see it happening a while back and thats why I switched over.  I will go further and pursue more of the linux boards as time goes on.  In terms of Pixhawk's life span for copter, I'd say you'd get another 1.5 to 3 years before we are in the same boat again :-)

I'm struggling with my local oval's being used later and later each weekend.  I got some good flying in last weekend and I should get a small flight in later this afternoon.  This is one of my reasons for getting optical flow and lidar so i can fly near my house, I'd like to get my roof survey done as well as do some more photogrammetry stuff too (so more varied locations).

There is nothing wrong with the APM's you just wont get the new features as they come out, they'll still fix critical bugs.  Mine are about to be used as antenna trackers for my UAV challenge project.

Regards,

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1919 on: June 14, 2015, 05:03:27 PM »
I went for a walk today with the wife and wandered past the oval. There was no wind and the sun shin and there was no one on the oval. It was the perfect day to fly. The only problem was I had too much other stuff to do so I shall live through others for the time being. After we get back from the states at the end on July I will have to go on a spending spree so I can Finish things that I have started or want to start.
Regards
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1920 on: June 14, 2015, 05:17:34 PM »
Think I'm becoming a grumpy old man  >:D  Not a good thing when you in your late 30's......

Hmmm, local flying locations are running out at present.  My closest oval was again still being used right up till 5pm, had to travel to the 2nd place which was also busy on the top ovals, the lower oval was free but had a fair number of the dogs and kids playing.  I had a small quick flight but it's getting crazy how our local ovals are being overbooked in my view.  The local dog owners who use the park for off leach fun are getting frustrated, because they never booked out so many of the grounds so much before (games used to be over by 3pm).  Not to mention all the traffic it brings.  I'm happy to have an oval nearby, happy for them to use it for organised games but seriously, from 8am (they start arriving as early as 7am) till 5:00pm it's booked (or at least organised games - still yet to find out if they have it booked) on a weekend.....  As well as most weeknights, 3 out of 5 nights.  This is one of those issues where the local government have sold off so much open space land and it's getting pushed into less and less places.

Is everyone else lucky to have open space to fly around home or do you go somewhere to fly?  I think I will have to go elsewhere for the fixed wing flying.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1921 on: June 19, 2015, 10:56:26 AM »
Howdy everyone ... Back into it again ...
I've built the Hexa and got it running OK .... BUT ( there's always a but aint there !! ) one motor stops running as soon as I push the stick above idle ... Resistance joint somewhere ??
or worse ?
If its a resistance problem how do I find it with the Multimeter ? Its Ohms setting isn't it with the power off ?
Cheers
Steve
Pics to follow later if I can fix this little problem ...

Marschy

« Reply #1922 on: June 19, 2015, 11:40:43 AM »
Howdy everyone ... Back into it again ...
I've built the Hexa and got it running OK .... BUT ( there's always a but aint there !! ) one motor stops running as soon as I push the stick above idle ... Resistance joint somewhere ??
or worse ?
If its a resistance problem how do I find it with the Multimeter ? Its Ohms setting isn't it with the power off ?
Cheers
Steve
Pics to follow later if I can fix this little problem ...
Hello Steve,

Make sure the DC supply cables to the ESC's are as short as you can possibly achieve. Test the motor in isolation using the ESC it is currently connected to, then using another. See if that is the problem. Both Chris and I have experienced problems with motors not winding up due to having too long a DC supply line to the ESC. The AC output from the ESC doesn't tend to be as affected by length as the DC side.

Cheers, Mark
The following users thanked this post: Mandrake

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1923 on: June 19, 2015, 11:49:37 AM »
The DC leads are about 100mm long and it fires up ok .. But won't handle any extra throttle for more than a few seconds ... If I then drop the idle and stop all the motors and do another startup all motors fire up until I hit the throttle then this one goes to sleep again .. Keeps doing it over and over - So I'm about to pull out the ESC and swap it with a new one .. See how that goes ..Cheers mate ..

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1924 on: June 19, 2015, 05:21:25 PM »
New ESC fixed it... Now for the flight test !! ( Crispy - I might need a coupla 4S batteries for this one !!! LOL ) 

Cheers to y'all

Steve