Author Topic: New VMS mounted in GU.  (Read 1152 times)

Offline NQ42GU

• Sleeping Bag User
New VMS mounted in GU.
« on: February 04, 2014, 09:29:48 PM »
Gday,

Just thought I'd share with you all how I mounted my new VMS Lite in our GU. I dont like having stuff cluttering up the dash and the VMS mount and screen were in the way a bit. I'm not too keen on having the Nav stuff permanently mounted as most times I know where I am going. (Or the wife tells me where to go ;D) So after a bit of head scratching and taking apart the factory mount I came up with this.

This bit is permanently mounted here. I can still open the pocket to get my wallet and phone but its not too obtrusive. Its stuck on with double sided tape so no drilling holes. I got a bit of 12mm Ally to pack it out a little.

And when I want the VMS attached it clips onto the mount. Looks ok I reckon.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 09:31:54 PM by NQ42GU »
05 4.2 GU with some gear and home made off road soft floor.

Offline DropBearRacing

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: New VMS mounted in GU.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 03:32:22 PM »
Nice work there.  I too don't like the dash being cluttered.  I like the face that it sits in that hole under it.  Being able to hide the navigator or take it with you stops all those opportunistic oxygen thieves from having a go at your hard earned property.  I know suction mounts can be moved real easy as well but I don't like suction mounts on the windscreen, dash etc.
The Bear made me do it!!

time

Re: New VMS mounted in GU.
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 03:41:09 PM »
Good idea.  You can also "pop" the cover (undo two screws on the bottom edge first) around the radio and heater controls and run the power cable behind it down to come out just above the cig socket.  Done that with my tablet lead and it looks a lot neater.