Author Topic: Navara or Ranger  (Read 8648 times)

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
Re: Navara or Ranger
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2011, 08:27:15 AM »
it's only an issue if you plan on doing any family touring in it. if not, then the navara would definitely be my pick over the triton. although, you do get a lot of car in the triton for the money..

Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 11:28:04 AM »
I would also vote for the Triton Laith.....and not just because I have its sister ( the Sigma )
No issues ( that I've heard of yet ) with driveline failures......a good clean underbody with nothing to get hung up on off road (wouldn't need to bother with bash plates, unless you intend to do some serious stuff....then the diff lock would be a must as well )

Whatever you end up getting, test drive a manual and an auto.....you may be surprised how nice the autos are to drive ( I personally didn't, but thats just me )
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 01:21:45 PM »
We have the Ranger and the Triton here at work, out of these two, I'd pick the Ranger, the Triton has no feel in the steering, quick flicks left to right in the Triton were almost turning the wheel a complete turn :o

Turned me off them completely.

Never driven a Navara, I have a couple of friends with them, they seem very happy with them.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Tezza1974

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Hilux SR5 D4D & Lifestlye Podium CT
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2011, 08:53:08 AM »
Holden dropped a Colorado ( Diesel Manual) at our offices for the week to test drive as we all have the Ranger Diesel for the Reps and i took it for a spin. I drove around the block and was not impressed. engine noise was unbelievable i reckon they should issue industrial ear muffs with those units.

Ranger 1 - Colarado - 0

Looking for that perfect place somewhere between Peace & Quiet

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 09:23:25 AM »
I bougt a new BT50 in Nov last year, can't fault it, power is good, economy is great, I have heard the clutch issues with them but a mate has a D40 and is on his second clutch and i was driving behind a D40 in bris last week with a big sticker on his back windscreen. " NOT HAPPY NISSAN, NEW CLUTCH AT 15,000KM NO WARRANTY $3500"
For the $ of the BT 50, mine was dual cab alloy tray, ladder rack, water tank and small tool box, just base model, $31k on the road, can't go wrong, and even the base model has ABS brakes.
I work on 4WD's day in day out and that is 1 reason why I went the BT, plus I didn't need a mega $$ ute as i've got our GU for long distance stuff.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline Moto Moto

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2011, 09:37:07 PM »
My mate put a deposit down on an Manual XLT Ranger yesterday, they are doing great deals on these at the moment before the new model arrives in a few months. The dealer even threw in Autron cruise control and quite a few other extras in the deal.

I test drove both the D40 and Ranger last weekend, and while the D40 had more room, the Ranger had comfier seats for the driver and was much nicer to drive. So torquey!

On the clutch issues, I have heard a few stories relating to reversing vans with the Ranger, third hand stories mind you. But my local Nissan dealer has a permanent loan D40 to give to their customers who come in with clutch issues. It happens that often that they have a standby (auto) ready to keep the customers happy ??? An auto D40 would be great though.

The new Ute market is so close, you can't lose really (unless you get a Great Wall ;D). What ever you get, from the stories i have heard about both model, sounds like an auto would be wise.

2012 BT-50 XTR and Jayco Expanda 14.44-4 Outback

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2011, 07:27:18 AM »
I used to have the manual d40 and never had clutch issues.. I think a lot of people are towing larger vans and still trying to drive them like cars and the. Get issues.

Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline carinya

• Tent User
  • Nothing $30 million wouldn't fix
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2011, 07:55:29 AM »
Last Nav I drove was geared a bit higher than the Triton, can't say much about the ranger.  know a few blokes who have destroyed Nav clutches we are assuming because of this higher gearing in the lower gears. Only going to cause trouble if you tow a heavy trailer.  Talking to a diesel mechanic in Townsville, gets a lot of nomads etc all the time with burnt clutches, blown motors in four cylinder utes.  They are told they can tow three tons and then try to, and blow up some part of it in front of his shop on the way to Kunnunnurra. 
MK Triton Dual Cab.
Cheap gal trailer with some stuff added.

Offline Laith

• Campers are like girlfriends... I like to check out everyone else's
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2011, 08:15:46 AM »
I have asked for a Navara.

I am told I will get it in a few months time.  It will be fitted out with drawers and a canopy. I'm hoping I can talk the boss into a dual battery system "for a inverter". This will likely be after I get it though.

At the end of the day if the clutch or anything else go's it's not my problem.

It will only tow my Camprite on the odd weekend where I think I could do without the benefits of my Cruiser.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions. :cheers:

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2011, 09:14:33 AM »
You were always going to get good and bad stories on all those utes. A mate of mine just bought a D-Max that he is taking out to Bruce Garland (of Australian Rally and Dakar fame) to sort out suspension-wise.

Someone else is paying for the car, it will be good regardless of the model  ;D.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Racer

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2011, 09:39:41 AM »
Sorry Laith, you should have got a Proton Jumbuck. Go back and change your order!

Offline Laith

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2011, 11:15:56 AM »
Sorry Laith, you should have got a Proton Jumbuck. Go back and change your order!

;D

Offline Laith

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2011, 09:14:05 AM »
Delivery got stepped up. Get my new Nav next Wednesday.  :cup:

Offline BradandPeta

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I have a friend's with Jayco's ... I need new ones
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2011, 10:35:09 AM »
As if you would choose a Nissan .. Oh well nit your dime I guess .

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2011, 10:40:05 AM »
I know it maybe too late but did you look at an Amorok Laith??

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Laith

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2011, 11:19:04 AM »
Glanced over them mate. Didn't think it was that it was any better if at all than the rest. Up there with the Hilux price wise. Dont see the difference in dollars myself.