Author Topic: Why did you buy your 4wd?  (Read 27818 times)

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
Why did you buy your 4wd?
« on: August 10, 2010, 11:18:25 AM »
Just curious, what made you buy your particular 4wd?  Was is brand loyalty ie Toyota's are all you'd ever buy and you never looked anywhere else?  Was it a compromise? Or was there some particular outstanding feature that made you decide this was it? For me My 4Wd is my daily drive and for this sort of stuff I never do much research just buy it and then deal with it later (I must really stop doing this).

I started with Jeeps and bought my first Cherokee Sport in 94.  I bought it because it was easy to drive like a car, presentable to go see clients in but had the ability to 4wd (back in those days that basically meant a camping trip to Wedge).  I then discovered the Jeep Grand Cherokee and fell in love (all that leather, all those electric buttons)  I bought a ZJ in 1996 and then a V8 WJ in 2000 (a staff member of mine still has the WJ as a daily drive) I loved that car (although I did think a few things of it when the engine seized).  I then bought the WK V8 Hemi - this was the first car I had ever ordered brand new (generally I like to pick them up between 1 to 3 years old so someone else has had the first hit of depreciation and they slip in under the Luxury Car Limit) - I did mention I was an accountant right?  I hated this car with a passion and sold it after 12 months (another reason I discovered for buying second hand - let someone else deal with all the nigglity little things that don't work right.

During those years my husband has always had a sportscar and the 4WD was always my choice, we would always talk about it but at the end of the day I would be the one using it 95% of the time.  In fact two of the 4WDs he only saw once they turned up in the driveway.  Given a choice between a track day and 4wding I'd say he would pick the track day.  He really only drives it go 4WD and really as long as it has some clearance and a low range gear box it doesn't really matter.

Not once during those years did I think to look at another brand, friends of ours would buy Toyota's etc and it never even crossed my mind to buy one. 

Which brings me back to my initial question.  What made you buy your 4wd and would you ever swap to another?

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Why did you buy your 4wd?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 11:36:31 AM »
For us the 4WD needed to be driven by all members of the family, so they all needed to like it, the only one we tested that everyone liked was the Disco, it was the most comfortable and less truck like of all the 4WDs we tested.

So the Disco 2 got the nod.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:54:12 AM »
 I drive company cars, but Deb needed a replacement for her MX5. What better way to make a complete change than to buy a diesel dual cab ute? She loves driving it, and I have just built it up as time goes on.
cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2007 Navara D40 2.5TD - wife's shopping trolley
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline CRW

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Driving the Dreamliner
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:58:52 AM »
First 4WD purchased was four years age and it was a R51 Nissan Pathfinder, chose this as the price was right at the time, traded a Kluger Grande in on this, whilst it was a TI (top of the PAthfinder range) it was no where near the standard of finsh of the Toyota, Toyota Landcruiser at that stage was a bit out of the price bracket, but have always had a soft spot for them.

Now four years later had the opportunity to get a 200 Series Diesel Cruiser, at the right price and right trade in price so now the cruiser is in the driveway waiting for the mods and the next track.  Couldnt be happier.  

For me the Cruiser ticks all the boxes (only my opioion so Nissan Drivers dont give me a floggin over this)

As they say, "Oh What a Feeling" ;D ;D ;D

:cheers:

Carl
Cheers
Carl

200 Series Land Cruiser TTD V8,  Complete Campsite Hard Floor Fraser

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 12:15:29 PM »
I originally bought a dual cab rodeo as back then we didn’t have kids as the ute was great for camping/fishing up the beach. When packing up just throw everything in the back of the ute and when home give the back a quick hose out.

Now we have kids and a camper trailer I wasn’t confident with the Rodeo pulling the trailer up the beach. Both myself and my wife always liked Landcruisers and haven’t regretted the change especially with the extra torque and comfort.

Now don’t feel nervous going through tough patches of soft sand for the fear of getting bogged, plus the Cruiser is a lot more comfortable driving around town.

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 12:35:35 PM »
We've been a 2 car mob since we were teenagers.
I had always had the V8's/Muscle cars, and Chook Chasers, Fysh had the sedate 4 cylinders. Our family grow one by one and the VS Dunny door just wasn't up to scratch, We had a Horse float to pull, my work trailer and we were thinking of buying a camper trailer tent to upgrade from the 8 man tent.
In less than 2 years we had lost over $10K on the Commodore, Payed $17K for it, sold it for $5K
Paid $21K for the Cruiser.
A good mate had just got his hands on a 93 GXL 1HTD, I took it for a drive and I just had to have one.
Spent nearly 12 months looking for the right one.
Haven't looked back since, that was March 95.
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 12:41:05 PM »
I had a 60 Series Cruiser for about 10 years, and was fully convinced that I was the preverbial "Toyota Man", however as time rolled on the Cruiser began to require more and more maintanance (which isn't a bad thing, just a sign of its age), and it was at this time the new GU Patrol was released.  I obtained a few prices from Toyota as well as Nissan, and at the time I had a very young family and not a lot of cash, so Nissan came in cheapest by a country mile.  I ordered a new GU (not one test drive taken), and couldn't be happier almost 12 years later.  Now however the Patrol is requiring more and more maintanance, so it looks like a viscious circle may be forming.

Sold the old Cruiser to a mate who had many good years out of it.  Here's a pick of the two together not long after I changed vehicles.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 12:42:45 PM by Gunna Do »

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »
Great Photo Gunna Do

Offline rossow

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 12:59:28 PM »
We bought the Jeep Cherokee KJ because of its size.
We wanted a small 4wd capable of towing a trailer.
I was looking for a Pajero when the wife walked pasted a jeep an said "what about one of these"... the rest is history.

Rossow.

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 01:00:05 PM »
Hi,

My first 4WD was a 1994 Suzuki Sierra which I purchased in 1996 and I still have it as a second car.

Around 2004 I was looking to upgrade and was considering a Suzuki Grand Vitara, but it didn't feel right lots of boxes un ticked.

I was at Zupps looking at the Vitara's, when the salesman showed me a Mitsubishi Challenger, It just felt good, was very quite to drive, It was a little lighter than the main line 4WD's, 3 litre V6, real chassis, real 4x4 and easier on the petrol, It ticked all the boxes, I purchased a second hand 2003 Challenger with low K's.

I am very pleased with it, now with Bullbar, 50mm lift and OME shocks, coils, Cooper ATR's (the standard issue bridgestones were rubbish),  Pulls the Cub Escape well.

Ray
Green Cub Escape Off Road

Offline Sharshebelle1

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 02:06:58 PM »
Ok,  Im a female and Im going to admit something, I bought a new R51 Pathfinder for no other reason than I thought it was sexy, dont ask me why, its just my opinion ;D  . In hindsight, its probably not the best reason to buy a car, but I love it,  it pulls the Jayco well,  does ok on fuel,  the kids and any other tag alongs have plenty of room with 7 seats. I still love the look of it and touch wood, its been very reliable (Im squirming as I just wrote that). I had a landrover for a few years,  sorry to all you die hard fans, but it was the most unreliable piece of crap Id every bought. I honestly got to the point of where I contemplated pushing it off a cliff, and swore I would never buy a European car again.I went to Nissan after that and it would take a lot to make me try something else.
09 Pathfinder
2010 Jayco Eagle Outback.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 02:34:57 PM »
I as a younger bloke always preferred 2 wheels, having a few Triumphs, BSA's and finally a Norton Commando.
A mate and I bought an old cruiser diesel ute which we used for many years to go pig shooting at every opportunity we got, anywhere from Booligal to Cunumulla  and everywhere in between.
Then came a handbrake and billies, and a morgage.
Now the girls have grown up a tad, one has left home, one in uni and on the verge and only one left we can start to plan and pursue our interests more seriously.
Hence the Prado purchase a few weeks ago.
Now for a few mods and the hire of a few camper trailers, then a purchase and off we go.
I like a bit of stability and a place called home, but if the handbrake had her way we would sell absolutely everything we own and just hit the road.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 03:10:13 PM »
I grew up in the back of my dad's Datsun Nissan 60/G60. Soft top, hard springs. There were no seats in the back, just the steel wheel arches to sit on.

My mate purchased a 100 series in 1998, I had a sporty Subaru at the time and had a B4 on order, but Subaru could never deliver them. I borrowed his 100 for a onth whilst he went overseas and had to have a 4wby.

At the time I didn't think I could afford a Toyota and was going Mitsubishi. I was driving to order my Pajero when I drove past the Toyota dealer having a sale. Made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Have had several 100s since, they fit my lifestyle, expe3ctations and self image.

Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 03:39:54 PM »
Ok,  Im a female and Im going to admit something, I bought a new R51 Pathfinder for no other reason than I thought it was sexy, dont ask me why, its just my opinion ;D  . In hindsight, its probably not the best reason to buy a car, but I love it,  it pulls the Jayco well,  does ok on fuel,  the kids and any other tag alongs have plenty of room with 7 seats. I still love the look of it and touch wood, its been very reliable (Im squirming as I just wrote that). I had a landrover for a few years,  sorry to all you die hard fans, but it was the most unreliable piece of crap Id every bought. I honestly got to the point of where I contemplated pushing it off a cliff, and swore I would never buy a European car again.I went to Nissan after that and it would take a lot to make me try something else.

He he..... being another female I sooo get where you are coming from....I originally bought my jeep when they ran the add with the horses d...d....d...dddhhhhaaaa (and there was a sexy guy with a tuxedo on getting out of it.)

Offline seajay

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 04:32:48 PM »
I have been a Toyota man having owned Troopy and 2 Hilux's but when the time come to upgrading the dual cab to something a bit more roomy for the family. I am now the proud owner of a 2004 gu patrol didnt think that would ever happen but in the end more bang for my buck with the patrol than either the cruiser or prado.

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2010, 04:37:35 PM »
I'm not sure why I bought ANY 4wd to be honest! At the time ('98) I had no need for one, I was just sick of my 330,000km-old Celica  :-[ Was looking at a new drive, and had just done the "tree change", so got a Prado just to fit in.... ;D

260,000 km later, and I LOOOOVE it! It now tows my garden 7x5 trailer, my R/C planes trailer, lugs me and my paragliding buddies up numerous dirt mountain tracks, takes me skiing, and now is also my campertrailer dragger (plus had a 2000kg boat there for a while). I now wouldn't/couldn't be without my 4by!

I am a bit of a "Toyota guy", having put nearly 600,000 km on my last 2 with no real glitches. If I ever have to part with the ol' faithful Prado though, I'd probably go to a dual cab of some sort so I can mess up the back more, and increase towing capacity to 3 tonne (caravan inevitable one day...)

If I win tattslotto, I could be swayed to a Disco or Rangey, otherwise a Jap Diesel most likely.

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 04:44:05 PM »
Has the jeep delivered the bloke in the suit yet.Not that jeep thing again  ;D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2010, 05:44:12 PM »
Has the jeep delivered the bloke in the suit yet.Not that jeep thing again  ;D

No No Speewa it hasn't :'( 

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2010, 06:23:42 PM »
I used to run Toranas ,as my prefered rig . the sad thing was that things fell of  or got bent .The Pajero NA came out followed by the NB highroof . What a wagon it took me diving all along the Vic coast , through the high country , & even Cape York in 89 , Replaced that with a NH 3L wagon , then later a NL 3.5L wagon . Each of these coIIected  about 200K  on the clock then upgrade  Now a NS oiler wagon they just keep getting better . My Paj  go where there pointed evern if they dont want to go . I convince them. Love that car .  Really beats walking    :cheers:

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »
We bought our Navara because it is the 3rd one we have owned and the 4th Nissan.
We never had a bit of trouble (outside normal maintenance) with any of them.
We figured why not see if we could keep the streak going.
Oh and it was a factory run out that we got a very good deal on  ;D That didnt hurt the decision making either...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 07:26:39 PM »
Hi,
  Landrover D130 cab chassis did it for me.

Looked at
  • Mr T, tare 2045kg, load 1285kg, max 1908mm overhang behind the rear axle.
  • Mr N, tare 1997kg, load 1153kg, max 1782mm overhang behind the rear axle.
  • Mr R, tare 1723kg, load 1777kg, max 1936mm overhang behind the rear axle.

Needing a vehicle to carry a slide on camper, the numbers made the decision.

Now I just have to put up with landrover jokes.

cheers

Offline Followme1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Follow Me Campers
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »
Have had a 4wd for about 14 yrs had a GQ modified then a MQ toy over the top modified then the wife has a GU stock and now I have a F 250 for towing
http://www.followmecampers.com.au

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 07:43:52 PM »
Austastar Isant Landrover the joke . ?  ;D

Offline WogsRus

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 08:45:48 PM »
well simple, got in trouble with the R33 a LOT with the law, couldn't drive it without getting into trouble.

So sold that

Got a 2007 Paj for a bargain price, never looked back. It has broght the family together as we tend to do a lot more outdorsy stuff now.

MIND you, still manage to get in trouble with the law. LOL.
HAD 2007 NS GLX Pajero, 3.8L grunt, ex Cop,

NOW 50th Anniversary Simpson Edition Poootrol wit some fruit

"Speed doesn't kill. It's the sudden stop at the end"
"Live everyday as if it was your last, and some day it will"

Offline Murray

• Swag User
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 09:01:37 PM »
I just might jump in on this and tell my story. Like everyone here, my wife and love camping and in a past life - pre children - we were camped on North Stradbroke Island at Adder Rock only to see LOTS of 4x4s come and go. Having never been beach driving we wondered about beach camping. Enter 4x4 #1. A Toyota Tercel - it wasn't really a 4x4 and was hard work on the beach. After a trip to Fraser Is we sold it and bought a Mitsubishi L200 ute. The tray back gave us lots of space to load up supplies and go away for weeks. Enter son number 1 and out goes the ute, enters a Subaru. We took that a lot of places we shouldn't have, but still enjoyed it. Great city car, great on the highway and "interesting" in the rough stuff - especially Moreton Island.

When son number 2 was old enough we bought an early model 1990 Jackaroo - the DLX model, with power steer and air con: pure luxury. I jest of course. We bought it to take to the islands knowing it would rust. Couldn't kill it, but it did die of old age. We went 4 years without a 4x4 and constantly talked about the places we couldn't go. A few years ago we bought a 99 Pajero. My wife's stipulations were: air con, power windows and cruise control. You would believe she was a country girl - gone soft I tell her. I buy older, low milage 4x4s so I don't get upset when I scratch them. We both really like the Pajeros. A nice compromise for city driving and does all we expect of it off road. It pulls the camper without complaining and gets fair fuel economy. This one will do for a few more years and then the next one will probably be a diesel Pajero.

My eldest brother, who has been a Toyota man all his life, bought a Kia Sorrento when he retired. Earlier this year he pulled a small caravan up the Gibb River Road and into places I had to see the photos to believe. I am not sure it will still be holding together if he keeps doing that to it, but he did the trip and the only damage was blown rear shocks. Hmmm Kia hey?

Cheers
Murray