Author Topic: Patriot vs Drifta campers  (Read 9563 times)

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
Patriot vs Drifta campers
« on: January 20, 2019, 08:00:24 AM »
Many must have done this comparison, so what are you pros and cons of each
Drifta I am looking at is not that top heavy walk up version, but the old Hannibal Tent on an independent equip vs a the base Patriot with the Hardshelf tent
Change is good, so smile and enjoy life!
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Patriot vs Drifta campers
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 07:36:02 PM »
Saw the latest Drifta YouTube clip, Luke is gunning the Patriot.
They say in politics, best way to find that Labour’s policies are, just go to a Coalition conference.
Same for business, Luke pointed out excellent point, but tone it down mate.
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 11:10:42 AM »
First of all, Kudos to Luke for building a successful Aussie Camper manufacturing business when plenty of others are falling over, having said that, I remember videos of his paying out on things he now incorporates like independent suspension. I find it that a lot of his comparisons only factor the things that suit his point of view and are therefore pretty one-sided and inaccurate and don't get me started on it taking 30mins to say what could be said in 5.   
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 04:06:16 PM »
Correct, Luke built an amazing business and his trailers are better than any other box trailers.

But tone it down Luke - I remember the clip about how independent suspension are an over kill.
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 06:12:46 PM »
I can’t believe the prices of these things, for basically a box trailer and tent. Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2019, 05:06:12 AM »
I can’t believe the prices of these things, for basically a box trailer and tent. Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree but generally a home built version doesn’t look a cool as what these guys are punching out.

Good thing I don’t need to look cool so I built my own for around $6k....using a dual cab tub, very functional and suited us to a T bit of parked next to a high end unit they look like chalk and cheese 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2019, 07:54:31 AM »
Quote from: weeds
Good thing I don’t need to look cool so I built my own for around $6k....using a dual cab tub, very functional and suited us to a T
thats really all that matters aint it ???
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 07:26:45 PM »
thats really all that matters aint it ???

To most people..yes.   To many though, being able to keep up with the Jonse,s and trying to impress with the money spent on bullShit rigs is also very important!!!!!
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2019, 10:15:07 PM »
The best place to see the ‘keeping up with the Jones’ will be at the Brisbane 4wd show.
There will be at least 3 to 4 of those show pony 6x6 Landcruiser 79 with portal and coils.
You can buy and deck out an ex-army unimog that can go anywhere.
Landcruiser 76 tourer
The following users thanked this post: Rumpig

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2019, 08:16:49 AM »
I never understand why some people care what others spend thier money on, and why they feel the need to bag them for doing so. ???
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: pommiedic

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 10:24:02 AM »
I never understand why some people care what others spend thier money on, and why they feel the need to bag them for doing so. ???

Totally agree......keeping up with the Jones’s....actually it’s more like jealously

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2019, 11:39:45 AM »
Totally agree.
The only person or persons in the equation are you and you loved ones, if you are happy with your lot who cares what others think. We retired early due to the wife's illness, people used to say to me " you must be rich" and my answer would be, "nope we are not, but we will get by with what we have got and enjoy ourselves doing it"
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2019, 12:14:14 PM »
Interesting point you make about jealousy being behind ones critical comments about someone else.
That explain to me why the political parties always ‘bag’ the other parties policies.😊

But noted, I’ll tone down
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2019, 12:29:01 PM »
Quote from: PWE
But noted, I’ll tone down

why, its your thread, your allowed an opinion, even if it is right :)
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2019, 01:03:08 PM »
We retired early due to the wife's illness, people used to say to me " you must be rich" and my answer would be, "nope we are not, but we will get by with what we have got and enjoy ourselves doing it"

We often surprise people with what we are able to do on the income (and time) we have; we're luck as we have managed to set things up so that whilst initial costs can be high, things do tend to be cheaper afterwards. An example of this was changing the fridge/freezer - I reckon it saved us 10% on our electricity bill, so it'll pay itself back quite quickly. Most of our vehicles are old enough they're close to the bottom of their depreciation curve and we do nearly all our own work on them which keeps costs down.

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2019, 01:29:29 PM »
We often surprise people with what we are able to do on the income (and time) we have; we're luck as we have managed to set things up so that whilst initial costs can be high, things do tend to be cheaper afterwards. An example of this was changing the fridge/freezer - I reckon it saved us 10% on our electricity bill, so it'll pay itself back quite quickly. Most of our vehicles are old enough they're close to the bottom of their depreciation curve and we do nearly all our own work on them which keeps costs down.
Yep, I reckon when you are working you sometimes don't give the consideration to purchases that you do when retired. We have, and are continuing to clear out the accumulated bits and pieces of 38 years of marriage and having a family. Sometimes less is more.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2019, 02:28:06 PM »
We have already bought most of the more expensive stuff we want for our retirement so we won’t need to when we are both retired.
For example our MDC XT12 and my Pajero should be the last camper and 4by we should need.
By the time I retire I should have both of them set up perfectly.
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 08:36:49 PM »
Bill

They are in a similar price range as the two campers (Fridta and Patriot) and are a real off-road caravan.
How do you find the MDC XT12?
Especially towing (dirt road towing?)
There are a lot of treads about what people think of the Brand, I am more after owners view of the practical layout, towing and strenght.
Landcruiser 76 tourer
The following users thanked this post: dant

Offline PWE

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2019, 08:38:41 PM »
Totally agree......keeping up with the Jones’s....actually it’s more like jealously

I will not mention the 6 wheelers again because I definitely do not want one.
Landcruiser 76 tourer

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2019, 02:01:25 PM »
Saw the latest Drifta YouTube clip, Luke is gunning the Patriot.
They say in politics, best way to find that Labour’s policies are, just go to a Coalition conference.
Same for business, Luke pointed out excellent point, but tone it down mate.

Just saw patriots newest model and from my perspective, it seems years ahead of what Drifta is offering. For example, the way of accessing the tent with Patriot https://youtu.be/LlJHCvrudho?t=472 and Drifta's way https://youtu.be/-CMDXs2rgkc?t=1059 Not having a go at people who like/buy Drifta as I am sure there are some who it will suit best, but just comparing the design differences.

In comparison, Luke spent a considerable amount of time bagging out on the placement of the batteries as they are hard to get too. But when you consider why they have put them there  (https://youtu.be/LlJHCvrudho?t=180) and factor in that they should only need to be accessed every few years it kind of puts it into perspective. Edit for this bit Justin goes into this in far more detail in the video I posted below.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 03:22:08 PM by tryagain »

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 03:04:03 PM »
And just saw the Patriot walk around where they seem to address all of the "issues" that Luke raised, makes them look a bit like a storm in a teacup. https://youtu.be/TL9sxEflAQE

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2019, 03:19:30 PM »
I've always thought it bad form to bag out a competitors products to try and make a sale - 4wd shows are famous for this.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2019, 03:38:21 PM »
I've always thought it bad form to bag out a competitors products to try and make a sale - 4wd shows are famous for this.

It is the weakest form of salesmanship.

Offline lukeycat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2019, 06:16:59 PM »
It is the weakest form of salesmanship.

Too true and why bother when you can let the punters bag your competitors out on forums like this one ;). I think the patriot campers look shmick but wouldn't suit our family situation the way our kk does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2019, 10:54:18 PM »
Too true and why bother when you can let the punters bag your competitors out on forums like this one ;). I think the patriot campers look shmick but wouldn't suit our family situation the way our kk does.

A Patriot camper isn't going to suit my fam of 6 or my budget anytime in the near future, but I still admire the design that has gone into them. I don't think it was wise for Luke to pay out on the Patriot camper though on a number of levels.