Author Topic: Walking With the Black Dog  (Read 3820 times)

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Walking With the Black Dog
« on: February 07, 2019, 09:03:51 AM »
This sums up what the black dog does to you perfectly  :'(
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"
The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
Re: Walking With the Black Dog
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 09:07:48 AM »
Pretty much mate, RU OK? You are amongst friends here.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build
The following users thanked this post: db, Herks

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 03:42:21 PM »
This sums up what the black dog does to you perfectly  :'(
X 100. Going through a little bout of something myself at the moment.  Undiagnosed, but I know something is not right. Getting the wife involved and getting it off my chest has helped.  Yesterday and today have not been great. Next step will be some professional help.  Something us blokes aren't great at.
Cheers,  Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 03:45:01 PM »
Something us blokes aren't great at.

No, we're not :'(, but it's something you've got to do, & been there, done that & it helped immensely!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline KeithB

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 04:52:37 PM »
I had cognitive behaviour therapy about a dozen years ago and it helped me enormously.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxiety/treatments-for-anxiety/psychological-treatments-for-anxiety

Keith
200 Series 2008, bull bar, Airmax snorkel,rack with 200 watt solar, third battery, winch, 33's with 2 spares, long range tank, drawers & barrier, bash plates, lifted & locked, Richards transmission lockup plus plenty of dings. Now towing the new Off Road Glamper.

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 07:26:23 PM »
It's a strange thing our mind. It is an amazing part of our body but then it can throw a curve ball. Your mind will bring you so much joy and that feeling brilliant times and yet it can make you feel down. You may not know why and can not think of what happened, but feel down....  And then you are good again. Yep it is a very powerful thing your mind. And when shi* happens you know there are others worse off but it can take a lot to pick yourself up.....  To get your mind working how it should be.  Happy.    Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline Coolblue80

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 02:32:12 PM »
After more than 6 months of knowing something was not right, and not being able to turn things around ourselves, I've ended up at the G.P. The short of it is, I'm now medicated as of today. It's a hard thing to admit that you need help. I could just see the concern and sadness I was causing Wifey.  I'm not real keen on taking the meds but I will see how it goes. Leaving the house this morning to go to work with Wifey in tears because she couldn't understand or help was a real kick in the guts. I had no sooner got to work and told the Boss I was going home. After chatting to a mate who's wife suffers terribly from depression and anxiety, I knew the gig was up. 
So begins the journey of trying to make things right.  Strangely enough, my G.P. suffers from depression as well. She was more than understanding and could tell things were off.
Cheers, Mike.
2015 Mitsi Pajero. Dobbo MRR Lift, ARB Bar, MM4X4 Lock Up Mate, Intervolt DC Pro DBS, 12,000lb Mako winch. Bla Bla Bla.

96 80 Series. Lots of mods, not enough wheeling. - Gone but not forgotten.
Gulf King Warrior soft floor camper & 19ft Jayco Van

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 02:56:01 PM »
After more than 6 months of knowing something was not right, and not being able to turn things around ourselves, I've ended up at the G.P. The short of it is, I'm now medicated as of today. It's a hard thing to admit that you need help. I could just see the concern and sadness I was causing Wifey.  I'm not real keen on taking the meds but I will see how it goes. Leaving the house this morning to go to work with Wifey in tears because she couldn't understand or help was a real kick in the guts. I had no sooner got to work and told the Boss I was going home. After chatting to a mate who's wife suffers terribly from depression and anxiety, I knew the gig was up. 
So begins the journey of trying to make things right.  Strangely enough, my G.P. suffers from depression as well. She was more than understanding and could tell things were off.
Cheers, Mike.

Its a hard first step, but you'll be happier for it.

Be careful not to miss your tablets for a few days, in my case it was not pretty losing my Shit at anything.. neither was weaning myself off them. Mate had same issue, but I guess it depends on which happy's your on.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline BBull

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 02:57:27 PM »
Cheers, Mike.
I spent nearly 2 years getting back on track. Its crap that you can't tell anyone what is actually wrong because you don't know.
Spent a few bouts in hospital, also went to courses at hospital every week for a year.
I have come to the conclusion I will be on a low dosage medication for the rest of my life.

Best thing I did was totally give up drinking, very much helped with the head.
But I was lucky as we had some money put away for a rainy day so we got buy, JUST.
I feel for the people who can't get help or can't afford help. The system is so floored.
I was lucky to have a supportive wife

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 01:01:41 PM »
So begins the journey of trying to make things right. 

Hey Mike, bad to hear, but good on you for asking for help :cup: - so many blokes don't / won't :'(

Remember, MySwag is always here if you want to talk!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »
I've walking around with the dog for the last 35 years, sometimes it's really tough and sometimes are terrific. The single biggest thing to do is to talk about it, talk to any body, they don't have to be an expert. The dog hates exposure, so the more you open up the more you weaken him.

Try and find the "triggers" that set you off, you might need to keep a diary or have a friend/spouse keep 1.

Tiredness is my biggest enemy, I have to get at least 7 or 8 hours every night, that took me a long time to work out.

I try not to have high expectations about anything or anyone, disappointment sets  it of with me, so everything that works out is a plus not a negative.

I hope this helps  1 of you
cheers Keith
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"
The following users thanked this post: briann532

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 06:36:34 PM »
Try and find the "triggers" that set you off, you might need to keep a diary or have a friend/spouse keep 1
Great advice. There have been times when I have struggled to cope due to stress, both personal and work related, and the best advice the psychologist gave me was to try and identify the triggers and remove myself from the situation if possible. Not always possible, but makes a big difference when you can.