Author Topic: ARB Fridges  (Read 12779 times)

Offline mac.2830

• Learning the Ropes
ARB Fridges
« on: December 13, 2010, 08:12:48 PM »
G'day All,

I'm looking at a fridge (about 60 litres) and noticed ARB now have an extended range. I noticed some readers have had the 47l version for a bit and was wondering how they were going! Obviously I'm very interested in their longevity and performance. I have been looking around for an Engel, but these are cheaper and I believe draw less current then the Engel.

What's your opinion?

Pete

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: ARB Fridges
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 04:16:24 AM »
We've had ours for a couple of years now, with no problems at all.  It gets used as a drinks fridge for most of our weekend trips, and was used as a freezer for our month long trip to Cape York.  I can't fault anything on the fridge so far.  Love the interior light, the big easy to use latch, and the removeable lid.

Bit more earlier discussions on these fridges here:- ARB New 47l fridge
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 04:17:57 AM by Gunna Do »
The following users thanked this post: cucinadio

Offline mikew

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 06:23:45 AM »
I have had my 47lt for about 14months, stays in the car and on permanently, has yet to miss a beat.
2016 MY16 VX TTD White Landcruiser
2008 D4D Prado
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline sablesoft

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Green Cub Supamatic Escape Off Road
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 07:41:54 AM »
Hi

Our ARB 47L fridge is great, has proformed perfectly in the fridge box of our Cub Escape, survived the heat in outback QLD always right on 1C temp all the time

Strongly re comended, has a lot of well thought out features that other fridges lack.
a lot
Ray
Green Cub Escape Off Road

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 08:51:49 AM »
Anyone got prices on their expanded range, in particular the 60L?? It looks the goods based on the success stories of their 47L which has been out for a while now.

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 08:58:20 AM »
There was a write up on their line up in their last newsletter (summer 11 ), not sure if there were any prices on it.

http://www.arb.com.au/news/newsletters/au/

GG

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
    • S0LAR power charging videos
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 09:06:40 AM »
Anyone got prices on their expanded range, in particular the 60L?? It looks the goods based on the success stories of their 47L which has been out for a while now.

Would expect the 60L would have a different compressor to the 47L cabinet, therefore having a different power consumption and different cooling timeframe too

Not saying it's bad - just different, and you should compare apples with apples, don't make a decision on the 60L based on information on the 47L cabinet

Offline hairymick

• Tent User
  • 2010 Nissan Navara D22, 2005 Kimberly Escape
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2010, 09:39:23 AM »
God I love this forum. Evie and I are thinking about getting a fridge and it is threads like this one that are pure bloody gold!

Thank you.
Cheers,
Mick

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2010, 09:53:50 AM »

For information on a 65 Litre fridge with 3 year warranty check this link:   http://www.nationalluna.com/NLR65.htm

It also has a Danfoss compressor like the big Waico fridge
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:03:05 AM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 10:02:37 AM »
 ??? I thought this thread was talking about ARB fridges, and someone sticks a link to National Luna?  WTF!  ???

Check out the whole ARB fridge range available now,  these things are fantastic.

http://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-freezer-fridges/300range.php

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2010, 10:16:14 AM »
??? I thought this thread was talking about ARB fridges, and someone sticks a link to National Luna?  WTF!  ???

Check out the whole ARB fridge range available now,  these things are fantastic.

ARB fridges may very well be "fantastic" in your opinion, but then when when you buy a fridge I believe you should look at the full range available, not just only one brand.
The thing about the Nat Luna is it's small footprint with high capacity compared to most fridges available and it does use the same brand of compressor   ;D

Remember, Pete has asked: ->  " I'm looking at a fridge (about 60 litres) .............. I have been looking around for an Engel, but these are cheaper and I believe draw less current then the Engel.

What's your opinion? "

I just gave another choice and an unbiased opinion - as I don't have a Nat Luna fridge  :cheers:

Nat Luna- H 715mm x W 420mm x D 635mm

then there is the 52L fridge: http://www.nationalluna.com/weekender52.htm

H 506mm x W 385mm x D 710mm
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 11:42:25 AM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2010, 10:32:46 AM »
??? I thought this thread was talking about ARB fridges, and someone sticks a link to National Luna?  WTF!  ???

http://www.arb.com.au/products/arb-freezer-fridges/300range.php

Thanks for the linkage Gunna. I've heard good things about the 47L models from various people as an alternative to the equiv Waeco/Engel's, so I'll investigate the 60L ARB in the same manner. Cheers..

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010, 10:40:07 AM »
Mainey, once again you have quoted a portion of the original post and made a reply that is out of context. The question is what do ARB owners think of their fridges and is not asking for comparison opinion.
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010, 11:39:18 AM »
G'day All,

I'm looking at a fridge (about 60 litres) and noticed ARB now have an extended range.
I noticed some readers have had the 47l version for a bit and was wondering how they were going!
Obviously I'm very interested in their longevity and performance.
I have been looking around for an Engel, but these are cheaper and I believe draw less current then the Engel.

What's your opinion?

Pete

My own opinion would be look also at various other 50 to 60 Litre fridges that have not a plastic internal cabinet and outer case and still use the same Danfoss compressor

remember the lid can't be sat on as a stool as you can with metal fridges, as it tends to warp if treated irreverently  :'(

Pete, If you need a 60 Litre fridge ask questions of people with the 60 litre fridge, as the running time and battery draw will be very different

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2010, 12:01:12 PM »
Quote from ARB website:- ARB fridges have a durable external case which is powder coated, robust zinc steel which is designed to withstand extreme off road conditions.

I personally think the ARB fridge would suffer if stored out in the elements, such as in the back of an uncovered ute tray, however saying this, I have a friend with Bushman fridge which has spent a fair share of its life in the back of a ute, and which is similar construction as the ARB fridges, and it is still going strong.

I've also owned a 60 ltr Trailblazer fridge as well as an Autofridge, and whilst the Trailblazer is probably the most robust fridge you could buy, and would survive anything you could throw at it, the ARB fridge has the most user friendly features.

Here is a link which I discovered when I was doing my research prior to buying an ARB 47ltr fridge and was found on the "My FJ Cruiser Forum".  It gives you a good look at the fridge and its features compared to the old ARB/Engel models.  But remember this is only one persons views on the fridge also, but a good insight.

The New ARB Fridge Freezer

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:19:28 PM by Gunna Do »

Offline Maîneÿ . . .

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Watch videos below
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2010, 12:14:33 PM »

Quote from ARB website:- ARB fridges have a durable external case which is powder coated, robust zinc steel which is designed to withstand extreme off road conditions.

I personally think the ARB fridge would suffer if stored out in the elements, such as in the back of an uncovered ute tray, however saying this, I have a friend with Bushman fridge which has spent a fair share of its life in the back of a ute, and which is similar construction as the ARB fridges, and it is still going strong.

I've also owned a 60 ltr Trailblazer fridge as well as an Autofridge, and whilst the Trailblazer is probably the most robust fridge you could buy, and would survive anything you could throw at it, the ARB fridge has the most user friendly features.

Here is a link which I discovered when I was doing my research prior to buying an ARB 47ltr fridge and was found on the "My FJ Cruiser Forum".  It gives you a good look at the fridge and its features compared to the old ARB/Engel models.  But remember this is only one persons views on the fridge also, but a good insight.

The New ARB Fridge Freezer

This is a quote from the ARB fridge link supplied "There are a number of fridges using the Danfoss compressor and it has been found to be very reliable.  Two other manufactures that I have located are Waeco and EVAKOOL.  Both are recognized as leading manufactures.

Purchase of the ARB fridge should be driven by the overall construction. While some people consider plastic construction to indicate low cost and poor quality, the new plastics being used in today’s manufacturing tend to be more durable than steel and maintain a better appearance after long term use"

The new fridge is on the right with the dark blue plastic lid and case, according to the website supplied above by Gunna do, the link supplied states it IS plastic
« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 12:25:57 PM by Maîneÿ . . . »

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 12:19:32 PM »
I like the new ARB fridges, I'd have one. They're long, whereas the Engels tend to be tall so may not be a good fit for some smaller wagons.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 05:05:17 PM »
Yes it may be plastic however, from what I have seen of them it is very durable when compared to other plastic lids that are used on fridges.  

Also I had a Waeco fridge for a number of years and I used to sit on it, stand on it (given I am vertically challenged  :laugh:) and it never warped or suffered from ill effects.  

The only down side of the Waeco plastic lid was that the nodules that hinged the lid were flimsy and broke off, this issue however, is not of concern with the ARB design and in fact is a better hinged lid IMO then the Engle Fridge (which I now own).

So in short the issues with the lid warping may or may not occur with the ARB model.

:cheers:

Offline mac.2830

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 07:28:07 PM »
The costs I got yesterday were $1349 for the 60 litre (Engel in both shops locally around $1700) and $1599 for the 78 litre.

Some other stats 60 litre
Capacity: 90 375ml cans
Weight: 24.5kg
External Dimensions - H428mm x W450mm x D845mm

70 Litre Stats
Capacity: 120 375ml cans
Wt: 27.1kg
External Dimensions - H508 x W450 x D845

Thanks for the quick responses people that's great. It's always a good read once people get a roll on in these threads.

I must say I am very tempted at the moment to give them a go considering so many of you have only had positive things to say about the 47litre machine. As someone said above however, the other sizes are new beasts and may not proove the same success.

ARB however do supply a three year warranty so that tells me they are confident in their product.

Its a hard decision when we have in the family had such great results from Engels. My dad still uses his 32 litre unit that he bought from memory when I was teenager which was a few years ago. My 40 in the cruiser hasn't missed a beat and the inlaws have had theres for a bit longer then mine and again is good.

I might go measure up the camper and see if it will fit on the slide.

Cheers
Pete

Offline Silvo

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The grass is greener where you water it..
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 08:48:23 AM »
i have a waeco 60l that only just fits in the back of my prado, as it hits the cargo barrier while sitting on top of my drawers.

i went to look at the 60l arb fridge the other day in the hope it would fit neater, as it is a lot shorter and has a better opening door in my opinion. it didn't fit unfortunately. it smacked against the cargo barrier worse, and i could get the door closed on the truck.

while they are smaller in appearance, the lower height isn't always a good thing..

which is a shame as i was really keen to get a new fridge.

dan
Dan - 2015 Discovery 4 SDV6 HSE and Lifestyle Camper AT10 EVO

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 09:20:20 AM »

For information on a 65 Litre fridge with 3 year warranty check this link:   http://www.nationalluna.com/NLR65.htm

It also has a Danfoss compressor like the big Waico fridge

National Luna
$1850 for the 40L

$1990 for the 50 and 65L :o
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 09:39:53 AM »
We run the evakool 70l and have done for about 3 years and love it

It's really an esky with a danfoss on the side but being an esky first it holds thongs cold and stays cold even when you don't have power going to it and uses no power at all.

As I said I love it it lives in the back of the ute most of the time and it lived in the back of my old patrol all the time
And for under 1k you can't complain

Offline Sixtys Guy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 05:33:41 PM »
The costs I got yesterday were $1349 for the 60 litre (Engel in both shops locally around $1700) and $1599 for the 78 litre.

I'd put the screws on them. I find my local ARB will sell at least 10% off retail if they are pressed hard enough.
2009 Dual Cab Hilux
2009 Southern Cross Canvas Bush Mate

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 05:39:29 PM »
Before you start handing over your folding stuff, one word BUSHMAN,  [url]www.bushman.com.au/url check them out.

Offline Sixtys Guy

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2010, 08:39:28 PM »
Before you start handing over your folding stuff, one word BUSHMAN,  [url]www.bushman.com.au/url check them out.

At the risk of flaming a new fridge war....... My Bushman is fantastic!
2009 Dual Cab Hilux
2009 Southern Cross Canvas Bush Mate