Author Topic: The 60's and 70's what a great time.  (Read 31980 times)

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: The 60's and 70's what a great time.
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2019, 07:55:56 PM »
Odd jobs on the cane farm up the road in primary school. Mainly feeding the irrigator. The farmer would move the old southern cross irrigator, run out the cable and set up the star pickets. Our job was to drive the old Commer truck around the farm and find it then run the irrigation pipes back to the tractor at the dam, then fire up the tractor and bugger off to school. The fun part of the comer was it had no floor pan or seat so you sat on a bit of metal and tried not to fall through the floor.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2019, 08:35:45 PM »
1st payed job while at school was helping old man as a plumbers labourer in holidays etc and when in yr 10 I got a job wearing a white coat at Leichhardt Oval working at the ground each Wednesday night during the rugby league Amco Cup not doing much at all.
After school in 1981  I got a Plumbing apprenticeship with Public Works, great training back then.
Still in the industry some 38 years later although the tools are now packed away.

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2019, 06:58:08 AM »
This one could go in a few threads.. All this talk and Hype over Cyclone OMA  going to do this and that ......
 Its time I  reckon,  We need another Cherry Venture type grounding event on  Teewah   [ Highly unlikely due to the lack of shipping traffic these days though  ] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFagW_RTb_U   ...      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3odV6wLMmY  ....  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTeb2_tHL0k      so the next generations can make memories of trips to the wreck .    ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:03:18 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2019, 07:17:40 AM »
My first job was door to door sales for Sharp Bros Soft drinks, I was 14yrs old, I wasn't very good at it, started doing a paper run until I left school, did a couple of part time jobs(brickies labourer) good money too for 1971 $65 a week better than my next job as a delivery boy for Stewart & Lloyds in Newcastle(Tubemakers) $17.90 a week, when I left to do an apprenticeship as a painter I was getting $38, then moved to Wollongong to work on the railways in Port Kembla.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Hewy54

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2019, 07:41:58 AM »
First job was pumping petrol for 87c per hour when petrol was 35c a gallon.
Tried ceiling installation, spot welder at Holdens, spare parts salesman, fruit picking and swimming pool lifeguard.

People told me I had a few brains so decided to go to uni but money was tight. Took a teaching scholarship as that was the only way to get uni fees paid and thought I would be a teacher until I decided what I wanted to do.
After 40 years of teaching finally found what I really wanted to do - be retired.

80 Series
Vista Crossover XL

Offline Bobsan

• Tent User
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2019, 08:02:45 AM »
My first job was as a apprentice in 1967 earning $16.93 per week paying $10 board per week and a long neck of beer of Melbourne bitter was 38 cents a bottle.
Mits Challenger.
Bushranger Rear fold  Camper

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2019, 08:58:47 AM »
its amazing the things that have gone, the milko coming round - glass bottles, paperboys - hating that initial 5 minutes in the rain!... the bread delivery, etc ... many more...

All jobs most of us had at sometime, all ****ed due to minimum wages bullShit and gettin to dangerous for kids to be out and about like that these day

the milko used to have a horse drawn dray, this was the early '70s and innerish suburbs of Melbourne (Carnegie/Murrumbeena).
Had the arvo papers stitched up, sellin em to the workers of WD&HO Wills (ciggie manufactures, made a motza selling the bootleg smokes I got from some of the workers at Oakleigh Tech and Murrumbeena High) and Paton's brakes (later Repco), morning papers on North Rd at the traffic lights after the paper round.

Not a care in the world back then.
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2019, 10:11:35 AM »
Martin became a cop and the last I saw him was in the 80’s in Emerald. No idea about Mark...never heard or seen him since the eighties.

There were fires occasionally but I don’t remember any particular one. I must have a been a good kid....oh ....except for blowing up people’s wooden letter boxes to pieces with combined half dozen double bungers together during cracker night week...oh and maybe a few other things 🤡

Not so strange that you’ve always had a connection to cars I suppose...I just can’t quite get my head around how some Shitboxes from the seventies are now seen as cool... like 180 b’s or those ugly 120 y’s like my cousin had 😳

Now, you've got me thinking and I may be wrong, BUT......

Did your parents have a salmon (pink) with a white roof, EK Holden wagon?
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2019, 10:44:30 AM »
I remember the milkman with the horse and cart, the horse would walk down the road and the milkman would be running from the cart to a house back to the cart and do on, was amazed how the horse used to know what corners to turn by itself, OHS would havea ball with that now, loved waking up to the clip clop of the horses hooves.
My first job was riding around all the chemists in Wangaratta after school and collecting the rolls of film and taking them to the lady who developed them, she would give me leather satchels with the developed photos to take back to the chemists .
The first year of my apprenticeship I was taking home $17.60 a week and thought I was king of the world

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2019, 10:54:23 AM »

waking up to the clip clop of the horses hooves.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

That would have a whole new meaning these days....  ;D

The ol man, always reckoned that Johnny Farhnam was a Horses Hoof. 

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2019, 11:59:49 AM »
Spot on JP....he did have an old EK wagon and I think is was originally salmon with a white roof....but I still remember he handed painted it blue with a paint brush.

My older brother used to have an FC that he used to hoon around the park in as well as a few old triumph motor bikes etc.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2019, 12:48:42 PM »
 :cup:

Offline Champin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2019, 01:04:21 PM »
Remember the Newcastle song? What was that? The mid to late 70s?

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2019, 01:44:49 PM »
Yeah..think around 75 or 76.

Still got that I think on one of our records....and local radio played it just the other day.

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2019, 02:07:29 PM »
if Buddy Holly, Richie Valens and the Big Boppa hadn't been killed in 59, I wonder what affect it would had on the music of the 60's.

Probably more so Buddy, that was someone who was destined to go on to greater things, or so it have appeared, until late one night in early feb. 59.

Offline doc evil

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2019, 02:31:03 PM »
Remember the Newcastle song? What was that? The mid to late 70s?

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

This one...……... ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZSSYqHYjxY

And of course this one...……

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITqh-Tzs3QM

:cup: :cup: :cup:
2005 4.2TD ST Patrol 4 door ute, lifted, locked, ARB barred and Warn winched, 33" Cooper ST Maxx.....and a denco turbo upgrade! mmmm power.....

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2019, 04:04:55 PM »
one of the best songs of the sixties....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTeI65yrhGw

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2019, 06:52:56 PM »
The way it was, not a care other than a car,  sheila's and mates https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjthQl-L_RY   ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 07:05:54 PM by edz »

Offline Metters

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2019, 09:30:10 PM »
My memories of the 60s and 70s started at the age of fifteen but I can go back to the early 50s.  There was no TV then so family entertainment came via a valve radio, a piano, a pianola and a wind up gramaphone.  Us kids loved the radio serials like Biggles and Smokey Dawson but if we were still awake a few hours later we had to put up with our parents listening to Blue Hills and When a Girl Married.

I remember a couple of radio songs about dogs back then.  We had "How much is that doggie in the window" in the early 50s.  That was followed a few years later by "Hound Dog".  That song, plus a few more from the boy from Tupelo and his mates, left us in a frenzy and the adults looking like stunned mullets.   

The roads were saturated with English sports cars and monster chrome plated lounge rooms with huge tail fins from America.  I drove a few of them in the 60s and thought they were ok providing you did not want to stop them quickly or go around a corner.

The sixties brought the Sydney Showground Speedway on Saturday nights in summer and Westmead Showground on Sunday afternoons in winter.  I was one of a group of about twelve boys and girls that rarely missed a meeting.  We loved the smell of the bike exhaust fumes and all of us boys were sorry they did not make women's perfume that smelt like that.  We would have bought it by the gallon for our girl friends. 

The cars were always a battle between the Holdens and the American Offenhausers wiith around 25 to 30 thousand people screaming their heads off.

This DVD shows a little of it.   I was in the stand directly above the firey crash that night https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDKD6HugS8w  I also saw the incredable match race between Cunneen and Sherman from the US.

There was no alcohol or drugs in our group and Sunday was another day to get out and enjoy, not a day to recover from Saturday night.

Unfortunately the 60s brought the end of real Rock n Roll.   
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 09:33:20 PM by Metters »

Offline Metters

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2019, 09:34:22 PM »
xxxxxxxxx

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2019, 09:42:55 PM »
Ahh the radio programs before TV .. The "  Yes What " radio series with Green bottle and the gang were my call for bed time, that played on our local  station .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uha34VAmZCY

Offline Metters

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2019, 10:15:30 PM »
Ahh the radio programs before TV .. The "  Yes What " radio series with Green bottle and the gang were my call for bed time, that played on our local  station .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uha34VAmZCY

How could you ever forget them?  They were priceless. 

The 60s gave us the Three Stooges on TV.  Unfortunately they were banned from Sydney TV in about '68 because too many kids were playing Stooges and hitting each other on the head with hammers. 

Offline bkim

• Tent User
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2019, 01:16:00 AM »
My first job was as a apprentice in 1967 earning $16.93 per week paying $10 board per week and a long neck of beer of Melbourne bitter was 38 cents a bottle.

You were overpaid! 1st year plumbing apprentice in NQ was 9 pound a fortnight in 66 and went to $19 something a fortnight when decimal currency came in and paid $12 in board!, old commonwealth Dept of works paid fortnightly in cash either in the depot or anywhere the pay vehicle could get to  your worksite in the town area.

used to have an armed plain clothes cop and the paymaster was also armed, wouldn't happen nowadays

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2019, 06:09:39 AM »
How many made their own radio?  Remember the crystal radios?  Made from bits and pieces, long wire going outside for antenna and ear phones. No batteries required. Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.