Author Topic: The Kimberley Group Debacle.  (Read 8119 times)

Offline SirGollum

• Tent User
The Kimberley Group Debacle.
« on: March 30, 2018, 08:50:48 AM »
As a very recent previous owner of the Kimberley Kamper, I obviously have some interest in whats happening with the company.

A few months back, I saw they went into administration, and although some of the documents seemed to suggest otherwise, they smoothed it over by saying that it was a technicality for one of the major share holders to step down, to become purely a consultant (Bruce)

After that, I see they have come out of administration, which is great,  but never really bothered to notify anyone. (no media release that I could find)   Which seems very odd to me.

And now...last night, I saw this formal announcement from SEQ Campers (attached), that they are parting ways with Kimberley.  Its fair to say that I know James there fairly well, and hes not an unreasonable bloke, so to provoke this major business decision must have been something big.

I had planned to get a Karavan in the next few years, but I doubt it now.

Does anyone have any info on whats going on ?

(link to SEQ Letter - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CJoywEXjvEFKK4YhhVOnyh4j3syi3ukN/view?usp=sharing)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2018, 08:53:07 AM by SirGollum »

Charlie Brown

Re: The Kimberley Group Debacle.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 08:52:42 AM »
No link/attachment
The following users thanked this post: krusty, denidoug, SirGollum

Offline SirGollum

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 08:53:49 AM »
Just added mate, sorry about that.

Charlie Brown

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 08:57:11 AM »
Thx and wow.  Something bad has happened there.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 12:54:54 PM »
Seems like their might be a little more going on behind the scene than Kimberly has let on. Wonder what the chances are that we will see SEQ campers as a QLD agent for Mountain Trail Campers in the near future?

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 12:18:17 PM »
They also recently lost Pete Hands and Express as there partner in NSW.
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 03:01:27 PM »
Read that letter about a week back... a shame as James and his team has always been great to deal with the 7 years I have dealt with them. Heard a few weeks ago that Kimberley were looking for a new local agent, so it’s been coming a little while now....was also told then that not everyone got paid when the administration thing happened, no ideal how true that was or if it has anything to do with this situation at all. Considering how well we were looked after as a KK owner, it’s a shame to see where the company has ended up now....we still own a great camper though 8)
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2018, 04:25:05 PM »
I read the staff got paid their entitlements, however unsecured creditors lost $$$.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »
I read the staff got paid their entitlements, however unsecured creditors lost $$$.

"Mr Nicols said employee wages and superannuation payments would be paid in full while unsecured creditors would gain six cents of every dollar owed by March 31.

If that deadline is not met, Mr Nicols said another meeting would need to be held to plan a course of action.

Mr Nicols said that proceeds from the company's campers built prior to January 18 would contribute toward paying back creditors.

Kimberley Kampers went into voluntary administration on December 7 last year. Company director Bruce Loxton resigned 11 days after the announcement"
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2018, 05:18:59 PM »
They also recently lost Pete Hands and Express as there partner in NSW.

Pretty sure that was due to health reasons and not financially related, there's a new dealer in NSW and based on the feedback from the kk Facebook page they have been providing really good service

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The following users thanked this post: simmo_33

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2018, 05:25:26 PM »
Quote from: Rumpig
Read that letter about a week back... a shame as James and his team has always been great to deal with the 7 years I have dealt with them.
Family in our club didn't have that service with theirs... they sold it 18mths later fed up with the Shit service. I guess its like other Qld manufacturers - when you live in Victoria.. too far away to give a ****.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2018, 05:53:23 PM »
Family in our club didn't have that service with theirs... they sold it 18mths later fed up with the Shit service. I guess its like other Qld manufacturers - when you live in Victoria.. too far away to give a ****.

That's a real surprise as we have had really good service over the last 3 years. The guys at Victorian camper trailers (kk dealer) have been awesome. They have a full workshop so can pretty much do everything except for major canvas repairs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2018, 06:21:49 PM »
the trailers were manufactured in NSW in Ballina..... SEQ Campers which James owned were a Kimberley agent, so his company I doubt had anythingng to do with those issues you mention. This was a guy and company that went out of their way to repair any issues I ever had.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2018, 11:31:18 PM »
Quote from: lukeycat
That's a real surprise as we have had really good service over the last 3 years. The guys at Victorian camper trailers (kk dealer) have been awesome. They have a full workshop so can pretty much do everything except for major canvas repairs.
This family was from Drouin so no idea where they picked up from, but the day they picked it up headed straight for Beachport SA for our bi-annual trip.. they were like pigs in Shit when they arrived! Wasnt for a few mths and several bigger type trips until I found out they weren't happy.

Quote from: Rumpig
the trailers were manufactured in NSW in Ballina..... SEQ Campers which James owned were a Kimberley agent, so his company I doubt had anything to do with those issues you mention. This was a guy and company that went out of their way to repair any issues I ever had.

Many things were small.. like dodgy handles on draws or something like that I can t remember - KK had an upgraded handle ... but wouldn't fit it to his trailer unless he bought em... Shit like that. I thought they would have been only too happy to fit them considering they probably only cost 10. but nothign surprises me in this hobby anymore....  They got a caravan after that and moved to Qld for 12 mths...

Not sayin it happens to everyone, plenty of happy people around with many brands, even Who Flung Dung...  but IMWO distance seems to be a common factor with some issues and different places. I'd never buy from an interstate company again but I'd never buy new again either LOL.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2018, 05:40:23 AM »
This family was from Drouin so no idea where they picked up from, but the day they picked it up headed straight for Beachport SA for our bi-annual trip.. they were like pigs in Shit when they arrived! Wasnt for a few mths and several bigger type trips until I found out they weren't happy.

Many things were small.. like dodgy handles on draws or something like that I can t remember - KK had an upgraded handle ... but wouldn't fit it to his trailer unless he bought em... Shit like that. I thought they would have been only too happy to fit them considering they probably only cost 10. but nothign surprises me in this hobby anymore....  They got a caravan after that and moved to Qld for 12 mths...

Not sayin it happens to everyone, plenty of happy people around with many brands, even Who Flung Dung...  but IMWO distance seems to be a common factor with some issues and different places. I'd never buy from an interstate company again but I'd never buy new again either LOL.
we don't have any handles on draws in our camper that I can think of, so no idea what the go is there...the cutlery draw has a hole drilled in the face to pull it open and everything else works on draw slides.

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2018, 04:53:41 PM »

It would have been the kitchen slide latches which they changed the design of apparently there were some issues with them vibrating loose (mostly due to operator error). I have the old design and this never happened to us would be an easy self fix if it did happen though. If I wanted an upgrade id be more than happy to pay for it ;) as the latches are a fair bit more than $10 as they are lockable.  And if they lived in Drouin the dealer is in Pakenham (was based in Dandy south pre 2015)  so not far away at all.

Clearly should have brought a caravan in the first place by the sounds of it hahahaha.

Offline SirGollum

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2018, 07:07:31 PM »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BobT

• Tent User
    • bobtrlin
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 12:05:58 PM »
Yes, very sad to see them go.  Best off-road camper ever.  It'll make it hard to source spares.  Service was never an issue for me.  I do my own.  I don't let any dealership touch my gear unless it's a recall.  Sure, after every trip there are things to fix but talk to owners of Jaycos and Winnebagos and you'll be glad you have a Kimberley.
It's easy to be wise after the event but looking back, the writing was on the wall.  I recently went to a camping exhibition.  I was amazed by the dozens of camper trailer brands I had never heard of.  It seems any back yarder with a welder is knocking up campers.  Every other one was touted as being off-road.  However, from what I saw, the only thing off-road about them was black wheel and mud tyres.  Why would one need mud tyres on a trailer?  Little wonder Kimberley was going all out to add features.  I think this is where they started to go off the rails, I mean air-con for a camper, really?  Then came their huge caravans and to top it off, the Unimog.  What a beast.  Who did they think was going to buy one, grey nomads?  I don't think so.  It is speed limited to 80kph and still has huge fuel consumption.  Who wants to punt across the Nullarbor at 80kph?  I asked them about it.  Apparently with the large tyres and short wheelbase it gets unstable at higher speed.  If they get a chance to rebuild the company, my advice would be to stick to what they are good at and that's building the best truly off-road campers ever.
BobT