Author Topic: Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting???  (Read 45686 times)

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
Re: Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting???
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2012, 03:49:05 PM »
 I've stopped on Sunday night, been winding down the last couple of weeks, sick of them. A Dale camera is going to be my reward, bit I can already see the bonus of slowing down in my bank account.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2012, 03:59:59 PM »
Looks like three of us at least made the big move on Sunday Night!

Keep it up folks.

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
How did I miss this thread.

1st of Feb for me, after 30+ years.
Started with camels, then Chestefield plain and then moved to peter styvo's.

I just stopped. So far so good.
Ron

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2012, 06:29:00 PM »
2 mths shy of 12 mths...though I've been tempted a couple of times, I reckon I'll hit the 12 mth mark no worries :)

:cup: to those still going, & those've just started  :cheers:
Bob and Robyn

Offline JGM

• Swag User
« Reply #154 on: June 06, 2012, 07:42:59 PM »
Sorry if this is mentioned earlier in the post, but I stopped smoking about 6 years ago after reading a book called " The easy way to stop smoking" by a fella called Allen Carr.
I'd tried all the tricks, patches, low nicotine smokes, gum etc and none of them worked.  Once I had a beer or three I'd get that beautiful smell of smoke (smokers will understand what I mean)  and "just one little puff" turned into full time smoking again.

After reading that book, I stopped about 3 days after, and never even felt like a smoke since, even when having a beer.  I have given it to several other smokers who have also all stopped. I wasn't really trying to give up at the time either, I just run out of stuff to read and one of the mates at work lent it to me, I read it in 2 or 3 days, and stopped a few days later.
 I don't know how it works, cause it's not really telling you anything you didn't already know, but it just works,,gets into your head somehow!

Recommend it highly

Cheers
JGM

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #155 on: June 06, 2012, 07:49:50 PM »
Great to see this thread still ticking over. All those trying to give the dreaded nails away and/or are staying off them......Awesome  :cup:

Keep going and don't give in to the filthy things.  :cup: :cup:

A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline GMac

• Swag User
« Reply #156 on: June 06, 2012, 10:58:43 PM »
Just hit 4 weeks after smoking about 25 a day for the best part of 15 years.  Feeling pretty good at the moment too.  Good luck to all who are giving it a shot.  Damn it can be hard!  :cup:

Greg

Offline Wandering Tassie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #157 on: June 07, 2012, 06:20:31 AM »
Thought it was time I told my story, but I do not recommend this method of giving up to anyone.
I have been an on and off smoker most of my life, the last off was at the beginning of April, wasn't feeling well so it was a good time.
In mid April I was diagnosed with lung cancel and booked in for surgery mid May. Before the surgery I had do some more tests to see if it had spread, what type etc. A week before the surgery was due I got the results back and the doctors have changed their mind, and have now cleared me of cancer.
If this type of scare doesn't keep me of them for life nothing will. I can tell you for that period my mind went to some vary dark places and things were not looking very good.
I am not completely in the clear health wise as what they though was a tumor is now an unidentified mass that even the biopsy hasn't identified( more test etc to do).
As the doctors have said, I am not out of the woods but I am out of the jungle. And after some of those dark places my mind has been anything is better than lung cancer.
As one of my mates said, "that's better than winning lotto".
For all those out there struggling I hope this story helps, even though I have been very lucky it does make you realise that it can happen to you not just someone else.

Trevor

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #158 on: June 07, 2012, 06:33:15 AM »
G'day Trevor,
Sheesh, the roller coaster ride of life hey.
Thank you for sharing your story mate.
 :cheers:

Amd all those that are struggling with giving up, keep at it, you are all champions  :cup:
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #159 on: June 07, 2012, 10:30:15 AM »
Guys this is awesome!!! i quit near 4 years ago, havent looked back. I used Champix and a heap of support from fam and friends. Yes i still miss them, generally when im on the drink, i reward myself with a small gift every year.

I stand and applaud you all!!
NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!

Offline mayney

• Tent User
« Reply #160 on: June 07, 2012, 11:24:43 AM »
Well done to those who have and for those who are trying, keep going, you can do it!
I quit April 22nd 4 years ago, the day I met my fiance!
How I did it was by going cold turkey as I took her camping to Thunder Bay (near Steep Point W.A) for a week and there wasn't a shop in sight for hours so I had no choice either way! I was suprisingly calm the whole time, hardly even thought about them, even while having a beer. I was just happy that my promise to myself that if I ever met the right girl it would be time for me to give up (sad I know) was upheld.
I smoked nearly a pack a day and every time i went to the shop to buy smokes I would spend more money buying other stuff aswell. The money I have saved from not needing to go to the shop and impulse buy is amazing.
All I can offer is keep true to yourself, think about your family and believe that you have the will power to do it, tell your mind that it is strong and you can achieve this.
Food never tasted better, I don't stink and my wallet is heavier, well not after joining this forum...
Keep going everyone, you will be very happy with yourself!

All the best,
Mayney.
09 TTDV8 LC200 Sahara, #199 Ultimate Xtrk June 2012

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #161 on: September 18, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »
im still going strong - havnt even looked at one since i quit = champix is the business - most of the guys i work with smoke and i have no desire whatsoever

unlike many former smokers i enjoy the smell of it though

cant recommend champix enough
if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #162 on: September 19, 2012, 01:10:39 AM »
im still going strong - havnt even looked at one since i quit = champix is the business - most of the guys i work with smoke and i have no desire whatsoever

unlike many former smokers i enjoy the smell of it though

cant recommend champix enough

I agree. Champix helped my wife and I quit. We are both going strong and dont look like ever turning back :)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #163 on: September 19, 2012, 05:55:07 AM »
So after 20 odd years of smoking (30+ per day about $120 per week) its time to quit... again.... >:D >:D >:D

Anyway...i have tried it all over the last few years from gum, patches and hypnatismn (sp).

I think the only thing that will work is will power, and as I can see my health slowly slipping away its time to do it not just for me, but for the kids too.

I am sure there would be members on here that want to quit, so I figure we could all do it together and offer support if we slip etc. We can use this thread to discuss the ins and outs of how we are going inc feelings, cravings etc and how we have been handling them.

My plan is from this coming Monday 27/6/2011 to cut my habit by at least half and totally quit by Monday 4/7/2011.

If you have any valid suggestions please feel free to post them up.

So who wants to give it a go with me???

Well done
I gave up a couple of years ago after 40 years, didnt smoke much, about ten a day. I tried several time and this time I stopped!! Stayed with strong patches only and will power. Stay away from cakes and sweet things, as you will put kilos on. I wish you all the best in your endeavours.

Wayne
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline chappo555

• Swag User
Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting???
« Reply #164 on: September 19, 2012, 09:05:07 AM »
Been just on 10 weeks since the wife and I quit. Plain will power alone.

Long story short the wife had an X ray which showed a shadow on the lungs 10 weeks ago. Turned out to be nothing but scared the Shit out of both of us enough to quit on the spot.

Very hard but getting easier every day.

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2012, 09:10:32 AM »
Still off them, went thru the full course of Champix which finished last week.

The livid & strange dreams have stopped now Im not taking them!  I also had to take the first tablet each day @ 5AM as they made me quite nauseaous. Taking them then gave me time to recover in bed before getting up.  The evening tablet was no problem.

They are worth the side effects that you mite experience.

2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2012, 11:06:04 AM »
Hi,
  well done on sticking with it. Nicotine is an insidious drug.
You can beat it and reap the health and wealth benefits for the rest of your life.

cheers

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2012, 04:59:28 PM »
well done to those who have managed to keep off the durries....such a shame the original poster in this thread hasn't the same though  ::) ::) i know this because the other week he rocked up at my place and i could smell the ciggie smoke on him immediately.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline kiwipete

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2012, 07:25:17 PM »
Sorry if this is mentioned earlier in the post, but I stopped smoking about 6 years ago after reading a book called " The easy way to stop smoking" by a fella called Allen Carr.
I'd tried all the tricks, patches, low nicotine smokes, gum etc and none of them worked.  Once I had a beer or three I'd get that beautiful smell of smoke (smokers will understand what I mean)  and "just one little puff" turned into full time smoking again.

After reading that book, I stopped about 3 days after, and never even felt like a smoke since, even when having a beer.  I have given it to several other smokers who have also all stopped. I wasn't really trying to give up at the time either, I just run out of stuff to read and one of the mates at work lent it to me, I read it in 2 or 3 days, and stopped a few days later.
 I don't know how it works, cause it's not really telling you anything you didn't already know, but it just works,,gets into your head somehow!

Recommend it highly

Cheers
JGM

I did the same except I finished reading the book and lit a smoke on the way out of work that afternoon deciding it was the last.  It tasted just like the first smoke I ever had...   never finished it... through it away and have never smoked since and like you it has been a awesome 6 years and never once have I craved a smoke...

BTW I smoked for 30 years before that book...  Love allan carr
KiwiPete
1991 HDJ80
Explorer Campers & Canvas - Lawson Off Road
http://www.explorercampers.com.au/
Canberra

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »
well done to those who have managed to keep off the durries....such a shame the original poster in this thread hasn't the same though  ::) ::) i know this because the other week he rocked up at my place and i could smell the ciggie smoke on him immediately.

Stopped Aug 2011 with the champix. Ashamed to say I had a few 3-4 wks ago  >:(
Haven't had anymore since. The hell I got from the minister scared the bejesus out've me, as well as the low bastard I felt...can't condemn anyone who breaks, I'm one of them that it'll remain continuous battle for  :(
Bob and Robyn

Offline brickiematt

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life member of the Silverton Hotel
« Reply #170 on: September 19, 2012, 11:04:35 PM »
Well done to all those who have managed to quit. I've been trying for years to give the bastards up, just haven't been too serious about it. Started with the original Zyban tablets (i think they were called that?) but had to throw them away; man they were some serious pills :o Then the cold turkey (several times), patches, lozenges etc.
Now, after nearly 25 years, I'm ready. I really don't enjoy smoking anymore, it tastes like Shit and costs a fortune. I think you need to get into the mindset that you really want to quit, not just to appease others.
So, I've been slowly cutting back, and have set a quit date. We head to Tassie for 2 1/2 weeks tomorrow, and that will be my last hurrah. The moment I step inside the house when we return, I'm giving whatever I have left in the pack to the kids to chuck in the bin. And that's it.
I know it's gonna be hard, but I think the difference is this time I really do want to give them away.
So farewell Mr Peter Jackson. You've been with me through thick and thin, but now it's time to part ;D
Cheers
Matt
Mitsubishi Pajero NT GLS
2015 Kimberley Kamper Classic

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #171 on: September 20, 2012, 10:18:36 AM »
Well done to all those who have managed to quit. I've been trying for years to give the bastards up, just haven't been too serious about it. Started with the original Zyban tablets (i think they were called that?) but had to throw them away; man they were some serious pills :o Then the cold turkey (several times), patches, lozenges etc.
Now, after nearly 25 years, I'm ready. I really don't enjoy smoking anymore, it tastes like **** and costs a fortune. I think you need to get into the mindset that you really want to quit, not just to appease others.
So, I've been slowly cutting back, and have set a quit date. We head to Tassie for 2 1/2 weeks tomorrow, and that will be my last hurrah. The moment I step inside the house when we return, I'm giving whatever I have left in the pack to the kids to chuck in the bin. And that's it.
I know it's gonna be hard, but I think the difference is this time I really do want to give them away.
So farewell Mr Peter Jackson. You've been with me through thick and thin, but now it's time to part ;D
Cheers
Matt

You are correct, you have to WANT to give up.

I really wanted to give up, I knew it was my time.

On the other hand my wife didnt have the mindset I had and she was giving up more for me and the kids so she had to struggle through the mental torment of convincing herself she can do with out them.
I would counsel her on a regular basis LOL But once I convinced her than she has gone 1 week she can go 1 month, you have gone a month you can go another etc she has come out the other side unscathed :)

She still craves a smoke though which is normal, it took me 12 months or more to stop feeling like a smoke from time to time. But the best advice i can give is that the cravings disappear as quick as they come so just ignore it as best you can and before you know it your ok and not thinking of it.

Good luck we are so happy we have quit the wicked stuff. 
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline wmarsb

• Swag User
  • aahhh another long weekend
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2012, 07:06:58 PM »
good luck mr mac i tried it all over a 5 year period, then i tried hypno a second time. proud to say the last fag was 6 years and 14kg ago. may be chubby but feel great. best of luck and dont give up
love the aussie long weekend. sorry boss se you next week.

Offline Brett B

• Hard Top Camper User
  • just cruzin
« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2012, 09:56:02 AM »
Hi everyone

I have given up smoking
Friday a week ago while working away from home I had a heart attack
Its knocked the living day lights out off me
Had 2 stents put in Thursday sent home Friday
Wont be doing anything full on for a while
Still a little bit of with the fairys
Give up if you can Its bloody hard thing to do
97 80 series and home made ct

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2013, 07:57:13 AM »
 :cup: to me
One year down.