Author Topic: Timely Reminder About Fires  (Read 2525 times)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Timely Reminder About Fires
« on: April 07, 2019, 01:21:27 PM »
Saw this article and with the school holidays and Easter, thought it was a good reminder to be careful around campfires. I read somewhere on here once about implementing a "you walk around the back of the chairs not in between them and the fire" rule once, that I have since used with my kids, hopefully, minimises the chances of an accident.

http://www.mygc.com.au/toddler-critical-after-falling-into-fire-pit/?fbclid=IwAR3ziz8rw4PdL0tEEejZuv5CfhidA-jvcRoSSbRiyQYLCl55PqkmHpuZuCc

Hope for a speedy recovery for them all. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 03:31:41 PM by tryagain »
The following users thanked this post: GBC

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Timely Reminder About Fires
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 02:18:25 PM »
Hi,
    Yep, standing family orders.
Transgress, and it is time out.

Similar to walking close to food near the ground, running near guy ropes, waving sticks around, and a host of others.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2019, 03:28:03 PM »
I read somewhere on here once about implementing a "you walk around the back of the chairs not in between them and the fire" rule
we operate by the same rule... I cringe any time we camp with others that don't have the same rule for thier kids, could think of nothing worse then one of them ending up in a fire, especially after seeing the results of a female friend that ended up going backwards into a fire drum at a party one night. Thankfully for our friend, myself and her boyfriend grabbed her as she was falling in backwards, but the burns on her hands where she grabbed the drum on the way in aswell as her back where it hit the drum also weren't nice.....and she was only in the drum literally for a split second before we yanked her out.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 09:36:49 AM »
Saw this article

Very sad :'(

Wonder what the couple were doing to both fall at the same time ???
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 03:26:55 PM »
I arrange quiet a few Father/Kids camping trips with the school Dad's and before each trip I send an email asking all the Father to talk with there kids about fire safety, but each trip I still have to be that mean person and discipline other parents kids for being silly around the fire. Worst part is that kids parents in normally watching there child being silly around fire. They thank me, but end of the day they could have stepped in  >:D

To date we have only had minor burns, but some kids have been very lucky to have received 3rd degree burns.   

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 09:34:35 PM »
Very sad :'(

Wonder what the couple were doing to both fall at the same time ???

I might be wrong but two adults at 1:30 am,  I wouldn't be surprised to hear that alcohol was a contributing factor.

Offline cassgazz

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2019, 06:02:36 PM »
The other thing to keep in mind in regards to camp fires, is putting them out with WATER prior to leaving the site.

We were setting up camp at McKillops Bridge 10 years ago, when our daughter, only 14 months old at the time, got severely burnt. She required debridement on the hands, full thickness & partial thickness skin grafts to her hands, and some dressing to her legs. There was talk of amputating a finger at one stage, but luckily that did not have to occur.

We had pulled up at the camp site, which looked like it hadn't been used in ages. She was walking next to what appeared to be an old fire pit, while we were unloading the roof racks. She tripped over, and her hands went through the surface of the top layer of the fire pit, which was when my wife saw sparks fly up, and saw the look on the daughters face.
She ended up requiring the Helimed from the Bush Nurse in Gelantipy, all the way to the Royal Childrens Hospital.

Rather than getting water from the river, the previous campers had just covered the fire pit with dirt / sand. It was cold to touch, but still red hot beneath the surface.

Speaking with the burns surgeons & nurses, they were saying how the Easter break is the worst time of year for camp fire & wood heater burns.

Take care everyone. Look after yourselves, your kids, and your fires.

The following users thanked this post: tryagain

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2019, 09:49:00 AM »
You do have to wonder about some people ???

We were camping a little while back, & the people just over there packed up & left, but left their fire still actually burning!  :o

It was on a sandy site, so no real chance of it spreading but seriously wtf ???

Maybe they thought they were leaving a nice welcome for the next person to pull up to ???

We, & people from another site, went over to put it out & actually got a bonus for our effort - they'd left a supply of firewood still there as well! ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 08:40:30 AM »
ln Vic the fire restriction are to remain in place till mid May  . There is a lot of very dry fuel that could really go hard if it starts .
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust