Author Topic: To Pajero or not to Pajero...  (Read 31180 times)

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: To Pajero or not to Pajero...
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »
Another question, as far as 4wd goes, is an auto Pajero okay? We have only ever had manual 4wds & I hadn't even considered an auto, but it seems a lot of the Pajeros are auto???
2007 Holden Rodeo with 2012 Jayco Swan Outback :)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2012, 11:41:26 AM »
Auto is better for 90% of 4wding situations.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »

x2,

And you get to sit back and enjoy the view, concentrate on driving  and not worry about changing gears.

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »
Wow, really? What about if you get bogged? I thought the sales guy was just spinning me stuff to make the sale..

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2012, 12:00:37 PM »
We have the manual and it is the other 10% of off roading where the manual makes a difference to getting bogged or not  >:D

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2012, 12:24:51 PM »
If there are 'deals' on Pajeros, there might be 'deals' with other tow cars, too.. have you checked/compared the towing specs of the Pajero (and other tow rigs such a Prado) and with your Swan's towball load?

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2012, 03:05:41 PM »
http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=21684.msg336511#msg336511

:cheers:

Thanks for the link :)
We have the manual and it is the other 10% of off roading where the manual makes a difference to getting bogged or not  >:D

Yeah and knowing our luck it would be us in that 10%!
If there are 'deals' on Pajeros, there might be 'deals' with other tow cars, too.. have you checked/compared the towing specs of the Pajero (and other tow rigs such a Prado) and with your Swan's towball load?

Yeah the Pajero is certainly the best value for money for us, and more in our price range.

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »
The Platinum comes with side steps and towbar as standard (you mentioned earlier about these things) plus a lot more extras like rear camera etc etc

They can tow 3T and the Prado only 2.5T
2012 MAZDA BT50 GT AND 2010 OUTBACK EXPANDA

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2012, 03:32:29 PM »

Really? The only place I can think a manual could possibly be better is going down big hills. A diesel and left foot braking typically fixes that in an auto.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Offroad 4x4 Accessories

• Tent User
To Pajero or not to Pajero...
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »
We have a 2008 pajero auto and I think it's great. I wouldn't worry to much about the side steps as they bend when you park them on a big rock( a bit like ALL factory steps) I just replace my banana shape ones last week with some sliders. I must say the only time that the manual would of been better is on a long steep down hill section of track. We have now done over 100 thousand in our

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2012, 04:47:42 PM »
We have a 2008 pajero auto and I think it's great. I wouldn't worry to much about the side steps as they bend when you park them on a big rock( a bit like ALL factory steps) I just replace my banana shape ones last week with some sliders. I must say the only time that the manual would of been better is on a long steep down hill section of track. We have now done over 100 thousand in our
lol I need the sidesteps otherwise I cant get into the car, Im a bit on the short side ;)
The Platinum comes with side steps and towbar as standard (you mentioned earlier about these things) plus a lot more extras like rear camera etc etc

Really standard towball? Weird the sales guy didnt know that.

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2012, 04:57:22 PM »
Go with the auto, not sure were the 10% of the times a manual would be better are, as you can still use the auton as a manual.
If you do any sand driving you would never go back to a manual.

Trevor

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2012, 06:15:15 PM »
You wont go wrong with a Pajero.  The only thing is they are a very very old model now and will lose tonnes of value when the new one comes out.

Then again I have been saying this for about 2 years now.  Maybe they will just keep making it  ;D

Only downside is the rear tyres can wear when towing if not setup correctly.  There are plenty of owners on here that could point you to the right direction.

have fun
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2012, 07:45:00 PM »

There is a little more to it than that... when considering Pajero, it's a good idea to check the tow ball load etc and make sure it is compatible with the c/van

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline Eureka

• Swag User
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 11:32:06 AM »
Platnium or 'included'  towbar is the min spec 1600kg (ie, box trailer) one. Not good for recovery work . Not to be trusted for off road trailer towing.
3 tonne tow load is more than the GVM of the vehicle, and 10% tow ball mass means the car is fully loaded with just that trailer - ie, no room for clothes, kids, food - BEER!
7 seater means no room for left for water or extra fuel tanks.
 Side steps are for Toorak use, so the ladies dont flash when they get in when wearing their LBDs, unless they want to of course. The side steps should be seen as sacrificial, their mount point is not strong enough to take much more stress any way. (remember - no real chassis on these models) .

DID models and the auto  is the way to go. Modern 4WD autos dont just free wheel when going down hill like the old  ones used to, so they are better than manuals in most situations. Unless you do rock hopping (not a Paj or any other IRS 4WD strong point) or bog hole running every 2nd weekend, the auto is best. For towing  , holiday traffic stop start, sand and slippery surface work, autos have always been better suited. Down hill engine braking only is where manuals used to be best, but with ABS and unpracticed 4wd skills being more common these days, even that is no longer the case.

Options on the used model adds about $10K in 'supply and fit' costs, and the asking price is just that, argue them down.

If it was me, I would go new and minimum options, the dealer stuff is usually mid to low quality stuff and you get stuff included you dont need or want. Options I would go for are rear view camera, rear park sensers, dash GPS , but only if it can take HEMA off road data updates, rear DVD player if you have kids, cargo barrier ( seen one save a life in a roll over because it acted as an internal roll bar), rear diff lock . Non factory options I would fit - front and rear springs upgraded, snorkel, front and rear bars ( front alloy, rear steel ) , rated recovery hooks front and rear, bigger transmission cooler, off road tyres. I prefer to carry a hand winch rather than an electric one - sort of calms the eagerness a bit knowing if I get stuck I have to do a lot of physical work to get unstuck!
Last bit would be to get the camber of the rear end fixed. That is still an issue if one is loaded up a bit all the time ( the gear above will put 100Kgs into the car  by them selves)
 I would be saying the same if the tug proposed was a Prado, BT50, triton .
If life is stranger than you think, then it means you need to let your imagination off the leash more.

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »
Really? The only place I can think a manual could possibly be better is going down big hills. A diesel and left foot braking typically fixes that in an auto.

Also given that a lot of vehicles these days come with down hill assist for the really slow stuff, it is even less of an issue. Iwould think that the 10% would actually only be about 0.5%..........and I have just come from a manual into my first auto :)
Cheers, Craig

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »
The side steps should be seen as sacrificial, their mount point is not strong enough to take much more stress any way. (remember - no real chassis on these models) .

You can however get sliders that can be used like steps that are strong enough - they mount to the rails running under the vehicle.  Like these http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=23_24_84&products_id=29.

I have a manual paj, but I'd be tempted by an auto next time (and I prefer driving a manual).  The autos have a great reputation, and match to the diesel very well.  The paj is a very capable 4wd / tourer.  It will do anything that the others will do unless you are into serious rock hopping (the sort that requires a heavily modded and lifted vehicle) as the independent suspension limits travel too much.  But on road, the independent suspension gives excellent ride and handling.  Mine has crossed the Simpson desert no problem, climbed rocky tracks in the Flinders and done several trips towing camper trailer on some very ordinary roads.  I'd get another no problem.
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline rotare

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2012, 12:20:40 PM »
Auto is better for 90% of 4wding situations

Agree. After owning a couple of manual 4wds, then a couple of diesel autos with the most recent being a NP Pajero, I would never buy a manual again.  Any deficiencies of an auto gearbox have almost been eliminated by the incorporation of electronic aids, plus with the triptronic style gearbox you can have more control over the gear selection, if you're that way inclined.  Not forgetting also most autos are coming out with 5 or 6 gears.

That's only if you want to fold the seats back in the seat well when not in use.  We always remove the 6/7 bench seat when not needed, and have a LPG tank located in the well (my rig runs diesel and LPG), and there is also enough space left over to store recovery equipment in there along with a compressor and tools. Some guys on the Pajero forum have fitted long range fuel tanks and water tanks in the rear seat wells.

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2012, 10:19:06 PM »
Platnium or 'included'  towbar is the min spec 1600kg (ie, box trailer) one. Not good for recovery work . Not to be trusted for off road trailer towing.
3 tonne tow load is more than the GVM of the vehicle, and 10% tow ball mass means the car is fully loaded with just that trailer - ie, no room for clothes, kids, food - BEER!
 Side steps are for Toorak use, so the ladies dont flash when they get in when wearing their LBDs, unless they want to of course. The side steps should be seen as sacrificial, their mount point is not strong enough to take much more stress any way. (remember - no real chassis on these models) .

If it was me, I would go new and minimum options, the dealer stuff is usually mid to low quality stuff and you get stuff included you dont need or want. Options I would go for are rear view camera, rear park sensers, dash GPS , but only if it can take HEMA off road data updates, rear DVD player if you have kids, cargo barrier ( seen one save a life in a roll over because it acted as an internal roll bar), rear diff lock . Non factory options I would fit - front and rear springs upgraded, snorkel, front and rear bars ( front alloy, rear steel ) , rated recovery hooks front and rear, bigger transmission cooler, off road tyres.

3T towbar comes with the Platinum not the 1600kg as you mentioned.

3T towing doesn't put it over the GVM as Gross Vehicle Mass  is around 3030kg which is a loaded vehicle weight only and doesn't  include a trailer.

GCM is vehicle and trailer combined which is 6030kg for a auto T/D Pajero

The extras you mentioned like reverse camera etc are std on the Platinum plus a lot more too, it makes it good value really imo.

Good luck with your decision Sicilianmama, go take one for a drive and let us know what you think.

And no I don't have any affiliation with Mitsubishi

« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 10:20:55 PM by cruza driver »

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2012, 11:30:35 PM »
3T towbar comes with the Platinum not the 1600kg as you mentioned.

3T towing doesn't put it over the GVM as Gross Vehicle Mass  is around 3030kg which is a loaded vehicle weight only and doesn't  include a trailer.

GCM is vehicle and trailer combined which is 6030kg for a auto T/D Pajero

The extras you mentioned like reverse camera etc are std on the Platinum plus a lot more too, it makes it good value really imo.

Good luck with your decision Sicilianmama, go take one for a drive and let us know what you think.

And no I don't have any affiliation with Mitsubishi

Thanks but where did you find that platinum info? On the Mitsubishi website I'm not getting that same info? Maybe it's different in Qld?

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2012, 07:28:49 AM »
They do run different specials in different States. Try putting your location in as Vic.

Trevor

Offline Sicilianmama

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2012, 08:20:54 AM »
They do run different specials in different States. Try putting your location in as Vic.

Trevor
Dang it, yep that's it, no tow bar here :(

Offline cruza driver

• ''Custom User Title''
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2012, 07:32:07 PM »
Thats a shame Sicilianmama maybe ring the Mitsy dealers and see what they can do? No harm in asking.

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2012, 07:59:33 AM »
Towing 3 ton on models from NT onward,  ball weight 0 to 2.5 ton max 250kg on ball, 2.5 ton to 3 ton max 180kg on ball ( show me a 3 ton trailer with only 180kg ball weight)

Auto: is awesome especially the tiptronic when towing

7 seats: easily  removed, make for extra storage under floor

Long Range Tank: easily installed on most models  (might be an issue on models with rear aircon)

Recommend: Spare wheel lifter, Minimum of Airbags and/or upgraded rear springs for towing.
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾