Author Topic: Duetto 240V/12Vdc Hotwater System  (Read 2339 times)

Offline Bob Ford

• Learning the Ropes
Duetto 240V/12Vdc Hotwater System
« on: August 27, 2016, 07:24:40 AM »
We are currently on our Third Duetto Hotwater Unit, one replaced under warranty and two we had to purchase as failures occurred after 90 days. I joined this forum as I noticed questions concerning them. Firstly they are not Made in Australia, what is? They are Chinese.
Many modifications have been made to them over the past 5-6 years. Element seal 'O Ring' replaced with a silicone seal. But poorly secured and can leak after thermal changes over a short period of time, ie 4-5 months. The relay unit 240V/12 switch over has been updated.
Our first unit electrified the entire motorhome, a leakage or short from 240Vac to the 12Vdc  once the Element seal failed and leaking water caused the short. Second unit developed a split in the tank,again short circuits tripped out circuit breakers, plastic case/housing is destroyed to open and expose the entirety of the tank. Our current units 12V heater element corroded and split after 36 months, we had been supplied a replacement element/seal, so was no great problem to repair. 3 months later the tank again has a split/leak not associated with inlet  /outlet  or element seal.
Unfortunately the designed space for a Hotwater unit in our Motor Home has prevented the replacement with any other type of system.
The Duetto is a very expensive unit for 10 litres of Hotwater given the poor reliability we have experienced. Shame as it certainly looks the goods. My solution this time is to strip to component parts, and home build a fibreglass casing in two parts, around a new storage tank.

We are done with travelling now, having spent 8 years cruising on multihull yachts, 12vdc split system solar hotwater systems of our own build. Then 4 Years full time on the Highways of Australia. Liked the Home Hill Free Comfort stop so much, bought a property and built  a home and Laundromat there. We are keeping the Motor Home, just in case. Just have to solve the Hotwater units reliability.