Author Topic: Hi fellow campers  (Read 3358 times)

Offline Prydey

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Rob
Hi fellow campers
« on: August 10, 2016, 08:46:16 PM »
Just a quick intro.

I'm married with 2 daughters, 15 and 7, and have started our camping journey this year.  I'm not a camper trailer camper but in my browsing for helpful tips and ideas on various things, this site has often come up in the google searches and i've already found some useful info as a 'guest' so thought i'd join to access even more of the knowledge base shared by those who have trodden the well worn path i'm embarking on.

We camped (tent) for the first time over easter this year, down in the Naracoorte caves national park campground.  a great little spot walking distance to the caves (which are awesome).   this was our setup

long story short, we loved the experience, but while the tent is a top quality heavy duty canvas number, its quite a chore to put up and detracts from the whole experience both setting up and packing up.  i already owned that tent from about 15-20 years earlier and its spent the last 13 years or so in my shed, so its still in very good condition.   we bought a few things but also borrowed some as we werent sure how we were going to find the whole experience.

so now that we've decided that we enjoyed it, we've decided to spend up and buy a blackwolf turbo lite twin 300.  the main reason is we like to use the awning as an area to set up the kitchen area etc and the blackwolf turbo tents are the only ones on the market that we could find, that had that style of awning (pretty much the same as our cabin tent in the picture).  we also like a bit of size to hang out inside or just to keep stuff.  over time we may decide to downsize but for the time being, that's what we want.

we have our next trip booked for the october school holidays out at the base of the flinders rangers at a place called spear creek.  not a lot of info online but it was suggested to us by a friend and the little bit of info we did find, looked nice.

one of the things that brought be across this site a couple of times was info on painting a trailer.  i'm currently in the process of doing that, but am regretting the decision to use hammertone paint with a brush.  i've read quite a few reports that say it turns out ok with a brush, but not in my hands it didn't.  hopefully with some more browsing i'll find some more help and advice but at this stage i'm planning on sanding it all back and just using a straight gloss enamel.  i've done the inside with this and it looks a million bucks in comparison. 

for anyone interested, the tent pictured is for sale.  make an offer. 

thats enough of a rant for a new guy.  looking forward to reading all about places to stay and things to do in this great country of ours, as well as all the little tips and tricks learnt along the way.

thanks for reading.

Rob

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Hi fellow campers
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 05:19:56 AM »
G'day and welcome Rob.

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe
The following users thanked this post: Prydey

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 06:54:36 AM »
Welcome aboard Rob
I hope you enjoy your time here

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 08:31:40 AM »
G'day Rob and welcome to Myswag mate.  Good luck with the painting exercise. 
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback

KingBilly

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 01:25:07 PM »
Welcome to myswag

Happy camping
KB

Offline Prydey

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Rob
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2016, 10:31:59 AM »
Thanks for the welcome guys. 

trailer turned out ok in my opinion. 

before

after

still needs another coat but you get the idea. 

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2016, 08:23:44 PM »
Welcome Rob,

Have fun camping, once the trailer and the new tent comes along.

Rob
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline Prydey

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Rob
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2016, 08:57:22 PM »
thanks. 

bought the tent last friday, but weather hasn't been that great here in adelaide to test it in the back yard.  just need to sort out a gas burner (looking at coleman fyreknight) and ice box and some lighting solutions.  not easy when you want to buy reasonable quality but also have a small budget.  we will probably continue to borrow what we don't have until we can afford the right item, and just slowly build up the kit, rather than try to do it all in one go.