Author Topic: The Man goes down  (Read 16058 times)

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: The Man goes down
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 08:26:56 AM »
Poor buggar, has the courage to advertise loudly his own thoughts on his ability, and everyone thinks it's a bad thing. 

"Tall poppy syndrome"

;D

Yes it's a shame really, the thing is, in real life he is a nice bloke, as is his father.

Funny knowbody said these things about Ali, he did much the same.

I like Tony Mundine, he is a great boxer, how many boxers lose fights and come back, only one I know of that was undefeated his whole career, the great Rocky Marciano.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
My Swag Sticker Opportunity
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 08:44:32 AM »
Maybe MY SWAG.ORG could slap a couple of stickers on the soles of Mundines boots seeing as he is gunna be lying down so much :cup: :cheers: :cheers: Bit of exposure to the world ;D ;D
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 09:58:39 AM »
Yep, there is a god!!

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Laith

• Campers are like girlfriends... I like to check out everyone else's
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2010, 10:06:15 AM »
Yeah. He comes across as a nice bloke redback.  ::)

Danbri you were right on both counts. He is a tosser and yes I would have run too. Although he could easily catch me.

LOL at the pics Lost.

Offline Ruffstuff

• Tent User
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2010, 10:13:06 AM »
I don't think there is any doubt that he is a good athlete, he just doesn't come across as a good "sportsman"
Have a look at the likes of Federer, Agassi, etc.. brilliant athletes as well as sportsman, you very rarely hear them say anything negative about their opposition, they just get on with their own game and perform to their best of their ability and prove who is the best by their actions...i think there is alot to be said for how todays sports people go about their craft.. not just the result.
Warning: This Post May Contain Traces of Nuts!!! :)

80 series Landcruiser, DTS Turbo, Cross Country Intercooler,  3"exhaust, 33" BFG MT, locked, Lifted & gadgetised
2005 Trak Shak

Offline Alloy C/T

• Tent User
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
No matter how good or great anyone thinks they are ,sooner or later someone better will surface , no matter if being the "mouth"is just part of his act , he needed to be pulled down a peg or 3 for his arrogance.

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2010, 11:04:08 AM »
Ahh Lost - you crack me up.  :cup:

Agreed - couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. This is where I get hung up : http://thesportingblab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=170:mundine-is-mundane&catid=53:boxing-stories&Itemid=120 . I don't know enough about boxing to know really be able to critique it, but it rings true to me. What makes me angry about it is that I feel that as Aussies we have some of the best sportsmen and women in the world. I'd love to have a boxer that the media gets behind, who's actually making an impact on the international scene. Not just someone who talks a lot of trash about being world champ, whilst only fighting other people ranked significantly below himself. Someone who's not afraid to go up against someone ranked higher, knowing that you're probably going to lose, and that that's not a bad thing.

That said, I don't mind the trash talk so much - it's part of the psych-up, and it's part of how some people play the game. Look at Ali - he was a master at it. But that's probably what annoys me most of all about "The Man" - someone's told him at some point in the past that Ali used to be able to make really cutting comments about his opponents, and so now he just stammers on about how great he is, and likens himself to the greats of the sports, when he hasn't earned it at all.

I laughed my head off the other night, when Mundine was on the news talking about his gangsta-rivalry with Jeff Fenech, saying how Fenech has never liked him, etc. The only problem was, Fenech was in the press conference, and interrupted, saying "hang on - I've always supported you - I've bet money on you, I've talked you up - I've helped you when you were first getting started in this sport - I've got no idea what you're talking about???". Ahhh - Rule #1 - if you're going to have a feud with someone to help raise your profile, make sure the other person is aware of the fact that you're feuding.  ;D

And yes, if I saw him on the street, I'd congratulate him on the fight, offer my commiserations on the outcome, and wish Mr Mundine all the best for next time.  ;D

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2010, 11:52:46 AM »
It just goes to show that no matter how much Australian's love their sportsmen they hate ar$holes even more...
Living the Dream.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2010, 12:24:11 PM »
It just goes to show that no matter how much Australian's love their sportsmen they hate ar$holes even more...

Tooshay !!!!!!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline blackstump

• ''LIFES TO SHORT TO BE SMALL''
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2010, 12:36:11 PM »
the 'would be gangsta' got leather poisoning........love karma!!

IS THERE A PROBLEM OFFICER

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
Re: My Swag Sticker Opportunity
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »
Maybe MY SWAG.ORG could slap a couple of stickers on the soles of Mundines boots seeing as he is gunna be lying down so much :cup: :cheers: :cheers: Bit of exposure to the world ;D ;D

Something like this
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline Laith

• Campers are like girlfriends... I like to check out everyone else's
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2010, 01:10:18 PM »
Thats not bad cancan but if you maybe put one across his mouth we all might be able to put up with him.

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2010, 01:14:52 PM »
Dude, you're wearing a Beret.

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2010, 01:32:45 PM »
and a skivvy....
Living the Dream.

Offline hairymick

• Tent User
  • 2010 Nissan Navara D22, 2005 Kimberly Escape
« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2010, 03:45:37 PM »
Dude, you're wearing a Beret.

BWAHAHAHAHAHHHH!!!!

That is just so wrong mate. Love it!
Cheers,
Mick

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #40 on: December 10, 2010, 03:55:47 PM »
I watched the after weigh in, when they came toe to toe and Mundine was mouthing something to Garth Wood's, well, he just looked at him smiled and walked away, it was then I knew he had Mundine's measure.
I missed the fight live, but watched a short time later on the net.

Pure Gold  :cheers: Choc

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2010, 04:06:22 PM »
There is precious little 'sport' left in anything 'professional' these days, it is all about 'entertainment'.

Just look at the Ausie cricket team.  When the so-called stars are known by their nic names to the public (rather than just to the other players) and keep getting annointed irrespective of performance is it any wonder they are losing.  It is all about sponsorship and constant media hype.  One bloke can consistently score stuff all / lose concentration and throw away his wicket in the last over of sessions and remain the 'next captain' while others make thousands of runs in the Shield, but never get a look in - but then they aren't 'personalities' and weren't hooked up with the most over exposed (in more ways than one) 'silicone bumpers' in the country.  Mundine's mouth is not the only 'trash' aspect of sport these days.

As for Captain Punter, he should take a leaf out of former Collingwood footy Captain Terry Waters book and drop himself to the 'seconds' (Sheffield Shield) until he is back in form.

Aussie cricket is suffering the inevitable result of the handing out baggy greens in 'brown paper bags' to a disproportionate number of players from one state.  About time they started picking on FORM!
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »
I don't think there is any doubt that he is a good athlete, he just doesn't come across as a good "sportsman"
Have a look at the likes of Federer, Agassi, etc.. brilliant athletes as well as sportsman, you very rarely hear them say anything negative about their opposition
But isnt that boxing? every fight I've seen in recent times, has been all huff and puff before the bout and dribble.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline ferret

• Tent User
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2010, 06:58:44 PM »
2007 HILUX D4D DUAL CAB
2011 KK PLATINUM

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live for today, you may not be here tomorrow.
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2010, 07:13:38 PM »
Watching him hit the canvas on Channel 10 last night was pure gold.
2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »
Yeah. He comes across as a nice bloke redback.  ::)

Danbri you were right on both counts. He is a tosser and yes I would have run too. Although he could easily catch me.

LOL at the pics Lost.

I'm not talking about what his in front of the camera personae is, I'm talking in person at home, at the pub, no cameras, yes stick a camera in his face before a fight and yes he is a tosser, but the bloke himself is a nice fella.

You can hate the man, but you have to respect his skill, even Danny Green respects him as a boxer.

I know him and know his friends in his community, his TV act is just that, an act and yes he was beaten, still a good boxer, lets see how he reacts to it.

Of coarse all you blokes would do better I'm sure :cheers:

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2010, 07:21:48 PM »
This is amusing :)

Triple world champion Jeff Fenech was basking in the scent of cold hard cash last night after cleaning up $150,000 from bookmakers on Garth Wood's KO of Anthony Mundine.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/boxing/jeff-fenech-wins-150k-by-betting-against-anthony-mundine/story-e6freygr-1225968553059
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Flemo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
I'm not talking about what his in front of the camera personae is, I'm talking in person at home, at the pub, no cameras, yes stick a camera in his face before a fight and yes he is a tosser, but the bloke himself is a nice fella.

He came up to Yamba years ago with Nathan Brown one xmas( about 15 yrs ago), Gordon Tallis was there as well and a few other Dragons players. Way before he was a boxer. Sorry to say him and Tallis were both total arrogant twats back then. Carried on like superstars, I'm the greatest etc....based on my experience only!

Offline truck

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2010, 09:34:42 PM »
Greetings,
what redback said is right, we may not agree with what Mundine has said buty a gotta admire/respect him for his boxing ability. . . and management of that.
Sadly I think his best days are behind him and will only be a stepping stone for younger faster hungrier up and comers.
Lastly as my dad used to say " you can always tell the quality of a fighter by the quality of his opponent" and that is probably another reason Mundine is despised by a lot of people - the fact he never really fought quality opponents (one or two exceptions of course).
truck

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2010, 09:46:19 PM »
I'd have to agree with Flemo here, how many of you blokes grew up around the Clarence Valley?? you know, where Anthony & his family are from. I also know him & some of his hanger on mates, as well have played junior league with Mr Brown when he played for Maclean back in the 80's along side Tony Priddle who went on to play in the UK, Flemo may remember this. IMO, the knock down could not have been hard enough. If his mouth was as good as his ability, he would be unbeatable.
GQ 4.2d;usual off road goodies;h/made fridge slide /roller draw system;cago barriersetc. Tows a '06 trackabout deluxe tourer with some safari options.