Author Topic: Show us your Dual Cab/Wagon Touring set up  (Read 32602 times)

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Show us your Dual Cab/Wagon Touring set up
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2015, 09:06:22 PM »
Similar to nomad we did two weeks from Sydney to Birdsville, Innaminka etc with two adults and two kids around 7 and 4 at the time. In our 120 series Prado we had a cargo barrier with a box with the 47L ARB fridge in it. The box allowed us to pack against and on top of the fridge and still have ventilation etc. A roof basket had the second spare wheel and a roof top bag containing a 4 person dome tent, sleeping bags, air matresses, chairs and a slat table amongst some other stuff. Packed in and around the fridge in the wagon was food, drinks and water in tubs. Extra water in 2L coke bottles which can be stuffed in all sorts of gaps etc. Clothes in tubs as well and basic cooking equipment.

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
Similar to nomad we did two weeks from Sydney to Birdsville, Innaminka etc with two adults and two kids around 7 and 4 at the time. In our 120 series Prado we had a cargo barrier with a box with the 47L ARB fridge in it. The box allowed us to pack against and on top of the fridge and still have ventilation etc. A roof basket had the second spare wheel and a roof top bag containing a 4 person dome tent, sleeping bags, air matresses, chairs and a slat table amongst some other stuff. Packed in and around the fridge in the wagon was food, drinks and water in tubs. Extra water in 2L coke bottles which can be stuffed in all sorts of gaps etc. Clothes in tubs as well and basic cooking equipment.

"LIKE"  :cheers:
My 130 HCPU camper build - (now sold) http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=6733.msg240757#msg240757

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2015, 03:27:02 PM »
Any swaggers wanting to post up there fit outs?.. would be great to get some ideas ;)
My 130 HCPU camper build - (now sold) http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=6733.msg240757#msg240757

Offline StrvnMrvn

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • I get payed to go camping!!
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2015, 03:31:57 PM »
Mate, I would, but I'm still waiting for the dealership to put in the tub liner and canopy for me.

Can you wait until the end of the month?
Cheers

Strvy

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2015, 03:53:59 PM »
Mate, I would, but I'm still waiting for the dealership to put in the tub liner and canopy for me.

Can you wait until the end of the month?

:cheers:

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2015, 08:19:59 PM »
Any swaggers wanting to post up there fit outs?.. would be great to get some ideas ;)

I've got to go through my photos & get some decent ones

2011 BT-50, tub / canopy with 2 sets roof racks, rooftop tent, outback drawers, MSA fridge slide, 2nd battery, 2" lift, 2nd battery etc...

Have you started searching on eBay / gumtree for drawers, fridge slides etc...
My drawers are from a hilux, left space for the 2nd batteries.
You can cut / make the Sidewings to suit the BT-50 tub, the carpet is easy to get.

Here is a few pictures of the 2nd batteries.
Here is my dual battery arrangement:-

CTek D250S Dual & a Full river FAT100 (Front Access terminal) battery.

Sits in a cage behind the drawer system with a metal strap over it anchored to the drawers - space next to it for another battery.
Above is a 2500watt Pure Sine inverter.

Have 100 Amp fused switches for the electrics & 150 amp for the inverter, there is a switch panel down the back of the drawers at the tailgate for Anderson plugs, switches & cigarette light sockets

Wiring - 6B&S for the small stuff - 2 B&S for the big 150+amp cables
Mate & I brought an 8 tonne Hydraulic Crimper with a range of crimp dies - makes it a lot easier - particularly on the big cables (cheap as chips on ebay)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:22:36 PM by ATC »

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2015, 08:29:21 PM »
I've got to go through my photos & get some decent ones

2011 BT-50, tub / canopy with 2 sets roof racks, rooftop tent, outback drawers, MSA fridge slide, 2nd battery, 2" lift, 2nd battery etc...

Have you started searching on eBay / gumtree for drawers, fridge slides etc...
My drawers are from a hilux, left space for the 2nd batteries.
You can cut / make the Sidewings to suit the BT-50 tub, the carpet is easy to get.

Here is a few pictures of the 2nd batteries.
Here is my dual battery arrangement:-

CTek D250S Dual & a Full river FAT100 (Front Access terminal) battery.

Sits in a cage behind the drawer system with a metal strap over it anchored to the drawers - space next to it for another battery.
Above is a 2500watt Pure Sine inverter.

Have 100 Amp fused switches for the electrics & 150 amp for the inverter, there is a switch panel down the back of the drawers at the tailgate for Anderson plugs, switches & cigarette light sockets

Wiring - 6B&S for the small stuff - 2 B&S for the big 150+amp cables
Mate & I brought an 8 tonne Hydraulic Crimper with a range of crimp dies - makes it a lot easier - particularly on the big cables (cheap as chips on ebay)

"LIKE"...  :cheers: mate.. that already give me a link to the decent space saving 100ah battery... love you work... Can i ask what you have been running of the inverter in particular and the ah you getting ?..any chance you have a link to where you bought the battery from?...
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 08:42:39 PM by cucinadio »

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2015, 08:46:06 PM »
The front terminal batteries aren't cheap (Aussie solar seem to have good pricing) compared to convention shipped batteries.

I put a dirty big inverter in so we (read she) can run a full sized hair dryer when we go camping.

Typically I run a proper soldering iron to fix stuff, I live in an apartment block and the truck can't get near a mains power point.

BT-50 is a great truck, they need the suspension replaced, but there is lots of good brands out there.
Mine has just gone 3 years old, still get a smile when I get in it.

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2015, 08:50:42 PM »
The front terminal batteries aren't cheap (Aussie solar seem to have good pricing) compared to convention shipped batteries.

I put a dirty big inverter in so we (read she) can run a full sized hair dryer when we go camping.

Typically I run a proper soldering iron to fix stuff, I live in an apartment block and the truck can't get near a mains power point.

BT-50 is a great truck, they need the suspension replaced, but there is lots of good brands out there.
Mine has just gone 3 years old, still get a smile when I get in it.

:cheers: mate..... Wha did you replace the suspension with?... ours has only done 16k so far.. so will do suspension change out after i get it loaded out ;).. + it'll need a pretty heavy warranty to satisfy the lease insurance ...

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2015, 09:03:50 PM »
:cheers: mate..... Wha did you replace the suspension with?... ours has only done 16k so far.. so will do suspension change out after i get it loaded out ;).. + it'll need a pretty heavy warranty to satisfy the lease insurance ...

Ultimate Suspension - need to make sure that you have most of the big equipment in, good suspension places will want to weight the truck & talk about what you want to do...

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #60 on: January 05, 2015, 10:19:32 PM »
I have set up the Jackaroo so I can leave the CT behind and, without too much rearrangement, go camping places I can't / don't want to take the trailer .

In particular:
* Fridge (39 litre Autofridge with wired-in 12 volt timer) on slide in rear of the wagon' not in the CT.
* 2nd hand rear storage 'cage' as follows:
   Lower level;
   -   passenger side fridge slide,
   -   drivers' side 'under and over' draws,
       Draws can hold square nested saucepans / Trangia metho stove and pot set / food / tools as required.
   -   between the two, storage for water 'slabs' / compressor.
   Upper level;
   -   Shelf for solar panel suitcase, with room for inflatable sleeping mats on top.
   -   Above that, storage for clothes and equipment ( sleeping bags, back packs, etc.) & lightweight 3 person dome tent.
Passenger side of cage has Coleman stove attached via large 'Quick fist'
Drivers side of cage has large fire extinguisher attached, as well as a 3x D cell torch (quick fists) and first aid kit (occie strap).

Small roof basket has mount for 4.5 kg gas bottle, as well as room for camp chairs and small folding table.

AGM battery under bonnet, with a second in a powered box in passenger side rear foot well.

Shovel and axe rack on rear mounted spare wheel, with LED light attached.

Future:
* Removable water tank between rear seat and storage cage.
* sail track mount for side awning on roof rack.
* Jerry can mount on drivers side ( small ) rear barn door.

In addition, my equipment is sufficiently flexible to allow me to continue walking when the 4x4 track ends.   8)

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:46:17 PM by B&B »
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2015, 09:26:24 AM »
A few more images of the BT-50

What I've we've done so far, the Missus is also active in working out what we get (and helps pay for it):-
2" lift - Ultimate Suspension
Cooper ST-Maxx tyres (265-70-17) (standard tyres are 265-65-17)
TJM T13 Steel Bull Bar
TJM 9500Lb winch
TJM Snorkle
TJM bashplates (all 4 Radiator, sump, gearbox, transfer case)
Bushranger HID Driving Lights
Bight Lights LED Light Bar (low / mid priced)
ICOM UHF
Rhino Roof rack + cheap Rhino wire cage
Rhino SunSeeker II awning
EGR (Mazda factory) Canopy
EGR Heavy Duty Canopy Roof Racks
ARB Roof Top Tent (from eBay)
Outback Draws (from Hilux - brought through Gumtree) & side wings cut to fit
MSA Drop Slide (DS-60) - (from eBay)
Waeco CFX-50 fridge
CTek 250S Dual DC-DC battery charger
105 Amp hours Front Terminal battery
Mazda Towbar + factory rear recovery points

This was mid June / July on a trip in the State Forests behind Oberon

Same trip at the club campsite on the Wollondilly river, NSW

Not the most glamorous shot, taken on Fraser Island

The following users thanked this post: cucinadio

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2015, 01:21:26 PM »
I have a roof top tent on my canopy, I've also had it on the cab.

People have to make up their own mind about the convenience / inconvenience of them.
They are big, heavy create drag ad you're driving, but they are awesome!

I have the Heavy Duty Rhino Racks on my truck above the cab - rated at 100kg

On the canopy I have the EGR heavy duty roof racks Canopy- 2 lift up windows these are rated at 150kg.

My understanding is that these loads are the maximum load that you can have whilst the vehicle is moving (eg driving) it called the Dynamic Load. The Static Load eg weight they can take when not moving is higher.

Think G Forces when going around a corner, or breaking heavily - the Dynamic loads are much lower to accommodate the other various forces that a can  be normally subject to (cornering / breaking) and abnormally subject to - accident (sudden stop in 2-5 metres).

As for the Roof Top Tent it weights something like 50-70 kg, takes 2 of us to get it on or off.
But the missus is a exceptionally stunning slim little thing, unlike myself who rarely comes across something I don't like to eat (110kg +)

Biggest issue we've had is making sure the truck is level - so the bed is level.
I will use whatever is close at hand - rocks, MaxTrax, dig a hold etc... to adjust the wheel's so the bed is level.
Also wasn't much fun closing it up at 5am covered in frost with no gloves.

Has great midge proof screens, the ARB one I have is well made, open's easily and packs up almost as easily.
Once you get used to the ladder it's simple, there are straps to help get in  / out.

They are not for everyone, some people just won't like them, but if you live / travel when the snapping handbags swim & crawl then a RTT, or at least a deck on the rood is a good investment.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 01:34:23 PM by ATC »

Offline cyberess

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2015, 12:37:37 PM »

I have had my simple fit out up for a long time  http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=17679.msg555492#msg555492   -- I reckon the best thing that I did was to go for a alloy gull wing lift up door side door canopy, with spare wheel carriers  -- This has allowed, mounting under tray fuel tank (giving easy touring range of over 1400 Km) , easy mounting of Maxtraxs, electrical systems etc.  This being a different idea, if you like this idea it's best "not" to build out a tub setup, just replace the tub with a flat tray gull wing canopy setup and start from there.

I will let the pics tell the story

easy mounting of equipment

Large lift up doors give good shelter - I've been sitting comfortably in a camp chair underneath while it's been bucketing down with rain, it's a good place for mounting lighting systems.

As the alloy canopies are easy to have strong build in roof racks  -- great for carrying firewood.

There is plenty of other things that I done to make my setup a good Dual cab touring setup  -- anyway I hope this has added to your ideas.

The following users thanked this post: cucinadio

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2015, 07:33:43 PM »

Sounds great mate.. yes we are looking a similar ... thinking #oztent5 at the rear.. but will there be enough room to sleep four adults comfortably ?... #foxwing would be great if only it covered the rear of the truck more sufficiently..... so the tarp idea sounds like the go ..but we will also want ease of set up for one nighters ..

4 adults.......umm, we have an RV 4 and is barely big enough for 3 teenagers.

RV4/5 is great for two adults.

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2015, 02:59:56 PM »
4 adults.......umm, we have an RV 4 and is barely big enough for 3 teenagers.

RV4/5 is great for two adults.

We have an RV5 - They are 2.6mx2.6m you will get 3 adults on stretchers or 4 on sleeping mats (possibly 5 if you don't mind being very close - 4 N/S and 1 E/W).  We have had two adults on a double air mattress, 2 kids under 7 on mats and a 9mth old in a portacot in it though.

However get the optional side walls & front panel and you can turn the awning into a second room 2mx2.6m. Without the walls you could easily chuck a swag or two under the awning.
http://www.oztent.com.au/oztent-accessories/deluxe-front-panel#.VLSmGnkcSUk
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2015, 12:03:15 PM »
A few more images of the BT-50

What I've we've done so far, the Missus is also active in working out what we get (and helps pay for it):-
2" lift - Ultimate Suspension
Cooper ST-Maxx tyres (265-70-17) (standard tyres are 265-65-17)
TJM T13 Steel Bull Bar
TJM 9500Lb winch
TJM Snorkle
TJM bashplates (all 4 Radiator, sump, gearbox, transfer case)
Bushranger HID Driving Lights
Bight Lights LED Light Bar (low / mid priced)
ICOM UHF
Rhino Roof rack + cheap Rhino wire cage
Rhino SunSeeker II awning
EGR (Mazda factory) Canopy
EGR Heavy Duty Canopy Roof Racks
ARB Roof Top Tent (from eBay)
Outback Draws (from Hilux - brought through Gumtree) & side wings cut to fit
MSA Drop Slide (DS-60) - (from eBay)
Waeco CFX-50 fridge
CTek 250S Dual DC-DC battery charger
105 Amp hours Front Terminal battery
Mazda Towbar + factory rear recovery points

This was mid June / July on a trip in the State Forests behind Oberon

Same trip at the club campsite on the Wollondilly river, NSW

Not the most glamorous shot, taken on Fraser Island

:cheers: Mate.... looks the goods... we have tentatively decide to go the roof RTT route and awning ...I'll either build my own storage in the tub or track down a cheap set of S/H drawers... whatever comes first, and the rest on from there.

Any ideas re packing, cooking, storage etc would be great .. bring em on! 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:55:21 AM by cucinadio »

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2015, 12:04:28 PM »
I have set up the Jackaroo so I can leave the CT behind and, without too much rearrangement, go camping places I can't / don't want to take the trailer .

In particular:
* Fridge (39 litre Autofridge with wired-in 12 volt timer) on slide in rear of the wagon' not in the CT.
* 2nd hand rear storage 'cage' as follows:
   Lower level;
   -   passenger side fridge slide,
   -   drivers' side 'under and over' draws,
       Draws can hold square nested saucepans / Trangia metho stove and pot set / food / tools as required.
   -   between the two, storage for water 'slabs' / compressor.

:cheers: LIKE!
   Upper level;
   -   Shelf for solar panel suitcase, with room for inflatable sleeping mats on top.
   -   Above that, storage for clothes and equipment ( sleeping bags, back packs, etc.) & lightweight 3 person dome tent.
Passenger side of cage has Coleman stove attached via large 'Quick fist'
Drivers side of cage has large fire extinguisher attached, as well as a 3x D cell torch (quick fists) and first aid kit (occie strap).

Small roof basket has mount for 4.5 kg gas bottle, as well as room for camp chairs and small folding table.

AGM battery under bonnet, with a second in a powered box in passenger side rear foot well.

Shovel and axe rack on rear mounted spare wheel, with LED light attached.

Future:
* Removable water tank between rear seat and storage cage.
* sail track mount for side awning on roof rack.
* Jerry can mount on drivers side ( small ) rear barn door.

In addition, my equipment is sufficiently flexible to allow me to continue walking when the 4x4 track ends.   8)

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2015, 12:06:47 PM »
I have had my simple fit out up for a long time  http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=17679.msg555492#msg555492   -- I reckon the best thing that I did was to go for a alloy gull wing lift up door side door canopy, with spare wheel carriers  -- This has allowed, mounting under tray fuel tank (giving easy touring range of over 1400 Km) , easy mounting of Maxtraxs, electrical systems etc.  This being a different idea, if you like this idea it's best "not" to build out a tub setup, just replace the tub with a flat tray gull wing canopy setup and start from there.

I will let the pics tell the story

easy mounting of equipment

Large lift up doors give good shelter - I've been sitting comfortably in a camp chair underneath while it's been bucketing down with rain, it's a good place for mounting lighting systems.

As the alloy canopies are easy to have strong build in roof racks  -- great for carrying firewood.

There is plenty of other things that I done to make my setup a good Dual cab touring setup  -- anyway I hope this has added to your ideas.

:cheers:Mate i'd love to go the whole ally cab camper option.. but the SWMBO just not feeling it !!.. I won't mention on here the words she used but ..she is just not feeling it !..lol

Offline ATC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2015, 01:28:11 PM »
Did you point out it's easier to access the gear in there?

Getting stuff out of a Tub / Canopy is a PITA - and mine as Lift up windows, not the Slides - they are even worse.

Offline cucinadio

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2015, 02:49:23 PM »
Did you point out it's easier to access the gear in there?

Getting stuff out of a Tub / Canopy is a PITA - and mine as Lift up windows, not the Slides - they are even worse.

Yea mate,, all the pros and cons... but alas its not to be ..lol