Author Topic: Ray's Outdoors......No More Discounts  (Read 33308 times)

Offline MarkandLea

• Sleeping Bag User
Re: Ray's Outdoors......No More Discounts
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2013, 10:57:12 PM »
I sent off my email the other day. And got back the standard form response. My email was along the same lines as what everyone else sent but with a few little add ons.

I really hate that for one company group I need a different card for each business. My wallet can not handle much more. Give me the option to not have a card and let me store it on my phone. Also added a bitch about the over inflated prices, lack of real knowledge and service. So I will be off to support the independent stores 100% now not the 70-80% I have been in the past.

Now this is the next response I got tonight.

"Thanks for your feedback on the Ray’s Rewards program. We based the new program off of the VIP program was a 6.5% discount on full priced purchases and we have set an expiry period of 90 days which we believe was a suitable timeframe when compared to other programs in the market.   

Even though we have many brands in the Super Retail Group we consider each brands relationship with it’s customer to be unique and our customers should have a connection with the brand in which they shop not the Super Retail Group. We are also looking at a smart phone app and plan to soon have it available for our members.

I am disappointed to hear your feedback on our levels of service and our pricing and we are always interested in hearing examples of where we can improve in these areas.

We feel that Ray’s Rewards is a great platform in which we can greater reward loyal Ray’s Outdoors customers. The new program has enabled us to bring new benefits such as receipt free warranty along with the credit program and we look forward to soon introducing some more new benefits to the program in the future.

We have carefully considered our change to our program and believe that we have a program now that can grow and provide class leading benefits in the Outdoors Industry. We take on board your feedback and hope that you’ll still consider Ray’s Outdoors in the future.

Regards,

Jason Wolff
Marketing Manager - Ray's Outdoors
/// Ray's Outdoors
751 Gympie Rd| Lawnton QLD 4501
PO Box 344 | Strathpine QLD 4500
P: 07 3482 7445 | E: jasonw@superretailgroup.com.au
www.raysoutdoors.com.au"

I might need another drink before I give a email response.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #76 on: July 10, 2013, 11:01:54 PM »
Quote from: Kit_e_kat9
If that isn't Big Business saying "oh ... whatever ... *rudeword* customers   ::)" I don't know what is.  Eat My Shorts Ray
you asked to be removed, they removed you ??? ???

3 pages back we achieved the realization that the company has done their figures and losing a few customers wont mean Shit to them...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline TheTaylors

• Swag User
  • In for a penny...
« Reply #77 on: July 10, 2013, 11:10:50 PM »

I really hate that for one company group I need a different card for each business. My wallet can not handle much more. Give me the option to not have a card and let me store it on my phone.

Off topic, but addressing the different cards for all the loyalty programs, I have just found out about the 'stocard' app, might be for android as well. You can scan all your loyalty cards onto your phone and then when purchasing from the store, just hold up your phone. A friend recommended this to me, she has been using it successfully.
I just downloaded it and have stored 8 cards on it - wallet a lot lighter now!!
2009 GXL prado and a Red Rock Camper

nbd73

« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2013, 04:03:43 AM »
Rewards cards: every retail outlet seems to have them these days. I would have thought a combination of competitve pricing, thorough product knowledge, good PR skills and quality after sales service would be sufficient to keep customers coming back. Whilst there is obviously more to running a successful business than just those things it would be a good basis to start from. Regular, genuine sales could the "reward" as regular customers would be aware of them.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #79 on: July 11, 2013, 09:17:57 AM »
Quote from: MarkandLea
Jason Wolff
Marketing Manager - Ray's Outdoors
/// Ray's Outdoors
751 Gympie Rd| Lawnton QLD 4501
PO Box 344 | Strathpine QLD 4500
P: 07 3482 7445 | E: jasonw@superretailgroup.com.au
everyone on every forum needs to flood this bloke with 90 days is bull****, it should be endless.
they know people dont need more **** in 90 days thus why they are doing it. but unless theres 500 a day for a few months, nothign will change.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2013, 10:11:58 AM »
Looking at the Coleman HWOD

rays $399

Tentworld $340 deliveried for value pack, which included Shower, bag, gas hose etc

$60 more at Rays & that doesn't included value pack at Rays, so they're far from cheap

Last week in Exmouth they had them for $299.  Not bad for being far from anywhere. But I don't think that came with a bag.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2013, 10:34:46 AM »
Off topic, but addressing the different cards for all the loyalty programs, I have just found out about the 'stocard' app, might be for android as well. You can scan all your loyalty cards onto your phone and then when purchasing from the store, just hold up your phone. A friend recommended this to me, she has been using it successfully.
I just downloaded it and have stored 8 cards on it - wallet a lot lighter now!!

Yep Android app works fine.
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

BernieS

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2013, 11:29:12 AM »
Ha Ha Ha ...

If that isn't Big Business saying "oh ... whatever ... *rudeword* customers   ::)" I don't know what is.  Eat My Shorts Ray!

I've recycled the card and asked my partner to do the same for reasons previously mentioned.  I'd suggest that perhaps my "tone" as well as many others have sparked the "rethink" of the mass emails "tone". 

I am NEVER going back there.  I haven't stepped foot in BCF or Anaconda for ages (except for comparison reasons).  Ray's was one place I enjoyed going even if it was out of my way to do so ... at least their staff acknowledged you were there ... but not any longer.

I'm off to my most favourite camping store of all ... DUC (which are located to the RHS of Trackabout in Slacks Creek if anyone needs a good store)!  I have also found Uptons @ Brown Stains to be extremely helpful as well.  I like both, even if the stores aren't flashy and stocked with 2 gazillion products ... they are locally owned, open and online, and willing to assist my every camping desire where possible.   :cup:

Bring back the Little Bloke ...

Kit_e 

P.S.  Thanks Socks  ;D

Agreed Kit_e. DUC is a great store. Called in there on the way home from Lifestyle Campers (which is also just around the corner) on Saturday. Got a SS Stove Top kettle for $9.95. The same kettle is about $20 in BCF.
Got our porta loo there a while back as well. We only go to Anaconda when there's a sale. Hubby picked up two pairs of hiking boots for $30. Both were reduced from around $150 each. The sale items are always better at the Northside Store. There wasn't much of interest to us at the Logan store other then the Rod holder we bought for $10. 

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2013, 12:11:26 PM »
I only go to Ray's etc when they have xx% off, and then only if cheaper than others, which it is not most of the time.
When researching anything I need I most always end up at Van Cruiser, in Frankston Dandy Rd, Carrum. Friendly one on one service as soon as you walk in their door, and they are camping people.
Do gas refills etc as well

http://www.vancruiser.com.au/

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2013, 06:17:31 PM »
I don't shop there but he now has a link to this thread.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2013, 09:25:22 PM »
I don't shop there but he now has a link to this thread.
??
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline kiwipride

• Soft Floor Camper User
Ray's Outdoors......No More Discounts
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2013, 09:49:31 PM »

Yep Android app works fine.
X2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
My plan is to live forever......so far, so good!

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2013, 06:13:46 AM »
??

I wrote him an email also, and included a link to his thread. Who knows, he may be interested.

:cheers:
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline _Gecko_

• Tent User
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2013, 01:25:18 AM »
Just to add on this.
The website still says you get flat 6.5% discount for members.
When was the new plan happening?
http://m.raysoutdoors.com.au/Club
Gecko
*XF Panelvan, Home Built Trailer, a Tent and my Girl. Living on the road since Feb 2013. So far we have driven Tas/Vic/Nsw, done over 10 000km's and counting.

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #89 on: October 24, 2013, 05:46:06 AM »
Probably about July mate.. If you go to the full site and click join it outlines that you don't receive 6.5% off anymore! you get 10 % credit of full priced items. I reckon they have lost sales over this...

Offline Vk3bq

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Like Cheese..
    • WispyThreads
« Reply #90 on: October 24, 2013, 06:48:14 AM »
I haven't been into rays since this changed :)). I voted with my feet
-- 2012 Prado D4D  --  '05 OutbackCamper  --  VK3BQ  --  HFRadioClub Selcal 0172  --  VKS737 Selcal 0172 --
http://www.vk3bq.com/

scarps

Ray's Outdoors......No More Discounts
« Reply #91 on: October 24, 2013, 07:01:46 AM »
With online shopping and everyday sales, I don't get out of the car for 6.5%. Last time I went there it was for one of their VIP sales and found the range to be pretty generic with brands I've never heard of before, struggled to find anything new or interesting to buy. (That could be because my garage is it's own RaysAnnacondaBCF store all rolled into one).

These days I seek out the independant camping fishing shops with good old fashioned owners and service. My favorite one is Northern Camping Fishing in Epping, followed by Cobram Outdoors in north Vic, as I can still find something to buy that I need(haven't got, or forgotten that I do already have one:-))

I also dropped into the big camping store in Coff's Harbour yesterday (next to Australia's biggest tackle shop), and bought 2 new camp chairs (can't remember where in the garage I put the old ones:-).

Offline Oddy

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Odyssey XR Owner
« Reply #92 on: October 24, 2013, 09:11:29 AM »
As your alternative to Ray's etc, for Brisbane northside and westside, I recommend Enoggera Camping, 100 Pickering St. (near intersection of Samford and South Pine roads).  Old style narrow corridors, stacked to the rafters with excellent prices and service. They sell on-line too, although I haven't tried it (I like wandering through the store!). Family business since 1997, but I have no association other than as a customer.  http://enoggeracamping.com.au.

Cheers
Oddy

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #93 on: October 24, 2013, 11:24:48 AM »
Just got back from masters, bought some weber q stuff and they beat rays outdoors prices by 10% Rays had 10% off all weber stuff..... So at the end if the day I got about 20% off at masters just by using their 10% price guarantee.

:cheers:

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2013, 12:05:58 PM »
Quote from: Vk3bq
I haven't been into rays since this changed :)). I voted with my feet
I went in week ago for 1x 2.75mtr adujstable tent pole - they had some cheap goldy coloured rubbish I bent looking at it...
Annaconda they only alloy $50.00 each..
Bunnings $12 from memory for a normal silver 2.75.....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2013, 12:19:17 PM »
Quote from: _Gecko_
Just to add on this.
The website still says you get flat 6.5% discount for members.
When was the new plan happening?
http://m.raysoutdoors.com.au/Club

The fine print in the bottom left (on a PC its .4 font size) which looks like a blur...

Member Benefits

By signing up as a VIP member you're ensuring you get the best price every time!
 •Get 6.5% off most products
 •Access to exclusive e-catalogue

Why Register?

We won't force you to register as a member through our online checkout. We want your shopping experience to be fast,safe and painless. However there are many great benefits of registering your details.

Registering as a member on the Rays Outdoors Online Store website enables you to fast-track any orders you make by pre-filling information for you once you have logged in.

As a registered member you can also:
 •Rate and review products
 •Create wishlists
 •Receive special promotions information such as email newsletters - tailored to your interests!
 •receive special offers including coupons
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2013, 01:06:01 PM »
With online shopping and everyday sales, I don't get out of the car for 6.5%. Last time I went there it was for one of their VIP sales and found the range to be pretty generic with brands I've never heard of before, struggled to find anything new or interesting to buy. (That could be because my garage is it's own RaysAnnacondaBCF store all rolled into one).

These days I seek out the independant camping fishing shops with good old fashioned owners and service. My favorite one is Northern Camping Fishing in Epping, followed by Cobram Outdoors in north Vic, as I can still find something to buy that I need(haven't got, or forgotten that I do already have one:-))

I also dropped into the big camping store in Coff's Harbour yesterday (next to Australia's biggest tackle shop), and bought 2 new camp chairs (can't remember where in the garage I put the old ones:-).

Cobram Outdoors are great they have helpful staff and a pretty good range.  I don't go into Ray's much anymore either.

Offline BobT

• Tent User
    • bobtrlin
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2013, 09:34:18 PM »
I don't know what all the whinging's about.  It's not as though those stores ever had anything of quality worth buying anyway.  Vote with your feet!  They will get the message.
BobT

scarps

« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2013, 05:23:56 AM »

I don't know what all the whinging's about.  It's not as though those stores ever had anything of quality worth buying anyway.  Vote with your feet!  They will get the message.
The problem is an old story in that the big corporate and franchise retailers have driven the smaller independants out of business and now we're stuck with the big boring guys with predominantly their own brand import range and staff that just turn up for their shift. After they've been open for a while noone seems to keep them up to standard. Products on display with no prices, only range what their HO tells them, dirty floors, and empty shelves.
My congrats to the independants that were smart enough to adapt and survive coz you're right Bob, people will vote with their feet and the days of Anaconda, Rays and BCF will come further into question as their corporate owners and shareholders demand their $ return.
I'm sure everyone's needs are different and I do now have most of my gear, but can't say in the last 2 years that I've walked out of any of the above 3 and said "wow, wasn't that a great shop?"
Whereas the Coffs and Cobram stores etc continue to impress and get my hard earned.

Offline 02-SR5

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #99 on: October 25, 2013, 06:41:55 AM »
As your alternative to Ray's etc, for Brisbane northside and westside, I recommend Enoggera Camping, 100 Pickering St. (near intersection of Samford and South Pine roads).  Old style narrow corridors, stacked to the rafters with excellent prices and service. They sell on-line too, although I haven't tried it (I like wandering through the store!). Family business since 1997, but I have no association other than as a customer.  http://enoggeracamping.com.au.

Cheers
Oddy

X2 on these guys. They only sell quality gear.
2011 Challenger with some mods

2012 Lifestyle Explorer