Author Topic: What's in your first aid kit?  (Read 17702 times)

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: What's in your first aid kit?
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »
I have one of those 4x4 first aid kits I bought from a first aid company. It is a soft bag that folds out and has different compartments for everything. I was surprised at just how much was included and haven't needed to add much at all.

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2014, 01:03:32 PM »
My First Aid Supplies..Simple but effective.. ;D

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2014, 04:42:58 PM »
Standard Catagory Level 2 kit with the following added

Betadine (will kill any infection)
Nurofen Plus (pain killer)
Hemmaroid cream (will get rid of severe bruising in 3 days)
Space Blanket (for shock)
Immodium ( for when you could not see the sea but ate the seafood)
Magnesium Tablets (crook in the guts take 3 of these and keep a clear path to the toilet in 8hrs)
Berroca Tablets (contains electorlytes for dehydration)
Super glue (not pretty but will seal a large cut)
Roll of Elasto plast tape with padding strip (bandaids are useless)

Hmmmm.   Good list but it needs a few adjustments.
Betadine can be used to clean a contaminated external wound but will not treat an infection.   One problem with Betadine is it's brown!   It can make it hard to see the dirt!   Normal Saline or even water is better to flush a heavily contaminated wound before you use the betadine to kill the bugs.
Put ice on a bruise every two hours for the first couple of days.   I dont think haemorrhoid cream makes much of a difference and if it does it's only to the visible discolouration which is not really the same as healing.
Berocca is a multivitamin.   It has low levels of sodium (the main electrolyte) and no sugar.   There are better electrolyte tablets.
A space blanket is for when the patient is cold (hypothermic).   If the patient is in shock, keep them warm but don't overheat them.   You can get very hot under a space blanket.   By the way, shock (ie inadequate oxygen delivery to the tissues for whatever reason) is a medical emergency.   The patient needs urgent transfer to hospital.
Imodium is for severe diarrhoea.   If it's not too bad it's better to put up with it and let the bug out of your system.   It wont help nausea and vomiting, for that you need Maxolon (on prescription).
Cyanoacrylate can be used to close small cuts and lacerations.   If you use non-medical superglue, make sure it's a new tube and hopefully a little bit sterile.   It is also very important to make sure a wound is clean before you close it, otherwise you run the risk of a wound infection with delayed healing and a bigger scar.   If in doubt, it's better to leave it open and cover it with a sterile dressing, even if there might be a delay before you can get it seen by a doctor.
I agree bandaids are pretty useless.   Remember though that a roll of elastoplast wont be sterile so take care if using it on a wound.   There are some great dressings such as Primapore which are like a jumbo bandaid and these are good for large abrasions etc.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200
The following users thanked this post: Bird

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2014, 08:34:57 PM »
I have a Trafalgar First Aid kit bought when I used to fly aeroplanes. It is a good unit - weighs 1kg.  I have kept it current. But I added a signal mirror, lighter, compass and other stuff to make it effective when in a remote location. I also have a second one provided by my Toyota dealer which is quite good containing mainly bandages and other straps - I keep both in the Prado.
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2014, 11:41:59 PM »
Betadine can be used to clean a contaminated external wound but will not treat an infection.   One problem with Betadine is it's brown!   It can make it hard to see the dirt!   Normal Saline or even water is better to flush a heavily contaminated wound before you use the betadine to kill the bugs.
Put ice on a bruise every two hours for the first couple of days.   I dont think haemorrhoid cream makes much of a difference and if it does it's only to the visible discolouration which is not really the same as healing.
Berocca is a multivitamin.   It has low levels of sodium (the main electrolyte) and no sugar.   There are better electrolyte tablets.
A space blanket is for when the patient is cold (hypothermic).   If the patient is in shock, keep them warm but don't overheat them.   You can get very hot under a space blanket.   By the way, shock (ie inadequate oxygen delivery to the tissues for whatever reason) is a medical emergency.   The patient needs urgent transfer to hospital.
Imodium is for severe diarrhoea.   If it's not too bad it's better to put up with it and let the bug out of your system.   It wont help nausea and vomiting, for that you need Maxolon (on prescription).
Cyanoacrylate can be used to close small cuts and lacerations.   If you use non-medical superglue, make sure it's a new tube and hopefully a little bit sterile.   It is also very important to make sure a wound is clean before you close it, otherwise you run the risk of a wound infection with delayed healing and a bigger scar.   If in doubt, it's better to leave it open and cover it with a sterile dressing, even if there might be a delay before you can get it seen by a doctor.
I agree bandaids are pretty useless.   Remember though that a roll of elastoplast wont be sterile so take care if using it on a wound.   There are some great dressings such as Primapore which are like a jumbo bandaid and these are good for large abrasions etc.

Good points indeed. Just a note. You can buy Anigrain over the counter which has Paracetamol and Maxalon or Nausitil which has paracetamol and Stemitil. They are sold as Migrain tablets but handy if you need some nausia tablets.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline smartyingreen

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2014, 06:23:53 PM »
I have just added some bone injection guns. Do I win?

Ha, I did actually get handed an IO gun on my last trip out in the bush last year - could have come in handy if one of the 80 Postie bike riders fell off and I couldn't get IV access!

Sent from my GT-N8020 using Tapatalk

Smartyingreen - HZJ105 Land Cruiser + Cameron HD Off Road Unlimited Concept Camper.

Offline disco1

• Swag User
« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2014, 01:45:55 PM »

Have a home first aid kit (modified) and a large trauma kit, spig and cuff, steth, also found assorted airways, magill forceps, maternaty kit, and a few other things that i can't use any more. passed my only first aid course in1968

Mauri.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2016, 09:47:06 AM »
Quote from: Patr80l

Cyanoacrylate can be used to close small cuts and lacerations.   If you use non-medical superglue, make sure it's a new tube and hopefully a little bit sterile.   
It is also very important to make sure a wound is clean before you close it, otherwise you run the risk of a wound infection with delayed healing and a bigger scar.  If in doubt, it's better to leave it open and cover it with a sterile dressing, even if there might be a delay before you can get it seen by a doctor.

I agree bandaids are pretty useless.   Remember though that a roll of elastoplast wont be sterile so take care if using it on a wound.
There are some great dressings such as Primapore which are like a jumbo bandaid and these are good for large abrasions etc.
great info.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 11:46:14 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2016, 11:21:05 AM »
We have two kits, one in the Landcruiser and another in the camper ( because if your at camp and the 4x4's not you don't have a kit handy ). I've put most of the common things in as well as Tooth Ache drops, Ventolin, Ear Drops, Burn Aid etc.
We keep the Landcruiser Kit in a Pelican Case so it's dry and dust free and the one in the camper is a soft fold out type !

Cheers
jk
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 04:00:34 PM by jk »
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!
The following users thanked this post: Bird

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2022, 11:47:27 AM »
Time again to restock with non expired stuff... any good places these days to buy supplies at good $?
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline ronmac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Just love my wild turkey
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2022, 01:56:11 PM »
Time again to restock with non expired stuff... any good places these days to buy supplies at good $?
[/
I use a place up in Newcastle, NSW. Called Survival I also have the Snake bite kit by the same company a great bit of gear. cheers Ron.
The greatest gift you can give someone is your time, because when you give your time you are giving a portion of your life that you will never get back.

Well, strip my gears and call me Shiftless.

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2022, 05:29:39 PM »

This is who i use to restock our business first aid kits (6 or 7 depot kits as well as nearly 100 small kits from trucks and cars).
Small family company. Also does training and privides first aid at events, so have the real life knowledge to back the product.

https://www.1staidkits.com.au/

« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 11:53:18 AM by GGV8Cruza »
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2022, 05:34:51 PM »

This is who i use to restock our business first aid kits (6 or 7 depot kits as well as nearly 100 small kits from trucks and cars).
Small family company. Also does training and privides first aid at events, so have the real life knowledge to back the product.

Thank you for the link.
I appreciate it. Cheers.

You don't use magic to disappear, ya use a 4x4 & Swag.

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)