Author Topic: Convoy Procedures and Etiquette  (Read 3145 times)

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
Convoy Procedures and Etiquette
« on: May 12, 2014, 06:08:06 PM »
Firstly let me start by saying that this is YOUR holiday and there is absolutely no requirement for you to travel in a convoy if you don't wish to.

If you want to sleep in until midday on a particular day - that's fine.  If you want to leave at 7am every day - that's fine.  If following me on a bitumen highway at my towing speed of 95km/h will send you bonkers - that's fine.  Everyone has the itinerary and knows where we end up at the end of each day so how and when you get there is up to you.

However, if you like the safety in numbers idea and/or want to travel with others in a group, then every evening I will set a 'Time of Departure' for the next day.  This will be based on how many km's have to be driven, the type of terrain we will be driving over, and also the sightseeing available on the way.  This time will be known and the 'Convoy Departure Time'.

For those that would like to be in this group I have attached a set of general guidelines that you can print out which I have compiled from all the ones I could find on the net  :angel:  These guidelines just make sure we are all on the same wavelength, help eliminate confusion, and ensure everyone's safety.

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
Re: Convoy Procedures and Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 06:13:57 PM »
All looks good to me.... Except the bit about travelling in order of height .... Ow wait, that's just photo day at school!

Offline Terry W4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired - loving every minute of it
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 06:15:08 PM »
Great sense - all understood and clear messages. One could not want more. Just as I have been trained.
Terry - Canberra ACT
2008 Prado 120 D4D and 2009 Swan Outback
Blog Travels with Terry: https://terrywalls.wordpress.com

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 08:40:36 PM »

Also do radio checks as depending on the distance between vehiclas , terrain and size of antennas some last vehicles may not hear the instructions. Sometimes you may need a person in the middle to relay messages.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline lindamc

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Woodsies Photography
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 06:21:53 AM »
what if tail end charlie decides to have a stop and loses communication with the main convoy? does he announce the car in front of him to take up tail end charlie duties? :)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Linda & Kristin
Prado & Aussie jay camper
Melbourne

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 08:28:31 AM »
Best if they let both the car in front know and the message also gets passed onto the trip leader before they actually do stop.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:32:18 AM by JCOJ »