Poll

Was/Is your experience?

Great
Good
So so
Poor
Pulling teeth was a better experience

Author Topic: NBN. What is your experience so far.  (Read 127756 times)

Offline Harbourmaster

• Tent User
  • Hard floor camper
Re: NBN. What is your experience so far.
« Reply #525 on: November 05, 2021, 08:31:10 PM »
We're on Skymesh went up to a better plan last month, absolutely no better so We're back on the cheap one. Phone reception is poor don't even know someone has tried to ring for a few hours sometime and calls constantly drop out when we do get through. but we aint moving.
2013 ex Telstra GU Patrol 2004 Kimberley Kamper

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
NBN. What is your experience so far.
« Reply #526 on: November 06, 2021, 11:56:35 AM »
We're on Skymesh

How do you find the speeds?
Do you notice them being throttled back during peak times?

And have you ever/what happens when you go over your allowed data?
I was of the understanding that they don’t slow your connection, they just cut you off for the rest of the month once you’ve reached your limit.

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #527 on: November 06, 2021, 12:10:36 PM »
Quote from: Pete79
they just cut you off for the rest of the month once you’ve reached your limit.
gee thats harsh ... also very 1990's style actions..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #528 on: November 06, 2021, 07:46:16 PM »
gee thats harsh ... also very 1990's style actions..
Maybe so Bird, but better than Telstra charging $10 per gig over and above your allocation. We got stung when we had to update a Windows10 PC, not realising we were on the cusp >:(. I think some of their plans still work like this :-[
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #529 on: November 06, 2021, 08:20:00 PM »
I have just finished a trail of super fast nbn with TPG
I had download speeds of 250-320 mbps but didn’t actually notice any difference in real life usage. So I declined the upgrade.
Approximately 1 month later
I get this

So it appears as I didn’t choose the higher cost plan, they are now dropping my upload speed
Lloyd

Sent from me

Offline Harbourmaster

• Tent User
  • Hard floor camper
« Reply #530 on: November 06, 2021, 09:22:25 PM »
How do you find the speeds?
Do you notice them being throttled back during peak times?

And have you ever/what happens when you go over your allowed data?
I was of the understanding that they don’t slow your connection, they just cut you off for the rest of the month once you’ve reached your limit.
Speeds do slow down at times but morning can be a bad as evening. If you go over with data it slows way down but no extra fee's.I use my tablet a bit more these days as it is with Optus and they have improved the service in our area recently, have considered changing phone over but we find it handy having telstra & Optus when travelling .
2013 ex Telstra GU Patrol 2004 Kimberley Kamper

Offline bkim

• Tent User
« Reply #531 on: November 07, 2021, 12:40:57 AM »
I have just finished a trail of super fast nbn with TPG
I had download speeds of 250-320 mbps but didn’t actually notice any difference in real life usage. So I declined the upgrade.
Approximately 1 month later
I get this

So it appears as I didn’t choose the higher cost plan, they are now dropping my upload speed
Lloyd

Sent from me

From what I have seen, most internet retailers are dropping their upload speeds to 20 Mbps, I think Telstra did it a while ago (check out the whirlpool forums) and a lot of the others simply now do not provide a 40 Mbps upload plan option at all, from the info I've seen, it appears that a lot of pressure from NBN is being applied to most providers to discontinue their legacy plans with 40Mbps uploads, unless you change to a 1000/50 plan

Incidentally you said your superfast trial gave you download speeds of 250 - 320, this was the download speeds (when on the superfast free trial) for the TPG 50/20 FTTP plan for at least the 10 people I know on that plan, I would have thought the 100 plan would be more similar to my experience.

I am on a legacy 100/40 FTTP TPG plan (have been since 2015) when I had the free 6 month super fast trial (which recently finished as I also didn't upgrade) my downloads were around 830 - 860, but the uploads stayed at 37 - 39, currently I'm still getting 107 - 108 down and 34 - 36 up.  I haven't received any info yet from TPG that my plan is going to change to a 100/20 plan, but following what I've seen from other providers changes to plans, it is simply a matter of time.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 12:55:30 AM by bkim »

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #532 on: December 06, 2021, 10:50:38 AM »
Have been on Telstra HFC for a while now with the 'superfast' add-on which is supposed to give 230Mbps max DL, but for once they have actually overdelivered as I hit >250Mbps regularly, sometimes as high as 300Mbps.  However the problem is the upload, 20-25Mbps is the norm which is a pain for working from home.  I would like to increase it but there really aren't any plans available apart from rather expensive business plans.

If anyone happens to be in the Strathpine area who is as nerdy as me and would like to do a dual-WAN setup let me know :D
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #533 on: June 22, 2022, 11:30:57 AM »
So having moved to peanut country a while ago I thought I would have been relegated to a couple of tin cans and a piece of string for my nbn connection.
Low and behold and surprisingly I have a near decent service. Connected by Fixed wireless as I am on the outskirts of town and no fibre to my subdivision.
Have been getting 75-85Mb down and 12-20Mb upload with 20-35ms ping times.
My next door neighbour isn't so lucky and is lucky to get 30Mb down.
What's the difference you ask? Well my mate Claude visited recently who up until retirement last year was an NBN installer. He looked at my roof and said how lucky I was to have the new type of antenna/Connection which has dual routes back to the tower where my neighbour has the older type with a single route.
Can be lucky sometimes.
Now back to setting up my new pfsense router appliance so I can implement my vlans to segregate my IOT devices and cameras from my main network. VPN access is also on the agenda for when I am travelling to get to my music server  ;D
Retirement is so much fun lol 
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #534 on: July 14, 2022, 02:32:16 PM »
I know there are a few people on here that are hooked up to the Neilsen SamKnows boxes.

Over the last several days, when I've gone to run a manual speed test, it's shown "Searching for a compatible router" but then brings up a new tab showing:

"Your router doesn’t work with RealSpeed

RealSpeed tests from inside your router. That means you need to have a SamKnows enabled router to run this test."

Sent a message to Neilsen asking them if things are working properly or not, & just got this back:

"Please be advised that, going forward, you will no longer be required to run a RealSpeed test as the functionality has been removed.

Also, the Android and iOS speed test apps have now been withdrawn from their respective app stores. If you already installed the App, please remove it from your mobile device.

What will happen with the Quarterly Bonus?

Your Quarterly Bonus Points will still be awarded without the need for the bi-monthly RealSpeed tests.

However, note that the requirements to remain consistently active for the quarter and complete the survey when sent to you still stand.

When does this change take effect?

Please consider this change of requirement effective immediately.

Furthermore, I have checked your Whitebox device, as per Samknows, it is connected successfully."

Strikes me as somebody didn't tell somebody else that changes were being made ??? ::)

But, if you notice any funny messages on your Sam, it should still be OK, & them points keep rolling in! ;D (I'm currently at 1350, & 1500 = $150 at the BGS, in exchange for doing absolutely nothing, so I'm happy! ;D)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday