Author Topic: Potential new CT owner  (Read 2676 times)

Isitangus

Potential new CT owner
« on: April 21, 2013, 04:12:34 PM »
Hi forumers, hoping to heed some advice from more seasoned non sales people.
I'm looking to get into A CT with my wife and two youngens.
My budget is limited to approx $5k so am looking at the following:
Toptrail outback star:
Market direct camper V3
Skamper camper ranger

Personally from what little I know the top trail looks to have the most value for money and gear. (Power pack, lockable sides, water tank, annexes etc)
Now I know they are Chinese imported built here. I'm not doing any cape York trips-mainly state parks, caravan parks and easy access (no 4wd) but would like a trailer that could handle the occasional good condition dirt track.

Keen to hear people good bad & ugly and recommendations.
Cheers
Angus

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: Potential new CT owner
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 04:22:10 PM »
Do you need to buy new?

Here's a great Aussie made camper for sale http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=29276
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

KingBilly

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Oh boy, decisions, decisions.  My first bit of advice would be to go and have a look at, over, under and everywhere you can, at your possible choices.  I would not be parting with my hard earned without giving them a really good going over.  Then when you find one you like, ask if you can have that particular CT.  I've heard a few stories where the showroom model has been tweaked to look mickey mouse and the actual CT delivered has more than a few issues.

Also don't expect to get a Rolls Royce CT for a Great Wall price.  You will have to make some concessions.  Be prepared to fix a few things and treat it kindly.  An imported CT will not take the punishment that a good off-road locally made CT will.  But having said that there are heaps of folks on here who are more than happy with their imported CT and I am sure it will do everything you have planned for it.

My only other comment would be the size of the tent and annex.  Wow, the Toptrail is huge.  Bear in mind our 12' tent (18' overall) has just fitted on some CP sites.  Free camping is another matter and the size will not be an issue.

Good luck and look forward to seeing what you get.

Happy camping
KB

Isitangus

Potential new CT owner
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2013, 04:29:42 PM »
No absolute need to buy new. Sorry I should mention I am in southern Sydney.

Thanks KB had a look through the skamper kamper and MDC today and thought both were good. I do understand ill get what I pay for but to be honest I'm not looking to dive into the deep end and buy a rolls. I figure if we enjoy the "great wall" then we can upgrade in the future.
I need to get in front of the toptrail CT to have a look. I have read here of people doing mods on their new CT but nothing to major that I couldn't cope with.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 04:33:34 PM by Isitangus »

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 07:20:22 PM »
Try a search on Gumtree in the Sydney area. Chances are for $5k you will find something second hand that has already been modified. Good luck

Offline Loz

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 08:00:54 PM »
I entered the CT world with $3400 with the purchase of my Dingo - and lovin it!!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:58:02 PM by Loz »

“Energy and persistence conquer all things."

Offline britts

• Soft Floor Camper User
Potential new CT owner
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2013, 08:13:38 AM »
5k will get you plenty of camper in the 2nd hand market, my first CT was a $1600 hard floor that came with an engel fridge, all my mate joke that I bought the fridge and got the camper thrown in, sold the camper 12 months later and kept the fridge and still made a profit. Look long and hard and don't be scared to make an offer.