Author Topic: Camp Light Colour  (Read 3058 times)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
Camp Light Colour
« on: October 08, 2016, 08:44:32 PM »
Saw on recent footage of a camper maker having led strip lighting that is the usual white but a flick of the switch and the light is red. 
Their idea being the red does not attacked the insects.  Has anyone experimented with coloured lights and found something that works?  I have seem others using yellow as well. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Camp Light Colour
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 09:21:55 PM »
I think I read on here somewhere that even White LED doesn't attract insects. Something to do with the light frequency.
Plus red light would make it hard to do few things like reading etc.  although it doesn't affect your night vision.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 09:23:53 PM by #jonesy »
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2016, 10:00:10 PM »
Camping with a red light at the door of your camper? You may attract unwanted attention and I'm not talking about insects  >:D

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2016, 10:21:32 PM »
I think I read on here somewhere that even White LED doesn't attract insects. Something to do with the light frequency.
Plus red light would make it hard to do few things like reading etc.  although it doesn't affect your night vision.

I know red does not affect the night vision, which is good.  Have used a white led strip light before and it still attracted the insects, which is why I was wondering about different colours
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2016, 10:22:32 PM »
Camping with a red light at the door of your camper? You may attract unwanted attention and I'm not talking about insects  >:D

ha ha yeah did think of that, could be an interesting camp
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 04:56:04 AM »
l have used a strip light draped with a Yellow cloth to detract the bugs . They came anyway  :cheers: Just different bugs  :'(
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 05:09:58 AM »
I have used both White LED & orange LED light bars at the same time up at Somerset Dam last year.
Orange lights were not supposed to attract bugs.....but there was a swarm of bugs around the orange lights rather than the white lights.....fair dinkum no bull.
Was very surprised about that.

Cheers
Rob
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 12:21:47 PM by archer63 »

Offline Gunsrunner

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 07:07:53 AM »
We use a 1m RGB led strip above the sink, I find the orange colour works best, but also find if it reflects off anything brightly it attracts the bugs.
We have a 1m white led strip that we setup away from the CT to attract the bugs, which works really good.

2014 NW VRX Pajero 3.2did
2012 Redtrack series 1 RF

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 07:53:30 AM »
We've got 1 of these: https://www.uneekleds.com.au/products/dual-white-orange-camping-led-strip, that we string up under the annex.

The actual packet says amber rather than orange, & I'd describe the light as more or less traffic light yellow?  :D

Also made up another light bar with 1 strip of white & another of yellow led's, each with it's own dimmer, to go above the kitchen bench.

Yes, when you switch them to yellow, they do seem to keep the number of bugs down, but Mrs then complains that it's too dark & she can't see to cook / wash up!
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday