Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 687589 times)

Marschy

Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1275 on: January 13, 2015, 12:05:17 PM »
I did one battery almost entirely on ALT HOLD mode, i think the issues I had with the other APM board was to do with Z vibrations, this mini APM didnt drift at all on the alt, so I'm happy with it.  It uses approx 14 amps to hover at approx 40-45% throttle.
Release 3.2 did a lot of work on Loiter mode, you would think that this probably had an impact on Alt Hold and Drift as well.

Keep forgetting I have the blue tooth module at home. Trying not to spend more money than I need to, so I don't need to get the telemetry air module.

Only need another 2.1mm board camera, servo for the tilt gimbal and flange bearings to finish off the ZMR frame. I'm really looking forward to flying the mini quad.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1276 on: January 13, 2015, 03:00:39 PM »
Have you got any photos of your new carbon frame mini quad Chris?

I found a supplier on Aliexpress for the flange bearings used in the tilt-pan servo gimbal. They are 3x6x2.5 size and available from Hobbyking for $6.14 for 4, but I can them from Aliexpress in greater quantities and for less (10 for $4.00 US). They don't have to be top quality for the job they will be doing because they won't be spinning at 10000 rpm or anything stupid like that.

Hi,

No pics of the CF frame yet, currently still using the HK frame, which I as I suspected it is not CF but GF.  I have put it mainly together without any motors,etc (only added a receiver and APM to do a range test).  I'll take some pics tonight of the frame.

I'm not sure when I'll mount it on CF frame, the challenge will be to fit it all.  It was a struggle with the current frame, to fit it all on the CF frame will be even harder as it's narrower and not as long.  The 2200mah battery just fits with the current landing gear.

Man the mobius does a great job in daylight, wow all my tests before had been at night or indoors.  With good light I'd have to say it gives my gopro a good run for its money.  Just working on a vid at present, should have one from today's flight up tonight.  Will send through a link when it's uploaded.

Chris
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1277 on: January 13, 2015, 03:15:22 PM »
Release 3.2 did a lot of work on Loiter mode, you would think that this probably had an impact on Alt Hold and Drift as well.

Keep forgetting I have the blue tooth module at home. Trying not to spend more money than I need to, so I don't need to get the telemetry air module.

Only need another 2.1mm board camera, servo for the tilt gimbal and flange bearings to finish off the ZMR frame. I'm really looking forward to flying the mini quad.

You'll have a lot of fun once it's done, I know that my flight time is roughly 25% tri and 75% quad at present.  That will change once I get the gimbal mount done tonight - hopefully more to a 50/50.

I have 2 sets of telemetry radios, it's handy having the 4 radios, I dont have to swap stuff and I have 2 in flight box so I definitely have one with me every time I fly.  Since you have the blue tooth link you may as well use it.

The mini holds on alt hold as well as the tri does, loiter though is a different matter.  I have to monkey with the PID's as it over corrects badly and just doesnt sit as nicely as the tri.  I'm thinking of trying the POSHOLD mode, as it gives you the throttle control back, not sure yet as it does a better job of hovering than I do......

During my speed run today it recorded a speed of 60km/h which was by no means as fast as it can go, just as fast as I was willing to push it today.  On review of the telemetry logs I noticed that my GPS was good except for about 30 secs it went off the reservation in a big way.  Said I was about 100m away and over houses, so I know it's wrong (recorded a speed of 130km/h when it jump to this spot).

Will take it out for a spin again tomorrow if the wind stays nice and low like this morning.  Might get to fly both of them :-)

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1278 on: January 13, 2015, 03:22:20 PM »
Has anyone seen this in their APM logs?
I have been analizing my logs and have found this line in it that worries me a bit

"Test: Compass = FAIL - Large compass off params (X:259.00, Y:-11.00, Z:35.00)
 No MAG data, unable to test mag_field"

I have calabrated my compass in mission planner and hit all the points using mission planner so why is it this test fails?

Regards
 Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1279 on: January 13, 2015, 05:01:23 PM »
I have been analizing my logs and have found this line in it that worries me a bit

I have calabrated my compass in mission planner and hit all the points using mission planner so why is it this test fails?

Regards
 Crispy

Hi Crispy,

That X value is way too high.

Couple of things to check, the first is did you do a Compass / Mot calibration too?  Are any of the wires from the compass near the motor wires?  Also some have reported that lots of vibrations have caused some funny readings.

I did have this error a long time ago, I redid the calibration (3.1.5 took alot longer to do than 3.2 does) and it worked for me.  I'd suggest retrying it and see how it goes.  Also do the compass / mot calibration too in case it's impacting on it.  Move any wires from the compass away from stuff that causes interference and also you can try putting in twists in the compass cable if it doesn't have one already.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1280 on: January 13, 2015, 05:22:15 PM »
Hi Crispy,

That X value is way too high.

Couple of things to check, the first is did you do a Compass / Mot calibration too?  Are any of the wires from the compass near the motor wires?  Also some have reported that lots of vibrations have caused some funny readings.

I did have this error a long time ago, I redid the calibration (3.1.5 took alot longer to do than 3.2 does) and it worked for me.  I'd suggest retrying it and see how it goes.  Also do the compass / mot calibration too in case it's impacting on it.  Move any wires from the compass away from stuff that causes interference and also you can try putting in twists in the compass cable if it doesn't have one already.

Chris

Just noticed in your original message, you have already redone the calibration with no success.  I'd still try the compass/motor calibration just in case.  Have you tried the calibration with the APM just connected via USB not on the frame at all?  Does it give lower numbers?

Do you have another compass you can try?  If so I'd plug it in and redo the calibration.

If not then I'd suggest buying a spare anyway :-)

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #1281 on: January 13, 2015, 05:33:24 PM »
Those values .. Are they like in Naza the distance of the GPS compass from COG ?? or is that something else ... Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Marschy

« Reply #1282 on: January 13, 2015, 05:37:52 PM »

Regards
 Crispy
Chris will be able to answer this, but doesn't the APM 2.7 from Hobbyking have a jumper to disable the onboard compass?

If it is interference from the motors, try hot gluing a piece of alfoil under the puck and see if that makes a difference.

The APM doesn't care where you put the puck Steve, as long as the compass is orientated correctly.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 05:41:58 PM by Marschy »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1283 on: January 13, 2015, 05:49:57 PM »
Chris will be able to answer this, but doesn't the APM 2.7 from Hobbyking have a jumper to disable the onboard compass?

If it is interference from the motors, try hot gluing a piece of alfoil under the puck and see if that makes a difference.

The APM doesn't care where you put the puck Steve, as long as the compass is orientated correctly.

Thats right it does :-) I forgot about that - forgot he was on a 2.7 board, you move the jumper pin to the external compass location.  If it's already set to external move it to the internal and try it (if that works then you have a dicky external compass - send it back as you want the external to work), if it's on the internal move it to the external (means the internal is getting to much interference or is dicky - if the internal is dicky I'd live with it as you'll be using the external).

Picture of jumper settings:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/294567573X637474X49.jpg

One extra bit of info, do not bypass this check and try to fly without it working.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1284 on: January 14, 2015, 11:57:08 AM »
Oops.
Crashed and smashed!
GPS does not look good.

So why does a neo6 cost $30 more than a neo7?
Oh well nust get arround to getting another.
I will have to hold off on the Alien frame for a while until I get this FC flying correctly on my scratch built.
I also did another compass cal using the internal compass and the results were the same. I even remembered to change the value in mission planner to 0 for an internal compass. that first value is still in the 250 range.
Regards
Crispy
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:00:00 PM by Crisp Image »

Marschy

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 12:26:00 PM by Marschy »

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User

Offline PluckA

• Learning the Ropes
Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1287 on: January 14, 2015, 12:32:04 PM »
What web address do you go to for hk I want to track an international air express orders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1288 on: January 14, 2015, 01:31:45 PM »
You just have to log in to your hk account and they give you tracking numbers that link to the shipment.
Regards
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy

Offline PluckA

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #1289 on: January 14, 2015, 01:36:36 PM »
Yep.....not listed yet by the looks of it

Using Tapatalk

Marschy

« Reply #1290 on: January 14, 2015, 02:17:41 PM »
If it's a ......SG (Singapore Speed Post) consignment, the link will take you to the Speed Post website. If it says there is no information about the shipment, there is another link on the result page that says something like 'click here' that will take you to the Singapore Air Mail site where you can also try the shipment number.

Offline PluckA

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #1291 on: January 14, 2015, 02:56:15 PM »
RP403307533SG yep SG

Using Tapatalk

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1292 on: January 14, 2015, 04:07:01 PM »
Oops.
Crashed and smashed!
GPS does not look good.

So why does a neo6 cost $30 more than a neo7?
Oh well nust get arround to getting another.
I will have to hold off on the Alien frame for a while until I get this FC flying correctly on my scratch built.
I also did another compass cal using the internal compass and the results were the same. I even remembered to change the value in mission planner to 0 for an internal compass. that first value is still in the 250 range.
Regards
Crispy

Golden rule with APM is if it's not all 100% good, dont fly :-(

There have been reports of some Pixhawks that were getting faulty readings and the only fix was to replace the board.  I heard of people on APM's also having the same issue.

If you have an android phone you can download a magnetic field detector, just to make sure it's not the environment you are in.  If it is then I'd find somewhere else to fly :-)  There are most likely apps for the iphone but I dont have one of those so not sure.

Ouch that GPS antenna is toast, if the chips look okay (apart from the antenna which is that ceramic bit with a flat bit of metal on it) then you can order replacement antennas from aliexpress for under $10 for 10.  I'm waiting for mine to arrive as I killed a GPS in a crash a few weeks back.

Get the 4mm version if you do it.  The more ceramic the better isolation it has from the electronics on the other side.

Are you sure it was using the external before, just that its odd that both are reporting similar results.  The compass should still work on the GPS/Compass combo.  So you can still test while waiting for the replacement.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1293 on: January 14, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
Ouch that GPS antenna is toast, if the chips look okay (apart from the antenna which is that ceramic bit with a flat bit of metal on it) then you can order replacement antennas from aliexpress for under $10 for 10.  I'm waiting for mine to arrive as I killed a GPS in a crash a few weeks back.

Get the 4mm version if you do it.  The more ceramic the better isolation it has from the electronics on the other side.

Are you sure it was using the external before, just that its odd that both are reporting similar results.  The compass should still work on the GPS/Compass combo.  So you can still test while waiting for the replacement.

Chris
When you get the replacement antennas if you have a spare chuck on this way. I don't know how you remove it.[EDIT] Figured out how to remove it the problem might be reinstalling is as it was soldered in. The only I will be able to do that is to heat the pin up and hope the solder on the other end holds and does not cook the GPS chip.
When I removed the external gps/compass I had to change the setting in mission planner to tell it to use the internal compass. So I am sure that the compass readings are external and then internal.
What are your readings?
Regards
Crispy
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 04:32:15 PM by Crisp Image »

Marschy

« Reply #1294 on: January 14, 2015, 04:13:40 PM »
RP403307533SG yep SG

After you go into the Track and Trace web page on Singapore Speedpost, option 3 has a 'Click here to check' link which takes you to this page.

http://www.singpost.com/track-items

Feed your consignment number into the box on the left hand side, then click on 'Track Item' which will display the status of your order which is...

ta da

Status is 'Despatch to overseas country (Country code : AU) Status date 10/01/2015

Offline PluckA

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #1295 on: January 14, 2015, 04:21:36 PM »
Thanks mate, took me abit but got there

Using Tapatalk

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #1296 on: January 14, 2015, 04:21:50 PM »
Chris ,

I've got this sitting here doing nothing - It came with something I bought ??? I don't use it ...

Pics to follow soon .

Steve
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Marschy

« Reply #1297 on: January 14, 2015, 04:23:04 PM »
Thanks mate, took me abit but got there

That is unfortunately about the only status you will get until the postie knocks on your door.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1298 on: January 14, 2015, 06:22:52 PM »
When you get the replacement antennas if you have a spare chuck on this way. I don't know how you remove it.[EDIT] Figured out how to remove it the problem might be reinstalling is as it was soldered in. The only I will be able to do that is to heat the pin up and hope the solder on the other end holds and does not cook the GPS chip.
When I removed the external gps/compass I had to change the setting in mission planner to tell it to use the internal compass. So I am sure that the compass readings are external and then internal.
What are your readings?
Regards
Crispy

I'll see how I go, I can send you one if I'm successful.

To change it over you need to turn up your solder iron right on up so you normally desolder antenna post on the side with the chip and then you slide a very thin knife under the antenna (to break the glue).  Should be able to pull the antenna off.  With it turned up high you should have it touching for minimal time, so it shouldn't heat up the GPS chip to much.

Then it's peel off the backing sheet on the GPS antenna and attach to the board.  Then solder it with a hot iron on the side with the GPS chip.  Again have it touching for very minimal time.  I'll try to record the one I do and post it up.

Got called out last night so couldnt do the clip.  I'm on standby for another job tonight so may not get to it tonight either.  This wind and rain is getting annoying.....

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1299 on: January 14, 2015, 10:59:03 PM »
What are your readings?
Regards
Crispy

Hi Crispy,

mini quad:
COMPASS_OFS_X,-28
COMPASS_OFS_Y,-1
COMPASS_OFS_Z,-28

COMPASS_MOT_X,-0.04588571
COMPASS_MOT_Y,-0.002530452
COMPASS_MOT_Z,0.07735726

Tricopter:
COMPASS_OFS_X,-51.29225
COMPASS_OFS_Y,-29.91646
COMPASS_OFS_Z,-0.3222408

Havent done the motor calibration with the tri, but will be doing it before it takes flight again.

Here is an extract from the arducopter site:

Compass failures:

Compass not healthy : the compass sensor is reporting that it is unhealthy which is a sign of a hardware failure.

Compass not calibrated : the compass(es) has not been calibrated.  the COMPASS_OFS_X, Y, Z parameters are zero or the number or type of compasses connected has been changed since the last compass calibration was performed.

Compass offsets too high : the primary compass’s offsets length (i.e. sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)) are larger than 500.  This can be caused by metal objects being placed too close to the compass.  If only an internal compass is being used (not recommended), it may simply be the metal in the board that is causing the large offsets and this may not actually be a problem in which case you may wish to disable the compass check.

Check mag field : the sensed magnetic field in the area is 35% higher or  lower than the expected value.  The expected length is 530 so it’s > 874 or < 185.  Magnetic field strength varies around the world but these wide limits mean it’s more likely the compass calibration has not calculated good offsets and should be repeated.

Compasses inconsistent : the internal and external compasses are pointing in different directions (off by >45 degrees).  This is normally caused by the external compasses orientation (i.e. COMPASS_ORIENT parameter) being set incorrectly.

Regards,

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander