Author Topic: new to camper trailers help  (Read 6755 times)

Offline varanus4x4

• Learning the Ropes
new to camper trailers help
« on: April 01, 2011, 08:26:07 AM »
hi all we (the wife and baby girl) are looking at getting a camper trailer we are going to cape york next year so it has to be offroad and very durable we live on the sunshine coast in queensland and have no idea what brand to even start looking at we will have about 10k to spend and just need to figre out what brand we want and start looking for them as it would be nice to get second hand and save a few $ for the boat i am buying soon to hehe

Offline lachjake

• Swag User
Re: new to camper trailers help
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 08:29:09 AM »
Welcome......
 Check out Lifestyle camper trailers, great set up for 10k. Also TRACKABOUT CAMPERS, little bit more but a great rig also.
 :cheers:

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 08:30:32 AM »
Welcome to myswag, checkout Trackabout or even the forsale section here
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Reelaxin

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »
Another vote for the Trackabout. You should be able to find a good second hand one in your price range.

Cheers.

Reelaxin.

Offline earle

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 08:43:37 AM »
Even if you're looking for 2nd hand I suggest you go to the big camping and outdoor show at the Brisbane exhibition grounds in June. A visit there will let you compare heaps of new models virtually side-by-side and will really educate you in features, prices and help you figure out what you like. I travelled down from the Whitsundays to the smaller pre Xmas show they have in October and it was well worth the trip. After having done some research on the internet on manufacturers site and forums like this I quickly narrowed the field to three makes once I was at the show, Lifestyle, Jimboomba and Customline. All three are very good and each had features that stood out. I then went back and forth between the three looking at the smaller details and finally decided Customline was what suited me best. There are quite a few good makes out there, it comes down to deciding what you want in a camper and choosing the one that best meets that within your budget. Get ready for information overload.

Good luck

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 09:15:57 AM »
Welcome to the forum, I think you are a bit spoilt for choice up that way, check out the campers which have been mentioned. I think JT has a bargain trackabout for sale at the moment. Dont forget the classifieds section as it has some great set up bargains available.

GG

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 09:19:38 AM »
Earle's suggestion is a very good one. Different people have different criteria on which they base their decision. There is one thing most people on here I think would agree though on though and that is to stick with quality aussie canvas. High on my list was ease of set up. If you go to a show and like a camper, ask them to display it being set up, even if it is only to the bedroom section. You will then get a good idea of what is like to set up. If they don't want to then perhaps it is too difficult or time consuming. A lot of people say their campers set up in x minutes but when push comes to shove they don't.
I short listed between a cameron canvas concept which IMHO has a brilliant tent set up and just sooo quick, and the Johnnos Light off road deluxe, which is what we eventually purchased. Once the trailer is level and legs are down etc I can set up the main bedroom by myself for an overnight stay in around 5 minutes. My wife was swayed by the tailgate kitchen, not being a fan of the timber versions. It has a 4 burner, plumbed gas stove and sink + 65 Litre underbody water tank. I guess what I am saying is make a list of criteria that are must haves, and a wish list. Possibly even hire a camper for a weekend to get a feel for it.

Offline varanus4x4

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 03:31:12 PM »
i just had a look at some jimboomba trialers i like the look of them and they are about and hour drive away to the shop and i am going to the expo just trying to get some brands to check out but cant wait going to be awsome

Offline FZJ

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 03:45:08 PM »
Have a look at the camels as well, really well built.
I dont mind going to work, its the 8 hours  i have to wait to go home again that annoys me.

Camel bushman....

Offline earle

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 05:02:16 PM »
Jimboomba looked really god to me as well. In the end there were a few things that won me over to another make.
 - There were better tropical roof designs.
 - The position of the door at the end of the tent meant you had to walk past the kids beds compared to a door nearer the trailer.   They probably could move it though.
 - The annex, as well as having a row of pole at the edge, also has poles against the main tent. Others have an eyelet that comes through the canvas from the bows which you attach a ridge bar to. This seems a more sturdy set up IMO.
 - There are various schools of thought as to whether cold form bending the rails of the trailer weakens them. I don't really know.

The above comments are not intended to be Jimboomba trailers bashing at all. Rather I am just trying to give examples of some of the finer points to look at when comparing makes.

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 07:04:00 PM »
I definitely agree with the show is Brisneyland for a good overall view of all things camper trailer. This is how we toured many manufacturers in a short space of time.
The one thing i would suggest though is don't make a decision on the day no matter how good the show specials are. Chances are if they are good guys they will still offer the show specials for a limited time after the show has finished anyway.
Go home have a good think and compare brochures etc etc. Sleep on it, imagine yourself camping and what you will REALLY use. Some bells and whistles just add time until you can enjoy the camping experience.

The other thing is try not to judge the guys too much at the show. My wife and i saw sooo many tyre kickers getting manufacturers to open and close trailers and tents just because they wanted to have a look. I suggest have a close look and feel but once the show is over and you have a short list of what you liked the look of, visit the showrooms and talk to them one on one. Then you will get to know the real personalities behind the CT's.
I tried to talk to the manufacturer of our trailer twice at last years show but he was soo busy we didn't talk to him at all.
We then short listed our favorites, went to the showrooms and wallah, made the best decision with as much information as possible. We couldn't be happier!!!

Oh and don't trust the guys who think a good quality trailer is all about the thickness of the steel it is made of, even if they do have a well known dinosaur spruking their product  ;D
Good luck and enjoy the experience!!!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2011, 07:05:36 PM by Humbolt »

Offline Strider

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2011, 07:35:37 PM »
+1 for the Camels. Brisbane company as well. You will get a good second hand one in your price range, I did ;D

Cheers
Alan

Offline earle

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 09:00:08 AM »
The one thing i would suggest though is don't make a decision on the day no matter how good the show specials are. Chances are if they are good guys they will still offer the show specials for a limited time after the show has finished anyway.
This was one thing I found dissappointing at the Brisbane show. I had travelled down from the Whitsundays on the Friday evening just for the show and had to fly back on the Saturday evening. I wasn't going to make a decision until I had time to think and discuss with my wife. Even when I explained this to one of the guys who had made my shortlist they were not willing to hold over the show special for me even for a couple of days. I figure if you've got a good product you don't need high pressure sales tactics.

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2011, 04:25:43 PM »
Too true that. We went to the Newcastle show and already having a camper for a few years, knew pretty much what we were looking for. I could walk into a tent set up and tell in a couple of seconds whether it was going to be of interest or not. Some of the dealers are bound by the factory for the deals, but in all honesty if they can offer it at the show then they can offer it a couple of days later. I know that the Johnnos dealers were able to.

Offline varanus4x4

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »
well the expo was how do i say Shit for camper trailers there were only 4 trailer companies there custom line , gic, some super no name brand and then there was camel now they had some nice looking trailers when i walked to the section there was no body around looking at their trailers they were just standing there doing f all i was walking around inside and out geting under the trailers and none of them even came over to ask if i wanted any help (i am only 24 and have a few tattoos) wouldnt even look in my direction wich made me laugh so me and my brother walked off ...... later that day we came back again they had nobody there, we were walking in and out of the trailers and again they ignored us (at the time i had 30k in my pocket as i sold my v8 just before i went and was on the market for a trailer) so we started walking away my wife and her father were just behind us and they looked at me said nothing and asked my father in law if they could help him with anything at this tim i started laughing really hard and told the guy he was a f ing idiot for judgeing a book by its cover, that i was on the market with cash and walked off so any company that runs themselves like that i want nothing to do with any ways i am going to jimboomba trailers in the morning to have a look at the products and fingers crossed they are good and i will order one but i ended my day well ordering pretty much every toy you can for my 4x4, i will post pics on another forum once everything is complete and our first trip is in may so hope we get the camper before then 

Offline two+four

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 09:59:49 PM »
very interesting story, unfortunately customer service is not always what it used to be
2008 V6 GXL Prado slightly modified. WA made Tuart Camper

Offline AJC2

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 12:33:51 AM »
Outback Campers are good basic kit (from personal experience); anyone who has had a Tambo loves them as well.

My 2 cents worth - stay away from cheapies (eBay brands etc) and stick to a reputable mid range Australian in house manufacturers of camper trailers (or a second version of same). Their trailers are well engineered and designed as are their tents, and it all comes together well.

That way you will avoid cheap Chinese trailers and tents with heavy duty quality canvas assembled here (and not engineered for the outback / offroad trips in the main). Also, try avoid a local box trailer builder (who may well do a good trailer) who has added a tent from elsewhere (off the rack type camper tops mainly from China again or a local canvas manufacturer) as they often don't sit together well.

Finally, there are some mass production players in the market so you seem to get alot for the price but there is plenty of comment about quality control on various forums. Personally, for the same money ie, $7 - $10k I'd go for a second hand one of the more bespoke local manufacturers ($mid to high teens new) over the mass produced / price point model which will be new at $7 - $10k.
Disco 4 TDV6 and nothing to tow... but looking!

Offline Ruffstuff

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2011, 09:39:48 AM »
I would definitely recommend hiring a couple first, as a long time camper i thought i knew exactly what i wanted In a Camper and after going to numerous shows i had selected the one i thought best suited my needs and was adamant that was what i wanted.... until i hired it and found what a pain in the butt it was to set up as well as few other issues that simply didn't suit the way we camp.. Hire a few first.. make a list of your likes & dislikes as you go, even if you only have it for a weekend, pull it down & set it up a couple of times to give you the best idea of how it all works. They are all really nice to walk into at the shows but often you don't get to see or experience how they are set up.
Warning: This Post May Contain Traces of Nuts!!! :)

80 series Landcruiser, DTS Turbo, Cross Country Intercooler,  3"exhaust, 33" BFG MT, locked, Lifted & gadgetised
2005 Trak Shak

Offline varanus4x4

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 04:40:38 PM »
just got back from jimboomba ct they have a very nice camper with 98% of the extras i want it came to $10300 now i am doing the whole do i get that or get a second hand trailer of another well know brand (ie trackabout)  so hard to choose as i could save a few thousand going second hand but there arent any close to my location to look at there is a track about 4 hours away (one way) but i dont want to drive that far and be like this thing is Shit and leave empty handed

Offline AJC2

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »
If you like the Jim....and its convenient, go for it...really, the difference between decent brands is nominal..its really Commodore v Falcon / VB v Tooheys sort of stuff - enough to keep the boguns arguing >:( but the reality is it all does the same.

Don't over-analyse and stay happy!! :D
Disco 4 TDV6 and nothing to tow... but looking!

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 09:45:42 PM »
By expo do you mean the one last weekend at the RNA.That unfortunately was not the Caravan and Camping expo but the 4x4 and Tinnie show. Big difference.
Customer service is a big selling point. I was amazed at the amount of 'stands' where no one would even say hello.
I remember one guy at a well known brand come up and say how are you? I replied with good how are you? He said can't wait to get out of here and have a beer......my god do you know what you are here for??
I ended up with a manufacturer that i still to this day have seen a bad word said about them. Reputation and customer service are what make you feel comfortable and then if the trailer is good, it is win all round.
Keep looking you will find exactly what you want and i do agree that you should look at hiring first. There are quite a few configurations out there.
Best of luck!!!

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 09:51:07 PM »
i really recommend you check out a trackabout...i dont know whats better the ct or the service you get from johny trackabout and his crew  :cup:

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab

Offline Johnno convert

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »
Yes have a crack at hiring a camper or two that you like for the weekend. Let them know why you are hiring it too. The biggest downer with our first camper was the time it took to set up. In my books it just has to be quick and simple, especially if you are looking at quick overnighters. If you hire one or two for the weekend, take plenty of photos of the set up inside and out. Time how long it takes you to set it up. Importantly take some notes (remember the note book) on what you like and dislike and what you may add delete or change. Did I mention take photos?? Then when you get home you can sit back and talk about it and look at the pics and notes and make a more balanced, educated, non emotional or pressurised decision.....then go haggle ;D ;D ;D

Offline varanus4x4

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2011, 02:32:15 PM »
ok deposite down on my new jimboomba ct now the wait ahhhhhhh cant wait got the maddison offroad with tent upgrade large toolbox gonna be awesome but have to wait till june

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2011, 07:34:31 PM »
Gday and welcome to My Swag :cheers:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback