Author Topic: 2013 Stockton Beach Cleanup Day  (Read 1172 times)

Offline bodgie

• Tent User
2013 Stockton Beach Cleanup Day
« on: October 27, 2013, 05:03:55 PM »
I was up at the cleanup day today and it still amazes me at the amount of rubbish people leave in the bush.

We had the usual bottle, cans, plastics, things etc....., for some reason people still think aluminium, glass and plastic burn. I'd hazard a guess that we pulled a carton of empty cans and bottles out of the sand in a few hours.

The most bizarre item we found was a sex toy, a device to extend something for those who are interested.

I haven't been to Stockton for a couple of years, to me the place is looking pretty good at the moment. The closures have helped the northern end of the beach recover, there is more plant life like grasses etc than I have even seen before.

There still isn't much beach around the Lavis Lane entrance, it is still quite narrow in places, particularly at high tide.

The management plan was released yesterday, there will be a number of restrictions if the plan is accepted, camping and dune access are the two that people will not like.

My view after a cursory look at it is it is pretty good, we will still have access to Stockton Beach.

I'm sure there will be plenty who bitch about the plan though, I'll guess the 4WD Action crew will be the loudest. Interesting thing is they bitch about potentially losing access to land, yet I did not see a single representative of 4WD Action up there helping out with the cleanup.

If you are interested in having a look at the draft management plan, you can find it here:

http://www.worimiconservationlands.com/services.php?top=services&category=plan

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: 2013 Stockton Beach Cleanup Day
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 06:25:16 PM »
We have been camping on Stockton since 92 and although we never got to attend official clean up day but we have still shifted what must be tonnes of other peoples rubbish after each trip we made. It is unbelievable how many bottles etc have been left dumped on the dunes and we knew it would only be a matter of time before it got closed down. Got mixed feelings about the closures and angry that yet another area has been closed off to the public but even angrier with those members of the public who trashed it and caused the authorities to act.

Thanks for the draft plan, looks like only 30 camp sites in the draft with lots of limitations. I blame the idiots who trashed it.