Author Topic: Interesting read on electric cars  (Read 139668 times)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Interesting read on electric cars
« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2019, 01:38:40 PM »
Even a human can pull a plane on nice flat concrete ..
 The 2c question is : Now show us the EV 4x4 that can, fully loaded for bear, towing up to 2 t,   up hill and  down dale at the speed limit for 500 Km,  pull up at a Recharging point to charge up in 10 minutes to full and do it all again,   dont forget a couple of  auxilary portable battery packs to extend the range by a couple of hundred Km when out in the bush .. Till then people will keep what theyve got .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #126 on: May 10, 2019, 01:52:13 PM »
 The 2c question is : Now show us the EV 4x4 that can, fully loaded for bear, towing up to 2 t,   up hill and  down dale at the speed limit for 500 Km,  pull up at a Recharging point to charge up in 10 minutes to full and do it all again,   dont forget a couple of  auxilary portable battery packs to extend the range by a couple of hundred Km when out in the bush .. Till then people will keep what theyve got .
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #127 on: May 10, 2019, 02:24:50 PM »

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #128 on: May 10, 2019, 02:41:19 PM »
Would be nice to see it all  loaded / towing to the max and then see the figures  they get .. But Dohh the charge times and recharge  in the scrub .

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #129 on: May 10, 2019, 02:56:34 PM »

Was just putting facts to the lies.
I wont be purchasing one any time soon, but the facts are EVs can absolutely tow trailers, boats, ect.

From a 2017 test drive review;

Despite having a 1900kg caravan in tow, it’s not a problem on our mainly bitumen course with the Tesla’s regenerative braking, which can be switched off, washing off speed quickly once I take my foot off the accelerator.
As for acceleration, it’s real rush and unlike anything I’ve experienced in a tow vehicle, including a Toyota LandCruiser and RAM 2500.
With an estimated 386kW and at least 600Nm available from the get-go, the Model X gets up to speed very sharply and swiftly, not to mention quietly with just a whir from the dual motors and some tyre noise to disturb the ambience.

I call it quits at 90km/h but it feels like it could easily double that, surging almost effortlessly on only light throttle. It’s an addictive rush that most fossil fuel-powered tow tugs can only dream of delivering.
Driving solo, the Model X 75D is good for a 0-100km/h time of 6.2sec and a 210km/h top speed, so I can only imagine what it would be like towing with the top-spec 100kWh battery version that delivers 447kW and 1074Nm.

The Model X also feels very stable when towing, helped by a low centre of gravity, slick aerodynamic shape and close to 2500kg kerb weight. Munro’s Model X is fitted with the standard 20-inch wheels that allow towing up to the maximum 2280kg with the optional 22-inch wheels lowering that to 1588kg.

The height-adjustable air suspension offers some initial firmness but rides comfortably over some dirt sections, with just some minor wobble as the suspension makes minor adjustments while cruising at highway speeds.
Other highlights are a good turning circle and nice, lighting steering (in Comfort mode), while Trailer Sway Control (when operating) is a handy back-up feature.

Fitted with the 75kWh battery Tesla says the Model X will travel up 417km on a full charge, and the common consensus is that this would reduce by at least 30 per cent, or down to 300km when towing a two-tonne trailer.
Tesla ‘supercharger’ stations located between Melbourne and Brisbane on Australia’s east coast, which can deliver 270km into the battery in 20 minutes.

Not quite the 500km range and 10 minute refill that you're demanding, but there's still nearly 11 years to go before these evil EVs kill your weekends...
As noted in the fact check artical all major manufactures are working on EV (or hybrid) versions of thier current models, including F-Trucks and the Hilux.
It's pretty clear the PM's scare tactics are all BS and as I said in my first post in this thread, it doesn't matter what Bill or Scotty want, we'll get what we're given.

As much as it pains big Scotty, I'm not scared of the posibilty that one day I might own an EV with torque figures s***ting all over todays offerings....  :cheers:

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #130 on: May 10, 2019, 03:01:43 PM »
The Tesla Model X P100D produces 967Nm of torque, with a 2.25 ton towing capacity.

They are technically correct, they conviently don't mention it $200k price tag though.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #131 on: May 10, 2019, 03:05:05 PM »
They are technically correct, they conviently don't mention it $200k price tag though.

Actually I happened to look that one up.
That model Tesla comes in at almost the exact same retail price as a 200 Series Cruiser Sahara...

And based on the videos I've seen in the 'I got bogged at inskip' thread I'm thinking the Tesla probably goes just as well on sand as a 200 series..... :P   :-*

Edit;
Sorry, the Tesla in the road test artical costs the same as a 200 series, not the X P110D that you have quoted.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2019, 03:09:55 PM by Pete79 »

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #132 on: May 10, 2019, 03:08:07 PM »
The 2c question is : Now show us the EV 4x4 that can, fully loaded for bear, towing up to 2 t,   up hill and  down dale at the speed limit for 500 Km

I forgot to ask,
Can you give an example of any current 4x4 that can, fully loaded for bear, towing up to 2 t,   up hill and  down dale at the speed limit and get 500 Km from a single tank?

Before you start throwing out names like Cruisers and Patrols, the rules are "TOWING 2T, UP HILL, AT THE SPEED LIMIT" remember....  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #133 on: May 10, 2019, 04:34:01 PM »
Don't know about 2 Tonne but my D3 td6 averages 12.4 litres/100k with the Goldstream on the back, which comes in arouns 1750 kg. Easily sit on 110 highway and 100 normal. With an 82 litre tank I reckon I'd give it a nudge. :laugh:
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2019, 04:51:39 PM »
I forgot to ask,
Can you give an example of any current 4x4 that can, fully loaded for bear, towing up to 2 t,   up hill and  down dale at the speed limit and get 500 Km from a single tank?

Before you start throwing out names like Cruisers and Patrols, the rules are "TOWING 2T, UP HILL, AT THE SPEED LIMIT" remember....  ;D ;D ;D ;D
RAM 1500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #135 on: May 10, 2019, 05:26:12 PM »
RAM 1500

Winner!!!  :cup:  :cheers:

Old mate in a RAM towing a big arsed New Age asolutely left me for dead in my Triton with my 500kg trailer going up a decent incline on the highway at Christmas time. Very impressive...
I'm guessing it would take close to the 10 minute limit to fill those 121L tanks though... ;)

Offline JusyApples

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #136 on: May 10, 2019, 05:35:10 PM »

Old mate in a RAM towing a big arsed New Age asolutely left me for dead in my Triton with my 500kg trailer going up a decent incline on the highway at Christmas time. Very impressive...
I'm guessing it would take close to the 10 minute limit to fill those 121L tanks though... ;)
My old man has one. Said he didn’t notice his caravan on the back. My uncle in his ranger couldn’t keep up going through the blue mountains at Easter

Bought a what?
Researching my next camper

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #137 on: May 10, 2019, 07:04:52 PM »
RAM 1500

Check the axle capacities on the 1500 before plonking money down.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #138 on: May 10, 2019, 07:24:31 PM »
Re interesting read on electric cars

A S      I F
trot out a 5.5KVA  Gen set to power it ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline austastar

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #139 on: May 10, 2019, 08:40:30 PM »

I'm  guessing it would take close to the 10 minute limit to fill those 121L tanks though... ;)

Then switch it off 'cause it's gaining on you.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2019, 08:49:53 PM »

good chance a remapped 79 series would likely leave you behind also...surprisingly a couple of mates 200 series's struggle to stay with mine and another friends remapped 79's going up big climbs when towing similar sized vans. Going up Cunningham's Gap last week towing 2 tonne of caravan, the only thing to slow me up was the sharpness of one corner near the top.....towing our Kimberley Kamper I just keep going at the speed limit around that corner,  but with the caravan on the back I thought best to ease off on that corner for safety reasons.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: PWE

Offline Inland_Sailor

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #141 on: May 10, 2019, 09:57:33 PM »
What amazes me is these big rigs, Ram and Chevy, they are now getting the same sort of litres per hundred as the diesel 200 and they're on petrol! If your paying out that sort of money for a  tow vehicle, making a choice which way to go now seems to me to be very difficult decision!

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2019, 12:48:56 AM »
 ;D ;D Good onya Pete, Thats why it was a 2c question  ;D ;D
  Just wish these innovators Spruking all these flash numbers for this n that Electro buggy would actualy show real world test results .. Here it is loaded up with 400kg / 7 adults, fifteen kids and six dogs towing a 3500 kg trailer  just finishing a  640 km road trip up through the great diving range on one battery charge .. What a great electric buggy this is ..
But instead they say it can carry 400 kg payload .. But dont tell you the battery runs flat in 400 km .. yes it can tow 3500 kg but only gets 200 km to a charge etc etc ..
Yes it can get 640 km to a charge if its unloaded / driven by grandma and run on flat ground .. But then your trip is going to be put on hold for 10 hours till it recharges,  tuff bikkies if theres nothing at the other end to recharge from to get you back .
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 01:07:16 AM by edz »

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2019, 06:02:35 AM »
Exactly Edz, it's the same argument we used to have with people fitting LP-Gas to 4WD vehicles.
Where do you fill it back up, so you can get home again.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #144 on: May 11, 2019, 06:12:43 AM »
All fair points there.
I would just add one comment.

When you’re currently out exploring this big wide land do you notice how many little bush towns that have no servos?
Have you noticed that every single one of those towns have the lights on at night?

Just saying..... ;)

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #145 on: May 11, 2019, 07:14:25 AM »
Yep I would love one for my daily drive to work and back only 15 minutes each way,, if it was a fair price, As I can soon hook up 3 phase, for charging, and ally welding
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 11:25:45 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #146 on: May 11, 2019, 08:03:18 AM »
All fair points there.
I would just add one comment.

When you’re currently out exploring this big wide land do you notice how many little bush towns that have no servos?
Have you noticed that every single one of those towns have the lights on at night?

Just saying..... ;)

Ha ha, then 5 groups of green city dwellers turn up at 8pm (just as the footies starting ) and plug their cars in......overloads the little towns transformer and the city folk wonder why the towns people want to lynch them !!      ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #147 on: May 11, 2019, 08:14:29 AM »
Ha ha, then 5 groups of green city dwellers turn up at 8pm (just as the footies starting ) and plug their cars in......overloads the little towns transformer and the city folk wonder why the towns people want to lynch them !!      ;D ;D
I think you meant to say “the convoy of 12 grey nomads has slowly made their way up from Mexico, traveling 15km/h under the speed limit so they can save every volt along the way. They’ve pulled up at the free camp on the side of the highway just on the edge of the small town and shoved their 50 double adapters into the one power point to recharge their tow rigs and watch the telly and run the aircon and put a load of washing on and boil the kettle.”
They’re the ones that tripped the little towns transformer and the local caravan park is now complaining that said grey nomads haven’t stopped and plugged into the caravan park’s power point for the meager fee of $200 per night.... ;) ;D
The following users thanked this post: tryagain

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #148 on: May 11, 2019, 08:34:07 AM »
I think you meant to say “the convoy of 12 grey nomads has slowly made their way up from Mexico, traveling 15km/h under the speed limit so they can save every volt along the way. They’ve pulled up at the free camp on the side of the highway just on the edge of the small town and shoved their 50 double adapters into the one power point to recharge their tow rigs and watch the telly and run the aircon and put a load of washing on and boil the kettle.”
They’re the ones that tripped the little towns transformer and the local caravan park is now complaining that said grey nomads haven’t stopped and plugged into the caravan park’s power point for the meager fee of $200 per night.... ;) ;D
going by last weekends encounter....said grey nomad will likely just bust out there cheap noisey genny at the free camp and run it late into the night so they can sit inside watching television, then act surprised when I knock on thier door at 9.40 p.m telling them to turn the piece of crap off.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #149 on: May 11, 2019, 02:52:13 PM »
  Just wish these innovators Spruking all these flash numbers for this n that Electro buggy would actualy show real world test results

But that's the same with petrol / diesel fourbie reviews - the article says it's a top tow vehicle, but they hardly ever actually say what the tow capacity, payload etc is >:(
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday