Author Topic: Airconditioning Jayco Outback Swan  (Read 19286 times)

Offline BM4WD

• Learning the Ropes
Airconditioning Jayco Outback Swan
« on: January 19, 2013, 01:36:58 PM »
Hi all,
i was wondering who has put an air/con into their jayco swan outback ,as an after market fit out,
currently living in the n/west where it gets  hot & humid.
hope to get some thoughts on what brands to use, how hard it was to install etc.
either a roof top or split (not thats theres any space to put one) would like to know the pro's and con's on either 
any suggestions or hints etc would be greatfully appreciated.
cheers
:cheers: Peter
2012 :Toyota hilux d/cab D4D
2011 :Jayco Outback Swan
The following users thanked this post: lost at sea

Offline Top.ender

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "I WONDER WHERE THIS TRACK GOES"
Re: Airconditioning Jayco Outback Swan
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 06:17:13 PM »
Hi all,
i was wondering who has put an air/con into their jayco swan outback ,as an after market fit out,
currently living in the n/west where it gets  hot & humid.
hope to get some thoughts on what brands to use, how hard it was to install etc.
either a roof top or split (not thats theres any space to put one) would like to know the pro's and con's on either 
any suggestions or hints etc would be greatfully appreciated.
cheers
:cheers: Peter
I think your better off with a roof mounted unit if only for marginally better spread of cold air , try looking up  Dometic 2.2 roof units or if you like the idea of mounting one at floor level look up Herron 2.2 units.Installation of either one is relativeley straight forward ( for experienced HVAC Techs). Either way I've lived in your end of town and I dont think you'll go wrong putting one in. :cup:
 P.S  I think Jayco in Perth charge upwards of  $2500 to install after market . :cheers:

100 Series Diesel with lots of stuff
2014 Jayco Swan Outback

Offline pinkmia

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »
Hi i looked into this as well prior to signing up for a new one , if you go for a non factory they DONT put extra internal bracing into the roof so all the mounting hardware to hold the unit is external !! where the factory looks neat.
i have looked at one after market install and they mounted the unit  under one of the seats but had the cold air outlet comming out under the table  so someones feet would have to be on top of it if you use the table .
I got the new price for just over $2400 so it is a lot .

note that the roof with bag ends  roof rack and the std A/C is 3kg over the rated supports, does not sound like a lot but the factory will not install and fit all options if you go this route,  as they have had the roof come down  on a guy ,he had solar panel,bag ends awning ,AC  max weight rated weight is 89/90kg i have been told .
Hope this helps
Jayco swan 2013 OB
100 series TD 5 speed

Offline Kennchris

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 08:54:49 PM »
We have 2010 Jayco outback hawk and have fitted a Dometic 2.2 in the roof, we brought the airconditioner from a Sydney dealer for $1980.00 del to Dubbo and brought the aluminium support from the jayco dealer, if I was doing it again I would get the alum support made up at a welding works, it would only cost about half what we payed. we were quoted $3200.00 to fit the same unit in Dubbo. I bent the alum support to the same shape as the roof, the dealer said they didn't do that just put it on and screw it down, I am sure its better to shape it to the roof. I fitted it myself wasn't hard to do including the wiring, we haven't used the cooling yet but have used the heater it works well. When the roof is up we use a support on each corner which is a piece of 20mm tube at the front and 25mm at the back, just light steel tube cut to the right length and with rubber stoppers on the ends, hope this helps,
Ken