Author Topic: Blue tongue Overland XF FF camper  (Read 2761 times)

Offline Malolo

• Learning the Ropes
Blue tongue Overland XF FF camper
« on: April 09, 2017, 09:54:50 AM »
Hi as many before navigating the pros and cons of all the different campers.  We are looking at Blue Tongue.  Does anyone have any recent experience with their hard floor campers?  Research certainly highlights the cons of imports and the canvas being an issue.  At about $22k it is a good price point for our budget.

It does not claim to be fully off-road, not sure if it the suspension or clearance that is the main factor in being semi-off-road.

The other option we are looking at is the Cub Brumby RF or Frontier FF, both certainly more expensive.

Appreciate any feedback.

Offline peter01

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • live the -
    • http://ourezytrail.blogspot.com.au/
Re: Blue tongue Overland XF FF camper
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 09:59:07 AM »
Malolo, welcome to the forum no experience with Blue tounge but we have a FF camper and find it brilliant
2014 GLXR Triton
2015 Blue Water - FF Darling camper

Our blog:     http://ourezytrail.blogspot.com.au/

The following users thanked this post: Malolo

Offline Malolo

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 10:19:49 AM »
Malolo, welcome to the forum no experience with Blue tounge but we have a FF camper and find it brilliant

galstonjim

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 12:30:37 PM »
Hi,

We bought a Blue Tongue Elite rear fold hard floor in 2014. Andrew and Karl are great to deal with and very open about the camper origins and it's ability. They are also one of the few sellers who weigh their campers with all poles, annexes and empty gas bottle on board. So the tare weight on the plate can be more trusted if that's a concern for you.

We had some small quality control issues with the camper but at this price point I was OK with that. None were serious or left us stranded and I've read guys who have spent $60k on a camper and still had issues.

Regarding the canvas, the first time we used it we had 3 inches of rain in about 3 hours and 10 inches over a 5 day period. We didn't get a single drop inside the camper or annexe. So quality of the canvas wasn't an issue for us.

If I was in the market for a FF camper, I'd give them serious consideration.

Cheers,
James

Offline Malolo

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 02:26:31 PM »
Thanks James for the feedback.  Weight isn't an issue as we have a D-max.  What were the quality issues you had?  Have you done any off-roads trips in your camper?

galstonjim

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 06:33:59 PM »
Trying to remember.... nearly 3 years ago and lot of beers have been had.

I replaced the mattress as the original one was uncomfortable. This meant more weight which broke the strut mounts for the bed base. Easily fixed. The water pump was set way too high at 170psi. This blew the water hoses off so I replaced it with a 60 psi pump. The water hose from the pump to the tap was flavouring the water so I replaced that. The 90 degree corners of the front boxes weren't sealing properly with the rubber seals. A little bit of silicone fixed that. The runners were fixed with cheap metal self tappers so the draws would drop and hit the body. Replaced those with appropriate fixers.

As I said, nothing major. Just niggling little things. Depends how pedantic you are; I'm very.

We never did any real off road with the camper. We sold it last November and bought an Ultimate. We didn't sell it because we were unhappy with it; rather a circumstance change financially.

The new owner plans to travel from the eastern most point to the western most point straight across the middle. He'd done his homework and was more than satisfied the Blue Tongue was up to the task.

Cheers,
James
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 06:37:33 PM by galstonjim »

Offline crappsy

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Life's short so enjoy it when you can
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2017, 06:34:55 PM »
I'll second what James has said when we had ours it performed faultless.

Offline Malolo

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2017, 09:13:33 PM »
Thanks James that is helpfully.  We are looking to travel to Uluru area later this year.  Most will be main roads but we want the option to get of the highway as we travel more.  This is the next step from a tent!