Author Topic: Hi from Perth  (Read 2435 times)

Offline mozza68

• Learning the Ropes
Hi from Perth
« on: March 17, 2013, 06:41:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

First I want to give a big thanks for all the fantastic information you share on this great forum.  You are such a generous bunch with so much detail and assistance.   :cup:
This really helped with the decision on which way to go and all the tinkering I have ahead of me… ;D ;D

My wife and I live in Perth with 2 girls (9, 4) and a boy (2), so our camper has to fit well for a growing young family.

Our decision was a compromise between wants, needs and justifying the purchase price.  I usually get in strife for doing too much research.  It’s a boy thing wanting value for money and knowing it’s a good product I guess. ???

Loving to tinker and build, I was so close to building our camper; however I work away and always have a list a mile long each time I get home to sort let alone complete a camper build.  I know half the adventure is building the camper; I just decided it was better to get the family out enjoying this fantastic country we live in.  Working in India really makes me appreciate living in Oz so much more.  We have opportunities some people couldn’t even dream about.

Unsure of how far off the beaten track we’ll adventure in the next few years we decided on a Cavalier semi off-road camper on Gumtree.  We found this well priced trailer in South Australia.  Even with the very expensive transport costs, it seemed good enough value to go through the drama’s of purchasing in blind faith.  Similar campers in Perth were so much more.  The sellers were so great to deal with we couldn’t have been happier with the process.  The camper had been used 6 times and the detailed photos seemed to show this. :cheers:

Our camper arrived home without drama one week after I left for work.   :-[ :-[ So I’m sitting offshore very frustrated having never laid eyes on our new baby.

I get home after 5 weeks away and our first trip is 2 days later, heading to Dunsborough for Easter.  ;D Hope the packing list comes through, thank you swaggers for that one too!  :cup:  Guess the first time we put her up will be at the caravan park, hope we don't embarrass ourselves :D

Specs are:
2010 14ft Semi off-road Cavalier camper
New style full annex
14ft Solar blanket
Pullout Drifta kitchen with return and pull out storage boxes
Large toolbox on the front
Hydraulic brakes
6 leaf springs
Inner spring QS bed with gas lift struts

:worthles:

Sorry about no photos, I have plenty but none are mine and most have people in them.  Promise some from our first trip if we survive.  It’s only a caravan park trip to ease the family into our new adventures.  Sorry if I rambled too much, I guess I got carried away. ;D ;D
2010 14 ft Cavalier Semi off-roader

You are getting old when you enjoy remembering things more than doing them!

KingBilly

Re: Hi from Perth
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 06:50:00 PM »
Firstly welcome to the tribe Mozza and secondly congratulations on the Cavalier purchase.  A 14 footer will give you plenty of room for your kids and you'll love the Drifta kitchen.  Good luck with any mods and I look forward to reading of your adventures.

Happy camping
KB

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 07:30:41 PM »
Hi and welcome to My Swag

:cheers: Brett
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Hi from Perth
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 07:33:04 PM »
G'day & Welcome, and congrats on your new camper.

Lots of members in WA, I'm even coming over from Sydney for the camping show this weekend.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 08:03:31 PM »
Welcome,

Hope your new CT brings lots of camping memory's!!

Another family getting out in the great outdoors!!

:cheers:

Strvy
Cheers

Strvy

Offline Rob C

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • North Coast Campers
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 08:55:30 PM »
Welcome to Myswag,
Hope you enjoy your new camper,
It only gets better !!!!

Rob C
Nissan Patrol Y62-2023 & North Coast Camper XLT

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 09:53:59 PM »
Hi mozza68,

There is no such thing as rambling too much on here, the only thing we like more than information is pics and you will be held to your promise  ;D

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline mozza68

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 01:43:54 PM »
Thanks for the warm welcome. :D

We promise some photos after I get to see and use our new toy.

Can anyone offer an opinion on a fridge please?  I'm not in a hurry but found a 60 lt Engel that seems very good value.  Been told a 40 lt is a bit small for our family of 5.  Would this be right?  It's not the partitioned model.

Cheers Mozza ;D

KingBilly

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 02:00:21 PM »
We have a 60l Evakool fridge/freezer but generally only use it as a fridge.  We are a family of 4 with a 14yo boy and 18yo girl.  This size is good for us but doesn't allow room for drinks.  We have been using an esky for drinks but are sick of buying ice.  Have now got a small Engel for drinks but are yet to use it (hopefully at Easter).

Where do you plan to carry your fridge?  If in the CT tub, just make sure whatever you buy fits.  The struts for the bed base may also get in the way.  The Engels are a bit higher than the Evakool's.

KB

Offline mozza68

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 02:41:02 PM »
Thanks KB for your input.  I was thinking we'd put the Engel in the back of the car when travelling and relocate it when setup for more than a day or so.  No idea really as I'm sure it's going to be a steep learning curve for what works for us.

Everything I've read and been told about Engels seems good.  Think I'll try and buy this one.  From what you say it's not going to be too big at least.  May need a second one and a bigger car buy the sounds. ;D