Author Topic: P!$$ed orf about pet policy  (Read 13979 times)

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
P!$$ed orf about pet policy
« on: December 08, 2010, 03:42:46 PM »
As the title says I am a little p!$$ed orf about some places NO PET POLICY.

We like to camp (unpowered) we waterski and fish, we take a CT with 1 car and the boat with the ute.

For the last 5 years there has been 3 to 5 families in total for the week so we are a group of around 20 to 30 people from 5 to 50yo. We need hot showers and toilets for the girls and the kids, a week is a bit long to go without a shower and the porta potti is a bit over worked if you get my drift.

We love Boondooma Dam and the fact you can camp right on the lake and leave the boat in the water right in front of the camp for the week. It is a more relaxing holiday without the daily chore of launch and retrieve. However this year with the dam at 100% there is little area to camp except in the 5knot no wash area. It is a great spot to camp but no good to ski from due to the no wash rule.

There are some other great dams around with excellent facilities lakeside camping but a no pet policy  >:( >:(

We always take our very spoilt Cocker spaniel with us wherever we go, she is one of the family. We are responsible pet owners who clean up etc and she is always on a lead and in our care. It p!$$es me off that we suffer due to irresponsible people who let their dogs run wild and spoil it for others.

Does anyone know of a dam that ticks all the boxes. :cheers:

That's my rant for the day.
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: P!$$ed orf about pet policy
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 03:51:31 PM »
We always take our very spoilt Cocker spaniel with us wherever we go, she is one of the family. We are responsible pet owners who clean up etc and she is always on a lead and in our care. It p!$$es me off that we suffer due to irresponsible people who let their dogs run wild and spoil it for others.

As you say, it's a few irresponsible dog owners who have probably spoilt it for the rest.  Nothing worse than camping somewhere and being pestered by someone Else's dog, or even worse being uncomfortable about being in the vicinity of some of them, especially where kids are involved.

I feel sorry for your pain, as I know your spaniel would be a very quiet dog, but can also see it from the management side of things.

Good luck with your search for a new pet friendly haven.

Offline gunna

• Could End Up Anywhere
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Don't leave your run to late
    • A Few Pic's
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 03:58:57 PM »
Hi griz
Dont know your area very well
But i do know there are plenty of  A### Wipes out there that stuff it up for the rest of us
regards gunna

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »
We love Boondooma Dam and the fact you can camp right on the lake and leave the boat in the water right in front of the camp for the week. It is a more relaxing holiday without the daily chore of launch and retrieve. However this year with the dam at 100% there is little area to camp except in the 5knot no wash area. It is a great spot to camp but no good to ski from due to the no wash rule.

There is a little known campsite just up by the "lookout" on the dam wall.  Same van park, but quieter and a bit further from the water.  I've seen dogs there ...

As with all things ... it's the few who spoil it for the many.  Since Australia is per capita the biggest owner of domestic PETS in the world, you'd think the same should be said for camping with them.  Alas ...  Drop by your local library or bookstore ... Camping with Dogs is the book you want.  It's updated every year and contains van parks, hotels, motels, cabins, but not too much in the way of actual "camping" sites (well that was the case when I purchased it back in 1998 anyhoo).  I'm sure there will be boundless websites dedicated to getting you and pooch out there, so how about a Google Search ... dog friendly campsites ...  heaps come up and it's a matter of wading through them till you are happy :)

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 04:47:18 PM »
Hi griz,

I know where your coming from,  ???  The ones we have found that say they are pet friendly weather be CP or Camp Ground quite often have restrictions  for school holidays or long weekends,  NO PETS, well I can understand this in a way,  BUT DOH! isn't that when people go camping,  Our dog too is always either contained or on a lead as some of my fellow swaggers can atest too. We don't always take her along eg (longer holiday trips) but weekends we usually have too.

The one thing i am finding if in a pet friendly CP  , The Grey Nomads are the worst offenders for letting their pooch run free despite park policy saying they must be on lead or contained at ALL times.  The other thing I find looking through park/camp ground guide books, is that parks that say they aren't pet friendly usually are, this is so the can regulate it themselves in busy periods.
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 04:49:13 PM »
LOL the nomads are having a whine about this too http://caravanersforum.com/index.php?hash=78c38e6b
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 05:09:34 PM »
I have been camping where dogs have barked all the time, sh*t every where, p*ssed around campsites, and chased other peoples kids while they are playing. I'm sure each of those owner thought they were doing nothing wrong. Your dogs might be fine but capsite manangers cant do a psychological test on dogs or there owners before they let them camp.
 After a number of bad experiences i would rather no dog campsites
Living the Dream.

Offline Vince

• Tent User
    • Central Coast 4WD Club
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 05:35:10 PM »
Hi griz066

We had similar cicumstance, ended up buying a book called "Camping Guide to New South Wales" by Boiling Billy.

This book has a huge list of places to camp, State Forest--National Parks--Recreational Reserves, info on each place is good....lets you know if dogs allowed or not too

Can be bought online or at bookstores  :cheers:

Offline georgel

• Swag User
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 05:42:42 PM »
Mate spoil your dog as much as you can.

We just lost our 4 year old pug to an extreme anaphylactic reaction (possibly to a bee sting).  She was my best mate and I'm devastated.  I partly bought the XTRK because of the trouble we've had getting dog accommodation but didn't get a chance to spoil my little girl on a camping trip.

They're not around long enough and are better than 99% of the people you meet  :'(

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 07:57:41 PM »
LOL the nomads are having a whine about this too http://caravanersforum.com/index.php?hash=78c38e6b

I think you mean this one - http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12644

I also have small dogs that I would like to take camping, but I have also seen enough instances of irresponsible dog owners to understand why they are banned from many caravan parks, and I tend to agree with that rule even though for me personally it is an inconvenience.

And yes, the worst offenders are the grey nomads, who are supposed to me more mature and should know better!

There is more discussion here too - http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=2393.0
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 08:00:00 PM by Symon »
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 08:10:13 PM »
Bushman, thanks for the heads up on the no dog parks that might accept dogs upon asking - I'll try calling ahead in future to places I wouldn't have bothered. 8) We have found that when people have asked what breed we have, we have often got a "Oh, no problem!" Beagles have that affect on people ;D

Georgel, I'm so sorry for your loss, pugs are fantastic little guys, and yours looks like she was loved like no other :'( Whilst you can never replace her, I hope you can find another little mate that will help fill the hole she has left behind.

Mrs Yoda
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 08:18:44 PM »
The worst place I have stayed, with a dog in tow is Riverwood Downs....it's extremely dog friendly u can even let them stay in cabins,  the trouble we had was dogs off leads running through campsites and some dogs bailing u up on the way to the toilet.

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2010, 09:08:27 PM »
Thanks for all the reply's though there seems to be a lack of suggested places. And I know why, its because there just aren't that many dams that are pet friendly.
I have little interest in caravan parks or powered sites I am talking about unpowered lakeside camping with the ability to use the showers n toilets for longer stays.
I had a rather heated argument with someone today who was telling me they couldn't afford the xtra 10k insurance to allow dogs at the facility. I said the amount of people who travel with dogs would go a long way to cover it, just look on the camping forums and see the amount of interest in such places.
She then started laughing and i got wild, I said my guide dog travels everywhere with me.............. there was a very long silence before she said I am sorry but rules are rules......... well I just spat it right there n then.
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2010, 09:36:10 PM »
I have been camping where dogs have barked all the time, sh*t every where, p*ssed around campsites, and chased other peoples kids while they are playing. I'm sure each of those owner thought they were doing nothing wrong. Your dogs might be fine but capsite manangers cant do a psychological test on dogs or there owners before they let them camp.

I have to agree....My kids want a dog bad but we won't until we have finished travelling. I'm sorry for all those that want to take pets but there are to many that just don't have a clue and have ruined it for you. Same a the mavericks that cut up tracks when all notices say don;t drive on if wet.. Simple isn't it - NOT
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2010, 10:27:03 PM »
Agree.

I had a 'discussion' with a bloke on another forum, who said his dogs when ever someone pulled up his dogs would charge at them, barking and snarling... I informed him I'd place an axe in his dogs head if it came snarling and barking at my kids. He couldnt see what the problem was and he would scare me and booo if I did that to his dog. Apparently according to him, Im supposed to watch his dog tear my kids to pieces before acting.

My kids also want a dog, but I for one dont have time working 8am -7pm and it aint fair on the dog.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 11:17:02 PM »
Agree.

I had a 'discussion' with a bloke on another forum, who said his dogs when ever someone pulled up his dogs would charge at them, barking and snarling... I informed him I'd place an axe in his dogs head if it came snarling and barking at my kids. He couldnt see what the problem was and he would scare me and booo if I did that to his dog. Apparently according to him, Im supposed to watch his dog tear my kids to pieces before acting.

My kids also want a dog, but I for one dont have time working 8am -7pm and it aint fair on the dog.

See lost.. There is one thing in this world I will not let happen and that is the harm of my family.. If a dog charges it will be dead before it hits the ground as you say.. I agree with you here 100% and there lies the problem. Some just don;t get our little ones don't want dogs jumping all over them - why?
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 11:24:38 PM »

Google "pet friendly campsites QLD" gave me these sites to look at:

http://www.petnet.com.au/pet-friendly-holidays/caravan-parks-camping
http://www.around-oz.com/lifestyle_mh/campsite/index.htm

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/see-and-do/holidays-with-pets - this one is specifically for the Brisbane region.

Also this one was given the thumbs up:  Jazkev says:
We have had great family camping trips to John's Landing on the Noosa River. Despite reading some bad web reviews, we gave it a go and have returned several times. You can take dogs, it is $10/night for a family and you can camp 20m from the river which is full of fish and crabs! Has basic toilet and shower facilities. Worth a look!

Kit_e
My Blog

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 11:38:39 PM »
I have to agree....My kids want a dog bad but we won't until we have finished travelling. I'm sorry for all those that want to take pets but there are to many that just don't have a clue and have ruined it for you. Same a the mavericks that cut up tracks when all notices say don;t drive on if wet.. Simple isn't it - NOT

better close all those tracks then
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 06:33:41 AM »
Hi all,

Quote from: SteveandViv on Yesterday at 08:36:10 PM
I have to agree....My kids want a dog bad but we won't until we have finished travelling.

we have got it both ways,
we host ( bed & breakfast only) guide dogs in their final months of training, drop of and pick up each day on the way to and fro from wk, we have the dog on the weekends to enjoy and they are very well trained and discplined dogs etc etc, just not allowed to "undo" any of the good work already put into them,
Come school holidays or travel weekends we request that they be boarded elswhere and they arn't our responsibility, best of both worlds "how to have a dog without owning one" and it's no cost to us, even comes with a user manual...........
when one goes back and is finished, we say goodbye,  put our name back on the list and get another one

cheers
Garry

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 07:40:34 AM »
Ha....we wouldn't be able to give them back!!!!
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline Garry H

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 08:23:43 AM »
good feeling to see them go to worthy recipients, and the kids also realise that can't have our own whilst we travel like we do,
like i say, best of both worlds and they are all good dogs to a very high standard, we consider ourselves lucky to be a part of the "dogs life"
cheers
Garry

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 03:57:27 PM »
Bushman, thanks for the heads up on the no dog parks that might accept dogs upon asking - I'll try calling ahead in future to places I wouldn't have bothered. 8) We have found that when people have asked what breed we have, we have often got a "Oh, no problem!" Beagles have that affect on people ;D

No problems Yoda,  one thing I will add though, If it's a Big4 park don't bother asking, though a not of Top Tourist Parks are OK out side of peak times.

We too get asked the breed, and near had a problem.
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
One of my team went to a dog bite today.

Blue heeler wasnt happy

My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 09:34:33 PM »
Blue heeler wasnt happy

Bloody good guard dogs those Blue Heelers.  I love em.  Faithful. 

But all dogs bite.  Anyone who thinks they don't is a DH!

Kit_e
My Blog

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2010, 03:08:21 PM »
Clearly, anyone who says they could, or would, drop a dog that is charging them has never had it happen to them. What you say you would do, and what you will do right then and there are two different things, even all fuelled with adrenalin or a tin of brave stuff. If you attempt to take on an aggressive dog with aggression you WILL come off second best as you will rarely be fast enough. Don't be a hero, keep yourself and your family safe, and report the incident to Council and the park management. No good you getting hit with a potential assault charge as well as potentially getting injured yourself.

Bottom line is, those here with dogs are the responsible ones, right? ;D
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com