Author Topic: Myswaggers that ride dirt bikes  (Read 23269 times)

Offline watto11

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Watsonfamilycamping/165262510248075
Myswaggers that ride dirt bikes
« on: October 01, 2011, 12:45:55 PM »
Hey guys just curious how many myswaggers out there ride dirtbike out there and if many base there camping around areas to ride in especially qld.

I ride or try to ride a drz400 which I brought of my bro in law about 6months ago it was a few yrs between bikes for me and am really happy to be back behind the bars it's a great way to just zone out of everyday life for a few hours my boys r 5 1/2 and nearly 4 I have a peewee 50 which my eldest is learning to ride at the moment I made a rack on the drawbar of our camper to take my bike and no doubt will have to find ways of loading more as kids get older
Cheers watto

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Myswaggers that ride dirt bikes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 01:40:09 PM »
Hey guys just curious how many myswaggers out there ride dirtbike out there and if many base there camping around areas to ride in especially qld.

I ride or try to ride a drz400 which I brought of my bro in law about 6months ago it was a few yrs between bikes for me and am really happy to be back behind the bars it's a great way to just zone out of everyday life for a few hours my boys r 5 1/2 and nearly 4 I have a peewee 50 which my eldest is learning to ride at the moment I made a rack on the drawbar of our camper to take my bike and no doubt will have to find ways of loading more as kids get older
Cheers watto

I have been dirt bike less for the last few years.
I'm on the look out at the moment for a new bike and getting back into it.
A lot of my mates are wanting to do the same thing.
The thought of camping with dirt bikes hadn't crossed my mind, but it sounds like a great idea and it will help in convincing SWMBO that I should get a bike. :cup:
I have recently riden a KTM530exc and a Honda Crf450x, bloody hell these things GO.
What do you think of your DRZ?
Great to see your kids are getting into it.
 :cheers:
Glenn

« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 01:42:44 PM by Swogjb »

Toyata Landcruiser TD 200 GXL
Trackabout Safari SV Extenda

Offline watto11

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »
Hey glen

The drz isn't quite in the same class as the ktm or the crf lol
However they r a fantastic bike extremely reliable and offer smooth even power with plenty of touque they r a bike that u could ride to work during the week or for a few hundred km's through the bush unlike the more high preformance 450 which r awesome put require so much maintenance I can't justify the extra expense my drz is a 2001 model which my bro in law has looked after really well it's only ever had oil changes and runs like new I've seen them with over 15,000km's and still no need to rebuild which is great for someone that's looking for a good bike to ride through bush and tracks the drz is a great option and I'd recommend to anyone especially since u can pick something up for under $5k for a late model bike that's near on brand new
Anyway that's enough of my drz bashing lol I wish I owned a ktm 450 or something but my budget doesn't allow those sort of toys so I'll enjoy every minute of my drz and savour each ride just enjoying life
Cheers

Racer

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »
Currently on a Husqvarna TE449....

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 04:09:55 PM »
I bought a DRZ new back in late 2000. Stripped it right down of ADR gear and club raced it with a bit of sucess. Sold it about 5 years ago to buy a different toy but am thinking of selling that and buying a 2012 KTM 450. Might pick up a set of motard wheels and tyres for a bit of tarmac fun during the week and then hit the trails on weekends :cup:

My old DRZ

Offline swanny

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lets go Camping......!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 04:26:14 PM »
Love the Dirt biking fullllll stop. Here a pic of a recent camping trip with a few mates, and our bikes, rode all thru the High Country in Vic for a week great trip. ( photo is at a hut on the Snowy River, over near a place called Seldom Scene, for all the Mexicans out there)

Race these things every year in a couple of events, all desert/enduro stuff. As u will prob see, all big bikes, and set up for long haul racing.

Cheers Swanny.

Offline watto11

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 05:22:17 PM »
I bought a DRZ new back in late 2000. Stripped it right down of ADR gear and club raced it with a bit of sucess. Sold it about 5 years ago to buy a different toy but am thinking of selling that and buying a 2012 KTM 450. Might pick up a set of motard wheels and tyres for a bit of tarmac fun during the week and then hit the trails on weekends :cup:

My old DRZ

That's a awesome looking drz mds69 u must of really enjoyed riding that looks great I fitted mpe suspension to mine plus pro taper bars to lift ride position a bit I'm really happy with it plan on keeping it for a few yrs thinking I'd like to try modding it after trailer is finished of course

Offline watto11

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 05:24:42 PM »
Looks like a fun punch of bikes swanny bet there's some great riding in Vic and nsw I'm trying to find a few places in qld that suit riding and family camping as I have to keep wife happy first so I'm aloud to play

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • SMOKE IN YOUR EYES, NOW THAT'S CAMPING.
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 07:09:24 PM »
Cruza Driver rides an XR 400 a few times a month  ;D
IF YOU SEE US OUT AND ABOUT COME AND SAY G'DAY!

FOLLOW ME ON
https://www.instagram.com/offroad_touring/

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 07:31:45 PM »
Cruza Driver rides an XR 400 a few times a month  ;D
you can buy mine off me, that would blow out the cops when they pull you pair up for license checks :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

pacs

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 07:35:05 PM »
Used to do a lot on the farm and did a great trip up the high country with local bike shop a few years back just after the twins wa born and smashed some ribs then SWMBO asked me to tame it down only done a little over the past few years hence the old XR in the 4sale section of the forum but now the kids are almost five and have been given 2x pwee 50's I may have to rethink this :)

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-36.714756,144.302374

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: My Swaggers that ride dirt bikes
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 07:46:04 PM »
you can buy mine off me, that would blow out the cops when they pull you pair up for license checks :D
Cruza is full reg and licensed no need to out run to cops  8)

He even organizes top High Country rides!

FOLLOW ME ON

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 07:48:36 PM »
Cruza is full reg and licensed no need to out run to cops  8)

He even organizes top High Country rides!
full reg is too rich for somethin ya ride twice a year...

I used to run top mx/enduro/road race meetings back in the day :D
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GU Rich

• "RED DUST BOUND"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 07:49:29 PM »
full reg is too rich for somethin ya ride twice a year...

I used to run top mx/enduro/road race meetings back in the day :D
Not if you want to ride into Jamieson and refuel!

FOLLOW ME ON

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2011, 08:48:02 PM »
450EXC here, used to be right into it! Now just single track snotty black loamed goat tracks gets me emotional, I leave the wide open stuff for the heroes.

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2011, 09:20:59 PM »
Used to ride an old XL500 widowmaker years ago chasing wildlife 2up with a shottie. Was a lot of fun though not PC I guess. Used to ride RD350, GS750 & GS1100G roadbikes too. Not sure I could lift the leg over some of the new chookchasers without a ladder and oxygen mask. Might have to leave them for the young fellas, the old arthuritus claims another one.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 10:26:37 PM »
We like our dirt bikes  :D

Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Cloud Basher

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Wheelin' the 3rd best thing sitting down!
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 05:44:16 AM »
Well some of you may remember my questions from last year about Quad bikes, motorbikes, small kids etc.  Well here are a few pics of the whole CB family out having fun last year at out first ride together as a family at Pacific Park.  Absolute ball of a day and the start of many rides together as a family.  My kids love it (now 7 and 6) and they took to it like a duck to water.  They could pushbikes before this and our next door neighbor lent us an electric scooter with a twist grip hand throttle that taught them how to use it to govern speed before Santa brought them a bike each for Christmas last year.  Looking forward to getting home and doing heaps more riding.

I did hear about a funkhana event somewhere over near Richmond or Windsor that used to happen every second weekend for the littleuns.  Does anyone know if this still occurs and if so any contact people or a website?  I have tried numerous different searches on google and not come up with anything.  Failing that is there any motorcross clubs for brand newbies to the sport out Penrith way that teaches kids confidence and how to ride properly?  Any info very much appreciated.

The eldest tearing up the novice track!

The girls in all their kit

The youngest getting faster and faster

Mum on her TTR 125

Mum waiting for the kids

CB on his first ride on his 2005 XR400.  Nice bike, starts second kick every time and is well and truely more than enough bike for my extreme novice standard.  But had some good rides at Lithgow, Lake Lyell, Pacific Park and Louee.  Got to get back and get my P's on the bike.  Interesting being old and having L's then P plates again. But in my case, most assuredly deserved.

Cheers
CB
2017 200 Series Landcruiser as of 16/8/17
Custom made camping trailer; "The Slug"

Offline darrenh

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 08:06:33 AM »
Every month on the bike
Look at the back of my junko
2006 100 series sahara
2008  Jayco flamingo outback

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2011, 08:27:28 AM »
Every month on the bike
Look at the back of my junk

Hi Darren,
Don't suppose you'd have any close up pics of your motorbike rack.
Brilliant idea, first Jayco hat I have seen with this mod. :cup:
Did you make it yourself?
Did the rear bar have to be strengthened up at all?
Glenn

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2011, 08:32:04 AM »
Currently on a Husqvarna TE449....

Gday Racer,
What do you think of the Husky, some real good deals around at the moment on both the TE449 and the TE511.
How do you find the fuel injection and the under seat fuel tank?
The new Husqvarnas sure do look sexy.
Glenn

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2011, 08:44:44 AM »
2000 YamahaTTR-250 with only 3200km on the clock. 
Although its sat untouched in the shed for the last 2 1/2 years with either a carby or top end problem.  Carbies now rebuilt, so I'll stick it back in next week to find out if the head has to come off!
3 of my close mates have just bought bikes again, so the pressures on to fix.

Racer

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2011, 09:33:02 AM »
Gday Racer,
What do you think of the Husky, some real good deals around at the moment on both the TE449 and the TE511.
How do you find the fuel injection and the under seat fuel tank?
The new Husqvarnas sure do look sexy.
Glenn

Hey Glenn

Yes mate, I love it...the fuel injection is fine and the tank cap is pretty well protected (ie no mud sliding in). The centre of gravity feels so low yet there is plenty of clearance. I've done a couple of rides with mates (FE5570, 450exc, etc) and where they have cased out I just seem to scrape through. The suspension is quite good for the heavier riders, I am 6ft4 100kgs and all I needed to do was wind it up a bit...

Husqvarna has done a good thing with these 449/511's since being taken over by BMW. As you have probably heard they are based on the BMW G450x however well improved on this. For the price they are going for ride away, you would be mad to even consider a Blue, Green, Red or Yellow prehistoric machine....

I went from an WR450F to a 300EXC...and never looked back to the Jap bikes....

Offline Swogjb

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2011, 12:11:51 PM »
Hey Glenn

Yes mate, I love it...the fuel injection is fine and the tank cap is pretty well protected (ie no mud sliding in). The centre of gravity feels so low yet there is plenty of clearance. I've done a couple of rides with mates (FE5570, 450exc, etc) and where they have cased out I just seem to scrape through. The suspension is quite good for the heavier riders, I am 6ft4 100kgs and all I needed to do was wind it up a bit...

Husqvarna has done a good thing with these 449/511's since being taken over by BMW. As you have probably heard they are based on the BMW G450x however well improved on this. For the price they are going for ride away, you would be mad to even consider a Blue, Green, Red or Yellow prehistoric machine....

I went from an WR450F to a 300EXC...and never looked back to the Jap bikes....
Hi Racer,
I've been looking around at good low K husaberg fe570 and Ktm 530exc, was probably leaning towards the husaberg as they seem to get great reviews.
For the same sort if money I could get a spanking new Husqvarna te511.Husky has brilliant warranty compared to the others.
The 2010 huskies don't seem to be the flavor of the month, mainly electrical problems and the close ratio gearboxes, can pick up cheap 2nd hand.
How do you find the gearbox on your 449?
How's the power compared to your mates ktm's and hussies?
Any issues with the bike at all?

I have not had a bike for a few years, but I do appreciate the quality of the european bikes.
My last bike was a kTM 380exc two smoker, pharrkkk that thing went hard.
Sorry about all he questions.
Glenn

« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 07:05:27 PM by Swogjb »

Racer

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2011, 01:21:27 PM »
The new 449/511's don't have the inherit Husqvarna issues of reliability. These days they come with a 12mth unlimited kilometer warranty..the gear box is fine...I did plenty of research on them prior to splashing out...

As for power mate, not a problem....I did read somewhere about some fool comparing the 449 to a DR400Z.....I have the pleasure to ride one of these at work and I can assure you..they are totally opposite bikes....

You can pick up a new '11 for 11K with bits and pieces ride away...the '12 models are being released in December....