Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 687772 times)

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1200 on: January 08, 2015, 12:56:17 PM »
Thanks mate !!!! Wouldn't have worked that out..Now to work out how to get English on the screen...
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Marschy

« Reply #1201 on: January 08, 2015, 12:58:35 PM »
Thanks mate !!!! Wouldn't have worked that out..Now to work out how to get English on the screen...

Post # 10
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2257352

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1202 on: January 08, 2015, 01:58:27 PM »
Well my mini quad's diet has worked, its now a whole 574g without the battery.  Missed my chance to go flying this morning, now it's too hot so I'll leave it till tomorrow morning.

Another plus is in my clean up looking for the IXUS 115HS I also found an old canon A550, which also can run the CHDK.  Well that took about 15 mins and it's done, so now I have two cameras to play with for aerial mapping.  Good news is that this one takes AA so I can play with the CHDK without draining the other batteries in the IXUS 115.  Got confirmation my charger has shipped so should be here on Monday or Tuesday  ;D

I plan to work out a mount point on the Tricopter for the stabilised gimbal.  Damn it does a good job of holding position, cant wait to get it mounted and try it out.  Unlikely to be this week at this rate but next week I think I'll be ready to take some stabilised footage  8).

Thanks Steve, I now also plan to build a thrust meter next week......

I'm thinking of building a home made prop balancer?  Has anyone built one, got some good plans to point me at?

Chris

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:25:46 PM by CBRK »
Toyota Prado (96) - 90 Series & Skamper Kamper Ranger Offroad

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #1203 on: January 08, 2015, 02:08:28 PM »
Here you go https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=td5p2cmO-Yo Grandpa google to the rescue
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1204 on: January 08, 2015, 06:40:54 PM »
Here is what I got from ACMA today

Thanks for your enquiry.

Please refer to the attached document LIPD.

If the frequency and the transmitting power of your device meets the specifications mentioned in the LIPD document, you can use it under class license category. Equipment using Class license frequencies doesn’t require to get a license from ACMA. They work under ‘No interference no protection” basis.

Please check with your equipment seller whether the device can operate on one of the listed frequencies within the limitations (power, type of transmitter, maximum EIRP) explained in LIPD.

Hope this information assists your query.

I have attached the PDF that they sent me.
Can anyone make out this? I think if the Tx is 25mW the frequency is OK.
Regards
Crispy

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1205 on: January 08, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »
Here is what I got from ACMA today

Thanks for your enquiry.

Please refer to the attached document LIPD.

If the frequency and the transmitting power of your device meets the specifications mentioned in the LIPD document, you can use it under class license category. Equipment using Class license frequencies doesn’t require to get a license from ACMA. They work under ‘No interference no protection” basis.

Please check with your equipment seller whether the device can operate on one of the listed frequencies within the limitations (power, type of transmitter, maximum EIRP) explained in LIPD.

Hope this information assists your query.

I have attached the PDF that they sent me.
Can anyone make out this? I think if the Tx is 25mW the frequency is OK.
Regards
Crispy

I can see where the ISM 915Mhz frequency hoping 1 W provision is.  I can see there is a 25mW provision for 433 Mhz, I've looked at this exact document before and never noticed that......  I've always been looking for 915Mhz, and 2.4 Ghz.

Good new is that I think you are ok for 25mW (I'm not a lawyer though....), you'll need to turn it down to that level, you'll need to find out what Tx level that corresponds to in Mission Planner.

I get annoyed with government depts that cant answer a simple question, they don't want to be on the hook if they get it wrong.  Just like when I was looking at doing some renovations to the outside, they said here is the document and it's up to you to decide if they meet those provisions......  Sigh.  I even asked, since it's a retaining wall and if I measure this as x and that as y is it legal, "Sir you'll need to make that assessment, I'm not allowed to", what has the world come to.....  It was clear cut.....

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1206 on: January 08, 2015, 08:46:39 PM »
I can see where the ISM 915Mhz frequency hoping 1 W provision is.  I can see there is a 25mW provision for 433 Mhz, I've looked at this exact document before and never noticed that......  I've always been looking for 915Mhz, and 2.4 Ghz.

Good new is that I think you are ok for 25mW (I'm not a lawyer though....), you'll need to turn it down to that level, you'll need to find out what Tx level that corresponds to in Mission Planner.

I get annoyed with government depts that cant answer a simple question, they don't want to be on the hook if they get it wrong.  Just like when I was looking at doing some renovations to the outside, they said here is the document and it's up to you to decide if they meet those provisions......  Sigh.  I even asked, since it's a retaining wall and if I measure this as x and that as y is it legal, "Sir you'll need to make that assessment, I'm not allowed to", what has the world come to.....  It was clear cut.....

Chris
I set the telemetry radios up (14 in mission planner) so all should be good. They communicate ok.
I have got another issue at the moment. My radio has stopped working with the APM. I have been playing with settings and stuff. I reound and made no difference. So I reset the radio to default settings and rebound it and it still is not working as it did in the past.
I am packing up now for the night as it is getting to me.
Time for a rest.
Regards
Crispy

Marschy

« Reply #1207 on: January 08, 2015, 09:06:08 PM »
I thought these transmitters were typically 100mW, I could be wrong though.

I made a thrust tester tonight. I just have to cut a piece of MDF out to screw it down onto.

I gave it a quick test though by just holding the rig down with one hand while I used the servo tester and camera with the other (risky, you bet).

It initially read 374 grams, but this quickly starts to drop at 100% throttle. This is the stand and the reading I got and the thrust chart. Maximum I should get with a 5030 carbon fibre prop is 380 grams, so I am extemely happy with the results so far using the plastic Gemfan prop.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1208 on: January 08, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »
I thought these transmitters were typically 100mW, I could be wrong though.

I made a thrust tester tonight. I just have to cut a piece of MDF out to screw it down onto.

I gave it a quick test though by just holding the rig down with one hand while I used the servo tester and camera with the other (risky, you bet).

It initially read 374 grams, but this quickly starts to drop at 100% throttle. This is the stand and the reading I got and the thrust chart. Maximum I should get with a 5030 carbon fibre prop is 380 grams, so I am extemely happy with the results so far using the plastic Gemfan prop.

Hi,

They are 100 mW by default, that's at 100% tx power.  In APM on the 3DR radio section you can reduce the Tx power down as required to keep them legal.  He's set it to 14 which should be 25mW on the output.

Nice thrust meter, thats the type I'm planning on building too.  I will start on mine tomorrow or the weekend since everyone seems to be going gang busters.....

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1209 on: January 09, 2015, 06:01:04 AM »
Hi,

They are 100 mW by default, that's at 100% tx power.  In APM on the 3DR radio section you can reduce the Tx power down as required to keep them legal.  He's set it to 14 which should be 25mW on the output.

Nice thrust meter, thats the type I'm planning on building too.  I will start on mine tomorrow or the weekend since everyone seems to be going gang busters.....

Chris
Did not know that, a good day is when you learn something new.

I should be able to swing upto a 16 inch prop on this rig. Gotta buy me some more flange bearings. I pinched the ones off the ZMR tilt gimbal.

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1210 on: January 09, 2015, 12:40:44 PM »
So here it is. It is a bit agricultural but it flys. I figured out the compass calibration. I had removed the external compass jumper when I should have left it there.
Got the Tx talking to the Rx again. Had to reverse one channel. I still need to get the 3 pos switch to do flight modes so some more research is needed.
It is easier to fly than the KK so now I am considering another frame to mount the apm. The folding 560 looks good but that means new motors, props and ..........oh we'll is is only money.
Will work on osd now to see if I can get the magic smoke (hope not)

Oh and here is the disapproving look from SWMBO

Happy days
Regards
Crispy

Sent using fat fingers on the iPad thingy
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:05:31 PM by Crisp Image »

Marschy

« Reply #1211 on: January 09, 2015, 12:50:34 PM »
I think we all need to be grateful how patient our wives are.

As the first of us to get a Naza and an APM in the air Crispy, how do you rate the flying characteristics of each flight controller?

What the wheel base on this beast?

There are a few ways to setup the flight modes. The way I do it on my 9XR is by setting up a 3 point curve and adding the curve to the 3POS switch and multiplying the 3POS switch with the Ail D/R switch which gives you 6 flight modes.

The instructions I used for this came from youtube, but from memory were for the 9X radio. I will see if I can find it when I get home from work.

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1212 on: January 09, 2015, 01:01:31 PM »
Mark it is about 33cm wheelbase.
They fly a bit differently.
The Naza is easy to configure and easy to fly.
The apm is not as stable but it still needs tuning and will most likely perform better on a real frame.
The current frame is the one I had the KK mounted on and was made out of the original DJI motors when I replaced them with the t motors.
I think when getting new motors I will look at sunny sky or t motors again. They are really good quality.
OSD is now connected and waiting for the battery to charge before connection. Everything seems to be correct but before I connect the power I will check that I am getting the correct readings from apm for +ve  and -ve.
As an auto sparky in a very past life I have had my share of smoke moments.
I let you know how I get on.
Regards
Crispy

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #1213 on: January 09, 2015, 01:39:39 PM »
We'll I guessed that worked!

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 03:41:22 PM by Crisp Image »

Marschy

« Reply #1214 on: January 09, 2015, 01:48:42 PM »

We'll I guessed that worked!

It's can be a bit of a challenge getting the minimOSD to work. Very pleasing when you do, thumbs up.

You're using the stock minimOSD firmware I see (heart beat is not on minimOSD Extra). Extra gives you a 'fuel tank' for your battery as a percentage of what it thinks is left in the tank. As previously indicated by Chris, this is very helpful.

Hint, keep all of your fields in the config screen 1 square away from the edges. It's not too bad on 7 inch screens, but it is bloody hard to read on googles if you have the text right up against the edge of the screen. Check your goggles, I'm pretty sure you will see even less of the GPS coordinates than what you see on your monitor.

I reckon the APM/minimOSD is far better than the DJI iOSD mini as far as what you can put on the screen.

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1215 on: January 09, 2015, 02:42:18 PM »
Ok thanks for the advice. How can I configure the osd? Do I need to flash the firmware? I have a usbasp programmer but it does not match the pin configuration.
I have also got the 6 flight modes on the Tx sorted out. YouTube was the friend here.
Very happy everything works at the moment,

Marschy

« Reply #1216 on: January 09, 2015, 03:06:44 PM »
Ok thanks for the advice. How can I configure the osd? Do I need to flash the firmware? I have a usbasp programmer but it does not match the pin configuration.
I have also got the 6 flight modes on the Tx sorted out. YouTube was the friend here.
Very happy everything works at the moment,

OSD Config software and firmware is here https://code.google.com/p/arducam-osd/wiki/OSD_Config_Tool
OSD Extra config software and firmware is here https://code.google.com/p/minimosd-extra/wiki/Firmware

I'll get the pin-outs for you when I get home for the usbasp programmer, you may need to dodgy up a connector, or get a hold of a FTDI interface. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24779__FTDI_Adapter_USB_Controller_5V.html

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1217 on: January 09, 2015, 05:05:44 PM »
OSD Config software and firmware is here https://code.google.com/p/arducam-osd/wiki/OSD_Config_Tool
OSD Extra config software and firmware is here https://code.google.com/p/minimosd-extra/wiki/Firmware

I'll get the pin-outs for you when I get home for the usbasp programmer, you may need to dodgy up a connector, or get a hold of a FTDI interface. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__24779__FTDI_Adapter_USB_Controller_5V.html

Hi,

I'd highly recommend the Extra version, it gives you a few extra items.  The one I like is that instead of giving you a percentage of your battery used it will give you the actual mah consumed, which is so much better to manage youf battery.

I agree with Marschy try to keep the items 1 square away if you can.

You've done well to get it up without any issues :-)

If you look at my earlier pics of my tricopter you will see it's wooden too.  12mmx12mm pine and some 3mm and 7mm plywood.  Wood is great at absorbing some of the vibrations.  Question, if you have the APM in a case, why the need for the plastic container over the rest?  I take you don't plan to fly during the rain?  If your not using an APM case then it makes sense.

Most of the components can take a bit of a knock.

I'd stick to the one frame for a few months, I did that and it helps to work out what you want on the next one.

Regards,

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1218 on: January 09, 2015, 05:14:57 PM »
Hi,

I'd highly recommend the Extra version, it gives you a few extra items.  The one I like is that instead of giving you a percentage of your battery used it will give you the actual mah consumed, which is so much better to manage youf battery.

I agree with Marschy try to keep the items 1 square away if you can.

You've done well to get it up without any issues :-)

If you look at my earlier pics of my tricopter you will see it's wooden too.  12mmx12mm pine and some 3mm and 7mm plywood.  Wood is great at absorbing some of the vibrations.  Question, if you have the APM in a case, why the need for the plastic container over the rest?  I take you don't plan to fly during the rain?  If your not using an APM case then it makes sense.

Most of the components can take a bit of a knock.

I'd stick to the one frame for a few months, I did that and it helps to work out what you want on the next one.

Regards,

Chris

Chris
The container was used for the KK and so it stayed. I have made it an anti-vibration mount now with the use of ear plugs.

I was also going to mount the GPS on op of the container but ended not doing that.

Thing I have noticed is I cant shut down as fast as I can with the naza, and the throttle response is a bit strange. One time it is really responsive and can get it off the ground quickly others it takes time to wind up and even at full throttle it does actually slows down.
I am not sure what is happening with that. I will have to see if I can capture telemetry logs to see why.
some more googling will be in order for more info. SWMBO has goon off to Melbourne for the W/E and so it is just the boys home.
Crispy
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:18:47 PM by Crisp Image »

Marschy

« Reply #1219 on: January 09, 2015, 05:51:17 PM »
Just realised you can only use the usbasp programmer for loading firmware, not for configuring which requires the FTDI programmer.

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1220 on: January 09, 2015, 05:53:22 PM »
Chris
The container was used for the KK and so it stayed. I have made it an anti-vibration mount now with the use of ear plugs.

I was also going to mount the GPS on op of the container but ended not doing that.

Thing I have noticed is I cant shut down as fast as I can with the naza, and the throttle response is a bit strange. One time it is really responsive and can get it off the ground quickly others it takes time to wind up and even at full throttle it does actually slows down.
I am not sure what is happening with that. I will have to see if I can capture telemetry logs to see why.
some more googling will be in order for more info. SWMBO has goon off to Melbourne for the W/E and so it is just the boys home.
Crispy

Are you positive you are in stabilize mode?  It's sounding like ALTHOLD or LOITER mode, it has a habit of doing that.  It's a very delayed reaction.

If you are in stabilize mode it should respond straight away.

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #1221 on: January 09, 2015, 05:57:26 PM »
Just realised you can only use the usbasp programmer for loading firmware, not for configuring which requires the FTDI programmer.
This is what I have been reading. Need to find a FTDI

Chris I was in alt hold and loiter. I will have to try stabilize.
Thanks

Marschy

« Reply #1222 on: January 09, 2015, 05:59:24 PM »

Thanks

Jaycar have them for $25. With the missus out of town, now is your opportunity. Just search for FTDI. It's the same one I have.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=XC4241
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 06:01:51 PM by Marschy »

Offline CBRK

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #1223 on: January 09, 2015, 06:05:16 PM »

Thanks

I'd avoid taking off in ALT HOLD or LOITER, the AUTO take off mode seems to work well.  You can flick back to ALT HOLD or LOITER once your in the air.  That's what I do, also it's good to be confident to fly in stabilize mode, as it's your go to mode if it goes wrong.

Regards,

Chris

Mitsubishi Outlander

Marschy

« Reply #1224 on: January 09, 2015, 06:23:09 PM »
How small is this tri when it's folded. Can't wait to receive it. My first tricopter.

Small | Large