Author Topic: Bloomfield Track with a Camper Trailer  (Read 4374 times)

Offline Zilch

• Swag User
Bloomfield Track with a Camper Trailer
« on: August 11, 2015, 06:29:43 PM »

Just a quick poll/question, i have been in QLD for a few weeks for a wedding and did the right thing and hired
a Prado and did the Bloomfield has far as Wudja Wudja one day. Last year we were  going to do it dragging
a one ton CT, heading North, but due to an illness had to bypass it and head straight to the Lions Den
There are some challenging inclines but doable going North. Coming back south however there are some
challenging climbs with severe undulations / wash outs that required LR and Centre Diff lock engaged on the Prado. 

Has anyone done south to North dragging a large CT and how easy was it. 
2010 RRS 3.0 TDv6 with High beam annoy and a $25 dollar super cheap auto cargo barrier

Offline discoteddy

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If in doubt, grab a handful of 2nd gear.
Re: Bloomfield Track with a Camper Trailer
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 07:17:06 PM »
Zilch,

In early July this year we towed our camper south to north along the entire length of the Bloomfield. Truck is a ML T/D Triton, all the gear fridges  loaded roof rack and family of four. Camper is a fully loaded Trackabout Safari. We had three fridges, 125 litres of diesel and 130 litres of water on board. All we packed and heading north to the cape.

This outfit had no problems at all. Adjusted tyres accordingly we sailed up first gear about 2500 revs. One or two of the climbs we used low range mainly due to the track being chewed up. Loved it. Good luck!

Cheers,

Disco teddy.
2015 Goldstream Storm lifted with Vehicle Components best!, 2021 Enter the D Max.
The following users thanked this post: Zilch

Offline DEEMAC

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 07:22:07 PM »
Went North-South a couple of weeks ago in a 100 series pulling an Aussie Swag I don't think direction would make much difference but get into low range 4wd earlyany when there is a serious climb &make sure you are in low 4 for the steeper long descents or you will run short on brakes in places if not carefull. There are a couple of rough spots but pretty good overall.
Deemac

Offline Elky

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 07:28:49 PM »
We did it south to north 7 weeks ago, I locked the centre diff (was drizzly) on the 200 but never looked like using low range, we were towing the cub, nice drive but not too difficult

Cheers
2010 TTD Landcruiser, i have added stuff but can't remember what! Slowly gettin quicker at setting up the brumby but breaking camp is another matter....

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 07:36:30 PM »
I towed our ultimate south to north and don't reckon it would be much different either way. I put it in low range on a few of the hills and used low range to decend also. Mainly for braking purposes as the trailer tends to push the car. We passed a heap towing north to south also.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Never enough time

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 07:53:14 PM »
We did North to south in early July this year in a Pajero towing a 1.4Tonne camper Trailer with 4 adults. Friends were in a HiLux towing a 900kg CT. Our CT hydraulic disc brakes were buggered, so it was totally reliant on the Pajero brakes & Low range gear selection. Absolutely no problems. I probably used to much of my right boot when I saw the "moguls" going up some of the steep hills, I  should have just did as my friend did in his HiLux and just plodded along.
Right gear selection & suitable vehicle you will have no problems.
Passed a 100 series (not towing) which had "lost it brakes" and was letting them cool down
Vehicles; Presently Prado 2021, previously three Pajeros
Camper; Complete Campsite Exodus 13 (2011 build), previously Kimberly Kamper and prior to that Soft Floor 16ft

Offline bigred

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 08:48:01 PM »
Towed North to South a month ago. KK and 120 series prado. All good.
120 prado KK Limited Ed

Offline BTMNDR

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 09:22:53 AM »
Has anyone done south to North dragging a large CT and how easy was it.

I've done it several times, both directions. A Patrol & Kimberley Kamper, and more recently  TTD 200 Series and 2.2 tonne Quantum Supa Camper.  I've not encountered any problems, amen through bonnet high water at times.  I've not needed the diff-lock but have used low range on some of the steeper slopes.
Former TOPNDR.