Author Topic: Camper Trailer Tops?  (Read 9865 times)

Offline kado

• Sleeping Bag User
Camper Trailer Tops?
« on: January 06, 2013, 09:33:01 PM »
Hi
Advice please?

After a fair bit of research we have come down to a few Camper Trailer Tops to suit our 7 x 4 Camper Trailer. We are a young family of 4 with a 4 & 6 yr old who enjoys camping about 2-3 times per year. When we mean "camping" this refers to Caravan Parks only, so something not too over the top is all were after. Just something to enjoy the family together in.
This means Aussie made Canvas is out of our price range, we are looking to spend about $3k on just the Camper Tent Top, already have the Trailer & full Drifta Kitchen setup.

So, just wondering if anybody has had any experience with these few Camper Trailer Tops?

Gordigear - http://www.gordigear.com/
Savannah 12ft tent. These guys really impress me, just take a look at the customer photos! Price is right, product looks really good and 24months warrantee which is unheard of!
About $2,500 inc Annex.

Austrack Camper Trailers - http://www.austrackcampers.com.au/
Austrack Adventurer 12" Not entirely sure about this mob, I've read a bit about them and heard of a few happy campers. Advice?
About $2,000 inc Annex.

Swag Camper Trailers - http://www.swagcampertrailers.com.au/
Also heard some good things about this company, anyone else confirm? The website is hopeless for detailed information.
$2,950

As we are a fair distance from any of these companies (1000km) it would be near impossible to fly or drive just for a look, so all your help is going to be greatly appreciated! (because of this distance we may have to get one freighted if we decide to buy, so factor in another $300-$400) Still leaning towards the Gordigear tent for some reason.

Are there any other decent ones in this price range?
Help  :D

Many Thanks

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 09:34:56 PM by kado »

Offline sandman

• Tent User
Re: Camper Trailer Tops?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2013, 10:15:39 PM »
I have a swag tent which I am really happy with. Also Jim who was the rep we dealt with was really helpful. I have no problems recommending them.

The gordigear tent I had a really good look over at the Toowoomba camping show and was really impressed with the quality of the tents and again they were really helpful. The only reason I didn't get on was the better half didn't like the colour.

Austrack stuff I can't comment on but I know there are a number of swaggers here that have them are are very happy with the tents.

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »
Hi Kado, I have a Swag camper trailer and am very happy with it. The tent is excellent quality and have had no problems with it at all. The company were very good to deal with and Jim was very friendly and helpful throughout the whole transaction.
At the time (two years ago) their prices were also competative. Hope this helps.

Cheers

Robbo

Offline BLKWDW

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2013, 09:28:33 AM »
i recently bought an austrack tent and couldnt be happier with it. I've got a 12ft off road one with a 1200mm drop to suit our trailer. Love it and would recommend to anyone and there customer service was top notch.

Good thing is they have to differennt size drops on there tents to suit just bout any trailer height so make sure the tent drop will fit your trailer.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2013, 09:29:43 AM »
I have dealt with this company, they are decent people and their tents are shipped from Sydney.

http://trailercampers.com/products/6004-grey-tent/

The tents look similar to the others your looking at.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline speedcomm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2013, 09:53:12 AM »
And to add more confusion... We have a Pinnacle top on our trailer, similar specs and price, been very happy with it, done lots of work over the last 3 or 4 years with no probs. Is Chinese, prob come out of the same factories !
2.8L Prado. Jayco Eagle OB.

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2013, 10:11:47 AM »
We liked our oztrail top alot better than our current Austrack,  all the tops/points came out of the poles on first set up and we have had to screw holes in our stronger camp poles to use those, there was a screw scewed up through the bed base which ripped the mattress cover, glad we found this before putting in new mattress took photos before cutting it off.  One of the eyelets has started to come loose on about second set up on the awning.  Contacted the place we bought the trailer they said as they no longer sell them have to contact Austrack who said we would have to post the awning to them in Qld if we wanted it looked at.  Other than a few small holes in fly screen never had anything on the Oztrail break and had it up in some pretty windy conditions.  We will keep the Austrack because it is there but would look at others if we were to buy again, the Austrack has holes in fly wire already too only had it out on about 3 trips.  I have read others on here that are happy with their's so this is just personal experience for us.

Offline baz1

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2013, 10:32:53 AM »
Hi
Advice please?

After a fair bit of research we have come down to a few Camper Trailer Tops to suit our 7 x 4 Camper Trailer. We are a young family of 4 with a 4 & 6 yr old who enjoys camping about 2-3 times per year. When we mean "camping" this refers to Caravan Parks only, so something not too over the top is all were after. Just something to enjoy the family together in.
This means Aussie made Canvas is out of our price range, we are looking to spend about $3k on just the Camper Tent Top, already have the Trailer & full Drifta Kitchen setup.

So, just wondering if anybody has had any experience with these few Camper Trailer Tops?

Gordigear - http://www.gordigear.com/
Savannah 12ft tent. These guys really impress me, just take a look at the customer photos! Price is right, product looks really good and 24months warrantee which is unheard of!
About $2,500 inc Annex.

Austrack Camper Trailers - http://www.austrackcampers.com.au/
Austrack Adventurer 12" Not entirely sure about this mob, I've read a bit about them and heard of a few happy campers. Advice?
About $2,000 inc Annex.

Swag Camper Trailers - http://www.swagcampertrailers.com.au/
Also heard some good things about this company, anyone else confirm? The website is hopeless for detailed information.
$2,950

As we are a fair distance from any of these companies (1000km) it would be near impossible to fly or drive just for a look, so all your help is going to be greatly appreciated! (because of this distance we may have to get one freighted if we decide to buy, so factor in another $300-$400) Still leaning towards the Gordigear tent for some reason.

Are there any other decent ones in this price range?
Help  :D

Many Thanks

Mate, check out : www.emucampers.com.au/portfolio/quick-erect-tent-for-trailer/

I have the same tent on my Emu trailer, it's a really nice tent, good quality and probably within your price range. It's a Chinese import tent made to Emu specs, give them a ring for a quote, I don't think you will be disappointed. Type in Emu Camper into YouTube and there are a few videos of the tent which give you a good idea what they are like and what you can expect.

Offline kado

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2013, 04:35:14 PM »
Thanks to all which have replied. Yes more confused  ???

Looks like I have a few more to research, although these few I listed are decent quality for the money by the sounds of it? More checks are still in order for the others suggested. Thanks.

Still very interested in the Gordigear Tent Top if anybody has had any experience with them, good or bad?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 05:51:51 PM by kado »

Offline kado

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 06:17:55 PM »
Mate, check out : www.emucampers.com.au/portfolio/quick-erect-tent-for-trailer/

I have the same tent on my Emu trailer, it's a really nice tent, good quality and probably within your price range. It's a Chinese import tent made to Emu specs, give them a ring for a quote, I don't think you will be disappointed. Type in Emu Camper into YouTube and there are a few videos of the tent which give you a good idea what they are like and what you can expect.

Thanks for that baz1, I received an email back from Emu with prices, $2.5k & 3.0k for the two different sized tent tops they sell, right in my ball park! Checked out the You Tube vid too and yes they look mighty impressive for the price.

Also still keen for somebody / anybody to post something of a review about Gordigear Trailer Tents. Cant believe they aren't more widely used for what looks to be fantastic value tent top. (or maybe there is a reason?). Need to know if I am to keep them in my "possible" camper top list?

Cheers

Offline Doug.b

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dislike keyboard Heroes
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 06:30:49 PM »
I have oztrail camper top and has been excellent.
My mate who goes camping with us has the austrack camper top and I can tell you that the oztrail goes up and packs up a lot easier than the austrack.

Hope this helps you.
2012 PAJERO VRX  - Adventure offroad camper  - Cape York 
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=35363.0

Offline 03hilux

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2013, 03:04:32 PM »
Not sure if you have settled on a new tent yet, but have a look at Aussie Jays campers in Melbourne. Jason builds a top notch product and he has service to match.

Offline BrindiCruiser

• Soft Floor Camper User
Camper Trailer Tops?
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 04:36:17 PM »
I have oztrail camper top and has been excellent.

Which oztrail do you have?
2010 Kia Sorrento, 2013 Outback Swan

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Camper Trailer Tops?
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2013, 06:46:38 AM »
Grab one of ours, a leisurematters top. Happy to offer a discounted price. Check out the pics on the website, any questions, request a call back and I can call you.

*mods, if you feel this is inappropriate, please delete and PM me.

Cheers

Sent from my iPad4 using Tapatalk
NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!

Offline Doug.b

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Dislike keyboard Heroes
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2013, 08:27:38 AM »
Which oztrail do you have?
I have the oztrail 12, it is about 5-6 years old (green & grey colour)

Doug

2012 PAJERO VRX  - Adventure offroad camper  - Cape York 
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=35363.0