Author Topic: 2010 Nissan Navara VDC Issues  (Read 11980 times)

Offline MAC93

• Learning the Ropes
2010 Nissan Navara VDC Issues
« on: May 15, 2014, 11:07:55 PM »
Hey Guys,

I've recently noticed in my 2010 Nissan Navara St-X that there is something odd happening with the traction control [VDC]. When I push the 'VDC Off' button next to the gearstick it displays as being off with an orange light on the dash. However when testing it on Gravel and Wet roads I can feel the traction control still kicking in and cutting the power when I lose traction. I can also see the flashing icon on the dash which flashes to indicate I've lost traction and that traction control is kicking in, when it should be off. This is a huge issue when 4WDing as the power will be reduced when I have less traction, leaving me bogged, a lot. Also when shifting into 4WD [HI or LO], traction control used to automatically turn off and it no longer does that either. Basically all the indicator lights and everything tied to the VDC system are working but it just won't turn off when I need it to.

HELP!!

Offline chillipepperz

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: 2010 Nissan Navara VDC Issues
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 11:12:17 PM »
Warranty?
Alumina Hardtop Camper Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22809.0

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 09:05:44 AM »
First thing is to reset the fault codes.

1. Turn your ignition to 'on' and close the doors.

2. After 3 seconds pump the accelator pedal up and down 5 times within 5 seconds taking your foot off the accelerator after the last one.

3. Wait for 7 seconds then press and hold the accelerator pedal for 10 seconds.  The Engine Light should start to flash and you can take your foot off the accelerator.

Atfer 10 seconds the Engine Managment Light will start to flash, at this point remove foot from accelerator.

You should see variations of flashing like morse code.  This is telling you the fault codes.  If you are keen try writing down what they are doing.  It may be like 10 fast flashes and then ten slow or something.  These will mean something if you know the fault codes but at this stage we just want to reset it.

4. So after about 10 - 15 seconds push the accelerator again and hold it down for at least another 10 seconds.
5. Take foot off accelerator and turn ignition off.
6. Restart.
7.  See what happens.

One of the troubles with Nav's is if they log a code they can disable stuff even though its fine.  Probably Mr Nissan wants it at his dealership pronto.  Just wait until they perfect the 'lassie go home function' and it will drive to the nearest one on its own, with you hanging off the tailgate....

If it doesn't clear then you have three options.

1. Disconnect the battery and leave overnight to reset the ecu.
2. Go to nissan
3. Buy a Code Reader that plugs into the onboard diagnostic socket (OBD2) and you can read the faults yourself.  Then google them to find what sensor.

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline speedcomm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »
My understanding ( From a Navara hatchback owner ) is that you can't turn the traction control off, you can't in mine anyway. When you shift into low range it disables stability control but leaves the traction control on, hence the blinky lights when you loose traction. Same as when you press the button you are disabling stability control not traction control.  In a low traction situation, just put the boot into it hard, I've done it a number of times with mine on steep loose hills and muddy rutted stuff, the traction control does its thing and works really well, as long as you are powering it, very different to diff locks where you can crawl with no throttle. 
2.8L Prado. Jayco Eagle OB.

Offline MAC93

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 08:34:51 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys,

chillipepperz - The car is past warranty unfortunately

dazzler - Just went through that process and I got 10 quick flashes. Break. 10 quick flashes. Break. 10 quick flashes. Break. 10 slow flashes
Seems after doing that I now have VDC automatically going off when shifting into 4WD which is a step forward.

speedcomm - This actually makes sense. I just thought that when i first got the car that when I turned VDC off I could take it quick around a wet or gravel corner and I could lose traction with full power. But now it feels like i can hear the motor cut power when this happens. Maybe it's something I just didn't notice before. Correct me if I'm wrong but if this is the case then isn't that a major problem because we can't get full power when driving on loose surfaces? Which most 4WD tracks are? Also it seems like the car isn't designed to automatically turn VDC off when in 4WD HI, only in LO. Is there any reason for this?

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 08:45:40 PM »

. Correct me if I'm wrong but if this is the case then isn't that a major problem because we can't get full power when driving on loose surfaces? Which most 4WD tracks are? Also it seems like the car isn't designed to automatically turn VDC off when in 4WD HI, only in LO. Is there any reason for this?

What an interesting question. For my driving style it would only ever be an issue on the sand otherwise it would be rare for full power in high range. I drive off road more like an enduro rider than a motocrosser if that makes sense.

Wonder what others think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline speedcomm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 10:12:56 AM »
Mac, in practice it works well, the only time I have not wanted it is when being a hoon and wanting a loss of traction... Impossible to rooster someone behind you.
Also Remembering that the traction control from my understanding does not limit engine output, it only applies braking to a slipping wheel, so you still have full engine output going to the wheels that are not slipping, unlike the stability control which I understand reduces engine output to calm things down as well as applying brake to slipping wheels.
2.8L Prado. Jayco Eagle OB.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 11:12:21 AM »
Better than the speed limiters on the EL Falcons causing all sorts of back of understeer problems at 178  :-[

I think it just retrarded the ignition a long way.

Offline Jakster1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 05:50:37 AM »
Out of interest what happens in a low traction situation where all 4wheels are spinning like in mud or soft sand?  Does it apply Brakes to all 4 and bring you to a complete halt or can it allow some slip and let you crawl out
GU Patrol. Lifted Locked and Boosted
 Johnnos offroad deluxe -SOLD
 Dmax dual cab 4x4
 Jayco Eagle Outback

Offline MAC93

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 04:50:50 PM »
Thanks for all your help everyone I think I was just noticing something that's been there the whole time and is just how the navara's are designed. Seems to make sense on why they would be designed that way because you wouldn't want your wheels just spinning going nowhere on a surface like loose sand anyway. I'll just have to remember to basically always switch VDC off when driving on anything but road and let traction control do it's usual thing.

Cheers guys