Author Topic: Kimberly Kamper to expand...  (Read 5849 times)

Offline Renno

• Soft Floor Camper User
Kimberly Kamper to expand...
« on: November 29, 2011, 05:37:40 PM »
Found this in today's local rag......
Renno.....

« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 05:39:16 PM by Renno »

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Kimberly Kamper to expand...
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 05:45:24 PM »
Looks like they are following in AORC's footsteps.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:52:46 PM »
Personally I wouldn't be sinking my $$ into a high end, niche, saturated market. They should keep doing what they're good at. When the next GFC hits the future grey nomads won't be able to retire let alone afford a 200 series and KK caravan. They missed the boat and Mr Jayco is sitting back laughing all the way to the bank.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 07:58:52 PM »
What makes you think the market is saturated? It seems more and more retirees are heading off.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 08:10:04 PM »
No matter what people think of KK........they seem to sell everything they make....and price rises don't seem to deter people.....so expect a completely different looking approach to the high end market to sell like hot cakes..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 08:13:30 PM »
At that end of the market, $100K+ full time vans, you already have Bushtracker, Kedron, Sunland and numerous other manufacturers all hungry for business. With the property market in the crapper, the new nomads won't be able to sell their house to drop $200K on a tug and caravan and they will lose 20-30% of their super investment when the market goes tits up again. Most likely they'll hit the road in something smaller and cheaper.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 04:02:44 AM »
Like it or not, its a two speed economy out there. If you are anywhere near the mining industry and prepared to work (I am typing this from Swakopmund, Namiba), then the $100K camper is affordable. Work hard, invest wisely and look forward to the fruits from your labour 8)   Manufacturers like KK, AORC and others have great products that remind you why you spend lonley nights in a hotel room away from your family  :'(

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The Camper trailer Whisperer
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 05:45:16 AM »
Like it or not, its a two speed economy out there. If you are anywhere near the mining industry and prepared to work (I am typing this from Swakopmund, Namiba), then the $100K camper is affordable. Work hard, invest wisely and look forward to the fruits from your labour 8)   Manufacturers like KK, AORC and others have great products that remind you why you spend lonley nights in a hotel room away from your family  :'(

Cheers

Captain

Here here!,

Port Headland next week. PNG in January and US again in February. The little bit that they tack on to my pay at the end of each quarter soon makes up for all the time away from my 3 adorable children and my ever so committed wife.

My brother is buying a KK next year his mind has been made up and he is ready to comit. I think that Kimbely hold one of the better ends of the market with a good product that holds it value well. There are allways people with money no matter how bad the economy.

My father has a saying "Either get bigger or get out" It's like growing crops some years you have perfect conditions and other years you don't. You just need to go with the flow and sometimes take a gamble. Most of the successful people in this world took a gamble at some point or another and it paid off. Never play with what you aren't prepared to lose though.

Ultimate are also expanding their range with the juggernaught so the must know something also. They haven't released any details on it yet but from what I have been hearing there is a fair bit of interest in it.
I hvae tlruobe wtih selplnig and dxsyliea. NOW I'TS YUOR TRUN!

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 08:25:45 AM »
Good luck to them if there are enough retiring mine workers to buy them but I don't think it is a sustainable business.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline TOY80ST

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • The Camper trailer Whisperer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 08:40:18 AM »
Wish I could get my brother to become a mine worker ;D

He is a school teacher. just lucky he did a trade before he became one.
I hvae tlruobe wtih selplnig and dxsyliea. NOW I'TS YUOR TRUN!

Offline jaycamrie

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »
Sounds like i need one of those mine jobs, wife is  sick of milking cows ;D

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 01:04:02 PM »
All the existing players are in the BIG catogry- large 3.5 tonne dual axle and can travel the rough roads BUT have limitations due to size.
It also means the large 200 series vehicle and a ^$200k price bracket

its interesting the move to smaller all terrain campers (Hybrids) is taking off- complete camper, AORC matrix, KK as above and the Ultimate juganaut?.
These with a Prado/ pajero etc can get all the features of the larger vans at $50k  less money.

does a couple of nomads really need 24" caravan- in the past if they wanted to go off road then yes 3.5 tonne behind the cruiser was the only way to travel if you didn't want canvas but wanted to explore the backroads WITHOUT it all falling to bits

Now to find one of these hybrids that caters for the kids and not just the couples

'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My online pics
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 01:54:08 PM »
...Now to find one of these hybrids that caters for the kids and not just the couples...
Take a look at the AORC Quantum, it can have up to 3 kids, though its obviously a tight squeeze. Mine is fitted with the table bed and the single bunk bed for my 2 kids (G14, B12) and is the best thing since sliced bread for the 4 of us.

I used to have a Windsor Rapid, went to a Camprite and now have the Quantum which really is in between the two previous campers, plus some luxury things like shower (inside and out) and toilet - wife now comes on virtually every trip  8)

Cheers

Captain
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:57:51 PM by Captain »
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 03:17:36 PM »
Take a look at the AORC Quantum, it can have up to 3 kids, though its obviously a tight squeeze. Mine is fitted with the table bed and the single bunk bed for my 2 kids (G14, B12) and is the best thing since sliced bread for the 4 of us.

I used to have a Windsor Rapid, went to a Camprite and now have the Quantum which really is in between the two previous campers, plus some luxury things like shower (inside and out) and toilet - wife now comes on virtually every trip  8)

Cheers

Captain
A good mate of ours has a Quantum, I could live with the kids above us but not the wife.  Just a little bit too squeezy.

looking into a custom van ATM, a crossover between the windsor/ expanda setup at the front to get that little bit extra room to allow for bunks within the same floor space as the quantum.

looked real close at the matrix, but they were not interested in converting the lounge into a "bunk lounge" and would have prefered the "outdoor kitchen" of the quantum extra space inside.

Will be interesting to see what designs the KK comes up with.  Just have to look at the explosion of jayco campers on the market (and here) to see the demand for something a little bit fancy, but still maintain the single axle offroad ability/ size.

Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline Blinky Bill

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2013 Pajero auto diesel & 2000 Kimberley Kamper
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 12:25:47 PM »
I'm keen to see what KK come up with in their new fixed roof caravan as despite being a fan of the Karavan, I'm starting to wonder about the 'age' effect of Moi & Wifey.

After 3 months travelling around Oz (in a Kimberley Kamper) we started to see the advantage of a walk-in no set-up type of caravan. That's when we spotted the Matrix from AOCT & so far they seem the best bet.

Anyone have an opinion on the Matrix?
Reminds me of my safari in Africa. Somebody forgot the corkscrew and for several days we had to live on nothing but food and water.
W. C. Fields (1880 - 1946)

Offline ddr

• Tent User
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 12:33:23 PM »
All the existing players are in the BIG catogry- large 3.5 tonne dual axle and can travel the rough roads BUT have limitations due to size.
It also means the large 200 series vehicle and a ^$200k price bracket

There are brands of real offroad vans that are nowhere near 3.5 tonne nor the size you suggest.  yes they are still expensive but not much different from what KK or Quantium make.

Trakmaster, Kedron & others all make smaller vans to suit peoples preference & some under 1.5 tonne.

Im not sure why people keep up this mis-belief that ALL off-road caravans are MASSIVE HEAVY expensive things.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 12:37:49 PM by ddr »

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 02:42:04 PM »
There are brands of real offroad vans that are nowhere near 3.5 tonne nor the size you suggest.  yes they are still expensive but not much different from what KK or Quantium make.

Trakmaster, Kedron & others all make smaller vans to suit peoples preference & some under 1.5 tonne.

Im not sure why people keep up this mis-belief that ALL off-road caravans are MASSIVE HEAVY expensive things.

you are mistaken Kedron ONLY make dual axle vans- I asked 2 years ago and have recently double checked- the van in the Fraser coast odesey is not available.
They now do make a 2.5 tonne dual axle van for the mid sized vehicle mob same as the bush trackers- BUT very limited accessories and styles due to fitting in with the weight.

I have priced up the bush trackers and they can make you anything- in dual axle, can be made around 2.5 tonne for a 17 foot- but you comprimise too much.

The others like the smaller trackmaster gibson etc are caravans and are too small inside.

I'd like a "hybrid" inside sleeping, small living area if bad elements - outside living and eating when its good.

Gemhunter or  spinifex will custom make a van- and this is probably the way I will go.  utilising a expanding bed in the front, and including a toilet shower and bunks. :cheers:
BUT the rapid will have to do the family a few years yet- plan is long service and the new camper in 2015.

Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My online pics
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2011, 04:55:23 AM »
...Anyone have an opinion on the Matrix? ....
The Matrix is IMHO the best single axle full height van around. It can now be had with the pullout kitchen option like the Quantum (but no pantry) so you have the best of both worlds, outside cooking but the option of inside if the weather turns sour. With a dry weigt of 1,700kg (2,200kg GTM) fully insulated fiberglass construction and the reknown AORC quality build, it is already a winner as AORC are building a significantly bigger factory to cope. Production is already sold well into 2012.

While I love my Quantum and it suits my needs perfectly for now, when I get to retire and travel fulltime (many years yet :(  ), more than likley it will be in a Matrix.

Cheers

Captain

Offline ddr

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2011, 06:16:00 AM »
The others like the smaller trackmaster gibson etc are caravans and are too small inside.

So that's ONE Trakmaster Model, what about the others in the ~15' category.

There are also other caravans in the same small/medium category with living space, cooking inside, even shower & toilet that don't weigh anywhere near 3 tonne. Supreme & others.
These vans are around 1.5 Tonne, same as the "Hybrid's".