Author Topic: Most useless Camping Gadget  (Read 46722 times)

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
Most useless Camping Gadget
« on: October 04, 2012, 12:42:43 PM »
Having seen lots of cool gadgets that people like, I am wondering what people bought with high hopes, only to find it was utterly useless.

After carting the Waeco Fridge stand around for three weeks, it is going to be given away.  Nearly got thrown in the bin half way through the trip when it bounced around in the trailer and got wedged in an awkward place.  Seriously, the fridge can sit on the ground, and if I am worried about it getting wet underneath in heavy rain it can be brought inside or put in the Jeep.   The stand is just awkward to carry for too little benefit.

What gadgets have you ditched?

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
Re: Most useless Camping Gadget
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 12:49:06 PM »
If you're chucking it I'll take it.  8)

Most useless thing I've taken camping was a pommie mate; sat around watching me do everything.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 01:02:20 PM »
12 volt jug, big dollars but takes forever to boil and uses too much power. Used for one trip never to be used again.

cheers duggie
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »
Having seen lots of cool gadgets that people like, I am wondering what people bought with high hopes, only to find it was utterly useless.

After carting the Waeco Fridge stand around for three weeks, it is going to be given away.  Nearly got thrown in the bin half way through the trip when it bounced around in the trailer and got wedged in an awkward place.  Seriously, the fridge can sit on the ground, and if I am worried about it getting wet underneath in heavy rain it can be brought inside or put in the Jeep.   The stand is just awkward to carry for too little benefit.

We love our waeco stand! It packs up into a small bag a bit like a little camera tripod, no hassles at all......poor little stand getting picked on!!

Our most useless camping gadget would of been bloody air mattresses......cant beat the inner spring ;)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »
Hi,
   12Volt hair dryer.

cheers

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 02:17:08 PM »

So far we've ditched alot of useless things.  Can't remember what they all were, but they were useless.  Weren't used after X trips ... gone.

Folding toilet seat with plastic bag holder - gone - replaced with porta loo.
Roast holding prongs - ain't doing nothing that a set of tongs can't do - gone.
Bread board with large burn mark from hot camp oven - no longer flat - gone.   ;D  Oops!
Fry pan - we've got a BBQ plate as well - gone.
Egg rings - never used - gone.
Anything associated with 18 year old male - never wants to come along now - gone.
30,000 knives, forks, spoons - there's only 2 of us - gone.

At least that's the idea ...

Kit_e

2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Swaggie

• Tent User
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 02:26:39 PM »

Most useless thing I've taken camping was a pommie mate; sat around watching me do everything.

Yeah mate and they dont even have to be Poms..Just once i would love for someone to pick me up,all the gear loaded and supplied,all the food in the fridge,and at Dinner time someone cook me a meal plus pancakes why i just sit on my fat lazy ass watching my mate do it.....Then be dropped off home and not have to unpack a thing...

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 02:39:21 PM »
We bought a coleman coffee maker for the gas stove, it took so long to make a cup of coffee you could have driven 50km and back to the nearest town. And to top it all off the coffee wasn't that hot >:(

LB
2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 02:42:12 PM »
A few years ago we bought a $120 fluro light, Shaped like a lantern, rechargeable,  240v - 12v, cigarette adapter.
Heavy bloody thing as well.
Was suppose to last 6 hours, lasted maybe two if that and the light is as useless as a match.
This was before led's took off.
Sits in the shed on a shelf collecting dust, just waiting for me to find the energy to throw the buggar out.
 :cheers:

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 04:12:18 PM »

Already gave ours the flick.  The spring loaded buttons to hold it open would not release to allow it to be folded.  When set up it the fridge was never stable on it (only a small fridge)  More hassle then what it was worth. It is gone
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline ruskie

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 04:21:31 PM »
My Engel Fridge stand, got it with our 80 Litre Engel, as part of an extra pack, kept the fridge case/jacket (whatever it is called) and the wife loves the clip lock food storage containers though. The stand just didn't look stable enough for my liking.

Sold it to someone that was happy with the wobble, said they were going to put a small esky on it. So everyone is happy   :D

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 04:42:24 PM »
12 volt jug, big dollars but takes forever to boil and uses too much power. Used for one trip never to be used again.

cheers duggie

Yep, the wife bought one for the boat, which is just a floating camper, and i tell ya, that jug would take forever.

I cost a bit too, so i can't bring myself to throw it away.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2012, 05:55:35 PM »

Not silly was he.... :cup:

BHG

Poverty Pack.!

Offline pommiedic

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2012, 06:04:23 PM »
The Wife.................
Why is the 1st Tea of the day the best?

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2012, 07:02:03 PM »
The Wife.................

How about those husbands who with out fail turn ferrel during set up and pack up ;D ;D ;D

LB

2017 BT-50 GT

Offline Kalebjarrod

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2012, 07:18:34 PM »
Toasters for a gas cooker

They all fail, never get used
HILUX D4D + LIFESTYLE WALKTHROUGH

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2012, 07:29:01 PM »
Toasters for a gas cooker

They all fail, never get used

Ohh forgot about that one sooooo true ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

LB
2017 BT-50 GT

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2012, 07:47:28 PM »
How about those husbands who with out fail turn ferrel during set up and pack up ;D ;D ;D

LB
Have you been talking to my wife......

Offline Jenko67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
Our Ecopot, love the food but alittle inconvenient....i suppose I could plan better and use it more..

Offline Big Tread

• Tent User
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2012, 08:02:14 PM »
We bought a coleman coffee maker for the gas stove, it took so long to make a cup of coffee you could have driven 50km and back to the nearest town. And to top it all off the coffee wasn't that hot >:(

LB

I bought a single cup stove top espresso maker. It comes with a little metal cup that sits under spout. The problem is to make the coffee the cup has to sit under the spout while the little pot boils so the cup gets too hot to hold. By the time it cools down enough the coffee is also cold. Useless!

Oh, and so are those combination folding table and seat contraptions.  We finally got rid of ours. Replaced it with some blow moulded bench seats and a more sturdy table.

Cheers,
Big Tread
-----------------------------------------
2007 VX Prado
Tambo Omeo

Offline dirtpilot

• Tent User
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2012, 10:06:21 PM »

One of the first portable gas hot water sevices. Cannot remember the brand. It was arecatangle blue box. Cost a bomb, failed first shower. Repaired under warranty. Failed again. Turfed it in anger. Replaced with a cheaper instant ebay hot water service.

Aldi blow up canoe. Took and hour to fill up the 30 or so air chambers, then folded in two when in use. Thrown in bin. The paddles still live in the tinny.

The now ex girl freind. Chucked out half a tonne of useless junk out of the camping kit. :D

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2012, 11:42:28 PM »
One of the first portable gas hot water sevices. Cannot remember the brand. It was arecatangle blue box. Cost a bomb, failed first shower. Repaired under warranty. Failed again. Turfed it in anger. Replaced with a cheaper instant ebay hot water service.

Aldi blow up canoe. Took and hour to fill up the 30 or so air chambers, then folded in two when in use. Thrown in bin. The paddles still live in the tinny.

The now ex girl freind. Chucked out half a tonne of useless junk out of the camping kit. :D

One of the first portable gas hot water sevices. Cannot remember the brand. It was arecatangle blue box.

Primus. Mine is also under the house from 7 years ago >:(
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

bunyip

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2012, 07:32:01 AM »

LB

I wasn't that bad on the weekend :D

Offline Fun Police

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2012, 08:19:50 AM »
Feral.  That'd be me.  Something I've got to learn is that all other people are not a smart as me :) :) and settle down a bit!!
You can't spell 'funeral' without 'fun', nor 'manslaughter' without 'laughter'

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2012, 10:41:50 AM »
A few years ago we bought a $120 fluro light, Shaped like a lantern, rechargeable,  240v - 12v, cigarette adapter.
Sits in the shed on a shelf collecting dust, just waiting for me to find the energy to throw the buggar out.
We have the exact same one - it's red. Exact same thing happened to ours - completely useless now. It was a birthday present, so I can't bring myself to throw it out. For now, it's the bedside light in our spare room (yes, we live like royalty).

Kit-E - if you don't want your egg rings I'll take them! We have a black hole in our camper that swallows egg rings so we never seem to have any. Always end up using a large cup to cut holes in pieces of bread to serve as rings.

Cheers!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.