Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 688146 times)

Marschy

Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1775 on: April 08, 2015, 03:39:18 PM »
Wow just learnt something new, I didn't realise you could use a MinimOSD on a Phantom, it makes sense though, all it needs is MavLink data which the can Phantom pump out.

I'm using S-BUS at present on the Tricopter (happened that two of my orangeRX happen to have it), I like it so far.

Chris
Yep, you load different firmware. Some functions available from the APM telemetry port are not available on the Phantom.

Chris, what are you using the S-bus port for?

Marschy

« Reply #1776 on: April 08, 2015, 03:51:43 PM »
I'll try the firmware upgrade - I have an FTD USB thing around here someplace ...

I use the mini circular polarised antennae - The receiver is vertical and the transmitter is pointing straight down - I guess sometimes the gimbal would be in the way of direct line of sight but only when the Phantom is flying towards me ... Could it be a loose connector ? I've checked everything I can see that plugs in ( ie not soldered ) and it seems firm enough .

Thanks Chris
I'd try bypassing the OSD first to diagnose where the problem is, just feed the video camera directly to the transmitter and see if that clears up the problem with the video. If the problem is still there, then it is almost definitely EMI interfering with the video signal. If so, use a toroid as suggested by Chris, and try some of that EMI tape, but wrap the wire with spiral wrap or mesh wrap to make sure that nothing conductive touches the EMI tape.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #1777 on: April 08, 2015, 05:12:33 PM »
This is the OSD
http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/6535416229.html?orderId=66183809588660 Its a Remzibi made for Phantoms .
I'll try FPV with it and see if I get stable video if thats OK then I'll give the FTD a try ...
Cheers guys .
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1778 on: April 09, 2015, 12:17:04 AM »
Yep, you load different firmware. Some functions available from the APM telemetry port are not available on the Phantom.

Chris, what are you using the S-bus port for?

The Pixhawk only takes in either CPPM or S-BUS.  From the R800x it outputs S-BUS so that I can get N number of channels on one connection - just like CPPM, the good news is that with SBUS you don't have the limitations of only 8 channels (if you are lucky).  I think the 9XR will output upto 16 channels (although you'd be running out of switches).  Because the Pixhawk decodes it, I don't need SBUS servo's or anything like that on the output.

It was a lucky find as that's why I ordered the lemon rx as I needed CPPM or S-BUS.  I just didn't realise I have two receivers already that could output S-BUS.  I'm still yet to use the Lemon Rx, I think I'll pop it onto the mini quad and move the R615x's to the bixler.

Chris
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1779 on: April 09, 2015, 09:01:23 AM »
I'll try the firmware upgrade - I have an FTD USB thing around here someplace ...

I use the mini circular polarised antennae - The receiver is vertical and the transmitter is pointing straight down - I guess sometimes the gimbal would be in the way of direct line of sight but only when the Phantom is flying towards me ... Could it be a loose connector ? I've checked everything I can see that plugs in ( ie not soldered ) and it seems firm enough .

Thanks Chris

Hi Steve,

I forgot one additional thing to try that is quick and easy.  Some people just find the location/s they are flying just have bad interference and it can be as easy as changing the channel to see if that eliminates it.

I'd try:
1. Change Channel
2. Direct connect to remove the OSD out of the equation
3. Then all the other stuff

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1780 on: April 09, 2015, 10:58:39 AM »
Hi Mark,

Did you end up getting the optical flow sensor?  I'm considering it but I'm reading that people aren't finding it all that good?  It seemed so promising.  I'm thinking of trying the pulsed light lidar instead, but of course it wont help with lateral position holding, only vertical.

Hoping to get a view from someone who has one.

Just worked out that the people getting mixed views are using the PX4 flight stack on the pixhawk, APM 2.x/3.x wont run it.  APM running on Pixhawk still doesnt support it either, due for AC3.3.

Not to worry, still working out if I'll bother with it.

Regards,

Chris
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 11:15:12 AM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1781 on: April 09, 2015, 11:53:22 AM »
My APM 2.6 or 7 turned up today -- Just playing with mission planner ...
Very interesting !!! I guess it means I have to take a tablet or laptop with me now !!

Having a bit of trouble with Compass calibration - I only get 3 hits and it doesn't record anymore after that ....

Checked the Phantom FPV/OSD thing and it works really well at home ( not flying )
So I will wait until I can get it in the air again and see if that was just local interference at Yarrawonga ??
Steve

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1782 on: April 09, 2015, 12:25:49 PM »
Very interesting !!! I guess it means I have to take a tablet or laptop with me now !!

Having a bit of trouble with Compass calibration - I only get 3 hits and it doesn't record anymore after that ....

Checked the Phantom FPV/OSD thing and it works really well at home ( not flying )
So I will wait until I can get it in the air again and see if that was just local interference at Yarrawonga ??
Steve

Hi Steve,

No need to take the tablet with you, but I do use my phone to record my telemetry data.  Once you move to automated missions, then yes a tablet or Notebook is a must.

On the compass calibration, it will matter if you have a 2.6 or a 2.7.  On the 2.7 you need to get the jumper pins correct for if you are using an external compass (see earlier discussions between Crisp Image, myself and Mark).  The calibration takes a lot less than it did before, the other thing you can do is turn compass learning on as a parameter.   That way it will learn as time goes on.  I had it turned on and initially caused me some grief but later on it was good.  I think the 2.5/6 didn't have an internal compass from memory.

When you do the calibration do you see the sphere and coloured or white dots?  Are you only getting 3 coloured dots?  It should go up to 60 seconds, unless it thinks it's got enough data.  You should get 3 compass offsets at the end (x, y, z), what are those values, we can tell you if they look normal or are way out.  The other thing is it getting the heading correct now?  And when you rotate does it maintain the correct heading?  That is the best test :-)  Also dont forget to do the Motor Compass calibration too.

On the interference, did you try it with the motors going?  You could be getting noise from them.  You can try it by tying it down at home and see what happens.  If it is the park you were at I'd try changing the channel to see if that gets rid of it.  Yarrawonga, one of my Aunts lives there, looks like a nice place.  Someone might be naughty and have a 5.8GHz wifi link that's higher output than is legal, or any number of other possible reasons.  I reckon changing the channel will be the simple fix if it's not the esc's / motors causing a dirty signal - usually is for local interference.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1783 on: April 09, 2015, 12:44:20 PM »

Steve
Tablet and OnTheGo (OTG) cable are very handy for making on the flight line changes to the config.

Compass calibration can be a pain, but here is what I do with good success rate.

Hold quad level, spin quad along tail to nose axis. Spin quad 180 degrees from original position and repeat
Hold quad nose up, spin quad along tail to nose axis.
Hold quad nose down, spin quad along tail to nose axis
Hold quad level, spin quad along left right axis several times. Rotate quad 90 degrees while level and repeat until facing in same position that you started.

If you can't get it to calibrate using this I'd be very surprised.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 12:52:59 PM by Marschy »

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1784 on: April 09, 2015, 01:42:33 PM »
Managed to get compass cal done with GPS module attached.. got the sphere and 1300 odd hits.. all good now..
Shall try to mount it on the alien
Later on .. still waiting on the DYS motors to finish it...
Oh yeah gotta work out where and how to connect in the fpv camera (assuming I can still have one with the osd 915mhz transmitter ) YouTube is my new APM friend...

Marschy

« Reply #1785 on: April 09, 2015, 01:45:59 PM »
Managed to get compass cal done with GPS module attached.. got the sphere and 1300 odd hits.. all good now..
Oh yeah gotta work out where and how to connect in the fpv camera (assuming I can still have one with the osd 915mhz transmitter ) YouTube is my new APM friend...
I've done the calibration in as little as 400.

Yep you can use an FPV camera, minimOSD and 915mhz telemetry transmitter all at the same time.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1786 on: April 09, 2015, 01:50:27 PM »

I'm thinking you have 2.6 without an internal compass, that is why you most likely had that trouble either that or you have a 2.7 but the jumper was set to external.

You can use both OSD and 915MHz telemetry radio, you need a Y cable.  Basically it will connect to the telemetry port, then all four wires go to the telmetry radio and 3 lines are spliced off to MinimOSD (APM's Tx - MinimsOSD's Rx, +5V and GND).  Hopefully you have the Y cable in your kit otherwise it wont take long, just use a 6P connector (2.54 pitch) for the minim and your set.

Youtube is very handy!

Let us know if you need any pics of stuff that we have setup.

Regards,

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1787 on: April 09, 2015, 01:52:40 PM »
I've done the calibration in as little as 400.

Yep you can use an FPV camera, minimOSD and 915mhz telemetry transmitter all at the same time.

I agree its very straight forwards on AC3.2+, barely had to move it around the 3 axis's.  Steve, you should have tried it when we were using 3.1.5, damn it was annoying.  Had to rotate that thing for ages and ages.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1788 on: April 09, 2015, 01:57:01 PM »
I like mission planner . Google maps and orange directional indicator line and the level window.. so cool !!!
How do you connect to phone for viewing ? I have android and no standard USB port ?

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1789 on: April 09, 2015, 02:34:45 PM »
I like mission planner . Google maps and orange directional indicator line and the level window.. so cool !!!
How do you connect to phone for viewing ? I have android and no standard USB port ?

You'll need an OTG cable, it will take it from the Micro and give you a female USB cable to plug in to, didnt your telemetry radio come with an OTG cable?  The HK ones did (micro to micro OTG cable), cant remember if the GLB one did....

When you connect the OTG cable with the telemetry radio installed it will ask which app you want to launch, choose the app then click on connect.  Dont try to open the app first and then connect, need to get the plug in event to kick off the app.

Chris
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:37:01 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1790 on: April 09, 2015, 02:39:34 PM »
All that came with the radio gear was the connecion cable to the APM and another 4 pin micro to 6 pin micro - dunno what that's for ...
Actually I might have one from one of my cameras ...

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1791 on: April 09, 2015, 03:12:05 PM »
All that came with the radio gear was the connecion cable to the APM and another 4 pin micro to 6 pin micro - dunno what that's for ...
Actually I might have one from one of my cameras ...

Ah, sounds like you've got the V1 of the telemetry radios, I've got 4 V2, 2 V1's and 2 RFDesign telemetry radios (All 915-928Mhz).

I'm guessing one of the radios has a full size usb connector and the other has 2.54 header pins.  Yep you'll need to do up a Y cable for the OSD, easiest way is to pop the pins out of the 6P connector and snip them and replace them with new pins which have a piggy back for the 3 lines you are after.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_14285560927188&key=8a24c98a696b4e5723db293f62190b87&libId=i89pegpd010004o4000DAfg49uxs1&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rcgroups.com%2Fforums%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D1795674%26page%3D2&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fs243.photobucket.com%2Fuser%2Fpeerke1987a%2Fmedia%2FAPMDiagram.png.html&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com.au%2F&title=APM%202.5%2C%20MinimOSD%20and%20telemetry%20and%20without%20telemetry%20-%20Page%202%20-%20RC%20Groups&txt=This%20image%20has%20been%20resized.%20Click%20this%20bar%20to%20view%20the%20full%20image.%20The%20original%20image%20is%20sized%201024x464.

Has a good diagram of what I'm suggesting (they splice into the line in the diagram, it can be done at either the middle, or at either end).

OTG cable that comes with the V2 radios looks like this:
http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-nr1m3w/lspvbs/products/478/images/2175/M_HK_PilotTransceiverTelemetryRadio915Mhz001__26830.1424408066.220.220.jpg?c=2

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1792 on: April 09, 2015, 03:20:46 PM »
By the looks of that diagram the camera has its own OSD and transmitter setup ??
The current transmitter just plugs into the Telemetry socket ( I assume I can't just tap the video feed into this as I won't be able to see it in mission planner ? )
So I think I'll keep it simple for now and worry about FPV / OSD after I get the Alien airborne ...

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1793 on: April 09, 2015, 03:35:41 PM »
By the looks of that diagram the camera has its own OSD and transmitter setup ??
The current transmitter just plugs into the Telemetry socket ( I assume I can't just tap the video feed into this as I won't be able to see it in mission planner ? )
So I think I'll keep it simple for now and worry about FPV / OSD after I get the Alien airborne ...

Single connection to APM, the wires out of the APM then go to both the OSD (minus the TX line from the OSD) and Telemetry (all four lines).  It's very easy to do.  You can just jut the wires and make it like the diagram or you can do it at the end that plugs into the telemetry radio.  I'll take a pic of mine when I get home from work, I've done a few home made versions as well as the HK versions.

But if your keen to go for a fly I'd go with your suggestion.  The cable should only take you 15 to 20 mins to do up, it can wait till after your first flight with the APM.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1794 on: April 09, 2015, 06:52:35 PM »
Hi,

Very impressed with HobbyKing.  I was sent the wrong item by the international warehouse, I was getting a bit annoyed as my RMA wasnt progressing so I hit the live chat and explained the issue to them.  They came back with yes we'll send out the right item, and did I want to buy the item that was sent by mistake.  I explained that I'd be happy to keep them and pay $1 for each of the items (so $3) as I have no immediate need for the wrong clamps.  They asked me to offer a price and I simply said well I'll lowball you and I was upfront about it with them, I pushed the line I had no immediate requirement for them (which is true).  After a minute, they came back with, how about I just keep the items for free (and still get my right items).  I agreed that was the best solution and that they have a happy customer again.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1795 on: April 09, 2015, 07:09:59 PM »
Hi,

Very impressed with HobbyKing.  I was sent the wrong item by the international warehouse, I was getting a bit annoyed as my RMA wasnt progressing so I hit the live chat and explained the issue to them.  They came back with yes we'll send out the right item, and did I want to buy the item that was sent by mistake.  I explained that I'd be happy to keep them and pay $1 for each of the items (so $3) as I have no immediate need for the wrong clamps.  They asked me to offer a price and I simply said well I'll lowball you and I was upfront about it with them, I pushed the line I had no immediate requirement for them (which is true).  After a minute, they came back with, how about I just keep the items for free (and still get my right items).  I agreed that was the best solution and that they have a happy customer again.

Chris
Ah, but you haven't got the correct item yet  >:D >:D

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1796 on: April 09, 2015, 07:29:25 PM »
Ah, but you haven't got the correct item yet  >:D >:D

LOL, very true, I can only hope they don't stuff up a 2nd time.  Good news is that if they do stuff up again then I'm okay, because I can use the half I need out of the 1st stuffed up order combined with the half from the new stuffed up order will make one good order.  The clamps they sent where supposed to be flush mount both sides, but they sent the flush fit on side and semi circle on the other side.  So I'm covered either way (although I'll be down some bolts) :cheers:

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:16:21 AM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #1797 on: April 10, 2015, 08:52:11 PM »
Ok - decided to fit the APM to my F450 instad of the Alien ... So its up and working -
One of the youtubes I watched said motors are not 1,2,3,4  going round the aircraft but 1,2 on a diagonal and 3,4 on the other diagonal ... Do that sound right guys ?

I haven't tried to lift off yet  - I will try a tethered lift off tomorrow to see if the motors work as they should for pitch roll and yaw ..

Mission planner looks good - have successfully armed the motors ...

How do I set Failsafe RTL when transmitter goes off ?? Can't seem to find that option in Mission Planner ..

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1798 on: April 10, 2015, 09:23:21 PM »
Ok - decided to fit the APM to my F450 instad of the Alien ... So its up and working -
One of the youtubes I watched said motors are not 1,2,3,4  going round the aircraft but 1,2 on a diagonal and 3,4 on the other diagonal ... Do that sound right guys ?

I haven't tried to lift off yet  - I will try a tethered lift off tomorrow to see if the motors work as they should for pitch roll and yaw ..

Mission planner looks good - have successfully armed the motors ...

How do I set Failsafe RTL when transmitter goes off ?? Can't seem to find that option in Mission Planner ..

On the motors, yes it is diagonals for quads so motor 1 and 2 are CCW and 3 and 4 are CW.  Note that when you use the motor test it refers to them as A, B, C, D and it goes clockwise from the front  right motor.

http://copter.ardupilot.com/wiki/initial-setup/motor-setup/

Did the props spin when you armed?  If not I recommend turning up the MIN SPIN value so they just spin.

Goto Mandatory Hardware and Failsafes (when you are connected).  Check that when you have the transmitter off that your throttle channel drops (the RX needs to have this capability).  Also on the right and side you'll see an option for failsafe options.  In the drop down list select either RTL or LAND.  I switch between enabled - LAND and enabled - RTL, although with some of the stuff I'm doing I disable it from time to time too.  I recommend for your first time use the land option, just incase there are issues with the GPS (dicky connector, area is glitchy, etc....)

You'll find the ardupilot site is really useful, I am constantly referring back to it.

Regards,

Chris
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:26:52 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander
The following users thanked this post: Mandrake

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1799 on: April 11, 2015, 07:01:27 PM »
Yay, finally got to take the Tri for a fly today!!  I can say that firstly the issue issue with the tail wagging is gone, it seems it was down to the servo I was using.  The one I've got in there now is great, bad news is that I only have the one (as I killed one today) and HK no longer sell them.  I'll have to check out the model number and see if I can find them elsewhere.  I have a few others on the way, which should be just as good, but this one is perfect.

Holy cow the 3 axis gimbal is perfect (using Alexmos 32 bit controller), the footage I took was so stable its not funny.  I'll work on a small clip tonight so you can see how much better it is.  Only issue I have is that I have to use a cable tie in my FPV camera to make sure it centers properly.  Once I get a few hours of no crash flying I'll put the gopro on there and try some 2.7K and 4.3K footage.

I cant wait for my 15inch CF props to arrive, it appears that I'm using a lot more power than I thought on the 12in props.  It is averaging around 17A, so about 4-5A higher than estimated.  I did get a good 12 min flight out of my 4s 4000mah battery, the 15 inch should drop that right down.  No issue with power, when I hit 85% throttle it accelerates faster than my mini quad does.  I'm also keen to switch over to the round tubes for the arms, the square poltruded arms are just too fragile, I damaged one in transit and I had to return home to replace it.  Hoping HK stuff up package should arrive next week, fingers crossed, it has the mounts for the round tubes.

If the weather keeps like this there will be some more flying tomorrow!

Chris
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 07:13:55 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander