Author Topic: Best Engine upgrade for GU Patrol?  (Read 45712 times)

Offline hodgefamily

• Swag User
  • 2000 2.8 patrol, GIC Ex Offrd, 3 boys, 1 wife.
    • Hodge Carpentry
Best Engine upgrade for GU Patrol?
« on: October 31, 2012, 07:56:18 AM »
Swaggers,
Taking suggestions for the best upgrade from a 2.8TD.  Looking for an economical and powerful engine. The V10 diesel out of the Tourage would be nice, but not sure.
Thinking of upgrading the engine repainting and a good drivetrain check will be cheaper than upgrading to a new fourby.
Looking forward to the suggestions. :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:39:55 AM by BigJules »

I say we remove the bitumen and make all the roads dirt.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Re: Best Engine upgrade for GU Parol?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 08:02:32 AM »
Are any of the engine upgrades really worth the money?

How much have you invested in the vehicle? If you've got all the fruit bolted to it, then maybe there is an economical upgrade otherwise it always seems that one might be better off trading on a later model vehicle.

But, I delivered a tractor to a bloke down in Victoria last week with a really cool GQ and his recommended engine is a Chevy 350 diesel with turbo, backed by a turbo 400 box with manual shifter mod. I think he said the engines were hard to come by so possibly you'd need to be lookng in the States.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:40:48 AM by BigJules »
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
Best Engine upgrade for GU Parol?
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 08:04:15 AM »
And to avoid all the usual Nissan v Toyota rubbish I can assure you that the bonnet was only up so I could look at the beauty within. This is one serious rig.
Julian

Offline mrdenn1s

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Dennis Does Cricket
Re: Best Engine upgrade for GU Patrol?
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 08:31:02 AM »
A Nissan Micra engine would be an upgrade
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:39:42 AM by BigJules »
2014 Blue Water Tanami Soft floor Camper
2000 Landcruiser 105 GXL Inline 6
2011 Kia Sorento

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 09:13:24 AM »
We wnet through similar issues recently with the failure of our 3.0L.

Did all the sums and unless you can do the work yourself, any diesel engine conversion is expensive. Cheapest option was a NA chev diesel and you are still looking at $30-35k. The dream duramax seams to add anothe $10-15k on top of this.

Even though the trol was already extensively modded, I could just not justify sinking another $40k into it, so it was patched and traded in on the 200. I believe there comes a time when you need to just cut your losses and move on.

Cheers, Craig
Cheers, Craig

Offline Kelpies

• Learning the Ropes
  • Real dogs for real jobs
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 09:15:04 AM »
Best upgrade for a Patrol would be a Toyota Prado ;D

Offline GU_Thomo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 09:40:38 AM »

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 09:52:10 AM »
There is only one, Duramax.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/members-nissan-patrols-19/my-duramax-gu-4-a-57239/

Cheers
Parry

Parry, there is no question that is a fantastic engine, but I believe it is $20-30K for the upgrade. Is an older GU worth spending that sort of money on?
Julian

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2012, 09:57:04 AM »
Quote from: BigJules
Parry, there is no question that is a fantastic engine, but I believe it is $20-30K for the upgrade. Is an older GU worth spending that sort of money on?
Ummmm thats if you supply the gear yourself.. your 1/2 way there drive in/drive out.

I agree with Cam, none are worth it. its cheaper to upgrade your truck. $30-60k on a conversion? Why?

Good luck with electrics on the Euro cars, mate works for BMW and I discussed it with him, and theres too many sensors and ****.. time and cost would not be worth it.

Quote from: GU_Thomo
There is only one, Duramax.
yea they burn well  ;D :D ;D.  The constnt issues Vince has had with his, I'd never do it. Not that I could afford it.

It does go insanely well with the 6sp alison auto (back to a 5sp in his), but it just isnt worth the cost.
And having tried working on the engine bay with Vince its a nightmare.

Google for Project Toni on Exploroz.. That would be a top option if you could do it.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2012, 10:02:40 AM »
Swaggers,
Taking suggestions for the best upgrade from a 2.8TD.  Looking for an economical and powerful engine. The V10 diesel out of the Tourage would be nice, but not sure.
Thinking of upgrading the engine repainting and a good drivetrain check will be cheaper than upgrading to a new fourby.

A Nissan 4.2TD of course :)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
Re: Best Engine upgrade for GU Parol?
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 10:21:37 AM »
Quote from: BigJules
..engine is a Chevy 350 diesel with turbo, backed by a turbo 400 box with manual shifter mod.

5.7 Oldsmobile engine. made until 1985... so very old.
Purchase + rebuild + turbo + box + fitting/engineers = best part of a used Prado.

In stock form, it isnt much better than the 2.8 on paper.
Horsepower: 125 HP (80 odd kw!)@ 3,600 RPM
Torque: 225 lb-ft. (300newtons)@ 1,800 RPM

http://www.dieselhub.com/idi/olds-diesel.html
but again sadly your not going to get out of a full conversion and engineers to make it worth while.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Davepatrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 4.2 Patrol with a lot of extras
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 11:06:54 AM »

Google for Project Toni on Exploroz.. That would be a top option if you could do it.
[/quote]

Here's a link http://www.exploroz.com/Members/46173.6/8/2008/Project_TONI.aspx
Plenty of reading there.
Cheers Dave.

Offline MADCOW

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Rescue Fish from Water and Beer from Bottles
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 11:36:55 AM »

Here's a link http://www.exploroz.com/Members/46173.6/8/2008/Project_TONI.aspx
Plenty of reading there.
Cheers Dave.

I did follow that with much interest! It sure is a good combination and cost him around 20 grand from memory but he probably did most of the work himself and had the time to have it off the road.
03 4.2 TDI Gu, Mountain Trail Extended Escape Camper,
 June 2018 Terrain Tamer Calendar

Offline GeeTee

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • GT Campers premium off-road trailers and Toyota Hilux Expedition conversions
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 12:38:09 PM »
A GM/Holden LS1 (all-alloy 5.7-litre V8 - pre drive-by-wire) is a lovely upgrade due to healthy and linear torque delivery and good fuel efficiency and it won't cost 'drug' money; I went for a run in a GU recently as a passenger and IIRC the owner said around $15K. However, I am happy to stand corrected.

Have you had a look at Marks 4WD adapters? (or similar biz name) and I know Mannell Motors in Sydney has experience here

Don't look a what the Nissan will be 'worth' when it is finshed - do it because you want to!

GT Campers: Off-road touring trailer or Toyota Hilux Expedition
Purpose-designed and built off-road touring vehicles. Innovation not imitation!
Find us on Facebook

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 04:16:28 PM »

I would stick with the 2.8 and have it rebuilt, new turbo, chip and exhaust, front mount intercooler, new triple core alloy radiator and a good dyno tune.  I am no nissan expert but am lead to believe that the 2.8 can make some very good power/torque whilst remaining reliable (provided the coolant side of things is watched).

If you can do the work yourself of course then the GM diesels seem to be quite popular.  Cant see the point in any petrol engine swap seeing as you can pick up 4.8 patrols cheap.

have fun!
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 04:26:11 PM »
I would stick with the 2.8 and have it rebuilt, new turbo, chip and exhaust.........

I agree. Much simpler than any of the alternatives.

Talk to Matt at United Fuel Injection in Perth for the good oil.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/ok-rd28-fans-here-turbo-upgrade-76873/

I have one of his turbos on my TD42T, and it's a big improvement over the stock unit.

Cheers,
Geoff
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 04:31:37 PM »
Quote from: dazzler
I would stick with the 2.8 and have it rebuilt, new turbo, chip and exhaust, front mount intercooler, new triple core alloy radiator and a good dyno tune.
It sounds good, but maynot be the best.

There are those on the Patrol forum that have done this and regretted it greatly in the end. Jed even offered free delivery on his rebuilt 2.8 to anyone who wanted it.
It isnt a cheap option either... for the price of what you've listed you could go a turbo 4.2 and autobox..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2012, 04:31:53 PM »
Hi hodgefamily ,

Any engine conversion is going to cost dollars , like you I had to weigh up the cost of the rebuild to replacement of the old girl, (1991 GQ ), and I decided that I would stick with what I have and if down the track I want to upgrade to a later model I could transfeer everything over.

If I were in your position I would be looking around for a good TD42T or TD42Ti with gear box/transfere case , have the turbo modified to have roller bearings and have a fuel pump rebuild/upgrade to 11mm plungers and stick with everything Nissan. Easy to access parts when out and about and a dead set realiable power source.

Info on turbo upgrade- http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?6993-GU-TD42-Turbo-Upgrade

Link to my build up-http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=14078.0

cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline heath74

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2012, 05:51:14 PM »
Every time I've driven/toured/camped with someone who has done an engine swap, it has been the most unreliable car in the group, to the point of frustration of the rest of the group and embarrassment of its owner. Without fail, the owner has said never again. The worst bit is once you go down the path, you are committed to the car no matter what, on top of that good luck selling it once you have customised.

Sorry mate, I just don't think it's worth it. I'd suggest strip and sell your bolt ons, on eBay, this will cover half the cost of modding your new truck.

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2012, 06:35:37 PM »
Every time I've driven/toured/camped with someone who has done an engine swap, it has been the most unreliable car in the group, to the point of frustration of the rest of the group and embarrassment of its owner. Without fail, the owner has said never again. The worst bit is once you go down the path, you are committed to the car no matter what, on top of that good luck selling it once you have customised.

Sorry mate, I just don't think it's worth it. I'd suggest strip and sell your bolt ons, on eBay, this will cover half the cost of modding your new truck.

Tend to agree with Heath.  If however you do want to do an engine upgrade go and take an STX Navara for a drive and see what you think of the power from the Nissan V6.  If I had an issue with our Troll that would be my first option...  Not sure of what a new engine would cost or what is involved in getting the V6 up and running in a Patrol but reckon it would be a great option.

:cheers:
Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2012, 10:24:42 AM »
Taking suggestions for the best upgrade from a 2.8TD.  Looking for an economical and powerful engine.

You can have powerful, or economical - which is it to be? :)

Some people have converted their diesel 2.8 motors to petrol - it's the same engine block as used in Skylines, and you can get it to make an awful lot of power as a petrol. No issues with engine mounts, gearbox adapters etc.

Fivid, I agree on the Navara V6 - it should come standard in GUs. A written off Navara from the auctions would be the way to go.
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline hodgefamily

• Swag User
  • 2000 2.8 patrol, GIC Ex Offrd, 3 boys, 1 wife.
    • Hodge Carpentry
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2012, 11:07:04 AM »
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I liked the TONI build. And the suggestions for a full overhaul of the 2.8 might be easier. Nick Mannell used to sponsor our 4x4 club before i moved to QLD so i'll have to get back in touch with him for his suggestions. He did say to me once that the TD6 (i think) has the best engine. I'm not taking into account resale or anything like that. I love my Patrol and the places it has been able to take me with only a 2in lift, snorkel and DChip. I've recently had to put a new head in it, which was not done be a great mechanic so it's just not the same. It's a lot noisier and drops off a lot more with the CT on the back. I have all the extras on it and am very comfortable in it. It will be a handme down to my son in 10yrs, if i can by a new 4x4 that is as capable straight out the box as this one. I hate buying new cars and the cost of revamping my old one is still a lot less than buying a new or newish second hand one.
 :cheers:

I say we remove the bitumen and make all the roads dirt.

Offline jclures

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2012, 08:37:00 PM »
It amuses me when people talk about engine swaps and say they are not reliable, in my old Nissan I first fitted a Holden 308, with this conversion I travels all over Australia, never had a problem. With my current conversion I have also travel over a vast area of Australia, also with no reliability problems.
In my opinion a good conversion done well is no more unreliable than the factory vehicle, it just has to be done well.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2012, 09:34:54 PM »
You can have powerful, or economical - which is it to be? :)

It's like when race car engine builders give their customers 3 options.

Cheap
Reliable
Powerful

"you can have any two you want, but never all three"

As for those 350 Chev/Oldsmobile V8 diesels.  Unreliable rubbish.  Mate had a HZ wagon Overlander with one.  Spat head gaskets and never seem to run right, eventually got replaced with a 308.

Back on topic.  I'd look for a 4.2TD, least you know it fits!  The only other cheapish/reliable conversion would an LS1 chev.

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 10:45:06 PM »
The V10 would be great but I don't think I could even fit one to my car.   Everything on these cars is too integrated and interdependent.   For example on the Touareg forum the answer to the common question of retrofitting air suspension is to sell your car and buy another.   No one talks of engine swaps.
Sounds like an exercise in Porcine Aviation.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:51:30 PM by Patr80l »
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200