Author Topic: Can Australia internet handle what’s coming it’s way??  (Read 12993 times)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Can Australia internet handle what’s coming it’s way??
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2020, 08:43:33 AM »
I suspect it's going to show the ISPs that are working and those that are over-subscribed to what they can offer.

Yep!

We're on HFC through Aussie BB, but only on a 25/5 plan, which does everything we need.

We usually get about 23 down & 4.7 up.

Just tested now & got 21.3 down & 4.6 up, at 8.30 on Monday morning, when everybody should be starting to do things, so  happy with that ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2020, 12:49:25 PM »
We're with TPG and also on HFC in inner Brisbane. Just ran speediest.net, 45.31Mbps download and 17.13Mbps upload on a 50Mbps plan.   :cup:

Offline Mace

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Life's to short to drive a boring vehicle.
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2020, 02:16:53 PM »
We're with TPG and also on HFC in inner Brisbane. Just ran speediest.net, 45.31Mbps download and 17.13Mbps upload on a 50Mbps plan.   :cup:

Ours (Iprimus) actually improved during the day.

Generally ran at 25-28Mbps down and 15-16Mpbs up.

I guess the early figure might have been due to everyone working from home using their connections at 9:00 AM to see how they performed.....

:cheers:
2009 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
2009 Coromal 452
2002 Commodore SS (The Toy)

Offline scrubber

• Swag User
« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2020, 07:17:54 AM »
I'm with iprimus and still on adsl2.  No NBN within cooee of us.  Network speed is going to Shit at night but is "ok" during the day.  I'm on an old capped plan and due to ALL their tech and sales support being in the Philippines, there  is zero support available at the moment.  You can't ring them, email them, live chat with em - nothing.  Just want to bump my plan to an unlimited one as 2 teenagers and work from home has smashed our data allowance.   I'll be moving to Aussie Broadband as soon as I can - assuming they still have a few old adsl plans left ;)  Their support is aussie based and from what I've seen so far been very active.
“Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong.” George Carlin

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2020, 07:27:34 AM »
I'm with iprimus and still on adsl2.  No NBN within cooee of us.  Network speed is going to Shit at night but is "ok" during the day.  I'm on an old capped plan and due to ALL their tech and sales support being in the Philippines, there  is zero support available at the moment.  You can't ring them, email them, live chat with em - nothing.  Just want to bump my plan to an unlimited one as 2 teenagers and work from home has smashed our data allowance.   I'll be moving to Aussie Broadband as soon as I can - assuming they still have a few old adsl plans left ;)  Their support is aussie based and from what I've seen so far been very active.

i'm not 100% sure Aussie have ADSL plans any more?  none on the website... maybe they hide them away...

might want to confirm that...

you are right about them being good... best around, IMO...

have you tried looking into NBN fixed wireless?

happy to check for you, if you want... PM if you want...

Offline geopaj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2020, 07:42:37 AM »

We’re with Aussie BB. Had a few teething problems but have always been impressed with their service support. Having  Australian based Support staff was one of the main reasons we chose them
NT Pajero VRX (My build - https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=47893 )

Sar Major Camper Trailer (My Build - http://www.myswag )

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2020, 10:08:39 AM »
We’re with Aussie BB. Had a few teething problems but have always been impressed with their service support. Having  Australian based Support staff was one of the main reasons we chose them

As are we.

& even if they haven't been able to sort things out, because it's a NBN problem that's out of their hands, it's just so good to be able to ring them, & you can both understand every word that each other are saying, & know that they are actually listening to your description of what is going on, rather than just reading off a script! ;D :cup:

Offline scrubber

• Swag User
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2020, 10:56:32 AM »
i'm not 100% sure Aussie have ADSL plans any more?  none on the website... maybe they hide them away...

might want to confirm that...

you are right about them being good... best around, IMO...

have you tried looking into NBN fixed wireless?

happy to check for you, if you want... PM if you want...

Nope not even fixed wireless.  NBN approached us to build the 50M tower on our block - we declined.  Its supposed to be built on a block up the road from us but as of now , not a rock has been moved so far to build it.  There's a ton of relatively inaccessible state government land (nothing a dozer wouldn't fix) up behind us this is higher to build but they chose to build it in front of someone house.  Fixed wireless or Skymuster will be our only options via NBN.  I am also seriously looking at  Optus 4G as I'm able to get over (90Mbs on my mobile with that).  They have a 500G for $68 a month plan from memory.  Either way, iPrimus's response has been nothing short of pathetic so I'm moving on (assuming that iPrimus could be bothered getting out of bed to help facilitate this).

With regards to AussieBB - my gut feeling is that they don't have any ADSL plans anymore. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 10:58:25 AM by scrubber »
“Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong.” George Carlin

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2020, 11:15:25 AM »
With regards to AussieBB - my gut feeling is that they don't have any ADSL plans anymore.

Think they may ???

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/index.php?s=ADSL

Punch your address into their system & see what they can do for you!

Offline scrubber

• Swag User
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2020, 11:41:47 AM »
Thanks - that helped clear the muddy waters - they don't offer ADSL to new customers.  Darn.
Optus 4G is looking enticing in the mean time...

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2020, 11:58:35 AM »
Thanks - that helped clear the muddy waters - they don't offer ADSL to new customers.  Darn.
Optus 4G is looking enticing in the mean time...

Damn :'(

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2020, 11:45:50 AM »
Trying to work today has been painful.
Just did a quick speed test on both of my connections.

Dual antenna, 4G modem hardwired to PC;
* Ping= 256 ms
* Down= 0.91 Mbps
* Up= 15.1 Mbps

ADSL hardwired to PC;
* Ping= 198 ms
* Down= 13.2 Mbps
* Up= 0.89 Mbps

Syncing a few GB worth of files today has been awesome..... ::)

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2020, 02:33:48 PM »
Upload poor but download speed is good

Offline bkim

• Tent User
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2020, 12:43:51 AM »
Upload poor but download speed is good

That seems to be the problem with a lot of people's connections at the moment!

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2020, 05:30:13 AM »
And at 5:28 am

Offline shakey55

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2020, 05:53:14 AM »
5:52am

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2020, 07:19:58 AM »
That seems to be the problem with a lot of people's connections at the moment!

Actually that's the way the network is designed, just like the power grid, for downstream consumption, not upstream, it is behaving as designed.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2020, 07:23:17 AM »
Actually that's the way the network is designed, just like the power grid, for downstream consumption, not upstream, it is behaving as designed.
Any insight into why ADSL and 4G are directly opposite?

As noted in my earlier post above, ADSL has no upload and 4G has no download.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2020, 07:46:33 AM »
Any insight into why ADSL and 4G are directly opposite?

As noted in my earlier post above, ADSL has no upload and 4G has no download.

Your ADSL looks normal, the 4G is weird, could be an anomaly with the speedtest, can you run it again?
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2020, 08:10:55 AM »
Your ADSL looks normal, the 4G is weird, could be an anomaly with the speedtest, can you run it again?

could it be that a large majority of people are using ADSL/NBN for video conferencing/web calling/facetiming now, but not many people are using 4G for the same thing?

so your ADSL is getting hammered in the upload because of the extra bandwidth for video upload, but people are still using 4G for mainly downloads?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 08:12:46 AM by paceman »

Offline chester ver2.0

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2020, 08:49:58 AM »
You guys need to stop complaining

My suburb must be the last one to get the NBN (June i have been told) at least it is Fibre to the Curb which is apparently quite fast

So for now the old ADSL modem is still chugging away giving me a blistering 5mb per sec download speed ;D

So get off the net so i can finish the last Kingdom
I Drink & I Know Things

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Can Australia internet handle what’s coming it’s way??
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2020, 08:53:35 AM »
could it be that a large majority of people are using ADSL/NBN for video conferencing/web calling/facetiming now, but not many people are using 4G for the same thing?

so your ADSL is getting hammered in the upload because of the extra bandwidth for video upload, but people are still using 4G for mainly downloads?
ADSL is throttled to max 2Mbps upload for everyone except business customers that pay for guaranteed up/down speeds over 50Mbps on the copper network.
And yes apparently the copper network can handle up/down speeds over 50Mbps, but not enough for everyone to have it that way.
I was quoted over $800/month for a guaranteed 50/50 connection to my property, hence the $2k install of my dual antenna 4G system instead.

The way 4G was explained to me when they where installing my system, is that it is heavily traffic dependent, even more so then ADSL.
I have an Optus branded modem running a Telstra sim.
During the installation they reconfigure the modem and discard the band settings forcing it to only work on the best channel for me.
Unfortunately our tower only has 2 bands.
One that everyone’s devices automatically connect to, the other that has upload speeds worse then my 0.85Mbps ADSL connection. :(

So unfortunately I’m connected to the tower with the rest of the town that are now working from home, and today’s speeds are only mildly better then yesterday.
Up= 12.1Mbps
Down= 1.5Mbps
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:00:31 AM by Pete79 »

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2020, 08:58:06 AM »
You guys need to stop complaining

My suburb must be the last one to get the NBN (June i have been told) at least it is Fibre to the Curb which is apparently quite fast

So for now the old ADSL modem is still chugging away giving me a blistering 5mb per sec download speed ;D

So get off the net so i can finish the last Kingdom
Ha!
The fiber cable literally stops at my driveway, but I’m zoned as rural and not allowed to connect to it.

Got given a verbal estimate of over $10k to run the cable 20m from the mini node in the footpath to my phone line.
Despite stepping on top of the fiber connection box every time I walk out my driveway, my only option for NBN is Skymuster satellite.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2020, 09:03:51 AM »
ADSL is throttled to max 2Mbps upload for everyone except business customers that pay for guaranteed up/down speeds over 50Mbps on the copper network.
And yes apparently the copper network can handle up/down speeds over 50Mbps, but not enough for everyone to have it that way.

is that just in your area?  or just your provider?

haven't heard of that restriction up here...

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2020, 09:11:35 AM »
is that just in your area?  or just your provider?

haven't heard of that restriction up here...
Telstra have told me on several occasions that all of Australia ADSL is throttled to max 2Mbps Upload.

I have never had a connection that got over 2Mbps Upload. That’s been that case for me living in NQ, SEQ and 5 different suburbs in Sydney.

Most people only care about downloading content, it’s only those of us that handle large files and do a lot of syncing with cloud based servers that notice this bottleneck.
Once you try and jam a big file up that little pipe your whole world stops.... ;)