Author Topic: Outbac Air Compressor...Any Good  (Read 7206 times)

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Outbac Air Compressor...Any Good
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2019, 09:36:52 PM »
I read an article on another site about compressors, etc ….I seem to remember that the ARB twin tank one was by FAR the most reliable, robust, etc....because heaps of those tested actually heat-seized, karked it, etc before they got a standard tyre (can't remember which one) to x or y pressure ...but ..it's about $1200..
Having said that...the note here about you not having to pump your tyres to 40psi immediately rings true….so a 1/2-3/4 way pump would do!...till you hit the servo...
there’s cheaper compressors out there then ARB twin jobbie that don’t cark it from heat issues...my old Bushranger Maxair 11 will pump up 12 tyres from beach pressures to 40 psi without stopping.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2019, 10:46:05 PM »
I know these threads always bring up the "I've got this so that's what you should get too" .   But my 2c and I'll call in on the game. 

I'm always a sucker for buying better quality gear than I may need - but I rarely need to take stuff back or have it break on me at the moment somethings needed.   So I went with the Bushranger Max Air III as it has the air trigger and pressure cut off blah blah blah.   

But given it's younger sibling the Black Max is around the price you're looking at - and you'd be getting a reputable brand without the worry of eBay lottery - it has the gauge in line and a quality over cam valve locking thingy - would this one do the trick for you?   Available at TJM's etc too at the 'retail price'.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bushranger-12V-Black-Max-Air-Compressor-55X12/282526229988?hash=item41c7e025e4:g:aY4AAOSwvytcRvNN:rk:14:pf:0

Let us know what you pull the pin on?
Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2019, 06:39:06 PM »
So I settled on a "thumper" single cylinder as it came with an extension hose which I thought could be handy, but..........

it has that bloody silly ubiquitous screw on valve fitting that lets out more air than goes in   >:(

Does any body know the correct size fitting to suit the hose so I can get a proper air chuck, there's a heap of different ones on evilbay ,which 1 to get
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2019, 06:53:06 PM »
So I settled on a "thumper" single cylinder as it came with an extension hose which I thought could be handy, but..........

it has that bloody silly ubiquitous screw on valve fitting that lets out more air than goes in   >:(

Does any body know the correct size fitting to suit the hose so I can get a proper air chuck, there's a heap of different ones on evilbay ,which 1 to get
take a run to pirtek in dande.. they sorted all my Shit out on the spot.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 11:28:49 AM »
This one has served me very well.

https://www.outbackequipment.com.au/product/dr-air-aircompressor-150l-pmin

Ive got one of these as well, never had it cut out on me and cos of the screw connection and my laziness, I have it running for extended periods.
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 12:24:56 PM »
Might be nice, but about double my budget atm  :'( :'( , don't think I'd get it past the minister of finance

Might be time for a cabinet shuffle.

Offline Hookie

• Tent User
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 04:21:22 PM »

Mine came with a 1/4" NPT, so I just went to Bunnings and got a 5m compressor hose and real tyre inflator with gauge, no need to mess around with fittings. Toss the hose it came with before it blows out on you on a warm day.

PS I know there's 40 billion thumpers out there that have been working since the first fleet arrived, but mine has just had the thermal cutout start playing up at barely 3 years old, so I get about 10 seconds on and 10 seconds off when filling up. Not sure if there's anywhere that will just sell me a replacement either. Not really complaining, price I paid works out to about $50/year, and maybe I was just unlucky...

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 11:25:46 AM »
I have a Big Red by Thomas, don't waste your money on cheap Chinese compressors, just buy one good one.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool