Author Topic: Re-introduction  (Read 2275 times)

Offline Mr Ploppy

• I Should Be Out Camping!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
    • Tier Gear
Re-introduction
« on: June 21, 2012, 04:47:12 PM »
Hi all,

I have been away from the camper trailer seen and my swag for some time. Went back to tent camping and let the camper rego run out. Now we have a big trip planned so there are some mods to do to the camper and get it back on the road.

Have loved looking through all the threads I have missed.
"When the deities are with you, you can cross the ocean on a plank. When they are against you, you can drown in a ditch".

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Re: Re-introduction
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 04:56:44 PM »
Welcome back.

What's the big plan?
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 05:19:18 PM »
Welcome back, Cue the 'Welcome back Kotta' music  ;D
Yeah, where ya planning on heading and what mods do ya need to complete before heading off?
Good luck with your preparation work.
 :cheers:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Mr Ploppy

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Tier Gear
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 06:23:57 PM »
Well let's just say that we have started offloading a lot of our stuff. We have talked on and off over the years about travelling more, but this time I think its going to happen, for an indefinite period, and an indefinite direction  :cheers:.

The camper and Defender need a few mods to get them up to scratch.

The trailer I have is a robust unit but needs some work. The camper top is an import job which leaks a little in heavy rain and will be replaced one day but the tarp takes care of any drama's. On the trailer I have already ripped the old tailgate kitchen off and am planning on getting a Drifta pullout with matching storage box. The ply of the bedbase has bowed at the rear due to there being no horizontal top bar at the rear of the trailer, it looks like it has been cut off for some reason, as a result the tailgate doesnt seal too well, so I need to put in a top bar, maybe a new bed base, and put in some rubber seals. I am replumbing the water tank, removing the 12 volt pump and going to a hand pump on the Drifta. The electricals need re-doing. I am changing the hubs over to match the Defender and installing electric brakes. The tent needs some new bows to replace a couple of bent and dodgy ones. And basically a bit of a spruce up. Oh yeah and the side door of the trailer will be welded up as it was a bit of bodgy job by the PO and lets in a heap of dust, it will no longer be needed with the Drifta set up. I considered getting a new camper top but think we might just make do with this one for now maybe... The springs are only slipper springs but they seem like good quality heavy duty ones, which have served us well so far, they may be replaced with better offroad springs before we go though.

The Defender is a 130 HCPU which is the dual cab with tub, which has served us well and which I love. I recently bought a rack with solid roof for the tub off a guy off AULRO which has a sub-rack built just under the roof which is very handy, and our local canvas guy is doing his thing on it this Monday. The tub will also be getting some Drifta draws to keep everything tidy, and give a nice flat platform for the dog and fridge. I need to install a UHF and snorkel, sound proofing (its a defender remember) and that should be about it, though I know there will be more and yes I know  :worthles:

We are in no hurry so will take our time getting ready and then make a decision when we go with our two young kids and dog.
"When the deities are with you, you can cross the ocean on a plank. When they are against you, you can drown in a ditch".

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »
This is a pic of our previous camper, it had a pull out kitchen that had a storage area above it and below the bed.
Is this the kinda thing you are chasing?

I can't lay clam to building this, the previous owner did all the work.
I did install a 90lt water tank on the left hand side above the axle.

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 08:24:38 PM »
Welcome back mate. :D

Heaps of help here

Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe

Offline Mr Ploppy

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Tier Gear
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 09:13:49 PM »
This is a pic of our previous camper, it had a pull out kitchen that had a storage area above it and below the bed.
Is this the kinda thing you are chasing?

I can't lay clam to building this, the previous owner did all the work.
I did install a 90lt water tank on the left hand side above the axle.

Interesting idea but we are going for the more traditional style, keeping it simple. When I mentioned the storage box I was simply refering to another draw that sits beside the kitchen in the trailer.

Offline Hairs

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 09:17:32 PM »
Fair enough.
If I hadn't put a water tank inside next to the kitchen I was also planning to have another pull out draw with storage.

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 01:59:25 PM »
Hi and welcome back, looking forward to hearing about the mods and trip prep.

:cheers: bubba
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback