Author Topic: P!$$ed orf about pet policy  (Read 14011 times)

Offline GSK33

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Tent
Re: P!$$ed orf about pet policy
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2010, 04:19:08 PM »
we're camping at bargara over xmas, no dogs allowed over school holidays. Bugger, 280 km round trip to drop dog off at inlaws so we can go camping! Then 280 km round trip to pick her back up!

Offline georgel

• Swag User
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2010, 08:41:19 PM »
Agree with you 100% Yoda

Good, rational post.

Offline GSK33

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Tent
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2010, 08:52:54 PM »
We took our mini foxy down to Murphy's Creek a couple weekends ago. 1st time camping with us in the swan. She loved every minute of it. We'll be looking for more pet friendly camping grounds so we can all enjoy the experience.

Offline terryc

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2010, 08:04:57 AM »
Clearly, anyone who says they could, or would, drop a dog that is charging them has never had it happen to them. What you say you would do, and what you will do right then and there are two different things, even all fuelled with adrenalin or a tin of brave stuff. If you attempt to take on an aggressive dog with aggression you WILL come off second best as you will rarely be fast enough.
0. Agree with first part of your comment but reporting after injury isn't on my cards. Instead
1. You need to think "I'm going to tear you limb from limb" as you eyeball the dog.
2. Act like it is your turf.
3. Spray bottle of ammonia works a treat. Aim for the eyes. BTDT a few times.
4. Intelligent dogs back off. The deranged ones take a few lessons, especially short snouters.

Love dogs, but would rather  put the axe through their owners for not giving the dog the attention they deserve. 

Offline Alloy C/T

• Tent User
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2010, 09:27:15 AM »
Do the right thing and give the mutt a holiday as well  , kennel is the way to go , the mutt will love you for it , on another note , if it is a Guide dog  you can't be refused entry to the camp ground ,

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2010, 10:18:31 AM »
Terryc, it's VITALLY important to report the incident to help prevent future incidents by that same dog, don't think you're doing anyone, including the dog, a favour by NOT reporting. Authorities can't act if they don't know about the incident! Unfortunately, 90% of what you have suggested is likely to increase the risk of an attack, not reduce it.

Eyeballing the dog is a sign to the dog of aggression, not necessarily dominance - again, to a highly aroused dog, this is NOT sensible and NOT recommended. Slow, deliberate movements backing off, not going towards the dog, is the way to go, you want to calm the dog down to a point where it CAN be restrained (if safe), not arc it up even further. A cornered dog feels highly threatened as it has nowhere to go, and becomes even more potentially dangerous. Sure, attempt to project confidence, but if anyone says they aren't feeling a bit of fear is lying. At the very least, your adrenalin is flowing, and dogs sense that.

Sorry, but I had a little laugh about the ammonia. 1) Who has that stuff on hand and 2) even if the dog's behaviour "deserves" a squirt - it's cruel, and still doesn't deserve cruelty. 3) It may not necessarily subdue a dog. Again, that could arc it up more, escalating the danger. I don't know what you mean by BTDT.

Don't assume an aggressive dog lacks intelligence. This is not about intelligence, it's about instinct. A truly deranged dog is rare; at the time a dog is highly arced up it may appear "deranged", but it is responding to a range of conditions that have got it to that point. They don't "take" a few lessons and think "oh, that's not how I should behave"; the "lessons" of getting squirted/flogged are more than likely going to mean the dog reacts to negative stimuli quicker, not longer.

What exactly do you mean by "short snouters"? Length of muzzle is not an indicator of intelligence or propensity to be more aggressive!

I'm not having a go, terryc, just that there are an awful lot of myths out there in regards to handling dogs and dog behaviour, and what you have suggested is pretty much the opposite of best practice. I do agree, however, with your last sentence - a dog's behaviour is primarily the result of how it has been treated and how its behaviour has been encouraged to flourish, even if unintentional. I hope you never do face this predicament.  :cheers:
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com

Offline sschmez

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • sschmez's "Huts" photos on flickr
Re: P!$$ed orf about pet haters
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2010, 10:37:41 AM »
OMG
what happened to this thread ....

the guy just wants some campsite suggestions and the whole brigade of dog haters took it as an invitation.
You don't need me to tell you where some axes would be landing if you tried any special tricks on my dogs. You'd soon see what ammonia in the eyes feels like.

Unfortunately, kids who grow up without dogs become adults who can't tell when a dog is aggressive or not and also can't teach kids how to interact with dogs or animals in general.
I used to manage a retail shop and was able to take one of my dogs with me to the shop daily, you could soon tell which mum's and their kids had animals at home and I often thought to myself "If you bite that kid now, I don't blame you" ... never did.

Sorry I can't offer any Campsite suggestions close to you, but totally understand the problems you face.

Stevo

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2010, 10:51:38 AM »
I would like to see this thread stay on track and I don't want to have to lock it.

If you don't have a pet friendly camping location to share with everyone then I suggest this is not the thread for you.
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2010, 11:25:30 AM »
NT
Douglas Daly Tourist Park about 1.5 hrs south of Darwin. It has recently changed hands and is now dog friendly. Beautiful location, and plenty of room.

Devil's Marbles camp ground allows dogs in the campsite area only, but you can still see a fair bit from there.

Kulgera - standard sort of roadhouse fuel stop, nothing special, but allows dogs.

SA
Renmark - Headings Cliffs right on the Murray - absolutely gorgeous! No facilities, but large and well spaced out sites.

WA
Barn Hill, south of Broome. Very popular with the grey nomads as it has its own bowls green, but a fantastic spot for anyone really.

Kununurra Caravan Park - good facilities, nice view of the lake in Kununurra

Exmouth Caravan Park - all good

Ningaloo Station - get the best of the National Park without being in the National Park 8)

Carnarvon Caravan Park, quiet and good facilities

Esperence Caravan Park - good facilities very close to the beach

TAS
Riverside Caravan Park at Latrobe, Tas - lovely facilities, one of the best bathroom facilities we've seen.

Seven Mil Beach, not far out form Hobart. Again, good facilities.

Black River Campground, not far from Stanley on the NW coast of Tas.

Cosy Corner Campground in the Bay of Fires Conservation Area - pit toilets only, but good flat and sheltered sites.

Can't remember the name of it, but there was a van park in Strahan that looked the good, but had VERY small sites jammed right next to each other. They also had some cabins, and they kindly let us bring the dogs inside as it was BUCKETING outside.

Latrobe Caravan Park - long skinny block with nice grassy sites, a bit too close together, but the best bathroom facilities that felt like they were en-suites.

VIC

Gunbower Caravan Park, 45km NW of Echuca - give these guys a medal! Lawn - not grass - sites, spotless bathroom.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com

Offline Crimso

• Tent User
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2010, 11:26:23 AM »

Does anyone know of a dam that ticks all the boxes. :cheers:

griz066, I've sent you a PM with a link to Sommerville Park at Stanthorpe, on the banks of Storm King Dam.
http://www.myswag.org/gallery/d/19406-2/Burrum+Camp.jpg

Offline terryc

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2010, 12:51:17 PM »
Terryc, it's VITALLY important to report the incident to help prevent future incidents by that same dog, don't think you're doing anyone, including the dog, a favour by NOT reporting. Authorities can't act if they don't know about the incident! Unfortunately, 90% of what you have suggested is likely to increase the risk of an attack, not reduce it.

No argument with reporting the dog, but that is an afterwards consideration. First is getting your backside out of there. Sure, if it is a CP, then I'm up to the office to lodge a complaint.  That unfortunately isn't always successful. Nor is reporting it to council always successful as many councils require a mauling before they will do anything.

My first approach with any dog is to appear friendly and most dogs are. Who needs a dog when you can have an OP (other peoples, no feed bills, no vet bills, no clean ups, etc) {:-).

However, from time to time, you are going to come across a situation where the dog isn't going to be friendly and the owner is completely stupid and isn't going to control the dog. Then I target the dog for a re-education program..  What I've said has worked successfully for me over a number of decades. YMMV.

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2010, 02:50:05 PM »
Clearly, anyone who says they could, or would, drop a dog that is charging them has never had it happen to them. What you say you would do, and what you will do right then and there are two different things, even all fuelled with adrenalin or a tin of brave stuff. If you attempt to take on an aggressive dog with aggression you WILL come off second best as you will rarely be fast enough. Don't be a hero, keep yourself and your family safe, and report the incident to Council and the park management. No good you getting hit with a potential assault charge as well as potentially getting injured yourself.

Bottom line is, those here with dogs are the responsible ones, right? ;D

And that was what I mean Yoda... It was a figure of speech, that's all.. I really do like dogs and have not had an issue except for once..(for another time)

Most of us are going to put family first that's all I meant..

Anyway. My post was a figure of speech But lets get back on track
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 02:55:17 PM by SteveandViv »
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/