Author Topic: taking plunge and finally buying a CT......  (Read 3609 times)

Offline Mako

• Tent User
taking plunge and finally buying a CT......
« on: July 07, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »

hey guys,
               So the mrs is a keen as I am to finally buy our first CT. Now comes the painful, yet fun, experience of looking for the right one that fits into our budget.........

TRU BLU campers are just down the road from us and I think are very well built, but expensive, and a bit/very beyond the budget at the moment.

also checked out outback campers yesterday too, their tents are all made on site and are very high quality, but, and I could be wrong and am open to correction, i'm pretty sure they import their trailers. there's nothing wrong with that, I just think that they were over priced for what they were

then we dragged out all the info that we got from the last caravan and camping show and holy crap did we go nuts on info and pamphlets, so many bloddy choices.......

so when you need advice you turn to the people in the know, you guys.....

we are on a budget and am not opposed to buying an import if the quality stacks up but with so many out there I was hoping that a few swaggers would be able to point us in the right direction of which ones to definitely stay clear of and the ones worth taking a look at?????

cheers
89 GQ diesel patrol........ Dual batts, snorkel, munroe gas magnums with 40mm HD king springs and of course a fridge......

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
Re: taking plunge and finally buying a CT......
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 07:39:20 AM »
How much do you want to spend?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Mako

• Tent User
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 07:55:03 AM »

The wife reckon $5000, I think a little more, but it will ultimately come down to value for $$$$$......
89 GQ diesel patrol........ Dual batts, snorkel, munroe gas magnums with 40mm HD king springs and of course a fridge......

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 07:59:50 AM »
OK then, start by writing a list of the features that are must haves vs nice to haves.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline 4.2_simo

• Sleeping Bag User
taking plunge and finally buying a CT......
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 08:02:56 AM »
Just to clarify as far as I know outback campers in carrum downs either build there own trailers or use a local mob, but they don't import them.
I know quite a few people that have owned tru blu and outback campers over the years and both are of extremely high standards, locally made, and after sales support is great.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 08:14:21 AM »
The Outback Campers trailers are made locally.  Yes they are expensive, but they are high quality, no nonsense bullet proof camper.
We had one from the inlaws and it had done 4 trips around Oz (everything except the CSR) and was still going strong.  The inlaws missed it that much they picked up another one earlier this year.  A mint 02 model from CUB campers in NSW, $4,200 delivered to Melbourne!

5-$7K will get you a pretty decent 2nd hand camper, there are heaps for sale.  There are alot that have been on the market for a while, so try looking above your budget and haggle , you'll be suprised.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 08:33:36 AM »
Mako  ln the range your looking it sounds like Preloned is the go . Lots more bang for your buck . Really a great way to start because what ever you start with as you progress with CTs your needs might change  .   :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 09:05:53 PM »
I can confirm that "outback campers " build their trailers on the same premises as all the canvas work is done. Make a list of the wants and needs and go back and talk to Jimmy (the real boss), he might be able to do a basic package that can be added to later  :cheers:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Mako

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 09:42:25 PM »
ok,
    so been doing some research and looking around..... ive been basically looking for a blank canvas on which to build my own "masterpiece" as it were. I did go and check out ezy-trail campers in kilsyth and well, to be honest, they looked like they had been welded by my 8 month old while drunk......

checked out southern cross, excellent stuff but way over our budget, but was great for a look.....

also checked out dingo campers in dandenong, trailers made on site with imported trekmaster tents, I rate the trailers and the tents honestly seemed pretty good too, the let down was the salesman, aside from the first words out of his mouth being "tru blu campers are complete Shit and the boss is about to sack all his workers in 3 weeks because they cant sell their rubbish" he wouldn't give me a price on anything when I asked, his only response was "how much you wanna spend" and when I wouldn't tell him he completely blew us off and went inside..... I managed to get one price off him for a blank/very basic "off-road model
 for "oh yeah about $7500" but when I got home and looked at their website it was advertised for $6400!!!!!

so in other words looking at second hand preferably aussie built trailers, have a few leads from this forum......

Marschy

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 10:23:03 PM »
I'm going to throw my opinion in here as an ezy-trail 'owner'.

Ezy-trail welds critique.

Are the welds the tidiest I've seen - no.
Do I think the welds have good penetration and fit for purpose - yes.
Do I think that the welds could be graded as poorly as worse than a drunk 8 month old could produce - this comment just insults my intelligence.
Do I have any experience with welding - yes, been stick welding for over 30 years, not a professional by any means, but without the aid of an xray machine can judge for myself a quality weld.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2013, 10:27:18 PM »
Quote from: Mako
also checked out dingo campers in dandenong
... the let down was the salesman, aside from the first words out of his mouth being "tru blu campers are complete **** and the boss is about to sack all his workers in 3 weeks because they cant sell their rubbish" he wouldn't give me a price on anything when I asked, his only response was "how much you wanna spend" and when I wouldn't tell him he completely blew us off and went inside...
Its a days entertainment in itself visiting Dingo... the dude must still be speeding off his tits from the 60's, speaks 52039820349802394023984 words a minute, and did the exact same with Timbo when he started lookin at trailers.
Was it the father or the son? the son was getting married in 4 hours the day we were there... he was welding Shit together as we walked thru....
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Mako

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2013, 10:32:25 PM »
I can only go off the display models that they had set up, chassis welds seemed fine but the rest, mainly around draw bar seemed half heartedly finished, again this is what I saw on the models displayed on the showroom floor, I did not say anything toward anyone who bought or owned one......

It was the dad that showed us trough, the mum answered the door, the son took us round the back and the dad sent us packing.....

Marschy

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:53:01 PM »
Why did the father send you packing? It sounds as though you have an axe to grind!!!!

Offline Mako

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 11:04:28 PM »
Nah mate no axe, he wouldn't give us prices on his trailers and went off on really weird tangents not to do with anything that was relevant to trying to sell us a camper, which is a shame because he seemed to have a decent product behind him to sell.....

Basically wanted nothing to do with us when we wouldn't give him an exact figure on what we were willing to spend, walked us to the front of the showroom and said "see ya" and just walked inside and closed the door.....

We are only one of many that have had the same experience there, according to people on other forums, the son knew his stuff and lots of others have said that they just went back and asked to deal with the mum....

So no axe, was just a disappointing and unpleasant experience