Author Topic: Will newer 4wds hold their value?  (Read 4880 times)

Offline schmik

• Tent User
Will newer 4wds hold their value?
« on: December 11, 2010, 11:23:01 AM »
I read an article a few weeks ago that was of the opinion that the newer 4wds would not hold their value. It stated that the new prados and 200 series (and the latest from the other manufacturers) weren't built to be as durable as the older ones. It stated that in 10 or 15 years a 2010 prado (or whatever) would be worth very very little.  Of course this article was written by some motoring journo that probably can't tell sh   it from clay when it comes to 4wds.  He was of the opinion that the chassis (or lack of chassis) and the thin body panels (or even plastic panels) all packaged with all the electronics would just not last that long.
He may be right. Only time will tell.

BUT! if he is right then what happens to 2nd hand vehicle values?
Lets say that in 2020 you can get a 200 series for $10k (and only half the electrics work).
In that case, what is a 2006 100 series worth? Less than $10k? Or more than it's newer brother?

If he is correct do the slightly older models become "classics" and pull a higher price?

Or do we just hope that these $70k+ vehicles are built to last?

cheers
mike

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Will newer 4wds hold their value?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 02:10:39 PM »
I would think that a reasonable well looked after 80 series would be worth similar to a 200 series in 10 years.  Probably about the same as a 100 series.  And being a Nissan driver I am not picking on toyotas, the same will happen with Nissans.  The new Patrol coming out is supposed to have 4 wheel independant suspension and no sway bars to give it extended wheel travel but the vehicle stability is all controlled by electronics.  Not sure how I would feel about that, driving into a sharp bend on a highway and finding the computer has had a hiccup...
I happen to have a VY one tonner that I am thinking of selling, doing some research on them I have found HZ one tonners for sale around the $7-$8,000 mark.  They were less than that when new and some of the six cylinder VYs are the same sort of price.
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 02:30:16 PM »

Typical stupid motoring journo.  I think the 200series will follow the 100series.  Petrols will be affordable in a few years whilst the TD will keep its value well.  That argument about electronics letting you down is a real crock IMO. 

I think you just need to buy a model that will be wanted in years to come.  One from a quality manufacturer.
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline schmik

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 02:44:06 PM »
It wasn't just about the electronics. It was about thin panels, the use of plastics and the general 'build to a cost' mentality.

I have no idea if they are build well or not but the trend at the moment is to build it cheap to maximise profits.
I wouldn't lay down my coin on one. I'd pay for a 70 series new but the new prado and 200..... dunno!
I'm scared that the shareholders have got it "built to price not a specification".

mike

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 04:08:21 PM »
Body panels dont need to be thick to last.  Remember the Valiants.  Nice thick steel - but rusted like all get out.

If we cast our eyes back 20 odd years we are looking at the last of the MQ patrols, 60series landcruisers and 720 nissan utes.  Nice back then, but even a good one would bring only a few bucks so whether or not the panels are straight is probably a mute point.

Go back 25 yrs and we are talking 3speed G60 patrols and 40 and 50 series landcruisers.  Dont think the family would like getting out of our prado into one of them, even if it was mint  ;D

Though a mint 40 series might be nice in the shed  :cheers:

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 04:11:13 PM »
You might want to go back further than 20 years for an MQ as that's GQ vintage :) Have you seen the prices people want for GQs these days. I could have made at least 30% extra if I sold mine this year.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Diksta

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Where I Should be
    • http://picasaweb.google.com/gbney01
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 10:09:10 PM »
just to add to this, i have a 06 td lc, a mate of mine in brissy is a car dealer, he saw 'my car' about 6 weeks ago with the same ks on it go for 10k more than what i paid for mine 2 yrs ago.why i don't know, but it certainly put a smile on my dial.

cheers

Diksta
2016 200 Series
1983 60 Series
POTM November 2009 Winner :cup:
2009 POTY Winner :cup:
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=49966.new#new

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 07:43:19 AM »
Take  em out , drive em  service em  flog em then flick em . A 10 yearold car is just that a bit older a bit more worn  but worst of all old tecknology . Have a go at the new toyota thread , blokes are fizzing at the bung to get one . So what ever it costs to startto what ever you get to finish thats the cost of your adventuer . Now come out the back so I can show you a rig thats just YOU 8)
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2010, 07:45:11 AM »
just to add to this, i have a 06 td lc, a mate of mine in brissy is a car dealer, he saw 'my car' about 6 weeks ago with the same ks on it go for 10k more than what i paid for mine 2 yrs ago.why i don't know, but it certainly put a smile on my dial.

It could be due to the fact the 200 diesel drinks oil
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2010, 07:52:53 AM »
What will affect the price is the amount on the market and the number of people wanting to buy them, as with everything.

Take the Pajero, no jokes just yet  ;D ; they're really a very good vehicle but have suffered from poor resale due to brand image issues. Or HQs. try buying a part for a HQ part or panel, they have all been snaffled up by the racing crowd. 80 series and GQs may well up the same way; all the offroad racers will consume the old vehicles, meaning they won't be available on the 2nd hand market.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2010, 07:59:55 AM »
Evry time there is a new rig in the showroom there is a glut of preloved parked out the back . Go ti the auctions & see what your rig is worth .We want new & shinney not yesterdays hero . 8)
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Alloy C/T

• Tent User
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2010, 08:46:56 AM »
99.99% of cars be they 4x4 or not depreciate from the moment they leave the showroom floor , very few survive long enough to be called classic- veteran or vintage ,  4x4 as we know it today is no different , we all look at the 80 series as being a true 4x4 classic already but how many out of the thousands are there really left in top unmodified condition , very few and far between.

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2010, 01:33:32 PM »
i think the point is with all the electrics is that there will come a day when fixing them is prohibitively expensive.  when it costs more to fix a car than the car is worth - and cannot be done by your average backyard mechanic - the value of that car will plummet.
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au