Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 687973 times)

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1325 on: January 18, 2015, 09:33:56 PM »
Does anyone else have the hk 2.7? I have found a photo on the hk site that shows 2 jumper settings for the compass. One for the internal and one for the external one. Is this correct?
Might be forced to purchase a cheep apm 2.6 kit from the evil bay for about $95 inc postage from aus.
Comments?
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

Hi,

Yes I have a HK APM 2.7 board, you have it correct that should be using the internal compass.  I have to say I have mine set to use the external and havent tried using the internal compass on mine....

Are you still having the same problem?

Chris

Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1326 on: January 18, 2015, 09:47:45 PM »
Well I've decided that I'll stay a one pixhawk owner for the time been.  I'll keep using the APM boards in the miniQuad and fix wing plane/s until the Pixhawk Fire Cape is a bit more widely available.  It runs on a Beagle Bone Black (BBB) embedded linux board.  I'll look at using the buggered APM board as an antenna tracker.

I've got an Odroid C1 board on the way but it will be more a companion board (take pics, do inflight video processing, telemetry handling and a variety of other tasks), I'm hoping by middle of the year the PXF will be more widely available (at present only a handful of people are making them) and they are a bit pricey at present (200 pounds in some cases...).

It amazing, these little embedded linux boards are so small and have so much processing power.  Even more impressive is that they can run real time software to fly a model ac / RPA and do other tasks (optical flow, etc).

I've worked on my mount for the camera gimbal, I should have that finished tomorrow morning as I'd like to take the tricopter out for a flight tomorrow with the gimbal on it.  I've had to create a 2nd battery tray that moves weight rearwards to counter the camera weight.  I expect most of Monday afternoon will be tuning the gimbal and doing tests for some more flight testing on Tuesday.  I need it ready to go on the next camping trip (leave on Friday).

Chris

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:03:11 AM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1327 on: January 19, 2015, 07:47:57 AM »
Hi,

Are you still having the same problem?

Chris
Chris,
The short answer is no.
As I have not got a working GPS at the moment I have put the quad in the hanger until I get the required parts.
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #1328 on: January 19, 2015, 08:03:07 AM »
You should get that Nublox 6 today ...
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1329 on: January 19, 2015, 08:54:15 AM »
You should get that Nublox 6 today ...
Yes just waiting for the postie to come.
Then I have to figure out the connection pins to make sure they are correct.
I might even try and change the mimumosd today.
Crispy

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1330 on: January 19, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »
Yes just waiting for the postie to come.
Then I have to figure out the connection pins to make sure they are correct.
I might even try and change the mimumosd today.
Crispy

Hi Crispy,

I recommend that you just get the basics first, get it up and running with the GPS.  Leave all the cameras and other stuff for once you have a stable platform.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1331 on: January 19, 2015, 12:14:58 PM »
Well I've got the gimbal mounted with the camera and I've done a basic tune on it (calibrated level, lowered the motor outputs and checked the PID settings).  I've checked my CoG and I'm happy it back to the middle of the APM.

I went for a bolt on mount to my electronics tray, just some pine bits.  I had to do up a new battery tray to move the weight further back as initially it was way to front heavy.  I haven't weighed it yet, I know I've added some weight with the gimbal and the mount.  I'm thinking about 150-200g?  I will only know once I weigh it properly.

There is one bolt that I wish I had put in a nylon bolt, just that if it comes loose it could contact the circuit board of the gimbal control.  It's too much work though to pull it apart, next time I've got it apart I'll fix that up.  Also the USB socket it damn hard to reach, I have to tilt the mount a bit to plug it in, once it's in it fits in the space, so next time I pull it apart I'll mount the horizontal beams underneath the mounts that jut out the front, this will move the load more to the bolts, but I dont have many options.

If it stops spitting for long enough I might even get to flight test it today, if not then tomorrow will have to do :-)

Here are the pics:

1. Pic of it level

2. Pic of it at a lean

3. SimpleBCG tool

Tomorrow I'm hoping to add RC pitch control from the APM so that I can manually tilt it downwards as required.  I think I'll leave the roll unconnected as I think I'll always want a roll stabilised image.

I may have to increase the motor values again depending on how much vibrations come through.

Regards,

Chris
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 12:22:32 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1332 on: January 19, 2015, 12:40:46 PM »
G'day Chris,

Setting up the tilt is easy as with a servo, but I understand it is a little different with a brushless gimbal. I think it is just a matter of using the digital output channels rather than A10-A11 for pan and tilt servo gimbals.

How did you get on with the configuration tool? I found it a PITA to work out. I just loaded defaults, and then increased motor power until I was happy when I moved the camera that there was enough resistance to fight wind when flying.

Please let us know how you get on with the tilt setup on your gimbal. I would like to give this a go as well, but just haven't had the time to muck around with it yet on my X-mode Alien.

Cheers, Mark

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1333 on: January 19, 2015, 12:50:32 PM »
Hi Crispy,

I recommend that you just get the basics first, get it up and running with the GPS.  Leave all the cameras and other stuff for once you have a stable platform.

Chris
Chris,
The camera and all the other stuff is easy. Getting a stable platform is the hard part. Everything else works just fine.
Got the GPS from Mandrake today so might have a play.
Crispy

Marschy

« Reply #1334 on: January 19, 2015, 07:39:57 PM »
I'm still waiting for the telemetry radio and minimOSD to arrive for the mini quad, so I've added some orientation lights while I'm waiting.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1335 on: January 20, 2015, 01:09:02 PM »
Hi Marschy,

Very nice lights there

I realised I haven't sent those pics of the CF frame yet, I I will get to taking those pics today.

Hi all,

Well I did something stupid today.....  I decided to test out the gimbal mount, by the way thats not the stupid bit, that was the smart bit, I had to wait for a break in the rain :-)

The stupid bit was that my action cam wasn't fully charged so I got a some total of 1 min of aerial footage!!   Worse part of I only noticed it on the 2nd battery change. I've got nearly 4 mins of ground footage though, not that it helps me.  The one minute of aerial footage I've got is very nicely stabilised on the roll and pitch axis, it's smooth as, handled all the movements I put it through very nicely (or at least the first minute of maneuvers).

So my action cam is charging up as we speak, so I can repeat again tomorrow.

Only issue is since the auto tune my stabilise and loiter now have a noticeable rocking motion.  So now I have to retune again, hoping this will remove it (will try again tomorrow).  Otherwise since I've remounted everything it might be the dreaded servo jitter from the telemetry radio which I didnt have before, grrrrr.

So once I've baked a cake for my wifes birthday I'll get back onto fixing that and also the FPV cam is terribly focused, so I'll work on that today too.

I also think that I stuffed up the Power Module settings as I was getting 11.3V as soon as I connected the battery with only base load, I had it on a battery tester just before at a good strong 12.6.  So I have to recalibrate it too.

Long list of stuff to do, luckily I'm off work at present or this would take forever!

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1336 on: January 20, 2015, 02:31:25 PM »
Hello Chris,

The lights are el-cheapo RGB LED's that you get from China on a metre roll.

I'm going to give the tethered Rate Roll and Pitch P Tuning a go shortly as per the video on the arducopter web site.

I can tether my quad between my pergola posts which should be a more than suitable location. The only thing I have to work out is how I can attach the tether to the quad in a reasonably central position in both the roll and pitch axis. By the look of the video, the tether is drawn very tightly, so I need to be able to tighten the tether without causing damage to the frames.

The battery calibration is finally working for me since buying the new Hobbyking PM's. The 2 dodgy PM's I have will be go in the spare parts drawer because I am going to get a micro version for the mini quad which is the new integrated power distribution board and PM version from Hobbyking. That should save me a few grams of weight.

It looks as though the mini quad fully loaded with a tilt gimbal FPV camera, miniAPM, GPS, telemetry and all other mandatory hardware is going to be a little bit on the heavy side. I am already up to 470 grams and still haven't added the minimOSD, telemetry radio (couldn't get the bluetooth module working, bugger) and 5 volt BEC for the tilt gimbal servo. I have my new nano-tech 1500mAh battery, which is only 45 grams in weight less than the Zippy flightmax 2200mAh battery. I reckon by the time everything is loaded the mini quad will be just over 600 grams. I should still get a better than 2:1 power to weight ratio, but not as good as I would have liked.

Cheers, Mark

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1337 on: January 20, 2015, 03:04:51 PM »
Hello Chris,

The lights are el-cheapo RGB LED's that you get from China on a metre roll.

I'm going to give the tethered Rate Roll and Pitch P Tuning a go shortly as per the video on the arducopter web site.

I can tether my quad between my pergola posts which should be a more than suitable location. The only thing I have to work out is how I can attach the tether to the quad in a reasonably central position in both the roll and pitch axis. By the look of the video, the tether is drawn very tightly, so I need to be able to tighten the tether without causing damage to the frames.

The battery calibration is finally working for me since buying the new Hobbyking PM's. The 2 dodgy PM's I have will be go in the spare parts drawer because I am going to get a micro version for the mini quad which is the new integrated power distribution board and PM version from Hobbyking. That should save me a few grams of weight.

It looks as though the mini quad fully loaded with a tilt gimbal FPV camera, miniAPM, GPS, telemetry and all other mandatory hardware is going to be a little bit on the heavy side. I am already up to 470 grams and still haven't added the minimOSD, telemetry radio (couldn't get the bluetooth module working, bugger) and 5 volt BEC for the tilt gimbal servo. I have my new nano-tech 1500mAh battery, which is only 45 grams in weight less than the Zippy flightmax 2200mAh battery. I reckon by the time everything is loaded the mini quad will be just over 600 grams. I should still get a better than 2:1 power to weight ratio, but not as good as I would have liked.

Cheers, Mark

Ah, I have a roll of that stuff laying from my camping lights I made.  I have been thinking of doing the same but thought I dont need anymore power drain on my little batteries :-)  They draw bugger all though, let us know how helpful they are during daylight, if I was night flying then I'd definitely see the point.

I think I'll have to do the tethered method to for the tricopter, it just hasnt got it right yet.  I'll give it one more go and then I will do the tricopter tethering method https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhJsXTu46y8.  I love how Google and YouTube makes problem solving so much easier :-)

I was surprised how well the tricopter handled the strong winds compared to the quad, it either just tilted a little bit and held it's position much better.  I would say that it stayed within 2mx2m box when loitering.  Cant wait to switch this over to the pixhawk and run two GPS's.  I'd also like to invest in the Ublox M8N GPS which is even better, they say that instead of the 1.6m resolution you can get it down to 0.9m, I'd say the tri will hold position in a 1m x 1m box then :-)

I also noticed a slight drift when a very stong gust hit it, one that would have had the mini quad almost tumbling.  I was hesitant to put the tri up in the strong winds.

Another thing I noticed is that the tri is fast, I barely had to tilt the tri forwards and I was jumping to 20-30km/h in about half the time the quad takes.  It made doing banking turns so hard because I'd push forwards like I do on the quad and it would accelerate so fast.  I try to keep the tri under 40km/h as I had it fall out of the sky at around 50km/h and I'm worried it will happen again (before that getting up to 60km/h was normal, with my fastest speed ever recorded at 85km/h).

It also holds the speed, so if you build up a 20km/h speed and then level off it will take twice as long to slow down as the mini quad.  Odd that my tri is so much more nimble.

Bad news is that my hover % is now 55%, so the extra weight is noticeable.  Its around what I was expecting so not surprised, it was able to climb fast when I needed it.  I only put it up 15m today as I could see low level cloud hauling ass and I didn't want to have a fly away.  I will have to look up what the wind speed was here today.

Chris

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 10:16:53 PM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1338 on: January 20, 2015, 03:12:08 PM »
Ah, I have a roll of that stuff laying from my camping lights I made.  I have been thinking of doing the same but thought I dont need anymore power drain on my little batteries :-)  They draw bugger all though, let us know how helpful they are during daylight, if I was night flying then I'd definitely see the point.

I think I'll have to do the tethered method to for the tricopter, it just hasnt got it right yet.  I'll give it one more go and then I will do the tricopter tethering method .  I love how Google and YouTube makes problem solving so much easier :-)

I was surprised how well the tricopter handled the strong winds compared to the quad, it either just tilted a little bit and held it's position much better.  I would say that it stayed within 2mx2m box when loitering.  Cant wait to switch this over to the pixhawk and run two GPS's.  I'd also like to invest in the Ublox M8N GPS which is even better, they say that instead of the 1.6m resolution you can get it down to 0.9m, I'd say the tri will hold position in a 1m x 1m box then :-)

I also noticed a slight drift when a very stong gust hit it, one that would have had the mini quad almost tumbling.  I was hesitant to put the tri up in the strong winds.

Another thing I noticed is that the tri is fast, I barely had to tilt the tri forwards and I was jumping to 20-30km/h in about half the time the quad takes.  It made doing banking turns so hard because I'd push forwards like I do on the quad and it would accelerate so fast.  I try to keep the tri under 40km/h as I had it fall out of the sky at around 50km/h and I'm worried it will happen again (before that getting up to 60km/h was normal, with my fastest speed ever recorded at 85km/h).

It also holds the speed, so if you build up a 20km/h speed and then level off it will take twice as long to slow down as the mini quad.  Odd that my tri is so much more nimble.

Bad news is that my hover % is now 55%, so the extra weight is noticeable.  Its around what I was expecting so not surprised, it was able to climb fast when I needed it.  I only put it up 15m today as I could see low level cloud hauling ass and I didn't want to have a fly away.  I will have to look up what the wind speed was here today.

Chris
The photo's don't do the LED's justice as the flash triggered on the Ixus camera. I'll post a photo tonight with the Ixus flash turned off, these LED's are bright little suckers. The Blue LED is the brightest out of the three colours, the red is the least brightest. As long as they help with orientation I'll be happy. I'm thinking of following your example though and getting a lemonRX 8 channel PPM receiver so I can use super simple mode as I'm starting to form the opinion that orientation is going to be a big issue with this little quad.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1339 on: January 20, 2015, 05:50:24 PM »
The photo's don't do the LED's justice as the flash triggered on the Ixus camera. I'll post a photo tonight with the Ixus flash turned off, these LED's are bright little suckers. The Blue LED is the brightest out of the three colours, the red is the least brightest. As long as they help with orientation I'll be happy. I'm thinking of following your example though and getting a lemonRX 8 channel PPM receiver so I can use super simple mode as I'm starting to form the opinion that orientation is going to be a big issue with this little quad.

I'll think about mounting some, orientation is critical on the mini Quad, I find myself checking the monitor to confirm where it's going.  To be honest I've only flown it about 80m away from myself when I've decided that it's far enough.  With the GPS performance I've been getting on the mini quad I'm not sure that simple mode will work as well as you'd like.  GPS performance on the Tri is brilliant.

I'm waiting to receive the lemon, I guess it will be after I get back from the trip.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I plan to leave the R615X on the mini quad until I get some more money coming in.  The Lemon will go on the Tricopter to make it simpler (and I can remove the PPM board for the Pixhawk then).

I've got my 10 GPS antenna's today, I'll do a swap and see how it goes.  I'll let you guys know how successful I am with it.

I fixed the focus issue this afternoon and charged the camera up, and now it stays on for much longer :-)

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1340 on: January 20, 2015, 10:15:39 PM »
Here is a piccy of the blue LED with my camera flash turned off. Gives a better idea of how well they light up.

Marschy

« Reply #1341 on: January 20, 2015, 10:23:09 PM »
The Trifecta frame arrived today. I'm now waiting on motors, ESC's and yaw servo, but the flight control board will have to wait till next pay day. I'm going to go with the micro APM this time around with the new Hobbyking mega kit.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1342 on: January 20, 2015, 11:08:33 PM »
The Trifecta frame arrived today. I'm now waiting on motors, ESC's and yaw servo, but the flight control board will have to wait till next pay day. I'm going to go with the micro APM this time around with the new Hobbyking mega kit.

Looks good, kind of wish it came out before I ordered the CF frames, don't forget to extend the tail as that looks a bit short.

FYI, I've been researching my yaw issue, and it appears that because autotune doesn't touch the yaw as part of it's process.  On further reading it seems that Rate Yaw D needs to be higher than 0 - which is the default for tricopters for some unknown reason.  I plan to do some testing tomorrow on this, I'm currently setting up CH6 to modify the tune parameter.

I've put in a start value of 0.003 as others have reported that it stops the tail oscillations.  I'm going with a 0 to 0.005 on ch6 to see if I need more or less to remove it.  Be very careful when adjusting D parameters as they have the highest tendency to make the aircraft unstable.

I'm happy with the Pitch and Roll settings at present, so no need to autotune it any further.

The HK mini certainly requires less work to get it going (connectors already done correctly) but seriously 1 hour of solid work and your mini APM (v3.1) should be good to go?  Or is that staying on the mini quad?  I dont think I could wait that long to get the mini up and running :-)

Your going to have to hide stuff at this rate or your wife will cotton onto how much your spending  :laugh:  :'(

Chris

« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 01:40:53 AM by CBRK »

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1343 on: January 21, 2015, 12:05:06 AM »
I'll think about mounting some, orientation is critical on the mini Quad, I find myself checking the monitor to confirm where it's going.  To be honest I've only flown it about 80m away from myself when I've decided that it's far enough.  With the GPS performance I've been getting on the mini quad I'm not sure that simple mode will work as well as you'd like.  GPS performance on the Tri is brilliant.

I'm waiting to receive the lemon, I guess it will be after I get back from the trip.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I plan to leave the R615X on the mini quad until I get some more money coming in.  The Lemon will go on the Tricopter to make it simpler (and I can remove the PPM board for the Pixhawk then).

I've got my 10 GPS antenna's today, I'll do a swap and see how it goes.  I'll let you guys know how successful I am with it.

I fixed the focus issue this afternoon and charged the camera up, and now it stays on for much longer :-)

Chris

Ah, simple mode only uses the compass, I was thinking of the super simple mode.  Simple mode might not be a bad start but you'll be turning it off pretty quickly.

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

Re: Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1344 on: January 21, 2015, 06:10:50 AM »
Er, umm that is extended. LOL its freakin' tiny
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:13:09 AM by Marschy »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1345 on: January 21, 2015, 10:11:27 AM »
Er, umm that is extended. LOL its freakin' tiny

Wow that is tiny, maybe it's an optical distortion but the centre point seems to be weighted to the front, is that right?

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Spartan

• Tent User
« Reply #1346 on: January 21, 2015, 10:12:45 AM »
Time for and update from me - between work and holidays I've only had 3 or 4 days at home since Christmas so not much time for sorting out the tri.

I got the replacement lh gimbal for the 9xr along with a case for it and some 9" props.

The good news is the props are generally well balanced and the new gimbal fixed the issue I had with the transmitter doing weird things with the yaw.

The bad news is when I went to test fly it last Friday I noticed straight away that there was a vibration somewhere and the tri was wobbling all over the place and a bit under powered. Not only that but a mate of mine test flew it to compare it to his own tri and mine decided to fly away on him!

The low voltage alarm came on so he was coming in to land when it accelerated off in a straight line at I guess about 2/3 throttle. He managed to bring it back and land it under intermittent control with no damage which I was super impressed with.

I think I narrowed down the vibration to a motor with dodgy bearings, so I 've replaced that and done some range testing on my front lawn. Standing 1m away if I put the transmitter behind my back it's enough to cause it to lose signal!

I pulled the receiver apart and checked the antennas were still soldered on etc and I can't see anything wrong, so I think I've narrowed it down to 2 things.

Either I've done something wrong when I had the transmitter apart to replace the gimbal which I think is unlikely as it was a pretty simple job and I only had to unplug 2 connectors. OR I've fried something by turning on the transmitter while not having the antenna screwed into the module which is what I think has happened as I know I've done it a few times now.

I take the antenna off because I'm worried about it getting broken off because of it's location (stupid design!) but now I think that's back fired on me. So I've ordered a new Tx module and also a new and different model orange Rx from HK China on express post so I'm crossing my fingers they will be here in a week or so when I'm home again from work.

Just to rub salt into the wounds, my BIL has a $50 quad from k-mart that flies perfectly every time!

Sorry every time I post on here it's a bit of a whinge but I've only flown 2 full batteries through this thing that have been trouble free and the frustration is building!
2011 Jayco Hawk Outback
2009 Holden Colorado LTR dual cab

Marschy

« Reply #1347 on: January 21, 2015, 11:05:52 AM »
Wow that is tiny, maybe it's an optical distortion but the centre point seems to be weighted to the front, is that right?
Geometry is the same as the Mercedes Benz symbol.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1348 on: January 21, 2015, 11:45:59 AM »
Time for and update from me - between work and holidays I've only had 3 or 4 days at home since Christmas so not much time for sorting out the tri.

I got the replacement lh gimbal for the 9xr along with a case for it and some 9" props.

The good news is the props are generally well balanced and the new gimbal fixed the issue I had with the transmitter doing weird things with the yaw.

The bad news is when I went to test fly it last Friday I noticed straight away that there was a vibration somewhere and the tri was wobbling all over the place and a bit under powered. Not only that but a mate of mine test flew it to compare it to his own tri and mine decided to fly away on him!

The low voltage alarm came on so he was coming in to land when it accelerated off in a straight line at I guess about 2/3 throttle. He managed to bring it back and land it under intermittent control with no damage which I was super impressed with.

I think I narrowed down the vibration to a motor with dodgy bearings, so I 've replaced that and done some range testing on my front lawn. Standing 1m away if I put the transmitter behind my back it's enough to cause it to lose signal!

I pulled the receiver apart and checked the antennas were still soldered on etc and I can't see anything wrong, so I think I've narrowed it down to 2 things.

Either I've done something wrong when I had the transmitter apart to replace the gimbal which I think is unlikely as it was a pretty simple job and I only had to unplug 2 connectors. OR I've fried something by turning on the transmitter while not having the antenna screwed into the module which is what I think has happened as I know I've done it a few times now.

I take the antenna off because I'm worried about it getting broken off because of it's location (stupid design!) but now I think that's back fired on me. So I've ordered a new Tx module and also a new and different model orange Rx from HK China on express post so I'm crossing my fingers they will be here in a week or so when I'm home again from work.

Just to rub salt into the wounds, my BIL has a $50 quad from k-mart that flies perfectly every time!

Sorry every time I post on here it's a bit of a whinge but I've only flown 2 full batteries through this thing that have been trouble free and the frustration is building!

Hi Spartan,

Hang in there mate, just on the Tx and the antenna I would suggest you have fried the TX Module, if there is no antenna on it then that power is reflected back into the TX and it cant handle it as another X amounts of milli watts are being pumped into it.  So it cooks itself.  It would explain why you get really bad transmission range.  But they normally fry so bad they output nothing.

I would suggest you leave the antenna attached in future, they may not look it but they are pretty robust.

On the vibrations I cant remember what frame you were using, I think you were doing a new version of David's Tricopter?  If so is it the one with the CF arms?  Also what have you used to isolate the KK2 from the frame (do you have foam between it and the board?).

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1349 on: January 21, 2015, 12:21:10 PM »
Well I got to go flying today and this time the action cam worked, amazing what happens when you have a charged battery  ;D

I also tried the some Yaw D tuning, when I had Yaw D at 0.003 at start up I would get a wicked side to side motion on the yaw, so I dialed it back to 0 and it stabilised, once stable again I turned it back on it seemed to remain stable.  I took off and the Yaw D set at 0.003 did wonders.  I dont like fact I need to have 0 at start but then 0.003 once I'm ready for take off.  At 0.003 it did seem to reduce the slow wiggle I get.  I will keep trying with some changes, I will dial it back to 0.001 and see if that helps.  I'll also try 0.005 and see what that does on start up :-)

I took her up to 30m today and got a good view of Chatswood from my local oval.  Here is the video of that part:
Small | Large

I did a bit of loiter mode flying and on occasions it would want to veer off so I'll need to review the flight logs to find out what it thought was going on.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander