Author Topic: Telescopic ladders - any good?  (Read 4726 times)

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
Telescopic ladders - any good?
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:31:39 PM »
Was looking to add a custom ladder to my 4x4 canopy to access the roof rack. Then I thought about those telescopic ladders that caravanners and rooftop tenters use, much more versatile then.

Anyone use them with success?
Any brands worth recommending?
I’m 105kg, I’ve seen ratings of 150kg, are they actually going to last or are they flimsy?

Something like this:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-2-6-3-2-3-8-M-Telescope-Telescopic-Aluminium-Ladder-Safe-150KG-New-AU-/171336165474?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline kizza1

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Telescopic ladders - any good?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 06:02:38 AM »
My old man bought me one exactly like that almost 10 years ago. I was sceptical at first but it has actually been a good thing. I thought the clips that lock it in when extended would fail but they haven't yet. I've used it maybe 20 times over the years. The only thing I've found is it cant be used partly extended. It's either all or nothing.

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 06:34:21 AM »
We’ve got one. Use it on the Defender to get into the rooftop tent. Ours can be partially extended. We got it from Kogan

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/certa-38m-telescopic-ladder/?utm_campaign=postsale_delivered&utm_source=kogan&utm_medium=email

Cheers

Offline kizza1

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 06:59:29 AM »

On closer inspection mines slightly different it has two locking rings under the bottom rung. So maybe go for the type you put up as it sounds like it can be partly extended.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 08:52:19 AM »
Can you actually see yourself really using it elsewhere is my only question?....i have a ladder mounted to the rear of my canopy, t's there all the time and I just fold it open when I need it and close it up when i get down, no having to get it out from where ever it's stored and set it it up and pack it away every time I want to get on the roof rack. Yes it might be a small thing as far as set up goes, but I hate looking for stuff and getting it out packing it away....just my 2 cents.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 01:37:36 PM »
I was thinking of mounting some upsidedown hooks to the roofrack hooking the ladder on. When traveling I just strap it against the canopy, when I need to climb I just unstrap it and pull it down.

The only reason for being removable is to access the top of my Jayco Dove if needed. Even when packed the roof is approx 1.9m high so I can barely clean the solar panels haha! A couple of times in the past I have had to lower the roof down to unhook the awning/bed ends or reattach the awing legs in bad weather, not really a major issue though.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 02:05:10 PM »
I was thinking of mounting some upsidedown hooks to the roofrack hooking the ladder on. When traveling I just strap it against the canopy, when I need to climb I just unstrap it and pull it down.

You mean while it's still hanging off the rack hooks ???

Probably won't work, sorry :'(

I had a telescopic step-ladder, & that had to be extended upwards - you couldn't hold the top & pull the legs down.
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 10:22:44 PM »
To end the thread, I went the way of Rumpig, got a ladder made for the rear of the canopy.

2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC