Author Topic: An interesting read  (Read 14571 times)

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: An interesting read
« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2019, 05:41:57 PM »
Hey Swannie, were you a soft touch or the senior man, company I worked for it was always the responsibility of the senior man or woman at the function to pay, no ifs, no buts, left the accountants no room to complain.  :cheers: :cheers:
This has been a pretty standard approach in the major public companies I have worked for. Essentially meant that someone not in attendance had to sign off  on the expense claim.

These days even if I get shouted a $10 lunch I need to register it on the ‘system’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #51 on: December 02, 2019, 05:55:16 PM »
Quote from: DrewXT
I haven't been to one of my employers Xmas parties for at least 7 years... I've got no interest in going to watch a bunch of phucktards I don't like get pissed

Few of us asked if we could go to Indochine/Tien Dat or even Blacky pub for a countery while gettin the carwashed at Ramjeets nextdoor..
They wouldnt go for it :(
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #52 on: December 02, 2019, 06:42:57 PM »
Quote : "
The current Mob, a big company,
We no longer get a company  Christmas party, Just an in House $50 company voucher . "

From what we understand.
As of the end last financial year period, This years generous Company to staff $50 Christmas in house voucher  gift has been cancelled ..
How ever, junior to senior and CEO Management have been approved for and granted a 10 > 20% wage increase ..
I guess if there is a change of heart .. we will see in a couple of weeks ...
This scene  may have crossed a few minds  ;D  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLWXkT7g9T8
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 06:45:55 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2019, 09:37:24 AM »
Our volunteer group usually has a bi-monthly meeting on Tuesday nights.

Last meeting, I put forward a suggestion that we change them to Saturday lunchtime to have a short meeting over a cold beer, followed by a barbie lunch. Everybody thought this was a great idea so we'll go with it.

Our President decided, by himself, that that would apparently cost too much, so, as per the reminder that's just come through:

"The December meeting will not be held tonight. We will meet this  Saturday at 12:30 at the hall.

This will be followed by an informal get together.

Bring your own food and drinks. We'll have the BBQ operating if you want to cook your own meat"

& that is also supposed to be this year's Christmas function / than you to everybody for their efforts during the year! ::) :'( >:(

Gee, thanks :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2019, 10:42:02 AM »
Our volunteer group usually has a bi-monthly meeting on Tuesday nights.

Last meeting, I put forward a suggestion that we change them to Saturday lunchtime to have a short meeting over a cold beer, followed by a barbie lunch. Everybody thought this was a great idea so we'll go with it.

Our President decided, by himself, that that would apparently cost too much, so, as per the reminder that's just come through:

"The December meeting will not be held tonight. We will meet this  Saturday at 12:30 at the hall.

This will be followed by an informal get together.

Bring your own food and drinks. We'll have the BBQ operating if you want to cook your own meat"

& that is also supposed to be this year's Christmas function / than you to everybody for their efforts during the year! ::) :'( >:(

Gee, thanks :'(

I,d be sticking a rocket up this pricks arse mate.....Hold your own meeting and dont invite him!!
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2019, 10:48:53 AM »
Quote from: Bigfish
Hold your own meeting and dont invite him!!
x eleventy
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2019, 12:14:43 PM »
Sadly so many managers these days don’t understand the goodwill they can create by not being tight arsed when it comes to bbqs, Xmas shows, Friday night drinks etc.
I know lots of my staff would not hesitate to work a little bit of extra time if required.
Always did a monthly meeting over a meal and drinks, Xmas dinner at a nice restaurant for them and a partner plus the occasional bbq in summer. Plus plenty thank yous  for jobs well done
I always remember one of my bosses saying you’ll always catch more bees with honey!
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2019, 06:07:52 PM »
Long story but.... About 10 years ago I gave a young engineer a start. At the time his wife was pregnant and had a baby just as he started with us. They lived on the central coast and the job was in Newcastle so he came up every week for a couple of months before they found a house. When they eventually moved we sent his wife a big bunch of flowers to welcome her to town and thank her for supporting her husband to support us. She was over the moon. Fast forward 10 years and we needed a new engineer in my current team. I reached out to this same engineer and despite him having multiple offers he moved from SA to QLD to join us. He has done fantastically well, and is now my peer rather than my report. He has even won a team member of the month award.

Small gestures can make a huge difference!

Also reminds of an old boss who said whenever you hire somebody, hire somebody better than you. Don’t feel threatened they will take your job because you are both much more likely to succeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2019, 08:30:56 AM »
Always did a monthly meeting over a meal and drinks, Xmas dinner at a nice restaurant for them and a partner plus the occasional bbq in summer. Plus plenty thank yous  for jobs well done

Yep, the monthly meetings used to finish with the beer fridge being opened for an hour or so (& everybody put in $2 for a beer, so no cost to the group) but that stopped last year. Yes, you can say that it's on the "bosses" head if anything happens to one of us while driving home after having had a couple of beers, but ... :'(

We also used to have a sit-down dinner once a year for awards night, with local dignitaries invited, but they've stopped as well. His comment was that they're too much work to organise (although he has never done any of the organising for them ::)) & (I think the real problem ???) that it doesn't feel good to him sitting at the top table with guests & their partners, while there are "only" 40 odd members & partners out there - he apparently wants a cast of 1000's :'(

Unfortunately, as with all small groups, there's no-one else (including me!) even remotely interested in taking on the job, so there's nothing likely to change :'(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday